Calle 6 Norte 81, Quintana Roo, 77600, Mexico
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Flamingo Hotel

Run like hell!

We first found this hotel when we were in Cozumel on a cruise last Christmas, it looked quaint and the young lady at the front dest was wonderful. So, we thought we would give it a try this Christmas and stay exclusively there for 5 nights. We read all the wonderful reviews this hotel had recieved and thought we had found a piece of paradise. Well when we arrived there, were we definantly WRONG. We didn't expect to much for the price we were paying, so we knew going into this that it would be a little more rustic, but your not in your room that much anyway. Well when we first arrived there they put us in the wrong room, and after we had unpacked a young lady, which wasn't at the front desk when we checked in, said we had been placed in the wrong room and we needed to move, this is after we had already unpacked. But, the young lady was polite, so we didn't complain, and to let you know, she was the only good thing about this hotel. Once they finally did put us in room #35, which was a spacious room, we needed to clean up, so we attempted to take showers. Well, there was a stream of water which never got hot, and to be honest I could pee a harder stream than what came out of the shower. And of course the toilet barely flushed, due to the VERY low water pressure. Ok, we laughed, and then said we wanted rustic and hoped it would get better. So, we went down to the bar, and when I attempted to order a Mojita they didn't have mint, and they never had it the whole time I was there during the Christmas holidays, not sure how the other guest got Mojitas. Also, went down to have breakfeast on Christmas and they had run out of eggs, or should I say, didn't have any eggs at all. Also, don't rent a vehicle through this hotel, because they will send you to Aguillar Rental which will rent you a piece of junk for $65.00 USD, which nearly got my wife and I killed twice due to no acceleration and the gas fumes made my wife sick. If you are going to rent a vehicle in Cozumel, pay a little extra and rent from Executive, it was a jeep with less than 10, 000 miles and the employees were much more helpful than Aquillar Rental. And on the aspect of being run by an American, (Tom), he was no help to us at all on the questions that we did have and I have to say was very rude to my wife and I. Not sure if it was because we were not avid divers. To finish this long sermon, the service and hotel was so bad that we paid $220.00 extra dollar to change our flight back to Houston so that we could get out of that hell hole hotel. I am not sure how this hotel has gotten a great rating so much, and don't think that this was our first time to Mexico or Cozumel, we go every six months, and we no what to expect. So, I am telling you don't believe everything you read, definantly avoid this place at all cost.

Charming downtown hotel

My family of five was on vacation in Cancun and went Scuba diving for two days off of Cozumel, so I booked a couple of last-minute rooms for the night at the Hotel Flamingo on the island. What a charming downtown hotel! We had an excellent dinner in the intimate, foliaged courtyard near the fountain. We raved over the goat's cheese and carmelized onion appetizer served with brochettes of shrimp and chicken. The meal was prepared to perfection and the presentation was lovely. Then our server skillfully delighted us with flaming Mexican coffees to finish the evening.

The rooms were fine - clean and unpretentious - and if we'd had longer to stay we certainly would have made use of the private rooftop patio for sunning or lounging with views of the docked cruise ships.

The tasty complimentary breakfast got us started the next day for a bit of exploring and shopping before our afternoon dives. We felt we'd found a real gem of a place and highly recommend the Hotel Flamingo.

The Best Way to Experience Cozumel!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member TorontoTonto

I stayed at the Flamingo the first week in Jan. 2005. I chose it based on the reviews in TripAdvisor.com. I was not disappointed!

The Flamingo Hotel is a delightful 4-storey, yellow-stucco hotel with a modest, provincial charm. Like the town itself, it has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere that will suit independent travellers of all ages and nationalities. English and Spanish are spoken fluently by the staff.

It's close to everything: a 100 pesos (w/tip) ride to the airport, just 4 blocks to ferry, and 3 blocks to the town centre and shopping - but not too close - the Flamingo is on a peaceful side street with minimal traffic.

There's a bar and a courtyard restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch and gourmet dinner, and a rooftop bar where you can lounge, watch the cruise ships in the harbour and chat with your fellow guests as the sun sets over the water.

The Flamingo is good value for the conservative traveller who wants to be close to the centre but not right in it. It has very large rooms with big windows, a powerful ceiling fan with a not so powerful air conditioner, TV, telephone and a bathroom with walk-in shower (no tub) and plenty of hot water. The rooms are very, very, clean with friendly maid service.

The Flamingo staff are very helpful and will make sure your stay is an enjoyable one - whether it's diving, biking, shopping or just lazing on the dozens of public beaches Cozumel has to offer.

While there's nothing wrong with all-inclusive resorts, there's so much to see and do in San Miguel and so many different places to explore on the island, you'll be glad you stayed at the Hotel Flamingo.

I was. And I'd definitely come back again!

