The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort

See Amenities
TheBurnn's Profile Photo

The Westin Lagunamar

by written on July 28, 2014

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort is easily one of the best hotels in Cancun. The staff is extremely friendly and does their best to help you in any way possible. The rooms are quite clean and have nice views. There is nice beach access and an absolutely stunning pool. Another plus is that La Isla Shopping Mall is located directly across the street. It is the perfect spot to grab a bite to eat, buy souvenirs, or find other means of entertainment. I would highly recommend the Westin Langunamar to anybody travelling to Cancun. Its the perfect place to stay in paradise.

Worst Visit Ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 23, 2010

I invited 3 friends with me on a trip to Cancun, expecting this Westin resort to live up to any reasonable expectations. Boy were we wrong. The bartenders and housekeepers are wonderful. Management, on the other hand, is comprised of some of the most incompetent people you could ever hope NOT to run into.

The week we stayed at the Westin was a bit cooler than they are used to, and the pool was about 60 degrees. The entire week of our stay, we saw maybe 3 people go in it. The hot tub was 90 degrees (15 to 20 degrees cooler than a normal hot tub), and filled with splashing young kids and babies all week long. Repeated attempts to ask staff and management to a) turn up the temperatures of both and b) determine why the water temperatures were so cold led to nothing. We heard that the events staff kept turning the temperatures down, we heard the weather caused the water temperatures to lower, and we heard that the heaters couldnt handle the size of the pool and hot tub. (Couldn't handle the size of the hot tub? Seriously? It's a HOT TUB, not a lake...)

I live in upstate New York where 6 months out of the year the only thing you see is snow and my very LARGE pool in the summertime gets up to 90 degrees with a solar cover. I find it so hard to believe that in MEXICO, where 70 degrees is considered freezing and they probably have never seen snow, they can't keep their pools and hot tubs at a normal temperature.

I emailed Corporate Customer service with my complaint, and they told me that issues needed to be resolved at the hotel level (I guess corporate customer service representatives are just hired to surf the web, then, if they are unable to resolve customer service issues). When I tried to contact management, it led only to an "I'm sorry, we plan to install new pool heaters" email - as though a simple apology makes up for a wasted week of vacation and the time and money I wasted to stay at their resort.

If I wanted to spend my week somewhere in a 10 foot diameter, 3 foot deep pool of water filled with splashing kids and 90 degree water, I'd have bought an inflatable pool, filled it from my backyard hose, and invited the neighbor's kids over. I certainly wouldn't have booked a flight to Mexico and paid for a week at a resort.

I have saved all correspondence with the hotel management, and I would love to share it with anyone who is interested. I wouldn't want anyone to make the same mistake I did, and go home feeling as though they wasted a week of their time as well as a whole lot of money they will never get back, just because the Westin Lagunamar doesn't deem it necessary to inform customers of their inadequecies prior to the point of purchase.

ya426's Profile Photo

Great Place to Stay

by written on May 24, 2005

I thoroughly searched the hotel tips when deciding which hotel to stay at while in Cancun. It seemed almost all had tips that ranged from "worst hotel I ever stayed at" to "best hotel..." The Sheraton was no exception. My wife and I found it to be very nice, and it's location was outstanding. The facilities were clean, service above average and the beach was great. We didn't to all inclusive because we wanted to go out and try the restaurants. Right across from La Isla Shopping Center made this hotel the top of our list to stay if we go back. Only complaints: bed was hard, window in the "resort" section didn't open.

yanny1970's Profile Photo

Sheraton Towers grounds/pool

by written on January 10, 2005

The grounds around the hotel were beauftiful. There were gardens with lots of huge iguanas roaming around and hammocks to nap on under the palms. You could swim up to the bar in the pool. The lagoon view side of the Sheraton was better than I expected. Sometimes the music from the bar was a little loud in our room during the day, but it wasn't too bad. Hopefully you are out and about at that time anyways. You could sit and watch dozens of beautiful birds swarm around the red flowering tree outside our window. The sunsets over the lagoon were breathtaking from our window vantage.

