Aura Cozumel Wyndham Grand Bay

Secrets Aura Cozumel
Expedia.com BookIt.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• One to avoid

We travel frequently to Mexico and stay at all inclusive resorts. I feel it is my duty to warn travelers against staying at this resort. Service is non existent. Food is unrecognizable and tasteless. There is a line of 12-15 people for drinks at the bar and snacks at the snack bar. The beach has an area that smells of sewer and is green and slimy. One of the pools was green and shut down for two days while we were there. Our ocean view room should have been called and "ocean glimpse". The sink leaked and ran into the floor. We could never get enough towels in our room. At best, this is a one star resort and I used the word resort hesitantly.

Unique Quality: The best part of our trip was leaving the Wyndham. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• dgines's Profile Photo

A Great Vacation

Things didn't start off that well. After 18 hours of travel, I arrived at the hotel ready to shower and take a nap. It took me 3 hours to check in and not only that, but I had reserved a room on the Sabor (adults only) side and they wanted to place me somewhere else. After 2 hours of waiting for the situation to get resolved, I had to get angry to get things fixed.

After that initial problem, things went very well for the rest of my stay. We got the room we reserved with the pool and slide and Enrique, the Sabor Operations Manager, made sure we were well taken care of. We were even able to reserve the Mosaique restaurant for our rehearsal dinner. The food was delicious.

Unique Quality: Pool side rooms with slides down to the main pool.

More about Aura Cozumel Wyndham Grand Bay

Aura Cozumel

by TripAdvisor Member ccd78

We just got back from five days at Aura and we had a great time.
Here's the scoop:
HAVA GRILL - The bar at the Hava Grill is right on the beach and has tables with umbrellas as well as seats at the bar in the shade. The bartenders and waiters are really great. The service can be slow because there's usually only two bartenders and two waiters that serve the Hava Grill, the main pool and the beach all at once. Order several drinks at once and if you're hungry, order your food as soon as you sit down. The food for the most part is great, the pizza is hit or miss but everything else we had was great. They have breakfast, lunch & dinner there although we only went for lunch.
ISOLA - Isola is a gorgeous restaurant with a great bar/lounge waiting area and an absolutely beautiful view of the ocean and the second pool. The food was really very good and the service was great. They had an a la carte dinner there every night the only buffet was at breakfast.
BRISSAS BAR - A full bar on the top floor with an absolutely beautiful view, get there in time for sunset it's just gorgeous.
THE WYNDHAM - There were TONS of kids so we didn't stay long. We had the breakfast buffet there one day and there were many more food options than at Isola, i.e. an omelet station, waffles, etc. We had dinner at Roberto's the Italian a la carte reservations-only place and it was completely disgusting. The service was okay, but the food was inedible and halfway through they started the kid's theater across the pool and the noise of screaming children was awful.
THE SABOR - It was the total opposite of the Wyndham, it's very quiet, no kids. They have a winding pool just like the Aura but they have a swim-up bar and much better music. The restaurant there is Mosaic and they by far had the best breakfast and lunch menus. We didn't have dinner there but we heard that it's amazing food. I personally hate breakfast food so it was a great surprise to see that they serve sandwiches and other options early in the morning. They have poolside massages as well. A previous review said that there were no umbrellas at the Aura pool, they have 2 now, but at the Sabor there are at least a dozen.
ACTIVITES - We went snorkeling, $75 for a couple. The boat was really, really gross and after finding out the everyone on the boat were average swimmers, the captain decided to take us to "the more dangerous" side. They had life jackets (which had to be blown up manually) so everyone went without. There was really nothing special to see, I'm sure the scenery was much better before the hurricane. The 30 mph winds and leaking snorkels were the highlight. My husband likened it to a Navy Seal training exercise. Half of the people in the boat were sick by the time we got back. Bummer, but they did have jet skis for rent ($55 for 1/2 hour), para sailing, kayaking, Hobie cats and of course, diving!
As far as the room goes, it was really cute. The swim up patio was just awesome and the people with private pools on the 3rd floor seemed to love them. I read in one of the previous reviews that they stocked the mini bar with beer, but they never did in our room. We ordered drinks from room service but they only serve draft Dos XX so you can only order so many at a time. They do have other kinds in the mini mart at the Wyndham next door.
One more Aura dining note - you can have dinner at the end of the pier for $120 per person which includes a bottle of wine. They also offer dinner on the beach (can't remember
how much they said that was). We didn't see anyone do either the pier or the beach dinner but I'm sure it's very nice. Overall I'd say it was a great vacation and from what I heard on the plane home, the Aura was the right choice.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member njshorerock

