Avenida Carlos Lazo 1, , Isla Mujeres, 77400, Mexico

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Beware!

We have been to Isla many times over 20 years. We love the location (Playa Norte) on Isla's finest beach, and near enough for an easy walk to town. Usually we stay at Na Balam (our favorite hotel on the island), but they had been booked when I was scheduling the trip. So, I reserved online at Cabanas Maria Del Mar. What a rip off. First off, they told us nothing when we checked in, such as, you must pay to sit on their beach (not just rent chairs - they've got a sign on the beach saying they'll charge you regardless), or even the good stuff: a continental breakfast included. Worse, they misrepresented the policy of the neighboring hotel, stating they charge for chairs as well (the neighbor hotel does not charge their guests to sit down). After 2 days, we were able to move to another hotel. At checkout the shakedown started in earnest. First they charged us for an extra night for changing our reservation. Then....get this, they said they would not apply the one night's deposit I paid with the reservation claiming the travel agent "keeps that". So, we ended up paying the cost of four nights for two nights. I will dispute the rapacious overcharging with my credit card company when we return, but for now just want to warn others.

• graz-ie's Profile Photo

Cabañas Maria del Mar

I stayed in the hotel for three nights and it was nice and clean - towels and everything there. I had a standard room, so no comfort - just the opportunity to be on the beach in one minute after getting out of bed :) - which was very nice and the hotel also wasn´t very far from the center.

More about Cabanas Maria Del Mar

I will be back!

I just came back from 4 days at Cabanas Maria del Mar and I will definately be back!!!.
I stayed in the just remodeled "Castle" Section, new beds, new tile, new everything, great atmosphere!.
Front desk was very helpful since I was there looking for specific information about my wedding.
I can recommend this place to my friends with no problem.

Would never stay anywhere else

My husband and I stayed in the castle section the 1st week in February and it was fabulous!! Everything was very clean and the staff was very hospitable. This hotel has the best beach than any other hotel we saw on the island. Buho's restaurant and the outdoor bar is outstanding!! It seems as though everyone staying at any other hotel walks to Cabanas Maria del Mar to lay out on the beach and to enjoy the outdoor bar. We plan on returning next year and will most definately stay here again. You would be crazy not to!

complainers gotta be smokin' crack!

by TripAdvisor Member Ferknot

Another absolutely fabulous vacation on Isla Mujeres. My significant other and I have stayed at Cabanas Maria Del Mar four other visits, with this being our fifth. We, as always, were completely satisfied. This Hotel and staff has never ceased to please us in every way. The staff is very hospitable, friendly, and go out of their way to make "friendly" visitors comfortable and happy. Respect goes both ways in this environment and we have no complaints. We stayed in the newly remodeled Castle section and our six other friends stayed in the wonderfully quaint Cabana section. We visited their space as much, if not more, than they did ours. We have stayed in other hotels on this Island, but this is our favorite. The price is fair, and the hotel sits right on the gorgeous Playa Norte beach. Also, the second day of our stay, we had a horrific motor scooter accident. We were rushed to the emergency/trauma Hospital Naval on the Island. We needed extra care in our rooms, including many clean linens and constant ice from the restaurant. The staff was more than understanding and supplied us with whatever we needed without question or additional charge. Needless to say, we will be back on the Island soon, hopefully in 2005. We will, no doubt, stay at Cabanas Maria Del Mar once again, and are very anxious to enjoy the beauty there. Playa Norte is the most beautiful beach we have seen on the Island, as well as in all of our many travels through Europe, the Caribbean and more. I cannot even THINK of a complaint if I had to!

Hotel Cabañas Maria del Mar

Hotel Cabañas Maria del Mar was great, we stayed in the castle section and we loved it! the rooms have just been remodeled, very very clean, spacious, sink is awesome, made of red stone, room looks and feels new, we loved it.
The staff was very nice, Clara made our reservations, the beach is absolutely georgeous! we had a partial view to the water that was great, you do not need more than that, we were on the beach most of the day.
The swings bars are the place to be, the food was very good, we had an excellent time, we will be back!

AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL staff

The staff at this hotel are ABOMINABLE. They are so rude (VERY unusual for Mexicans) that we were forced to ask ourselves if the hotel states 'ill mannered' as essential to its staff selection criteria, or whether it is running some sort of employment scheme for people who are so educationally challenged that they don't understand basic pleasantries. The reception staff are very odd, and I only managed to get on with them by using all of the most gracious (and ingratiating) linguistic formulae I have ever learnt. The old guy who rents out the sunbeds (yes!, you pay a bomb to stay at the hotel and then you also have to pay for EACH sunbed you use, and each umbrella!) is very nice, but the restaurant staff at the Buho's [sic] beachside bar and eatery... Good grief! In Europe or the US they would have been kicked out years ago, and probably imprisoned for assault of guests. The fact that a 15% 'tip' [sic] is added to all restaurant bills probably explains in part why they are so rude, ill-mannered, argumentative, and generally sub-human. No point in making an effort if you're going to get a whopping 15% tip anyway, is there?
This hotel is also OBSESSED with charging you for EVERYTHING. Guests have to sign to say they'll pay US$30 for a beach towel if it is lost or stolen (although, graciously, these are loaned free), and US$50 for the lock for the safety deposit box. Each night's accommodation has to be paid up front - no refunds. Credit card payments are charged at 5.5% (extortionate) - this on top of the 15% 'tip' charged in the restaurant. Although a continental breakfast is offered as part of the room rate it is in fact much, much smaller than the continental breakfast offered on the (very expensive) restaurant menu. And - best of all! - when checking out, the receptionist actually calls up the maid on her walkie-talkie to check over the room you've just vacated to make sure you haven't pinched any towels or bed linen - or maybe the tv or the bed itself, who knows! This is extremely poor practice. It's tantamount to accusing all guests of being potential thieves.
The room in which we stayed (in the new block) was large and very attractive. Unfortunately, however, this hotel has so many terrible points that the nice room couldn't possibly compensate for them.

Surprising Little Gem

October 14-19, 2004. Based on the reviews we had read, we weren't expecting much other than a bed with a roof over it, but we found this hotel to be better than anticipated, and a good value at off season rates. At high season prices, it would have been a different story. We stayed in a ground floor cabana room near the pool. All the facilities were clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was tasty and reasonably priced. The complimentary continental breakfast is rather small. So, hearty eaters may need to order some additional side items. The beach is great! Too bad the hotel has decided to charge extra for the use of the beach chairs. It seems a bit tacky. Their cash in advance policy also seems a little strange by US standards, but they explained all the terms clearly when we made our reservations. If you go into this with the knowledge that you are in an out of the way location in a foreign country, and just enjoy the friendly people, quiet laid back atmosphere, and beautiful scenery, you can have a wonderful experience, as we did.

Wonderful Place!!

by TripAdvisor Member cabernetj

Stayed 3 nights in September in the cabanas section. We just loved it. Room was a good size and patio overlooked pool and gardens. The beach is just beautiful! The staff was very nice and helpful, especially Margarita. We were advised to leave a day early since hurricane Ivan was coming close and they were concerned the ferry might not be running the day we were to leave. Not only did they let us use the phone to try to reschedule our flight home they refunded our unused night! Great hotel, great staff, great beach!!

Like our family

From the moment we arrive to Isla Mujeres we felt relaxed, but when we walked in the Maria del Mar Hotel we were treated as family, it was our second visit to MdM and everybody recognized us, AMAZING!!!, Margarita and Clara welcome us and our children, and Mr. Transito helped us to take our bags into the just remodeled Castle section room # 17. I am Venezuelan and my children speak both english and spanish and we were very excited to practice our language during this trip. We truly felt like they were concerned about us, they provided us with some toys for my 18 month old baby. The staff at the restaurant were very helpful and Henry spoiled my baby every day.
We are organizing our 5th wedding anniversary and Maria helped us greathly with the planning.
We were not so lucky with the weather, we had some rain and strong winds but that did not ruin our vacation, we enjoyed it every day and we look forward to come back next year.

Comments