Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa

Carretera Costera Sur Km 12.9, (formerly Reef Club Cozumel), Quintana Roo, 77600, Mexico
Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 52% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa

Best Value for Beach Access

by Wanderlust_Wendy about Reef Club Cozumel

Visited the Reef Club for an extended weekend to dive and lounge on the beach in 11/07. Our accomodations were clean and simple with tile floors and your typical floral bedspread. The hotel buildings are on oceanfront property, but the rooms don't have "ocean views" per se, so don't bother insisting on a view...especially when you can spend your time actually relaxing IN the turquoise blue waters of El Mar Caribe along a white sandy beach! The hotel staff were gracious and friendly, especially when you speak a few words of Spanish, which makes their smile bigger. Be sure to tip your maid a few dollars a day as that is where most of their income originates. It may even bring you fresh flowers. :) All-inclusive meals were typically buffet with choices from a few restaurants. Don't expect gourmet, but you won't starve either because the food is decent and abundant. I loved meeting up for cocktails with my new dive buddies in the new Azul lounge with its cool white & blue decor. I hear people comment about how they can't get Grey Goose Dirty Martinis, R.Mondavi Cabernet, or Pabst Blue Ribbon and just roll my eyes. You're asking for a premium import on a Mexican island while you drink all you can on the cheap. I'm grateful for the warm smile behind the bartender serving me tequila or the excellent authentic Mexican lager & ale, Dos Equis. on the longest beach in Coz, San Francisco Beach. 2 seperate pool areas for kiddies and relaxing. on-site shopping complex perfect for picking up last-minute tourist tchotchke and the forgotten toothbrush. professional & friendly on-site dive operator, Sand Dollar Sports.

All inclusive - for divers

by Trainwreck20 about Reef Club

I have stayed here many times and never had a bad experience. The resort is close to the dive sites and far away from the cruise ships. The beach is acceptable by Cozumel standards and snorkeling is okay, although not great. The food was good for breakfast and lunch, but dinner was just passable, at best. The sit down restaurant was a major improvement. The price for what you get is great, but the trip into town is a little far if you plan on going often. I usually go during the 'hurricane' season, and the crowds are probably a little less, but I have never seen it too crowded. The quiet is probably the best characteristic of the Reef Club. I am usually looking to relax and read by the pool or on the beach when I am not diving, and this has worked great every time.

could be a 3 star with a little work

by TripAdvisor Member TXDollarBill

I travel quite a lot in Mexico and have been in many countries both business and pleasure . First ,to discuss the Wyndham Cozumel one needs a little clarification . First the Hotel consists of three or 4 different parts of the resort . Regular guest rooms ,Sabor ,Reef ,Aura ,which is being built . Many of the pics are a little misleading as they are from the more deluxe areas of the resort . The claimed 7 or 8 pools is a joke as I only saw 2 that the regular guests could use and they were plenty busy ! The resort sits on a very attractive beach and has excellent frontage alongside the Caribbean Sea .The grounds are lush as well . The staff at the restaurants are very pleasant and really work hard to keep you happy and the food was quite decent ,even good . There were some rough areas along as well . Some of the "timeshare selling sharks" got old too as they assaulted you upon entering the lobby ,this is unacceptable and shameful. Also some of the rooms had lights not working ,plumbing not functioning and my friends had a leaky toilet for 3 days !! Some of the Sabor sellers were rude and the cleaners for the room were at times unreliable .With proper management and better maintainence it could be a 3 star resort .Honestly it could be better if only more oversight from management . Now only 2 stars could be given and the Hampton Inns in the U.S. could easily trounce it with slicker services and tighter controls.If you are someone who just wants a room to flop and not looking for 400 thread count sheets and good pillows you may indeed find it perfect! Would I use this resort again ? Probably not but who knows if they make the adjustments probably so .

A Wonderful Time Wyndam Cozumel Resort

by TripAdvisor Member TMASS

My son and I stayed at the resort in the members section Nov. 20 through the 27th and had a wonderful time. We dove 5 days out of the seven with Sand Dollar Sports the onsite dive company and it was great. They really took care of us and the diving was fantastic with all the reefs just a short boat ride away.

The resort was fairly crowded over Thanksgiving but not packed. The staff at the resort was extremely friendly and curtious and went out of their way to make it a great vacation. I can't say enough about how wonderful all the people working at the resort were.