Hi, we've been back a week and wish we were still there. We were also upgraded from Sabor (thankfully) to Aura. We had booked a swim up room and were put in a second room floor the first night, which was very nice, but not what we had paid for as an upgrade in Sabor.

Jesus, our concierge, worked it out with the General Manager, and the next day we were moved into a swim up terrace room, which was terrific.

The staff was extremely friendly, service-oriented and very helpful anytime you asked.

The room was cleaned every day, but our minibar was not stocked until asked and was only stocked with water and soda, not the beer and liquor that was promised - no big deal since it was inclusive.

The overall appearance of the hotel was great and the food was excellent. I was always told that inclusive hotels had long lines and terrible food. This was the great exception. It was fabulous. Everyone was taking photos of their food, the presentation was so excellent. The only buffet was in the mornings, if you chose to go there instead of ordering room service, which we did a few days and had it served in the room or on our terrace.

We met wonderful people, and had a great time.

Because it is a "European" beach you could go topless but we did not see anyone doing that while we were there except on their terraces or balconies. The rooftop bar was clothing optional but only one couple took advantage of that the whole week we were there. Everyone else there was clothed appropriately.

Distractions: There were children there the first two days - evidently the owner of the hotel had given rooms to friends. Everyone complained and were told that those guests were leaving Tuesday,which they did. The hallways are open so they echo and some of the hotel workers do not realize how loud they are at 6am, but that is a design flaw.

We were very careful about drinking water, eating fruit, etc. and despite our caution, I was ill for two days there and my boyfriend got sick when we got home and was out of work for two days. We only ate off property twice and we figure that must have been it. But that is Mexico and the internet says 40% of travelers get ill, so it goes with the territory.

Loved the easy life of the Aura

by TripAdvisor Member ScottPhoenix

When we arrived at the Wyndham for our stay in the Sabor area we were welcomed with an upgrade to the Aura from Enrique. This turned out to be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to us.

The Aura was absolutely spectacular, our room was on the ground floor with a walk out patio that was right on the pool. We were able to step in at any time we wanted. Room service was 24 hours per day and the meals from them were hot and very prompt. While eating at the sit down resteraunts the service was impecable. Breakfast buffet was more than expected. The rest of the time was menu dining. 5 course meals were to die for. This was all included in the price including as much premium alcohol you could dring. The servers would remember your name and your prefered drinks and present you with one before you could even ask. Sunsets were awesome from the 3rd floor spa/bar.

All of the staff were on a first name basis and only one call to the concierge and they would take care of everything. The bell staff were prompt. If you rented a car then just drive it up and they would wisk it away and return it just as fast.

We kept a handfull of dollars with us and while tipping is not necessary the staff appriciate it as well as deserve it. I think without the tipping we would still have received the same treatment.

We would not hesitate staying there in the future. Just remember to leave your kids at home. It is very peaceful there especially without running and jumping in and around the pool and beach.

Beautiful Resort w/ exceptional service!

by TripAdvisor Member BLWCamillus

We were booked at the Wyndham and upgraded to Sabor for one night and then to Aura. It was wonderful! I was so thankful that we landed in Aura, as the other two resort were not what we we were looking for. We found it at Aura in the quiet, relaxing atmosphere with exceptional service. All of the employees were excellent and always happy to help with whatever you needed. The grounds and the rooms are lovely. We never left the resort for 11 days! The pools were beautiful, although as someone mentioned they could use a few more umbrellas, but there was generally some shade to be had if you sought it out.

The European sunbathing wasn't much of an issue.

The restaurants were terrific and had great food. We had lunch most days at the Hava Grill. I am still missing the fish cerviche!

