Westin Resort & Spa Cancun

Usctwin's Profile Photo

Wonderful Stay at the Westin

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 12, 2015

We have just returned from 5 fabulous nights at the Westin Resort and Span in Cancun. There are two Westin properties in Cancun. One, the Westin Lagunamar, is at the heart of the hotel zone across from the major shopping mall La Isla and is high trafficked and loud. The Westin Resort and Spa is at the far end of the hotel zone, about a 10 minute bus ride, and has much less occupancy and noise.

We checked in to our room to find it to our liking. They had turned on the air to cool it down, it was clean, and they had made cute animals out of the towels (presumably because they knew our child would be in the room with us). It had a great ocean view from the patio and was very spacious. It also has a large bathroom with full tub and shower. The bathroom amenities were also quite nice and plentiful.

There are two sections of rooms to this hotel. One is connected to main lobby and the other is a separate building for "time share" patrons that they call Beach Club area. We are not sure why, but we were put there, which was fabulous because there are fewer units which meant fewer people.

After dropping off our luggage, we went to grab a bite to eat and found that the restaurant which is part of the Beach Club area has an all inclusive option which we opted to upgrade to for $40 USD a day. This included a daily breakfast with a vast variety of items and happy hour from 5-7pm which included all beverages (alcoholic and non) as well as delicious food options. There really was enough food to choose from that you could have dinner here. A couple of nights we opted to have room service brought out to our patio, which had a great view of the ocean. Room service also had delicious food.

This area of the hotel also has its own pool where we spent most of our time. The beach in front of this property is also very nice and clean and the water is super warm.

All of the staff were very friendly and kind and were eager to help us practice our Spanish so long as we helped them practice their English.

My only complaints - they let people smoke anywhere on the property (beach, pool, balconies, patios, etc). I generally don't mind, but when I'm with my child, I do. They should make an area for smoking so that if you want to avoid it, you can. Also, because this hotel property is partly in the jungle, there are a lot of wild animals, and poop comes with that. They need to do a better job of picking up the poop on the grass in front of the rooms.

But other than that, we really had an amazing time and I would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Cancun!

Terrible Experience

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 5, 2012

My dad and I came down to Cancun to do some diving. This property is in poor shape and it is poorly managed. THE NEGATIVES: 1) I called the front desk early one morning to ask where to get some pain relievers and the women said that I would have to go to a pharmacy. When I asked where the closest one was she hung up the phone on me. I was shocked, but thought maybe it was an accident, but when I called again she sighed as if I was annoying her and quite deliberately hung up the phone on me again. 2) My dad and I were very frustrated with the concierge service at the hotel. They consistently directed us to very bad recommendations. It seemed that they were more interested in getting kickbacks from the companies that they were recommending to us than actual quality. The two concierges that we dealt with were rude and condescending. They were constantly trying to sell us on things we weren't interested in and did not answer our questions until they had finished telling us about their promotions 3) The rooms and facilities are falling apart and out dated. This place needs a serious reno. The hallways are stained and dirty.

Unique Quality: Great views.

Directions: At the quiet end of Cancun's Hotel Zone

Cancun's worst nightmare

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 19, 2010

I stayed at the Westin Regina in Cancun from August 14th-17th (had 3 rooms), thank God it was only for 3 nights. The Hotel lobby was super dirty, there were empty bottles, candy rappers all over the place, the glass doors were beyond dirty. When I checked in to our room the lamps shades were all rusty, and some of them didnt even work, the mini bar was only stocked with a single can of soda pop. The pools are super small, and the beach is not the best, there are tons of rocks, so it was not nice at all. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at all, spend your money elsewhere, closer to downtown cancun.

Bad Experience

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 20, 2008

I don’t recommend buying a timeshare at the Westin Regina Cancun!!
I am a 14 year timeshare owner at the Westin Regina in Cabo. In December 2008 I changed my week to the Westin Regina in Cancun. My experience in Cancun was horrible on many levels starting with having my confirmed reservation for a Grand suite being changed to a tiny room in which myself and my two friends had to squeeze into. I was told that the Club Regina was full by the front desk, but later found out that the occupancy was only at 30% and that the management didn’t want to make an effort to correct their error. The entire experience was less unacceptable. In contrast I have only had wonderful great experiences at the Westin Regina in Cabo.
In addition other problems involved:
• Being locked out of the room 3 times
• Maids not cleaning the room 3 of 7 days

Unique Quality: Not much

oceaneyyes's Profile Photo

Wonderful Hotel

by written on August 13, 2004

Like most Westins, this one is just fabulous! The service is first-class, the accommodations are top-notch, the location couldn't be better (for people like us who prefer quiet over non-stop partyville.) The beach is beautiful there, and the pools are fantastic! Couldn't say enough about this place!

