4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 71% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• africateach's Profile Photo

Peaceful and Quiet

I believe that most everyone that posted positivie comments either on this site or Trip Advisor had it absolutly correct! We had a great time!!! I do not want to bore you with the same comments, but add a few things that are not listed... at least not up to the point I am writing this!

1. When you arrive you are greeted nicely and ushered to the front. We checked in and spoke to guest services about confirming spa treatments for my wife. It was brought to my attention that if we did the tour of the Beach Palace, sister property down the road about 5 miles, that we would recieve another 200 towards spa treatments. We were told it would be about 1 and 1/2 hrs of our morning, no hard sell and then brought back here. Ok, why not for the extra $$$. We arrived there and were brought up to the sports bar lounge where they wanted us to provide our credit cards for some lottery... no way! Then the guide actually sat with us at breakfast while we ate and asked the common questions. We explained our financial situation, but decided to look at rest of property. It was nice. We went back down and this is where it became about the sell. We told the woman that we werent doing it and she brought over the manager, we told him, he brought over his manager and finally my wife became ill and they let us go. Not a "hard" sell like I have seen, but more than 1 1/2 hrs. So if you are staying for a week or so, may be worth it. If not, go to the pool instead!!! The whole thing is for 25 years you are a "member" that means you get some perks and it starts at around 29,000 up to 50,000---not pesos!!!

2. Rooms were great! Some ants, but no big deal.

3. You may want to get upgraded to consierge level if you want to be on the beach the whole time because you can only use their "nicely padded" deck recliner chairs with that upgrade. We would suggest it to all that will be on the beach versus the pool area. They are very good at setting up umbrellas and bringing drinks/food if you want it.

4. Tratto restaurant was not worth the dress up--which actually you could wear jeans.

5. Steak and Alamo are actually same restaurant, but it spilts inside/outside to patio at night. Still very good and Christian is an incredible waiter. He brought good wine and after eating in his section all week, he knew what we wanted and even made some spicy extra sauce for me.

6. Oriental restaurant area rocked! Very good Pad Thai and sushi. I would like to see the menu a little bigger, but what I found funny is that at the Beach Palace, you have to dress formal at their "Wok" restaurant and here you didnt. Same exact menu!!! They opened for an early dinner 5ish and we could go there, grab a few sushi rolls and have some drinks before heading to dinner! It was very windy where we were there, so a light sweater or wrap would be good if you are easily chilled. The view is not great here as it faces an older looking condo building.

7. Gave us 100 credit towards jewerly store after paying 11 in taxes, but worth it if you see something.

8. I would like to see the Palace resorts here have a shuttle to take you to each property so you could check it out without having to go through the membership thing.

Unique Quality: Very quiet with no kids a plus!
    Good food and good service.
    Room was very nice view (get deluxe oceanview or higher before you go or as an upgrade so you dont face another condo building that looks degraded.
    Wife said massages were great.

• queencreekfreak's Profile Photo

Sun Palace / All Inclusive Experience

I have been to Cancun numerous times. The Sun Palace is my all time favorite place to stay in Cancun. Not too big, not too much going on, just right.

This hotel is right on the beach. The beach here is wonderful with big surf and a great view of the cove and the hote strip.

Our rooms are usually a suite with a sitting area. and a balcony. If you are lucky you might get a room that faces the beach. The other side of the hotel faces the lagoon and the street. I've had both and prefer the beach side view.

After staying at Sun Palace a few times we decided to venture out and stay at the Moon Palace. After one night we asked to be moved to the Sun Palace. Luckily they had openings that week and we were moved with little hassle at all.

If you are younger you may want a more lively hotel but for us in the 40-60 age bracket this is an excellent hotel.

Unique Quality: The beach is the best. As beautiful as the photos. White sand, clear blue water. There are two pools and they are up above the beach so you can get another excellent view from there.

All inclusive baby! Our bartenders made excellent drinks for us. If you want more alcohol, just ask, they will accomodate.

