Solymar Beach Resort

Boulevard Kukulcan Km. 18.7, Zona Hotelera 2A Seccion, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

Solymar Beach & Resort
Hotels.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 29% less but rated 14% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Cancun's worst hotel

I am a 21-year-old college student, and I traveled to the Solymar with my group for spring break of 2011. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. To begin the staff is extremely rude and is always asking for tips and only a handful could even speak a few words of English. The only employees that did their job were the cleaning crews, which were great minus the fact of not changing sheets or only fresh towels every couple of days. I bought inclusive and the food was of lower quality than dog food and made our entire group sick to the point were by the weeks end we had no choice but to go out and pay even more money to get an edible meal. Second the bottles at the bar were not even labeled and the beer warm. The worst part of the bar was the fact they would rinse out used plastic cups and serve them to others. This only contributed to the sickness. The rooms were average at best. You do not get what you pay for with this hotel even as a college student, especially since it is one of the furthest hotels from downtown Cancun. All in all if it were not for being a college kid looking for a good time this place would have ruined the entire trip.

Directions: southern most hotel on cancun strip

• KrisChicago's Profile Photo

Budget with a Kick

I stayed at the Solymar Beach Resort for 4 nights in June 2005. This hotel is great ! The hotel is low budget, but dont let that sway your decision. Our room had a kitchenette, complete with microwave, stove, fridge, cabinets & table/chairs. The room was ocean view with a beautiful view. Upon arrival at the hotel we checked into our room-it wasnt oceanview, so we requested a room change at the front desk and they upgraded our room with no problems/no extra cost. The room was huge, the hotel grounds were beautiful.

• Robert_Hun's Profile Photo

A typical condo complex

I spent a week here in November 2003 which was not in the high season.
    This resort is located a bit far from the center which, of course, gives some pros and cons, too.
    The garden, the pool and the beach were great, but my room was not too nice (a bit shabby and smelling with "random" house-keeping).
    I was on an all-inclusive plan but as the resort was almost empty (this made me feel even stranger for the place), it was only á la carte with a rather "narrow scale".
    Nevertheless I could get a very good package deal, so all in all: somewhat "medium"

Unique Quality: Great pool and location of the restaurant (as you can see on the picture).
    Lovely beach but unfortunately at the time of my stay the weather was so windy that I couldn't stay out longer than 15 minutes.

• kimod74's Profile Photo

Nice, quiet little hotel on a great beach!

We booked our package at the Solymar through Apple Vacations. My husband and I DID NOT do the all inclusive for this hotel. We arrived at the Solymar on Tuesday February 17th, 2004. The lobby is bright and airy with a magnificent view of the ocean. The front desk staff greeted us cheerfully and checked us in promptly although we were not allowed into our room until 3 p.m. Which was fine.
    They hold your luggage for you if you want, we let them and we headed down to the beach bar. My husband and I were wary at first about this hotel because it got such mixed reviews from people. I found this hotel to be very clean, open and airy. Our room was on the 3rd floor up facing the parking lot, but with an ok view of the lagoon. Our room was clean and neat. We had a balcony we could sit on also.
    I don't suggest doing the all inclusive at this hotel (too expensive, food sucks) nor do I suggest eating there and paying for it!
    The staff is nice, the rooms are clean, and I would suggest hopping on the bus and trying the many different restaurants in Cancun, there are many to choose from and they are wonderful! Solymar is great, just don't do the ALL INCLUSIVE!!

Unique Quality: The beach bar is great, but the downside to it is that it closes at 5 p.m.!! UGH!! If you do not do the all inclusive you cannot pay cash at the beach bar (except to tip) you will have to run a tab and then you can pay your tab with your credit card. We found the bartenders to be very friendly. We ordered can beer (Sol) it was about $3 U.S. per beer (Mexico ain't cheap anymore, at least not Cancun)
    There are safes in the rooms, they are $1 U.S. per day to use them though. We tipped an average of $2 per day for our maid, $1 per luggage for the transfer/taxi drivers and bellboys, etc.
    The beach was great, beautiful white sand, nice and clean. A few vendors but they didn't bother you too much, just close your eyes and sunbathe, they will only come up to you if you look at them in any sort of way. On a

Directions: It is very close to the airport, only about a 10-15 minute ride away.

More about Solymar Beach Resort

Villa in need of many repairs!

We recently stayed at the Solymar Beach Resort, in a 3 bedroom Villa.
There was 6 of us and we were there a full two weeks. The grounds were very well kept and the housekeeping, grounds crew, activity staff, and craft staff were absolutely fantastic. I can not express enough how fantastic they are.