They have a couple bugs to work out with the property, but those are design issues, not staff issues.

Everyone working there was the best! Special attention should be given Dalel in activities, if they are smart they will be promoting her soon, she was outstanding!

We will be back - it was fabulous!!

Paradise discovered

by TripAdvisor Member hookedonvacation

Just got back from one of the best resorts i have ever been to.

1. Best sunsets!!
2. Guest rooms are large, luxurious and all have a large patio area leading out to the pool. All you have to do is open your sliding door and step into you own wading pool that leads you into a huge free-form infinity edge pool overlooking the ocean.
3. all inclusive but the food is as if you were at a gourmet restaurant. Two restaurants to choose from - one elegant overlooking the ocean, the other outddor on the sand.
4. Entertainment nightly - jazz, guitar, sax etc.
5. Excellent service - they are there at evey turn but totally un-obtrusive.
6. Great place to go and relax, very laid back, serene.

Don't go here for serious or advanced diving

by TripAdvisor Member RossandMaureen

If you are a serious diver and want to be able to pick and choose your dive operator based on things like small groups, dive your computer profile, long surface intervals, SI's at beach clubs, long dives limited only by your air and/or computer then this is NOT your hotel.

A recent change in hotel policy whereby they are charging outside dive operators to pick up hotel guests from the pier means that guests will only have the on-site dive operator to choose from. All of the other Cozumel dive operators are going to boycott this hotel and not pick up guests as they are unwilling to pay this outrageous charge by the Wyndham.

That means that you will be left with an on-site, in-house dive operator who will run cattle boats with time limited dives and no real selection or choice in dive sites. This will be fine for beginners and those with a limited number of dives in their logbook but serious advanced divers will be missing out on what Cozumel is known worldwide for.

So if you prefer to dive with your favorite dive operator then do not stay at this property (or it's sister properties) unless that favorite dive operator happens to be Dive Palancar.

Save your money!

by TripAdvisor Member Seekers_Parties

I had never been to an "All Inclusive" resort before, and this was the destination we chose. We went with another couple. Originally we booked in Sabor, because it was Adults Only. When we checked in at Sabor, we were "hijacked" as I call it. We weren't told where we were going or why. We were eventually told we were upgraded to Aura. The other couple we were with were not upgraded, and we ended up starting out our vacation together in separate hotels. Then finding out that we could go to dinner at any of the 3 resorts, but our friends were restricted by the bands they wore, and could only dine at Sabor, was very upsetting. Eventually, our friends we upgraded to Aura, but it took about 7 rounds of complaints to Wyndham, Sabor and Aura to make it happen.
When we checked in, the room was beautiful. The view from the 1st floor room we got was breathtaking. However, upon closer inspection, the room was a disaster, so to speak.

There was a giant, very noticable mold stain and leak in the ceiling of the bathroom above the sink. I pointed this out to the housekeeper who made a call to the desk, after which - it was never mentioned again. The drains apparently are never flushed with bleach, as they should be in a "5-Star" resort. The whirlpool tub drain didn't close all the way, so we ended up taking showers the whole trip, because the tub just would not fill up.

We had mosquitos by the hundreds flying up out of the drains, because they didnt close, we couldn't stop them from coming, and we got eaten alive. (Mexican mosquitos are evil, and dont cause "bites" we got huge blisters everywhere they bit us!)

1 Bottle of bleach in the drains could have prevented the mosquito onslaught. They also couldn't move us out of the room because they had "upgraded" us to the hotel and now the hotel was FULL.

The front desk was called DAILY about the mosquitos, their solution, after I showed them the blisters from the bites *day 3* was to bring down a can of Raid and sprayed. Which they only did twice.

We did not have ANYTHING in the minibar, despite repeated requests for it to be filled, for 4 of our 7 days there. When we did finally convince them to fill it. They would only put 3 sodas in there at a time, and 1 bottle of water.

Every night, the housekeeper would come around to offer us towels for the next day. Wonderful. However, housekeeping would shang-hai the still unused, folded towels first thing the next morning. We never got to use the towels!

Housekeeping was the best thing I could have seen about this hotel. They were efficient and friendly.