Directions: Second hotel from the airport, just past Club Med. Away from the noise of the city, but close enough (by bus) to get there quick!

Danishchip's Profile Photo

Far Enough Away, Yet Close Enough To Everything

by written on May 18, 2004

The Westin Regina Resort, Cancun, was our final destination pick after narrowing the search down to 5 hotels. We feel we made the perfect choice. From the initial contact at the front desk to the final contact upon checkout, our experience at this resort was outstanding. After we checked in, we were approached by the time share hounds. The initial information was all about the hotel, what it offered and where to find it. We were given a 20% discount ticket to the restaurant along with two free drink tickets. Then came the time share spiel. It is very easy to just say no, however, after offering us a trip for two to Chichen Itza for $30 USD along with $40 USD in hotel money, we figured we couldn't lose by giving up 90 minutes of morning time. A free breakfast, some fun conversation with the presenter, and having fun with the fast talking time share wheeler/dealer was worth the time (no, we did not buy into the time share). During our 7 night stay, we had only one complaint, and that was after our first night. That first morning we left the room at around 10 AM and returned around 7 PM. We found that the room had not been entered or cleaned. Upon calling housekeeping, they knocked on our door two minutes later with 6 bath towels, 4 wash clothes, 4 hand towels along with toilet paper and a box of Kleenex. I tried to ask them how early we needed to be ready for them to clean the room in the morning, but they did not understand my question and just smiled. The next morning we left the room around the same time, but this time I left two one dollar bills on the bed along with a note saying "gracias". I also continued to do this every morning from then on. Our room was cleaned whenever we left, was always immaculate, and they even checked in on us in the evening asking if there was anything we could use. A little daily $2 tip went a long way.

Unique Quality: We stayed in the top (6th) floor balcony room overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The views in all directions were amazing, the sound of the ocean waves soothing, and the privacy relaxing. We were able to watch the rays swim in the waves at night. Not only is the room large, the vaulted ceiling adds to the feeling. The bed that Westin is famous for lived up to its reputation as did the bath robes. Because May is a rather humid month, leaving the sliding glass door open too long made the floor feel wet, but nothing that the extra towels didn't take care of. The pools were very clean, as was the entire complex. The beaches were clean, had plenty of lounge chairs, and the waiters were eager to bring you whatever you wanted right there at the shore line. Both restaurants served great food with great service.

Directions: Located at the south end of the Hotel Zone, it is somewhat secluded and away from the action. But, an easy walk to the roadway and 6 pesos in hand gets you on a bus within minutes. The buses are fun, fast, and take you anywhere you want to go.

hartmany's Profile Photo

A little peace and quiet

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 3, 2003

The Westin Regina Resort is on the main drag (Boulevard Kukulcan) of Cancun, but is far enough away from the main partying section that you can enjoy some peace and quiet, clean beaches and well-kept grounds. If you do not rent a car, cabs are readily available, but the fares may begin to add up.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and of course, the heavenly bed are...well, heavenly. The staff is courteous and helpful. And the rates are reasonable for the quality.

jenilynn's Profile Photo

Oh Heavenly Bed!

by written on July 16, 2003

This is a great hotel for a few reasons. The first reason is, it is at the 2nd hotel from the airport not the 80th! It is at the lower portion of Cancun so it is more secluded. Club Med is right next door. The second reason is.....I had the best sleep of my life there.Those beds, those beds, those heavenly beds!! They have Cloud 9 beds I believe or is it Heavenly beds? Whatever they were you can actuallly buy them online! The Westin has about 6 pools altogether . Some have swim up bars and some are to just take the heat off. I don't think you will be dissapointed if you stay there!

Unique Quality: BEDS! Secluded more than the other hotels.

Directions: Next to club Med.

Nearby Westin Resort & Spa Cancun

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cancún Travel Forum

Need advice about Cancún, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Cancún and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cancún hotel reviews