Westin Resort & Spa Cancun

Orbitz.com Westin.com Agoda.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 31% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Terrible Experience

My dad and I came down to Cancun to do some diving. This property is in poor shape and it is poorly managed. THE NEGATIVES: 1) I called the front desk early one morning to ask where to get some pain relievers and the women said that I would have to go to a pharmacy. When I asked where the closest one was she hung up the phone on me. I was shocked, but thought maybe it was an accident, but when I called again she sighed as if I was annoying her and quite deliberately hung up the phone on me again. 2) My dad and I were very frustrated with the concierge service at the hotel. They consistently directed us to very bad recommendations. It seemed that they were more interested in getting kickbacks from the companies that they were recommending to us than actual quality. The two concierges that we dealt with were rude and condescending. They were constantly trying to sell us on things we weren't interested in and did not answer our questions until they had finished telling us about their promotions 3) The rooms and facilities are falling apart and out dated. This place needs a serious reno. The hallways are stained and dirty.

Unique Quality: Great views.

Directions: At the quiet end of Cancun's Hotel Zone

• Cancun's worst nightmare

I stayed at the Westin Regina in Cancun from August 14th-17th (had 3 rooms), thank God it was only for 3 nights. The Hotel lobby was super dirty, there were empty bottles, candy rappers all over the place, the glass doors were beyond dirty. When I checked in to our room the lamps shades were all rusty, and some of them didnt even work, the mini bar was only stocked with a single can of soda pop. The pools are super small, and the beach is not the best, there are tons of rocks, so it was not nice at all. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at all, spend your money elsewhere, closer to downtown cancun.

• Bad Experience

I don’t recommend buying a timeshare at the Westin Regina Cancun!!
    I am a 14 year timeshare owner at the Westin Regina in Cabo. In December 2008 I changed my week to the Westin Regina in Cancun. My experience in Cancun was horrible on many levels starting with having my confirmed reservation for a Grand suite being changed to a tiny room in which myself and my two friends had to squeeze into. I was told that the Club Regina was full by the front desk, but later found out that the occupancy was only at 30% and that the management didn’t want to make an effort to correct their error. The entire experience was less unacceptable. In contrast I have only had wonderful great experiences at the Westin Regina in Cabo.
    In addition other problems involved:
    • Being locked out of the room 3 times
    • Maids not cleaning the room 3 of 7 days

Unique Quality: Not much

• oceaneyyes's Profile Photo

Wonderful Hotel

Like most Westins, this one is just fabulous! The service is first-class, the accommodations are top-notch, the location couldn't be better (for people like us who prefer quiet over non-stop partyville.) The beach is beautiful there, and the pools are fantastic! Couldn't say enough about this place!

Directions: Second hotel from the airport, just past Club Med. Away from the noise of the city, but close enough (by bus) to get there quick!

• Danishchip's Profile Photo

Far Enough Away, Yet Close Enough To Everything

The Westin Regina Resort, Cancun, was our final destination pick after narrowing the search down to 5 hotels. We feel we made the perfect choice. From the initial contact at the front desk to the final contact upon checkout, our experience at this resort was outstanding. After we checked in, we were approached by the time share hounds. The initial information was all about the hotel, what it offered and where to find it. We were given a 20% discount ticket to the restaurant along with two free drink tickets. Then came the time share spiel. It is very easy to just say no, however, after offering us a trip for two to Chichen Itza for $30 USD along with $40 USD in hotel money, we figured we couldn't lose by giving up 90 minutes of morning time. A free breakfast, some fun conversation with the presenter, and having fun with the fast talking time share wheeler/dealer was worth the time (no, we did not buy into the time share). During our 7 night stay, we had only one complaint, and that was after our first night. That first morning we left the room at around 10 AM and returned around 7 PM. We found that the room had not been entered or cleaned. Upon calling housekeeping, they knocked on our door two minutes later with 6 bath towels, 4 wash clothes, 4 hand towels along with toilet paper and a box of Kleenex. I tried to ask them how early we needed to be ready for them to clean the room in the morning, but they did not understand my question and just smiled. The next morning we left the room around the same time, but this time I left two one dollar bills on the bed along with a note saying "gracias". I also continued to do this every morning from then on. Our room was cleaned whenever we left, was always immaculate, and they even checked in on us in the evening asking if there was anything we could use. A little daily $2 tip went a long way.

Unique Quality: We stayed in the top (6th) floor balcony room overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The views in all directions were amazing, the sound of the ocean waves soothing, and the privacy relaxing. We were able to watch the rays swim in the waves at night. Not only is the room large, the vaulted ceiling adds to the feeling. The bed that Westin is famous for lived up to its reputation as did the bath robes. Because May is a rather humid month, leaving the sliding glass door open too long made the floor feel wet, but nothing that the extra towels didn't take care of. The pools were very clean, as was the entire complex. The beaches were clean, had plenty of lounge chairs, and the waiters were eager to bring you whatever you wanted right there at the shore line. Both restaurants served great food with great service.

