Xbalamque Hotel

Costs 57% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Xbalamque Hotel

Downtown Budget Hotels

by spitcurl

Hotel Alux is near the bus station downtown Cancun, and quoted us 410 pesos per night. http://www.hotelalux.com

Xbalamque has gotten great reviews, also downtown, and has beach club access, a pool, restaurant, spa, bookstore, etc. Slightly higher prices but I still saw as low as $55 USD quoted online for some dates coming up soon.

Hotels we've contacted directly seem to work on the honor system for reservations, (they confirm by email vaguely, but have taken no deposit), and if you fear getting forgotten somehow and want a guarantee, then the higher priced hotels you book online might be a better option.

(Have not gone to either yet, so this is a placeholder tip until we get there!)

MunchiesMunchies

The twins at the Chichen Itza, Cancun, MexicoThe twins at the Chichen Itza, Cancun, Mexico

Blue Bay pool, with lots of activititesBlue Bay pool, with lots of activitites

Albinegros take a 1-0 lead!Albinegros take a 1-0 lead!

Inexpensive hotel or B+B in Cancun

by drahos

Flying in and looking for an inexpensive B+B or hotel for one day near/on the beach to "acclimate" before backpacking with family for 2 weeks.

Any suggestions/ideas?

In advance, thanks!

by Fullmoonfever

inexpensive B+B or hotel for one day near/on the beach......in Cancun?

I dont think there are any..not in Cancun. But not sure what inexpensive means

by drahos

I guess I should rephrase that --- reasonably priced B+B or hotel. Just something basic, no frills, clean, etc.

by Fullmoonfever

I was in Cancun in 2002 and dont recall seeing any hotels that were inexpensive, nor do I recall any B+B. But I wasn't looking for any, its just that all the hotels looked rather upscale.

by YVRDave

I'm not sure what your budget is but this hotel www.hotelmariadelourdes.com is about $50
THe Radisson HAcienda is about $65, the TErra Caribe is $53 and this hotel, about 20 miles south of CAncun is $50
www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g240327-d242387-Reviews-Acamaya_Reef-Puerto_Morelos_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

wow, great reseach.

I am surprised you can get those kind of prices in the Cancun area.

by spitcurl

good luck!

by om_212

I would recommend taking a boat to Isla Mujeres (25 min by boat) instead of staying in Cancun. it would be less touristy and definately more affordable than Cancun. we stayed at Bucaneros http://www.bucaneros.com/english/index.htm.

by drahos

Great idea. I ended up doing just that!

Travel Tips for Cancún

You must visit Chichen Itza...

by AdriannaTex

You must visit Chichen Itza and the Yucatan Peninsula in general; forget Cancun! I know, I was a beaut at 18.

Gee, my favorite memory was when we climbed INSIDE El Castillo and someone turned off the lights as we reached the top. It was dark, hot, and hard to move around in the narrow stairway. The whole line of us who were previously going up the stairs had to turn around and go down each step on our behinds. When we finally reached the bottom, we were felt up by some local boys as they manned the entrance. Great fun.

Swing bars

by gipper84

One of my most fondest memories of Cancun was the swing bars. They were really neat because you actually go up and sit and a swing and are waited on for drinks. It is also a really neat place to meet people. People at the bars are always willing to chat with ya. I met a girl named Jitka from the Czech Republic there. She was telling me about her husband and her getting married and how people from their country and other parts of Europe like to come and get married in Cancun. We had a quite interesting conversation while her husband was in the restroom. This is a good place to come and relax, meet new people, and enjoy a good drink. It is also a fondest memory of mine. Sorry this is a generic photo because I did not get one while on the resort.

Sun lobby bar at the Moon Palace

by gipper84

I didn't want to put this tip under restaurants, so I thought it was appropriate to place it here. The main bar in the lobby at the moon palace is really nice. It was a fun place to go after supper, before we headed into the city because David and I would grab a quick drink, and enjoy an occasional cigar. I must add that the cigars in Cancun or just phenomenol. I don't usually smoke cigars often, but I really enjoyed the taste and the richness of their cigars. The main bar is also nice because they have a live band play there during the evening hours. A jazz band plays some classic jazz music, and mixes it up with alittle latin music every now and then. The main bar is also a neat place to meet people. David and I ran into Tyne and Shaylee here, and we met some really nice people from Nebraska here. They were brother and sister. April and Shaun were both really nice, and David and I enjoyed sharing a round of drinks with them.

Greetings on Isla Mujeres

by Bwana_Brown

On arrival at Isla Mujeres, we were greeted by the staff of the private resort where we were to spend the afternoon! They put on quite a song and dance show for us as we dis-embarked from our tour boat!

Comments