yanny1970's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel for first time visitors

by written on January 10, 2005

This hotel was very nice. I had no complaints except for the water temperature fluctuated a little in our shower. The view from both the Ocean and the Lagoon sides of the hotel are absolutely gorgeous. The room was spacious and had a safe and a mini-fridge, which both came in quite handy. You don't want to have to take your passport and credit cards to the beach! Having a fridge is great too. We took out all the hotel drinks and put our own drinks/snacks in the fridge. Then put it all back so you don't have to pay for it when you check out. I must warn you coffee-drinkers that the rooms don't have a coffee maker. But the outlets in the room were compatible with the one we brought. ha ha ha
The staff were all friendly and helpful. You can book tours right in the lobby, taylored to suit your needs.

Unique Quality: This is a great place to stay for first time visitors because it is central and easy access to everything. The hotel is right across the street from a major shopping and dining plaza where you can easily get anything you need. There are Mayan ruins right on the hotel site overlooking the ocean! The pool and iguana garden are also a real treat. But, when you walk out of the lobby onto the white sandy beach, you know you have arrived in paradise.

laura4n8's Profile Photo

Best beach on the hotel strip

by written on December 31, 2004

I stayed in the old section of the Sheraton Resort and Towers. It was clean and the staff was fabulous. Of course, we were there in the off season and I think they were so happy have people to talk to. The lifeguard staff was delightful, the butler and concierge desk was always helpful to suggest places to go to eat and dance. However, if you want an experience out of the tourist mainstream, ask them what THEY would do -- not want they think a tourist would want to do. It was when I asked them that question that we got the best suggestions.

The price was good because it was the off season and Sheraton was running a discount on its Web site.

Unique Quality: The Sheraton was positioned at a spot on the hotel strip that provided the best beach. I walked up and down the beach and saw most other hotels had a very narrow stretch of beach or had lots of rocks. Sheraton featured amble space for lawn chairs and play with a great view of the lovely water.

Directions: Its in the middle of the hotel strip -- across from the mall/shoppinr center.

RoseAmano's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel next to small archaeological ruins

by written on May 15, 2004

Stayed in May 2002, also despite reading bad reviews, but turned out to be a nice hotel with an excellent price. The rooms were large, and the hotel was located roughly mid-way along the strip of tourist hotel, across a large shopping mall. So the location was very convenient. Most hotel along this strip of course have its own private beach for the guests.

kazander's Profile Photo

lovely resort

by written on May 4, 2004

Back in the day when I vacationed with Mom and Dad, I got to stay in some pretty fancy digs. This hotel was very nice. Lots of pools with waterfalls, and swim up bars(not that I could drink, but a smoothie is always nice) Gorgeous Beach, Lizards outside my window (for me this is a plus, if it's not your thing don't stay on the ground floor!) Even some Mayan Ruins on the property! Cancun is really a place for relaxing, this hotel caters to that.

Unique Quality: I remember how wonderful all of the resturants were. Brunch was my favorite! The waitstaff was at your beck and call, you couldn't take a sip of tea without it being refilled!

a pleasant surprise

by written on December 2, 2003

I stayed at the hotel in September 2003 after reading the most awful reviews. The fact thet I read them only a day before leaving Israel added to my worries since I couldn't change my booking. I had the nicest surprise when I stayed there. the room was nice and comfortable. It is true that The windows can't be opened but who wanted to open them in that awful weather. The service was very good. The erstaurant was expensive but everything is expensive in cancun. the beach and the pool were wonderful. I enjoyed my stay there.

Dudo's Profile Photo

Hotel

by written on August 19, 2003

a very nice hotel, expensive as all the hotels in Cancun, have a great beach and service ask for the trip package`s that they offer

Unique Quality: great pools, beach and service

Nearby The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort

• Cancun Westin
  • The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel Cancun

Address: Blvd. Cancun, Paseo Kukulcan, Hotel Zone, P.O. Box 834, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico

7 Photos of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cancún Travel Forum

Need advice about Cancún, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Cancún and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cancún hotel reviews