Directions: Located at the south end of the Hotel Zone, it is somewhat secluded and away from the action. But, an easy walk to the roadway and 6 pesos in hand gets you on a bus within minutes. The buses are fun, fast, and take you anywhere you want to go.

• hartmany's Profile Photo

A little peace and quiet

The Westin Regina Resort is on the main drag (Boulevard Kukulcan) of Cancun, but is far enough away from the main partying section that you can enjoy some peace and quiet, clean beaches and well-kept grounds. If you do not rent a car, cabs are readily available, but the fares may begin to add up.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and of course, the heavenly bed are...well, heavenly. The staff is courteous and helpful. And the rates are reasonable for the quality.

• jenilynn's Profile Photo

Oh Heavenly Bed!

This is a great hotel for a few reasons. The first reason is, it is at the 2nd hotel from the airport not the 80th! It is at the lower portion of Cancun so it is more secluded. Club Med is right next door. The second reason is.....I had the best sleep of my life there.Those beds, those beds, those heavenly beds!! They have Cloud 9 beds I believe or is it Heavenly beds? Whatever they were you can actuallly buy them online! The Westin has about 6 pools altogether . Some have swim up bars and some are to just take the heat off. I don't think you will be dissapointed if you stay there!

Unique Quality: BEDS! Secluded more than the other hotels.

Directions: Next to club Med.

More about Westin Resort & Spa Cancun

looking for party? forget it

I visited the Westin on my honeymoon and we found good service and lovely installations... if you want a relaxing place this is the one for you, forget about partying and noise. Besides, they treat better to Americans than Mexicans so you have a bonus with that....Food is good but you'll get tired very soon of it, take a chance and visit downtown, is not that expensive if you stay away from the "Outback" ($$$)

Class of Hotel

The Westina Regina is advertized as a 5 Star Hotel. They must have received that rating long ago from a assessment team that never got to the hotel. After a 7 day stay, our first in Cancun, I would rate the Westina Regina about a 1 star. I have had much better service and amenities from some lowly motels charging $40 a day. They have a mini bar in the room for supposedly real convience but is really a money rip-off. Example: A bottle of Chrystal Water is $4.95, same as I bought in the Cancun Walmart for $0.66. They furnish coffee for your in room coffee maker and then cherge $4.00 for a package that makes about 3 to 4 cups. Most hotels with such high ratings furnish a daily newspaper (even a lowly Days Inn for $39 a night furnished a USA Today), at the Regina it took 3 days to find out where to buy a USA Today for $4. Also, can you imagine checking in and out in a Hotel Lobby with no air conditioning with the temperature about 90 degrees and the humidity close to 100%. Advice; find a different place to stay in Cancun.

Just a "So-So" Hotel

We read the reviews before booking and decided to take a risk on the Westin Regina. The rooms were big, check in / out services were fine and the best part was the concierge.Now the bad news: our air conditioning broke down and it took 3 days and 4 calls to get anyone up to fix it. Also, the main restaurant's food quality was bad, as well as very slow service. We finally had to rent a car and go out to other hotels for breakfast, as well as other restaurants for dinner. If you are expecting a 4-5 star hotel, go somewhere else.We liked the quietness of the location, but it was a little too far by bus to get to any of the action and downtown. Here's a little tip: restaurants downtown had better food, service and prices. Also, go the the stunning restaurant: "Casa de las Margaritas" at the Isla Shopping Mall...Ask for the server Angelica...she was absolutely superb!

Very clean - great service

Stayed at the hotel for 5 days - 6 nights with an all-inclusive package. The service could not have been better. The waiters were extremely friendly, but not overbearing. Our favorite was Bernardo (sp?). We visited all 5 pools and enjoyed them all. Some were more secluded than others which was nice, depending on our mood. Since the hotel was located at the end of the long chain of hotels, we had very little foot traffic walking along our beach. We did not find the bus ride into the bar/restaurant district inconvenient. After all, were were on vacation and not in a hurry. An extra few minutes on the bus did not bother us. The entire hotel was immaculate. People seemed to be cleaning day and night. Our only complaints are as follows: The bed was fine, but not "heavenly"; the beverages and snacks located inside the room were expensive; and the food was good, but not outstanding. It should be noted we were at the hotel during a slow period of the season. We would assume the hotel would hire additional food and beverage servers during the busy season, but have no way of knowing with certainty. We had a great time and would have no reservations in returning or in recommending the hotel to others.

Comments