Hotel Playa la Media Luna

Seccion Rocas Lt 9/10 Punta Norte, Mexico

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • Hotel Playa La Media Luna

Be careful here with the small print - 10% charge if you want to pay by credit card... which they do not point out at check in... a frustrating way to end your stay.
    Although they quote rates in USD, they charge in Peso at an exchange rate in their favour...

Beach is OK, but too rocky & red flags in winter, however is more exclusive than Playa del Norte.

Overall not worth the high price, next time will try to get into the Hotel Secreto which is next door, or get a cheaper place on Playa del Norte itself.

Hurricane damage is fairly well recovered on Isla Mujeres - not as badly damaged as Cancun hotel strip.

Directions: On Playa Media Luna

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Hammock by the sea

We stayed with a group of 20, so got a good rate. The staff was very cordial and helpful and the rooms clean and cheery. Each room has a small patio with a hammock so you can relax under the palms and see the sea.
    The breakfast is rather limited: bread for toasting, butter, jam, peanut butter, juice and coffee. The coffee is very good.

Unique Quality: Situated right on the beach, you have great views of the ocean. Nice pool.

More about Isla Mujeres

View of ocean from backyard Puerta AzulView of ocean from backyard Puerta Azul

Sancochos GrillSancochos Grill

My friend Christelle with a pina coladaMy friend Christelle with a pina colada

Boats at North Beach, Isla MujeresBoats at North Beach, Isla Mujeres

Hurricaine impact??

by tmf

We are planning a trip to Isal Mujerese and Tulum in December. Any news on the impact of the hurricaine?

RE: Hurricaine impact??

by pencho15

We still have not much info about the hurricane impact, Tulum and Isla Mujeres had been severely damaged, but we can`t know for sure until communications are reestablished.
As both Tulum and Isla Mujeres are touristic places it is probably that they will recover quickly from all the damage, and you probably may travel there in December. (that won`t happen to many towns in Chiapas wich will take a long time to recover from Stan)

RE: Hurricaine impact??

by gomexico

I'd skip that area for at least the next 30 days.

by alfredop

I would escape it for the next 3 months.

by gomexico

I'm in the middle of the Televisa nightly news. I'd say Cancun and the surrounding area is one to skip for the next year. The destruction is on an enormous scale.

by alfredop

When Gilberto took place it took about a year to recover from the damage.

Last night I heard they say the expect at least 3 months for recovery expecting tourists by the end of december or january but that is not for sure as hotels are asking for financial support from the goverment. In exchange of that support they promise not to fire all local workers. If that happens the recovery may take up to 6 months.

by gomexico

I read an interview with one of the officials of the company that owns/operates the Carlos & Charlies/Senor Frog's restaurant chains and he said Wilma was far worse than Gilbert. All of the companies restaurants in the area are damaged and he said they expect to be closed for as long as one-year. In storms like this, though, there are likely to be places, spotty, that are relatively okay. I saw pictures from one such place today located in Playa del Carmen. I still wouldn't vacation in the region though. Too many inconveniences and remembrances of the disaster . . . not to mention the likely coming onslaught of mosquitos (Oh, and the stink!).

Travel Tips for Isla Mujeres

QUAINT FISHING VILLAGE

by LoriPori

The FISHING VILLAGE of Isla Mujeres, situated a short five miles across the azure seas from Cancun, makes an excellent day trip.
Hans and I enjoyed the calm, relaxing atmosphere of this island paradise. Many locals and their families were also enjoying a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon with their families. Fishing nets were hung to dry.
The village is the place to indulge yourself with fresh seafood at the many thatched roofed restaurants right on the beach.

Bird Sanctuary

by Ophelio

For bird watching, take a day tour of the uninhabited National wildlife reserve of Contoy. There is a small museum featuring ecological displays. This particular place doesn't very look open, but there are places on the island to book this tour:)

Delicious chicken

by toontown about Rosticeria

This little place is only open during the day. It specializes in spit-roasted chicken with all the (Mexican) fixings - tortillas, rice, beans, hot peppers, and picked onion relish. You can eat there but take-out is also popular. Delicious and inexpensive.

Caribbean Village

by Enzyme_X

At the very southern part of Isla you an find a small reproduction of a carribean village, housing couple of souvenire shops and restaurants. The most interesting part is the lighthouse. You can climb to the top and from there you'll have great view on surroundings.
The coast down here is also different. The rest of the island is low, but here you can see cliffs.

Isla Contoy

by pacia

Isla Contoy is a National Park about an hour via boat from Isla Mujeres. This is a bird sanctuary, an uninhabited island, and is breathtaking. Only 200 people are allowed on the island/day.

Our trip started around 9am, included juice and fruit on the way, and snorkeling along the reef.

About 1/2 way we stopped for about 30 min and snorkelled in the protected waters of Ixlache Reef. This was my first time snorkeling, so I'm not sure about the fish I saw, but I do know I saw lots of coral and Parrot Fish. On our final stretch, our guide cracked open the beer and fished for what would be our lunch in a couple of hours.

Soon we were there, and we cut off the motor and glided along the coast. We docked and walked onto a beautiful white-sanded beach surrounded by crystal-clear water and palm trees.

There is a small visitor center/museum that gives you an overview of the wildlife that call this place home - Pelicans, and most notably, Frigates (these are gorgeous birds!), among many others. We walked around a lagoon, and up a path over the to the East coast, which faces the open sea.

We went back for a swim in the bay. Then, the most amazing, memorable moment of the trip happened. A stingray glided toward us. I knelt down and put my hand in the water...he touched my hand with the top of his 'wing' (very rough texture), then swooped back around and this time I 'pet' his underbelly (smooth as silk). We were in awe and sat down in the shallow water and just watched him glide back and forth until he swam back into the sea.

Our lunch was amazing, cooked in Tik-in-chik style (BBQ fish with Mayan spices)!

We gathered our things and headed back to the boat around 2. The trip here was just fine, but on the way back we had to deal with some pretty huge waves - kinda scary, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Comments