I wish I could say the same for our villa. We arrived on December 20th. When we entered, the villa smelled very moldy. Later we found out why(will explain later). We were supposed to have a fully furnished kitchen. There was only 5 glasses, 3 spoons, 3 knifes, no mixing bowls, no juice pitcher, fry pans were all in very poor condition, no sharp knifes, no type of small kettle pan. We asked for these items and nothing ever arrived. We had to make a trip to the store to purchase most of these, just so we could cook something. The refrigerator (with wall paper border around the front) was very old, small and didn't work, (even though it was plugged in). It also had no shelfs except in the door. We called maintenance and they came and said we had to turn a dial on the back every time it quit working. We had to turn it every few hours to keep it going (which meant that we had to get up while sleeping to check the refrigerator). The following day, the refrigerator went out completely. Maintenance came and replaced the switch. He said it would be fine after he removed the switch. We went to the grocery store to pick up food. It worked for about 18 hours before it went out. This time our food was spoiled because it went during the night. We called maintenance again and he came a defrosted the unit. It was completely built up with frost and it had only ran for that 18 hours. The inside was so warm we lost our food and the coils that were hidden were completely frosted up.
We replace the food and brought it back and it went out again. This time they said they would put our food in the resorts cooler in their store. Which meant, everytime we wanted anything (even a can of pop) we had to go to them to get it! The maintenance man came the next morning and said they would have to order parts so we would have to go without for 2-3 days because now it was Christmas! This villa was supposed to have a complete kitchen. We planned on cooking most of our meals in and no where to put any food. We insisted on a different referator and they claimed they didn't have one. They finally came up with a "mini" refrig. This one had two small shelves about 6" tall each and no shelves in the door, because they were broke. But, it was better than nothing. At this point we have wasted 4 days of our vacation dealing with a refrigerator. We couldn't go anywhere or do anthing because of the problems with our food spoiling. During this time, never did they even offer to give us a meal at no charge or even replace our food. It was a fight just to get a refrig that even worked! We checked in the 20th and finally received the "mini" refrig on the 24th!!! This one leaked water from it defrosting. We had to keep towels on the floor around the refrig to prevent it from flowing into the walk areas.

On the morning of the 21st we reported that our air conditioner didn't work in one of the bedrooms. Then, we went to use our blender and it didn't work. We called maintenance again and they came and got it to work with jiggling it in electrical socket. Then they said we had to hold the cord in place to have it work. The blender only would work on one speed. The remainder of the speeds didn't work at all. We needed this blender to make pancakes because we didn't have any mixing bowls.
We also went to make toast and that didn't work either. After two days I took the broken one up to the front desk and they brought us a new one. This toaster was also used and would toast only one side of the bread at a time.

On Christmas eve, December 24th, it rained during the night. When we woke in the morning, there was water everywhere in the villa. Our bedspread had been at the bottom of our bed and was completely soaked from the roof leaking. In the master bedroom 3/4 of the room was covered with water. The master bathroom was flooded along with the closets in the master bedroom. The living room leaked down the walls and through the ceiling. In fact, we had a telescope that got wet from the ceiling leaking. The stairway had water running down them like a small water falls. The kitchen had water in the laundry area and around the sink area. We called for towels to clean it up and nobody delivered them. We had to wait for housekeeping to arrive to clean up the mess.
In the mean time, we had to walk very carefully to make sure that we didn't fall on the wet floor.

December 25th, they brought another party to our villa. The other party tried to come in. They said they had it reserved for the week!

December 26, we had a liquid propane leak in our unit. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone down to check it out.
Two hours later, nobody there yet. We called again and once again they said they would send someone down. After about a half an hour I went to the front desk, and they called maintenance right away. Liquid propane is a very dangerous gas. We could have been blown up. I can't believe this was not handled immediately!

December 26th. They finally fixed the broken air-conditioner. They replaced it with a different unit that worked. Why didn't they do that right away????

December 31st. The blender finally quit completely. They did bring us a new one that worked great!

Other things in general that didn't work: The lawn chairs on the deck were broke and unable to be used. The legs on the patio table were completely rusted through. We stacked the furniture in the corner so nobody would sit on them and fall to the ground. No batteries in any of the remotes and many lights through out the villa didn't work. The living room furniture was musty smelling with small spots of mold.

We tried to make the best of things while we were there. So many things were wrong. For the price we paid for our lodging one should think we shouldn't have had to tolerate this type of villa. Never was any type of compensation offered. Not even for our food that spoiled and had to be replaced. We wasted so many days of going places and doing things because of the problems. We have wrote to the manager at the Solymar and the travel agent who booked the villa. Neither has replied. You may want to consider staying elsewhere!