It seemed like staying with a family.

by TripAdvisor Member ABEFlyer

Spent a few days at the Hotel Flamingo with my son on a spur of the moment trip. It wasn't fancy, but very reasonable and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It seemed like staying with a family. Wherever you went from this convenient hotel, people seemed to know the owner, Tom. You must try the food. Dinner was execellent so if you decide not to stay here at least stop in for dinner. Neither of us are divers, but Chantel, front desk clerk, set us up with a day long trip where we went Snuba diving (got to dive twenty feet underwater to look at the coral and fish while tethered to a 20 foot airhose). That alone made the trip worthwhile.

Great Mexico Stay

If you're not into touristy "cruise ship cattle car" feeling, and want to experience Mexico, I highly recommend Hotel Flamingo. In the heart of Cozumel, you are convenient to everything, but still enjoy the feeling of old Mexico. We are repeat guests here, and always enjoy the rooms, food and drink. The restaurant, newly opened, served us one of the best meals we've had on the island. If you are a diver, the room - dive package makes sense. They offer a small group diving experience, very safe, and personal attention.

Over the Top...

We just returned from Cozumel yesterday (Feb 15, 2005). Hotel Flamingo was the perfect location to celebrate Mardi Gras. The owner, Tom, was very nice and helpful. The food was great and served all day long. Our room was spacious with a balcony. I recommend the deluxe room 22. They even installed a hair dryer for me!

We will stay there every time.

Thanks Hotel Flamingo.
Stacy and Mel

It's about being a customer not a number.

I started coming to Cozumel in 1992. Back then I stayed mostly at "All in-clusive" types of hotels. Luckily on one of my trips I stumbled across the "Hotel Flamingo".
My first stay was in 1998. I have stayed at the Hotel Flamingo on all my trips to Cozumel ever since. Over the years, it only seems to get better and better. The food is outstanding! The bar, inviting and the service has always been excellent.
If your tired of just being a number and sick of food that all tastes the same, try something a little more personal. I highly recommend the "Hotel Flamingo!"

Everything we needed to enjoy our vacation

We stayed at the Flamingo for 8 nights, Feb 8-15, 2005. It is a lovely little place, full of atmosphere, but away from the busy town center, allowing us to enjoy the quiet evenings. We felt welcomed and at home there. The staff was very friendly and helpful in all regards, as was Tom, the owner. The room was spacious and met our needs. The cable TV had english-speaking channels. The bathroom was adequate, and voltage outlets were standard 120V. Breakfast was included in the room price. The dinner menu was a treat, and we sampled almost everything on it. The chef, from Chile, was a master in cuisine. Every meal, breakfast and dinner, was perfect. You won't find a nicer place for the price. Mind you, if you are looking for fancy, try the hotels south of town along the coast, and be prepared to pay at least 3 times the price per night. The Flamingo Hotel met all of our needs, and with what we saved in room cost, allowed us to spend a little extra money during our daylight adventures snorkeling, diving, soaking up the sun, and renting a moped so we could sample almost every beach. We will most definitely make reservations at the Flamingo for our next trip to Cozumel.

Careful!

by TripAdvisor Member DPW

Watch it if you book a room at this place. They overbook. You may wind up standing in the hotel lobby grubby and tired after your flight in with no room to go to, like we did. The desk clerk was kind enough to find us similar alternative lodgings, for which we were greatful. Hotel Flamingo blamed Travelocity for our problem. This seemed plausible until others arrived at our hotel who had also been bounced because no room and no reservation were held via Hotel Flamingo's direct 1-800 number. So you may book here and end up staying somewhere else entirely. My impression was that it was a common problem and occurred regularly. We did eat at the Hotel Flamingo restaurant and it is well worth trying. We had steak, fajitas, lamb chops and the best guacamole on the island-all excellent! Nice homey ambience in the bar and we wish we could have stayed here despite the booking problem.

A Wonderful Change from the All-Inclusives!

My friend & I stayed at Hotel Flamingo for a week on Feb. 18-25. We were so happy when we pulled up to the lobby of this quaint hotel in the downtown, instead of an all-inclusive monster-sized hotel. (We have both stayed at all-inclusives, so we decided to take a different kind of vacation this time). The location is great; it's within walking distance of the shops, restaurants/bars, internet cafes, and only a little way from the ocean. Although there is no real beach nearby, there is a nice beach that's a $5 cab ride (Playa Azul). Our room was cleaned daily and we had no problems with that...other than the air conditioner was a bit tempermental (but who's getting picky about things like that anyway--we're on vacation). Beds were comfy & clean. The food in the restaurant was fantastic (try the chicken brochettes, YUM!); I wish we would've eaten there more often...but there are so many wonderful restaurants around town! Tom, the owner, ended up to be pretty friendly--he gave us some good suggestions about which beaches we spend the day at. He even gave us a ride out to one of the beaches when we were running low on cash! Julien finally remembered that I like cream with my coffee in the mornings--too bad it took a week:) The only improvement I can think of would be to fix up the rooftop palapa--no one seems to use it much, but it's a really nice place for morning coffee, and probably for watching the sunset, too. I talked to Tom about this and I understand it's one of his future projects. I guess I'll get to enjoy it during my next stay at the Flamingo!

Comments