3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 5.5, Zona Hotelera, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula, 77500, Mexico
Booking.com AMOMA.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Villas Tacul Boutique Hotel & Marina

Cancun - A nice start for (y)our Yucatan trip

by JanPeter74

When we arrived in Mexico, we first spend a full day to discover Cancun.

We stayed in 4* hotel Villas Tacul. Relatively at the beginning of the Hotel Strip. For everybody who likes a nice hotel but wants to avoid the large monsterhotels, this is a nice alternative. It is relatively small, consisting of a street with some 30 villas (all different) with each approximately 3 or 4 rooms and/or studios. The greater part of them are located directly at the beach (sand+rocks). Combine this with little fellow tourists, a nice outdoor breakfast and a very nice and again almost deserted swimmingpool, and you will understand the charm of this quiet place located centrally on the Cancun hotelstrip.

"When in Cancun:"

Walk along the beach
Go swimming with dolphins
Check-out the shopping malls on the Hotelstrip
Visit the Ruinas del Rey

Have yourself a great time and don't forget to leave your hotel and see as much as possible!

"Tips:"

In the tips below, you will find info on:
Swimming with dolphins in Cancun
Mayasite Ruinas del Rey on Cancun hotelstrip
Swimming in Cenotes
The lay out of the city Cancun
Perfect bus connection between hotelstrip and downtown Cancun

The lift 800 lbsThe lift 800 lbs

Chichen Itza - Nr. CancunChichen Itza - Nr. Cancun

The interesting ruins of Chitzenitza, we loved it!The interesting ruins of Chitzenitza, we loved it!

Mayan Traditional GastronomyMayan Traditional Gastronomy

We fly into Cancun.. but don't want to stay there :)

by walshaun

Hi there, any advise greatly appreciated!!

The flights are booked. Mom, Dad & I are spending Christmas and New Years in the Yukatan! YAY. But where?? Egad. We fly into Cancun on Dec 23 and arrive around 7PM. Where should we go from there? Isla Mujueres, Playa d Carmen, Cozumel... or ????

No offence, but what I have seen of Cancun doesn't interest me... it's too big. I dont want super sleepy either but I am not interested in lots of discos, casinos, concrete... big city.. I liked Isla Mjs but it would be kind of cool to go somewhere else. We only have 9 days so no major driving, and I think renting a car would be a waste. Would be handy to grab a bus/transport/cab that takes us to our spot.

Looking for:
Beautiful beach(s)
Decent food
Clean accomm - 2+ bdrm suite or appt would be good. Kitchenette a must so we can make breakfasts the odd lunch etc.
Budget acomm but must be nice, clean...
There must be some great deals as I hear it is not super busy in the YP this year.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!~

Re: We fly into Cancun.. but don't want to stay there :)

by Dabs

Personally I like staying on the mainland, if I want to see Isla Mujeres or Cozumel I can hop on a ferry but I wouldn't want to be there for my entire trip. I love Playa del Carmen but I wonder if that might still be a little too touristy for you. It's getting more and more developed every time we go. You might look a little further south in Tulum or Akumal, I haven't stayed in either but they are less developed than PDC. Buses and colectivos run along the Mayan Riveria coast so no need to rent a car to get to most places.

PDC does still have lots of non AI properties, most of them require a 2-3 block walk to the beach. You might have a look around this website to see if you can find what you are looking for

I haven't priced anything for this year but the week between Christmas and NY always seems to have jacked up rates anywhere warm as people still travel over the holidays. I'd try to find something as soon as possible, refundable if possible just in case you find something else with a last minute deal. But don't be awfully surprised if there aren't any terrific bargains.

Re: We fly into Cancun.. but don't want to stay there :)

by walshaun

Happy travels.

Travel Tips for Cancún

Public acsess beaches

by Gipp

It sounds a bit strange, but a lot of the beachline in Cancun belongs to the vast amount of hotels in the hotel zone. There are public acsess points along the hotel zone where the beaches are open to everyone, the most impressive one being the beach by the Hilton.

Life's not just a beach

by DrewV

Once you've roasted yourself to a crisp, stop by Chichen Itza -- one of the more magnificent Mayan cities of the Post-Classic period. It's astonishing, really. This is a view of the ball court, where great sacrifical sporting events were held. If the angle seems a bit high, it's because I'm standing on top of the Great Pyramid.

For more great pictures, check out my Chichen Itza travelogue.

Cenotes

by Lady_Disdain

Cenotes (or sinkholes) were the basic water source for the indigenous people of Yucatán. This gave the cenotes not only an important role in survival, but also a central one in the religion of the people.

Cenotes were a representation of the underworld. Considering their depths, this is not surprising! In most religious centers, the cenotes that had important ceremonial functions were not the same as the ones were drinking water was obtained. Since many ceremonies included throwing down precious objects for the gods, including children (the only situation were children were sacrificed), this was wise. However, as the cenotes are connected by underground rivers, contamination in one would spread to others. Some historians speculate that a contaminated water supply may be the reason why ceremonial centers were abandonded at the end of the Classical period.

Explore the Yucatán Peninsular

by spartan

Go downtown to the mainland part of Cancún and meet the locals. Get to know the people, don't be just a tourist or else you miss the ambience of this beautiful Yucatan city. The beaches, oh the beaches. The water is crystal clear and the sand looks like snow.

Comments