Great Little Resort

We just returned from a long weekend at the Solymar in Cancun. It was a last minute trip and the cost was incredibly low. The trip had been booked before I read the reviews below, and I was a little concerned, but quickly changed my mind when we arrived. It was a perfect little resort. We had a very nice first floor room which lead out to a patio.
Just beyond was the pool, and then a lovely view of the ocean. The room was clean and provided a number of extras like hairdryer, frig, microwave, toaster, etc. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, the pools were excellent, and the food was good.

The only thing I can say about the negative reviews would be if you wanted to stay at the Ritz Carlton, then PAY and stay at the Ritz Carlton. Attitude people - it's all in the attitude: Expect less and be pleasantly surprised when you get more. We could find nothing wrong with this hotel and had a wonderful time.

Quick Getaway

With rates like $288.00 (tax included) for roundtrip airfare and hotel for 3 nights one never knows what to expect.

The Solymar is at the far south end of the hotel district, a bit older than some it is none the less not a bad location for a quiet stay.

Our check-in was quick and painless, the staff at the desk was not as helpfull as could be, but with a few questions they provided good answers.

Our roon was on the 3rd floor on the lagoon side, it was neat and clean, the airconditioning worked fine, no bugs were observed and best of all it was quiet.

We stayed on the European Plan and only ate one breakfast at the hotel.
The hours of operation for meals appeared to be a helpful suggestion but I wouldn't count on eating on a schedule.

There is a bus stop (15 pesos) just 200' from the hotel entrance and the bus runs so frequently we never waited more than a minute or two.
The run up the Isla is about 20 minutes and if you ask the bus driver when you board they are quite good at remembering your stop.

Everyone else who stayed from our tour group seemed to have about the same experience and we didn't know of anyone who had a bad experience.
The Solymar isn't a 5 star hotel, and if that is what you are expecting then you will be dissappointed. However, for a budget hotel it was just fine, and you can't expect more than clean, neat and efficient.

I have rated the Solymar above average as a budget hotel. The pool was nice and clean the beach has a few rocks (as does the whole area), the staff was helpful if asked. The cleaning staff was excellent and the room was always spotless.

The food was not up to expectations so I probably wouldn't recommend the all inclusive plan (not a good idea anyway with so many great places to eat in Cancun).

We'd stay there again for discount rates but at full rack rates you'd be better off at the Riu or another more central hotel.

Admittedly we were at the hotel in the off season, but it was quiet and restfull, their policy is to not allow spring breakers and so it might be fine year round.

I loved it!!

I stayed in a few resorts in cancun during my visit, and all i can say is that this one was by far the best. All The hotels share a big beach there, which means pretty much all the hotels beaches are the same. I found at the Solymar that the staff was very friendly, they even knew my name and room number. The bar tenders made Ok drinks, but would go to such great lengths to please you it didnt matter. And if you give them a few dollars before you start to binge drink the service is almost awesome. I actually had one bartender light my cigarettes for me. In conclusion, if you want a cheap all mexican vacation choose this resort.

Reasonable Value, Great Beach...

by TripAdvisor Member Denverdavo

My partner and I just returned from a week at the Solymar during the Christmas holiday. We had a nice ocean-view room and the beach was beautiful. The food was excellent, which was great because there's only one restaurant available. The service at the bars and restaurant was also great, however we did have some problems with the room initially that took some time to resolve. But in the end, the staff came through for us and our stay overall was very pleasant. Remember, this is really a condominium/timeshare hotel...don't expect service like you might receive at the 4 or 5 star resorts. You can do the all-inclusive plan on a day by day basis for $35/pp which we did on one day when we planned to lounge on the beach, etc. It was worth it for that one day, but there is not enough variety in restaurants and bars to justify it for an entire week. The beach area was great, and considerably quieter than the north end closer to Cancun Centro. However, there are no other options close by for food other than one hotel next door (all others nearby seemed to be all-inclusive or condos). But, the bus is convenient and runs frequently for 6 pesos (55 cents!). As for the other rooms in the hotel, we had a chance to see some of them. If you can't get an oceanview room, you may not be pleased....but then again, how long do you spend in your room anyway? Overall, we were pleased with this hotel...mostly because we arrived without any expectations...and a beach on Christmas Day? How could we complain!

Not quite what we paid for.

We paid for the all inclusive package which was to include a ocean view room. When my wife and I checked in to the Solymar we were told our room with the ocean view was already occupied by another guest and we were to be put in a regular room. The woman told us we can discuss our problems with the manager, but the manager told us that he could do nothing unless we pay an additional cost. Some perks of the hotel would be how clean the room were. The food was average.

Hotel Solymar Beach Resort

by KrisChicago

Ok so I've read good and bad reviews...has anyone stayed here ? I will be staying at the hotel from June 30th-July 4th...any comments on the hotel ? Pleaes let me know...also does anyone know of any hole in the wall or mom and pop places to get good eats ?

Comments