Bello Caribe Hotel & Suites

Pedro Joaquin Coldwell No. 660, San Miguel, Quintana Roo, 77600, Mexico

More about Isla Cozumel

Mayan ruins at Punta Sur Eco Park in CozumelMayan ruins at Punta Sur Eco Park in Cozumel

Taxi following a scooterTaxi following a scooter

Large Water bottles by the bed in the hotelLarge Water bottles by the bed in the hotel

surfer Mexican selling hand made jewelrysurfer Mexican selling hand made jewelry

Safety Concerns

by colerick3

With all the problems that Mexico is encountering with the drug cartels, is it safe to travel around Cozumel?

We are flying there the end of December.

Thank you.

by Agraichen

I travel up/down the Baja 4-6 times a year and have had no issues at all. Like any other place you just have to be mindful of your suroundings.

by YVRDave

There were 3000 more homicides in the USA than Mexico last year, are you safe at HOME?
Yes Mexico is safe, the tourist area are VERY safe, just like your shopping mall at home

by pencho15

The drug cartel violence issues are terrible, but they are focused on only some regions in Mexico. Cozumel is far away from the places in wich Mexico is suffering from this violence and so you should not have nothing to worry about other than following the basic security measures you would follow in any other place in the world. enjoy your vacations

by juliogg

Cozumel is great. On the brink of boredom. Thats how safe. Go to the "Chankanab" park. Great snorkoling. Other side of the island is where they protect & release the baby turtles. (cahuamas) Rent a car one day and drive completely around island. If adventurist, then rent JEEP and go to light house.

by Dabs

Cozumel is just as described, kind of sleepy and certainly not dangerous. We go every year to Playa del Carmen which is just a short ferry ride away from Cozumel, the worst thing that has happened to me in 8 years of going there is a skinned knee when I fell off a bicycle and a really bad sunburn.

I'm sure there is a lot of pressure to keep the tourist areas free from drug violence as their economy depends on the influx of tourism. So relax and enjoy your trip.

Travel Tips for Isla Cozumel

Car rentals are really cheap

by globetrott

Once I had enough time to explore the landscape with some friends. We rented a jeep and someone had taken this picture of me.

Renting a car was really cheap and the island is not so very big, so you may explore quite a lot of it during an afternoon.

Splendid Toadfish

by Quero

This fish lies under coral formations in fairly shallow water (10 m). They have dark and light grey stripes on their faces and bodies, but bright yellow flesh inside their mouths and on their fins. In addition, they have barbels, or "whiskers" all along the bottom edge of their jaw. They are an odd mix of striking beauty and surprising ugliness. The Splendid Toadfish is endemic to Cozumel.

Diver Down

by hayward68

My favourite thing to do here is scuba diving. As my intro states, my 2nd trip to Cozumel was solo. I had been certified as an open water scuba diver 9 months previously and was needing to improve my skills. Cozumel was recommended to me by a travel agency specializing in diving, and as I'd been before and liked it I decided to go back.
My holiday was during the rainy season but that didn't stop me from enjoying myself. Heck, I was diving most days anyway so I was going to be wet regardless.
I met great people on the dive boats and became friends with a really nice couple. I even met half of the couple again when visiting the Netherlands the following year.
The diving was amazing in Cozumel. I took a refresher course and the first time I went underwater I was thrilled to see seahorses. I'd been told they are rare to see so this was quite a bonus for me. Unfortunately, since I was doing a course, my camera was topside on the dock.
Later on in the trip I even saw my first shark. Okay, it was only a nurse shark but it was still a shark, lol!
By the end of the week I had done many dives, improved my skills and made some wonderful friends. I'd go back to this island again and again, and many divers do.

Scuba Diving

by seagoingJLW

1. Barracuda Wall (90'-120'+)
2. Barracuda (90-120'+)
3. San Juan (40'-50')
4. Villa Blanca Wall (50'-60')
5. Paraiso Reef (40'-70')
6. Paraiso Wall (60'-120')
7. Chankanaab (35'-40')
8. Bolones de Chankanaab (40'-70')
9. Tormentos (50'-60')
10. Yucab Wall (80'-120')
11. Yucab (40'-50')
12. Punta Tunish Wall (50'-120'+)
13. Cordona
14. Cordona Deep (50'-60')
15. San Francisco Wall (45'-120')
16. Santa Rosa Shallows (40'-50')
17. Santa Rosa Wall (50' - 120+)
18. Paso del Cedral (50'-60')
19. Cedral Wall (60'-120')
20. Palancar: La Francesca (30'-60')
21. Palancar: Big Horseshoe (35'-120')
22. Palancar: Gardens (30'-80')
23. Palancar: Little Horseshoe (50'-90')
24. Palancar: Palancar Caves (50'-120'+)
25. Columbia (60'-120')
26. Punta Sur (90'-120')
27. Chun Cha Cab (80'-120'+)
28. Maracaibo Shallows (70'-90')
29. Maracaibo (120+)

You may have to pay to use the bathroom

by Jannacle

If you go outside your resort or port of call you may be required to pay in order to use the restrooms. I wish I had taken a picture of the sign I found outside a little shop bathroom that said, "Bano (Bathroom)Two Peso".

Comments