The food was decent. There is always a buffet somewhere going on. The breakfast bar is the best. Tons of fresh fruit. The kitchen will make anything to order. Mimosas are available in the morning too! Gotta love it!

Nice clean rooms. A little older hotel but not run down. Great helpful staff.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Cancun Sun Palace - Great location

We stayed at the Sun Palace for four days on our trip to Cancun. I really enjoyed the hotel. It's an all inclusive resort with a great pool and lots of goings-on. There are always watersports going on in the pool, parties at night and we had a fashion show once out by the pool which wasn't too hard on the eyes!

Like most of Cancun, food and drink are plentiful (Corona was served in a brown quart bottle!). The staff was pleasant.

It's on the south end of the hotel zone. We took either the bus or a taxi to get places. The bus was just as good as the taxi and less expensive as well.

The Hotel also runs the Beach Palace and the Moon Palace as well which may be good alternatives if this one is full.

Unique Quality: Our room had a nice two person Jacuzzi and a comfortable bed. The Towels for the Jacuzzi were folded in the shape of swans and were sitting on the steps leading to the Jacuzzi. That would be a nice touch for my house. I need to find out how to fold a towel into a swan!

Directions: On the south side of the Hotel Zone. It's one of the first Hotels you will pass when you come into the city from the airport.

• Jackie1688's Profile Photo

Newly remodeled and beautiful

The Sun Palace is at the southern end of the hotel zone. It is definitely an upper class hotel. The service was superb. Immaculate hotel. Staff was very friendly. It's a small enough hotel that you could get to know the staff, management, and other hotel guests. There is nothing I would improve at this hotel. Angel our bartender was cute, friendly and attentive. Food was great. Ambience I would describe as romantic. Perfect for honeymooners.

Unique Quality: The pool is small but clean and right on the ocean. Activities going on all the time at the pool. There is another pool for people who don't want to be bothered with activities.

• holligolytly's Profile Photo

Sun Palace Resort

Sun Palace is one of those All-Inclusive types of resorts where you pre-pay for your lodging and meals.

Unique Quality: This hotel might be considered more 'family oriented' than alot of the places in Cancun, although there was plenty of drinking activities that went on all day. I went here with my parents and brothers so we didn't partake in most of the wild partying going on.

More about Sun Palace

Fantastic vacation @ the Sun Palace!!!

We read both positive and negative responses before our trip, and was only slightly concerned. As soon as we stepped into the lobby we were sure that we had made the right decision to stay at the Sun Palace!! We were greeted with pina coladas and at the desk we met a couple from PA that had returned after a previous vacation there, and had only the best reviews about the Sun Palace! The staff were completely gracious, helpful, caring, professional & entertaining. We always felt welcome.
We were very sad to depart. We visited other hotels while there, but will return to the Sun Palace on a return vacation to Cancun!!

Sun Palace was great

by TripAdvisor Member LKPM

We spent the week of July 20-27th at the Sun Palace. The rooms were spotlessly clean as was the hotel and the food was incredible. We visited the Cancun Palace, the Moon Palace and the Xpu Ha Palace, but felt much more comfortable at the Sun Palace. Since it is smaller than the other resorts, you get much personalized attention and the food seems much fresher. I would definitely return there for another vacation.

Loved the Sun Palace!!

We went to Cancun July 20th thru the 25th. We really loved our hotel, the Sun Palace, it was the best of of all the Palace resorts. My husband played golf at the Moon Palace and we visited the Cancun and Beach Palace. Our room was very large and really nice. Beautiful view of the ocean, pool, and beach from our balcony. We loved the mixed drinks they served at the bar. If anybody out there knows what is in the Electric Lemonade, let me know, I loved it and haven't found anyone here who can make it. We went to the Hard Rock and Planet HOllywood, both had good food, and were lots of fun. Speaking of food, the Sun Palace has WONDERFUL food and SUPER deserts. I gained six pounds!! It was a wonderful vacation. Nothing but good things to say about the people and the place.

loved the sun palace

after reading some of the reviews of the Sun Palace i guess it just goes to show that you just cannot make some people happy. we arrived early - around 10:00am and were in a room by 11:30 - we were with our 2 sons (17 and 10) and with the rollout couch had plenty of room for all.
staff was great, food was great, activities were great for both kids and adults. we thought we would tire of the food but never left the hotel to eat as the selection was varied and all meals were very good.
on the south end of strip so very quiet and close to airport. because the hotel had only 200 or so rooms it was easy to meet other couples with children and the staff knew you after the first day. as a world traveller and having stayed in many 5 star hotels the Sun Palace exceeded our expectations.