The food at the three restaurants was in my opinion exceptional, from the service to the presentation it was as good or better than any expensive restaurant in most cities. Vista Del Mar, Roberto's and Mosaque(sorry about the spelling) in the new Sabor section were great and the new menus had a very nice variety. The drinks at dinner were also very good. The chicken fajitas at Chilies, which was the snack bar were also some of my favorites for lunch but for a wider selection lunch at the main buffet was excellent and the mojito's were tastey.

The new Sabor section of the resort really looked like nice area with a fanastic pool but it is reserved for adults only. That would be a nice place to stay in the future. One thing I would recommend is take along some bug repellent, the mosquitos do come out when the sun goes down. I can't wait to go back in April!

A lot better now

by TripAdvisor Member diverz3

Cozumel Wyndham (Reef Club)

Cozumel Reef Club 11/24 to Dec1, 2007

First a big Thank you to all those who posted a report this year and last on this Resort.
All of our negative reports really got some positive action.
I know some think we were a bunch of whiners but a lot of us are locked into this Resort and would lose a lot of money if we just went somewhere else.

With that said here are my personal observations, staying in a member’s suite on this trip.

It is so much better now after the Wyndham group took over.
They have really improved the food, on how it is handled, prepared, and served.
The food itself, to us, was OK to pretty good.
No one at the resort got sick from the food that I heard of.
The only nit pick I had, they only open one specially restaurant at night.
They said it was because of the slow season, they where only 40 % full.
But you did not need reservations. First come first served.
Much better!

The check in and out was fast and easy, as it used to be.

We had all the bottle water and towels we needed.

We had two rolls of toilet paper all the time.

The grounds are well kept up but there is a lot of construction going on the Sabor side.
The snorkeling I’m told was good but you need water shoes in the water.
After Wilma and some really bad Northerners they were forced to put a lot of big rocks and gravel out from the beach area to keep it from washing away.

Most of the same friendly, helpful resort personal is still there.

My wife and I had a very good time and will be back.
Would I buy points, certificates, or a weeks deal again, No!
For now in my opinion it is a great resort for the money and you can always upgrade to the member units.

Excellent trip!

by TripAdvisor Member gkh_98

Just got back from our trip at the reef club and we had a great time. We did an RCI exchange and stayed in the Regency side (owners) and the suite we stayed in was fantastic. It had ocean views and a huge balcony with a hot tub. Our main reason for staying here was the great access to scuba diving, and we did get 9 dives in during a 1 week stay. We are a married couple in our late twenties and traveled with my father and our 8 month old son.

Pros:
Great food and drinks
Great access to diving through Sand Dollar Sports
Not a huge mega resort feel, you can walk everywhere
Very friendly staff

Cons:
There is not a great beach in front of the resort it was very rocky, but you can walk just a couple resorts to the south there are some nice beaches.

OK

by TripAdvisor Member unknown_person

What can I say? Been once, and that will do for one life time.

The plus side was the friendly staff, especially Carlos on reception. He was more than helpful. He was really polite, funny and friendly, and his English was excellent!! He mentioned that he once worked there in the entertainment staff, and now he works on reception, but I think his talents are wasted on such a basic position. Anyway, look out for him - he's great.

Also, most the entertainment staff are great to be around. The work such long hours for such little pay, and always have a smile on their faces!!!

About the rest. This is where it kind of goes down hill. Firstly, the food isnt that great - and im not a picky eater, which is kind of a downfall because I got food poisoning!

Next, the floor around the main pool area is so dangerous when its wet. Be really careful after its been raining. You will slip so easily - as I saw many people fall.

Also, the beach, if thats what you call it. Theres a bit of sand covering lots of rocks, and as for going into the sea - forget it. You need to buy some shoes that you can go in the sea in as there are loads of razor sharp rocks covering the shore line. Even with shoes - be careful. I went in one day, with my shoes on, and I fell on slippy rock when trying to get out the sea and cut my leg open. Not great, especially if you've got kids with you!!!

Throughout my stay we had a problem with the water. Be prepared for either boiling hot water or icy cold water. They didnt seem to have a constant flow of warm water.

Altogether, Cozumel is a wonderful place I would love to visit again, but I think I would stay at one of the Occidental hotels instead of here. The only plus side to this hotel are the staff.

It was okay.

by TripAdvisor Member sargesun

My husband and I stayed in the Sabor section of the hotel. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, the ground were well manicured, the area was quiet (minus the faint construction noise from Wyndham's new hotel next door), the pool was beautiful and the staff was friendly.

