Casa Viento

The Country Club Estates, Quintana Roo, Mexico
AMOMA.com

More about Isla Cozumel

Small red hammock bought in CozumelSmall red hammock bought in Cozumel

Taxi price list at International pierTaxi price list at International pier

Quiet, calm, pretty Carlos and Charlies!Quiet, calm, pretty Carlos and Charlies!

East coast of CozumelEast coast of Cozumel

Swine Flu Impact in Cozumel

by 3martinilunch

What is the local impact in Cozumel of the Swine Flu concerns? I have plans to visit in mid-May.

by Laura_Mexico

Cancun and surrounding area (Playa del Carmen, Cozumel) have not been confirmed to have flu cases, but I know that nothing we Mexicans say will change the perception -- sometimes twisted -- that has been created abroad about what's going on in here.

You may want to read this other forum on the topic:

by cochinjew

Hello Laura hope you are keeping well..the prevention efforts are taking large proportions.. Japan is checking all passengers from Mexico and USA before they leave the aircraft!!!Pobre Mexico, this would have an incredibly negative effect on its tourism, even places which would be very safe like Cozumel or Merida..

by Laura_Mexico

Hola Yehuda!!! That's right...... Prevention is ok and all governments have the right to do it, but I guess that asking people not to come here is really going to hit us bad. But oh well, not much we can do!!

by Dabs

I just saw a AP news report that suggested that a Scottish couple that had been honeymooning in Cancun had come down with the swine flu. If it were my vacation, I'd be checking with my local travel clinic or with the CDC for their recommendations. You may also want to check with your airline/tour operator as many airlines are already cancelling flights.

Travel Tips for Isla Cozumel

After the storm

by LandieS2D2

I was in Cozumel this November, 2005. I must tell you that the Hurricanes have stripped all the leaves off of the trees and out from the city looks barren. There was not a single Commercial flight the entire day I was there. The piers for the large ships are not ready yet. They are using the Ferries to transport tourists into the docks.

Downtown is amaxing in what they have accomplished. I talked to an Expat from Denver, Colorado who told me about the rebuilding. There was 10 feet plus of trash and debris on the main drag after the hurricanes. The clean up and rebuilding is nothing short of miraculous. The shops are open again although the Mall is not yet open as of my visit. It is close to opening though. The side walks are being widned and the utilities are being placed underground which will go a long way to making the waterfront more attractive. They have a ways to go but the Mayor is progressive and it shows.

Other buildings off of the main drag are the same as before. You are not certain whether the damage was from the Hurricanes or lack of good construction methods. Beyond the main drag it is the same as previous trips.

Enjoy but do not look for it to be back to speed till a year from now.

Sandy beach, turquoise water.

by joefred28

I have not seen other resorts or hotels on the island therefore I cannot make comparisons, but I am enamored by the Reef club.
If you are a diver, the Sand dollar dive shop is right next door, you can just walk there.
Even if you don't dive, it is fun to visit the place, especially if Horatio is there with his turkey. I mean, cockatoo.
Horatio is an under-water photographer, for a fee he'll go down with you and make an excellent video of your dive.
I did one dive in the pool, after that I just snorkeled. There is no single thing I miss the most about this Island, I miss EVERYTHING.

Birds of the Beach

by grandmaR

The Mayans believed that Cozumel was the spiritual home of Ixchel, the Mayan Goddess of fertility and love. The name Cozumel comes from the Mayan word "Cuzamil-Pectin" or "Land of the Swallows" because, as legend has it, she thanked the women for dedicating temples here to her by sending her favorite bird as a sign of gratitude. I got a photo of a rosette spoonbill, and a black vulture (photo 4) plus a little blue heron (photo 2) and a couple other birds. When we came in the building near there looked like it had a vulture nest on top, or at any rate there was a couple of vultures up there, one of which was holding his wings out. But the vultures had left by the time we came back.

There are two species of birds on Cozumel found nowhere else in the world: the Cozumel vireo and the Cozumel thrasher. I don't think we saw either of them although the bird in photo 5 might be a candidate.

Sports Deck

by Tolik

Small Sport Deck is the place where you will find the Aerobics Room, and men and women saunas. The facilities are rather small and were crowded first day, but later became quite tolerable. Passengers can choose from a variety of exercise classes daily, ranging from aerobics to stretching. A fee is charged for some classes.

Christmas decorations

by Dabs

As someone who grew up in a place that always has cold and usually snow for Christmas, it's always very strange for me to see Christmas decorations in warm climates while I'm sweating and walking around in shorts.

And how exactly does Santa Claus get around in his sleigh and doesn't it get awfully hot in that furry red suit? Do images of Santa Claus in Mexico have him arriving on a sailboat?

Comments