Sun Palace nice and relaxing

My husband and I took our first trip to Cancun and enjoyed the Sun Palace. All the staff were friendly and very helpful to our needs. If you are a beach person then beware, everyday we were there (Aug 13-20) they posted a red flag for no swimming so you had to resort to walking down the beach in front of other hotels if you wanted to enjoy the water. Plus their section of beach is loaded with rocks. Our room was very clean but only one night did they do a nightly turn down, where I read other reviews that said they did it nightly. Drinks were weak but all you have to do is ask for them stronger and it's not a problem.
Angel in the lobby bar was the best. Pool was never overcrowded. Event staff were very entertaining. Food was very good. Not a huge selection from the ala carte menus but whatever we chose was always good. The Italian resteraunt Salvatore was the better the 2. Aurora for breakfast was great. Tried Cancun Palace and it was more for me. More upbeat and energetic, better music by the pool but more people running around.
Their section of beach was so much nicer than Sun Palace. Moon Palace was beautiful but we felt a bit overwhelmed because both Moon Nizuc and Moon Sunrise are so huge. It is a must see though and worth the short trip. All in all if you want a nice, quiet relaxing vacation Sun Palace is for you. As for me and my husband, we'll head to Cancun Palace next year.

Sun Palace: Our 20th Anniversary Adventure

by TripAdvisor Member ray53chevy

My wife and I are age 40, professionals, first timers in Cancun and went without kids for our 20th Anniversary. We were there from August 3rd to the 7th, 2003. At the time that we were looking at reviews, our hotel was rated 14 on the list, but has since dropped to 26th at this writing. We looked on the Internet, and saw the photos of the hotel and the beach, but mostly, we put a lot of faith into the comments on TripAdvisor.Com. You can pretty much get an up to date look at what was going on, so I am returning the favor.1.Airport: we arrived on time, but there was a long wait for customs at Mexico. We were prepared and brought pens and filled out the forms on the plane. We had our marriage certificate and birth certificates, and had no hold up with customs, but, next time we will have passports. It also might have also helped because I spoke some Spanish. If you get that feeling like you are talking to a car salesman be wary. One smooth talker almost got me to go for a free trip and $96 dollar value for free entrance to Xcaret. Just as long as we can visit tomorrow only to the Newly Built Grand Opening for the Mayan Palace. I was weary of Timeshare. And walked away when I got that feeling. I later found out that it is not affiliated with the Sun Palace. Our travel agent from Liberty Travel informed us about whom to see. We were met by our travel van and made it to the hotel after about 15 minutes.2. The Sun Palace: The hotel is nice. We were met at the lobby and sat in the bar as they brought us our drinks. The lobby did smell musty, but what the heck we didnt have to live there. They told us to go to our rooms and our luggage would be up. The room was fantastic and freezing. The balcony was great. The Jacuzzi worked. We just wanted to go swimming, so we did. It was wonderful. The pool was warm, the beach did have some rocks showing but you could safely go around them and into the water. The Carribean Sea was crystal clear and such vibrant colors of blue and green. The weather was sunny the whole time, despite what the weather channel predicted. The drinks were available at anytime. We never had anyone come up to us (on the beach or the pool) and ask us what we wanted to drink. Which is one the perks I was looking for, but the bar wasnt that far away. We had our first meal at lunchtime by the pool. The food overall was just as I read; Bland, average, OK, but not as rich in flavors that my wife and I are used to. Italian dinner was below Par for the both of us and had a very limited Menu. I said it over and over again about our hotel I am in Mexico and I caint get no Coronas, Enchiladas, or refried Beans (Pinto, they had black beans).3. Monday : The trips that were promised were not available because there were no spaces. So we went to the Aventura