Here are the reasons I would not stay there again:

The Beach: If for any reason you are staying at this hotel because you want a nice beach, this is not the place to go. You will need water socks no matter what, the space is small and it is just not that scenic. Additionally, Wyndham is building Aura, a new hotel next door and they don't clean the beach in front of it so there is a lot of trash from construction.

The Food: The resort food was a step above airplane fare. All of our meals were mediocre at best. There were so few choices that were relevant to typical Mexican fare or even local seafood for that matter. It was unfortunate. Oh and on a rainy day we ordered room service - the burger was terrible, I suggest refraining from ordering it.
The drinks, with the exception of the first one my husband ordered were very weak.

The Mosquitoes: I understand your on a tropical island and this is to be expected, but they are terrible there. Maybe it's the fresh water pool or the vegetation but make sure you have on bug spray at all times - even in your room.

The Snorkel Trip:
The snorkeling trip we booked through the hotel left a lot to be desired. The boat ride was awesome and the staff on the boat were great but the reefs they took you to were so deep you couldn't even swim down to them. Make sure to bring your own snorkel with the air chamber as the ones they provide do not have this and in order to get a good view, you really need to dive.

If you really want to get a flavor of Mexico and Cozumel, I would suggest renting a car.

We spent several days at Mr. Sanchos Beach Club and had an awesome time, lying on the beach and snorkeling plus they have the BEST coconut shrimp, guacamole and salsa.

We also headed downtown one evening and had dinner at a place called Guidos which was really good. The East side beaches are a great site to see and some of them are very clean and private.

One more thing... Rent your car directly from the rental agency downtown. It's 66.00 to rent a car from the hotel and 27.00 to get one downtown or at the airport.

Maybe I am just not an all-inclusive kind of gal - maybe Cozumel is truly just a diver's paradise and the hotel is literally a place to rest your head. Either way I won't be back..

At the Reef Club on Cozumel.

by joefred28

I'd just like to show some pictures of the Reef club resort and of San Miguel, the only city on the Island.

"Folkloric show on Monday-nights."

The "Mexican Riviera"

by canukagogo

"Good Cosas, Fun Cosas"

On Cozumel: eat at La Cabana del Pescador, fantastic lobster, pricy, rest of the meal free, great atmosphere. Wait for it to open across the street at some bar that's on the beach (forget name), watching the sun set over the small pier.
Have a beer at Marley's reggae bar at the south end of Coz - 24 hours of reggae 12 hours a day! The Reef Club Cozumel is a great co-host if you're a guest of the Reef Club Caribbean at Playa. We booked a Fury Catamaran 2 reef/lobster bbq snorkeling trip and it was great - tacky, fun, good food, great crew, saw mantas, morays, parrotfish - great!

The pool area at the Reef Club.The pool area at the Reef Club.

Sunrise at the Reef club.Sunrise at the Reef club.

Beach by the Reef Club.Beach by the Reef Club.

Scooter (Dec 2009)Scooter (Dec 2009)

Reef Club Cozumel versus El Cozumeleno

by lkiewer

Has anyone stayed at either or both of these? I would love some input (good or bad) about your experiences. We will be staying and diving. No kids, but don't mind a little noise.

Thanks

Re: Reef Club Cozumel versus El Cozumeleno

by wyo_husker

My husband and I and another couple stayed at El Coz in 2002. We had a great time! When we checked into our garden view room we were told "no garden....no view" and that was correct. We paid for an upgrade (can't remember how much) and got a 4th floor room in the new south tower. It was a beautiful large oceanview room with balcony. The snorkeling in front of the hotel was great. There were also kayaks to use. The food was ok - not great, but we didn't go to eat alot. There is a reservations only restaurant we ate at once- it had better food. The beer and sodas were all on tap and somewhat weak, but you just drink more! There were theme parties 2 or 3 nights a week with music and dancers we enjoyed. Also, the resort event staff would select a bar in town and we could get drink specials there by showing our El Coz bracelet. We had a great time at the Hard Rock Cafe! The staff at El Coz were all very friendly and treated us well. I would recommend this resort, however if you plan to do a lot of diving you may be better off towards the southern end of the island.

RE: Reef Club Cozumel versus El Cozumeleno

by Prankster5

The Reef Club is better for diving as it is closer to all the dive spots. The Cozumeleño is OK for families, the food and liquor are so, so. Nothing to write home about, and it´s also very far from the dive spots.

Comments