Room service was a joke. Never was our order gotten right. - NOT EVEN ONCE - in 7 days. I speak spanish, quite well, and I know the orders were placed correctly. My boyfriend is STILL waiting for the bacon we ordered on our last day. It is also VERY SLOW - you can be waiting for up to 2 hours for a meal.

We ended up getting sick and spending alot of time in the room from Hell. We are still unsure of the cause for the sickness. I am still, now 30 days later and 1 course of antibiotics, suffering the ill effects of whatever was going around down there.

While we were at this hotel, it decided to go "Lifestyle." Allowing topless sunbathing, and nude sunbathing in the upper deck bar. Awesome - except for the only lifestyle people at this hotel at the time, were us and the couple we came with! We were stared at on the beach as we sunbathed. Children were not supposed to be at the resort at this time, however there were kids all over the hotel. They were getting the overflow from Wyndham, from overbooking. Wyndham - in their INFINITE wisdom, send families over to our hotel, instead of singles and couples who were already past the impressionable age. BAD FORM!

I would not recommend ANY of the 3 Wyndam hotels down there.

Absolutely loved this place

by TripAdvisor Member lisa4travel

My boyfriend and I booked a very last minute trip and had no time to research hotels. I have to say that we were very thrilled with our choice and would go back to Aura in a heartbeat. We have both stayed at a number of high end hotels and resorts in the past. We are 40 years old.

I have read a lot of the reviews on here and will try my best to hit the highs and lows.

We found the accommodations to be spacious, clean and beautiful. The staff is constantly cleaning. Keep in mind that this resort is in MEXICO, not in the US, so yes, there are going to be bugs occasionally, but nothing ridiculous, in my opinion. We never saw cockroaches or anything like that.

Our suite was a swim-up suite, and I am so happy that we made that choice. It was so nice to just walk into the pool. The only complaint I have about the room is the shower. It's a large shower, but the showerhead is on the ceiling. Personally, I didn't care for that, but there's a tub as well, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I've never stayed at an all-inclusive resort before. But we thought the food was good. There weren't as many choices as we would have liked, but everything was good that we ate. On our last night we had lobster, which is not included in the AI price. But it only cost us $30 each extra. This was in all honesty one of the best meals I've ever had. The chef was very accommodating. If you don't see what you want, feel free to ask. Most likely they will accommodate you if they can.

When we first arrived, there was a large group of “swingers” staying at this resort. They were lounging at the pool topless. My understanding was that prior to our arrival they were wandering the resort in that fashion. After talking with them, I was informed that they had booked this trip well in advance and for whatever reason the resort felt that they needed to honor that reservation, but that they would not be encouraged to return (not in a large group type of booking). They were also told that they could only be topless at the one pool. We didn’t think it was that big of a deal because there were many places to go that they could be avoided.

The resort only seemed to be at about 25% capacity, so it wasn’t crowded at all. We loved that this is an all adult resort so there were no children. We also loved that it wasn’t crowded and you didn’t have to fight for loungers at the pool or wait for a table at the restaurant. Keep in mind that this is NOT a party resort. The people we met were all fun people and it seemed that everyone was drinking plenty, but it wasn’t like the party crowd. We loved it!

If you stay at the Aura, you have access to two other resorts. One is all adult the other is not. We spent some time at each of them. The change of scenery was nice. The people staying at those resorts do not have access to the Aura, however. Another huge bonus!

Probably the only negative that I can think of is that the spa is not located at this resort. It’s located next door at the Wyndham. It wasn’t that big of a deal, but it would probably have been had I had a pedicure, because we walked there via the beach.

The bar on the roof is the perfect place to watch the sunset. When we got up there, one of the hot tubs was super hot and the other didn’t seem to be working. But when we brought it to the attention of the staff, they were immediately working on it and got it working.

I can’t speak on the water activities because we just simply didn’t have time.

This resort is the PERFECT romantic getaway. It would be good for couples in their 20’s on up. I would probably even consider going here with my girlfriends if I was just looking for a relaxing time with no kids. We did see a few single people there, but it was primarily couples. We both highly recommend this resort. I am also posting some pictures.

Comments