Spa Palace(ASP) for the Aromatherapy Massages $180. We left at 930 in the morning. Man was it worth it. The ASP was quite extravagant and lived up to its image on the internet. The Spa was beautiful, lockers provided and I kept the keys until we left at 6:30. The masseuse Roscio was fantastic and professional (I told her that she could have my house and the car.) I felt so relaxed after yesterdays flight. I was truly stress free. We swam around the manmade lagoon and saw plenty of fish. The pool was nice on the spa side, but walk past all the buildings and there is another larger pool to the south of the ASP. It was a little louder and people were having more fun on this side. It was really a far better place than at the Sun Palace. And here they did come around and ask if we wanted drinks. Tuesday: We traveled by bus into Cancun city on our own and went to the Mercado. They were very pushy, but, we didnt feel uncomfortable. We grew tired after a while. The heat is too much us so we went to the Beach Palace and left quickly, too crowded. We then went to the Cancun Palace, just as crowded, but more room. The lunch buffet was better here. We went back to the Sun Palace and took showers and fell asleep. We woke up and went swimming and on the Jet Ski for $40 for 30 minutes. The sea was a littly choppy but we laughed and had a great time. We suntanned, swam, drank and ate some more. At 8:00 pm we left and went to Senior Frogs, but the bus left us up a little past and we walked back. There were people from all over the USA here, some as young as 8 to a senior couple celebrating 50 years together. The atmosphere was everyone having a great time. We got home around 11pm and ordered room service and it came in about 30 minutes later. Not too bad. Wednesday: We went to the Isla de la Mujeres on our own by bus. $30 for the ferry plus return included. We found someone to take us snorkeling for $40 for an hour with a few more guests. They took us snorkeling and I saw the Virgin Mary Statue by the lighthouse for an hour. Then they said that we were gonna go somewhere else to snorkel some more, I figure no problem. But really we were kidnapped for an additional 2 hours. The boat captain of the SEA ANGEL said for an additional 20 dollars you could eat with us and our other guests. If not just swim or pay money to swim with some toothless sharks. I told him that was not part of the deal. He knew how angry we were that he sent us back on another boat and we barely made it back to our last ferry. We couldnt wait to get back to the Sun Palace to eat and drink. So we did and we celebrated our 20th Anniversary with a nice sit down dinner at the Sun Palace.Overall we traveled and had a little Adventure, which was what we wanted, but now we are back in Pittsburgh, PA. Its nice to be in our home! Feel free to email with any questions Thanks.

Sun Palace BreakfastSun Palace Breakfast

On the beach at the Sun PalaceOn the beach at the Sun Palace

Beach at Sun Palace AwesomBeach at Sun Palace Awesom

Lobby at the Sun PalaceLobby at the Sun Palace

moon palace

by mabey

hows the weather in sept/oct

any comments in moon palace

by ladyfisher

Well the weather was great last Sept when I was there high 80's the entire time. We didn't stay at the Moon Palace but what us ironic this is where my company had our corp. trip booked until 9-11 hit and they canceled! ( this is wat my husbund took me for a weekend) From all the promo items I recieved and waht I saaw while I was in cancun . It is a 5 star plus resort, hot tubs in all the roooms, you can use any and all of the facuitys at all the sister resorts, cancun palace, sun palace, and one more I can't remember at moment. The only draw back is Moon Place 's beach not the best area All reports from people who have been have said the beach could have been better. Enjoy.

by sherri37385

The Moon Palace is wonderful. My husband, myself and 2 friends stayed there 3 yrs. ago. We loved it! The nicest place we have ever stayed. The pool is the greatest and you have several places to eat. Free suttles into Cancun to visit other palace resorts. The only thing we didn't like was to much seaweed on beach. Have a great time.

by Louisev1

That is hurricane season at it's peak. the weather could be gorgeous, or, well.......

Comments