Ixchel Beach Hotel

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Ixchel Beach Hotel

Wonderful! We will be back to Ixchel Beach Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member k63traveler

My family and I just came back from Isla Mujeres, we stayed at this beautiful place, we all love it, our kids had a wonderful time on the beach and in the swimming pool.
I am actually surprised to read the past review about their problems and the ‘zero amenities’.
We stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel and we found very nice amenities like beach towels, swimming pool, snack bar, 24 hour security and receptionist, hair dryer, fully equipped kitchen, Air conditioning, maid service, free wireless internet, DVD player, safe deposit box, cable TV, ocean front.
We actually love the fact that the hotel is an Ocean Front property, with kids really that makes our vacations much easier.
We did not have to pay any money to get the umbrella or
sun beds.
I would like to mention that our penthouse was very nicely decorated the terrace was wonderful, we love the amenities that the penthouse had, like a grill, Jacuzzi, sun bed, full bathroom.
All the staff at Ixchel were very helpful with us, especially Giovanni the receptionist, Pablo at the snack bar
We are planning to come back in the summer, I would be happy to recommend this place to anybody.

Charming Hotel (WIth Just One Complaint)

by TripAdvisor Member ugleah

We stayed at the Ixchel Beach Hotel for four days earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

Our reservation was rather last minute, and to be honest I was somewhat leery after reading a few other reviews that warned about noise from the nearby nightclub.

But it was great! No noisy nightclub, and the hotel is an easy walk from the ferries and it's situated right on the beach on the happening north side of the island. It's a great size -- just small enough to feel intimate, but large enough to have great amenities like a bar, a pool, a choice spot on the white sandy beach, tastefully decorated rooms and bathrooms, a clean, modern looking lobby, etc.

The only possible caveat that I would make is to ask for a room that doesn't adjoin another one, if possible. We had a room that had a door connecting it to the room next door, which happened to be occupied by a family with young children. The door remained locked the whole time, but sound from the kids passed through the door and echoed off the stone floor, which made it a little noisy at times. Luckily, the kids went to sleep early.

Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this hotel. If you go, maybe just ask if you can get a room that doesn't share a door with another one.

Ixchel penthouse suite was pure heaven

by TripAdvisor Member CancunGringa

I live in Cancun and spent a few days on Isla Mujeres last Easter with friends from back home in the U.S. So this review is a few months old but I had been meaning to write a review on the hotel to share with other travelers considering the Ixchel Beach Hotel.

We stayed in a two-bedroom penthouse suite. Our suite was #504. As I understand it the suites are individually owned so they may differ somewhat in how they are furnished.

The suite was beautifully decorated and had two bedrooms, two baths, a full kitchen and living room. There was a large balcony off of the living room with a spiral staircase that went to a gorgeous private rooftop terrace that was as large as the main floor of the condo.

The rooftop terrace had amazing ocean views, a jacuzzi overlooking the ocean, a living room area with outdoor fireplace, an outdoor kitchen/barbeque area, an area for lounging in the sun, a dining area, and a full bathroom with shower. Simply gorgeous. Beacause they are privately owned not all of the terraces of the penthouse suites are furnished the same, but they are all the same size with jacuzzi and bathroom. The terrace of our suite, #504, was pure heaven. It's not directly ocean front. It's on the side of the hotel. But there were still gorgeous ocean and beach views due to the somewhat "saw-tooth" design of the building. And on the other side of the terrace it had views back over the downtown area of Isla Mujeres.

The hotel is on north beach and the beach was gorgeous with several small beach bars/restaurants nearby. There is a nice but small pool on the proprty that was not crowded and had a pool bar/restaurant at one end.

The hotel is low-key, very clean, and all of the staff with whom we had contact were very friendly and professional.

I'd highly recommend this property on Isla Mujeres and definitely plan to stay there again in the future.

Ixhel West Wing

by TripAdvisor Member tropictripper

My husband and I stayed at the Ixchel for the second time in 6 months. In May we stayed in the initial phase of the hotel and dealt with the construction of the new phase, the west wing across the way. We loved our stay in May and on this visit were booked into room 408 in the now completed West wing. The room was fabulous and brand new. I felt like we were the first ones using it. The furnishings were classy and new in Pier One styling right down to the dishes and coffee maker. The towels were glorious, even the ones they give you for the beach. But they were blue and the ones for the "other" part of the hotel were green. We found this out the first day we tried to sit on the beachfront chairs and were told to move by one of the hotel staff because we were staying in the west wing! They kindly explained that since we were in the West wing we needed to get a beach pass from the front desk and present it to the guys on the beach so we could use thier chairs. We were put out to say the least and somewhat upset that this wasnt explained to us upon checkin. We found out also that we were not able to use the pool on the other side either! The west wing has a wonderful pool where there was very few people ever there, which is great but the sun was only hitting a corner of it during the day. When we delved further into the 'separation' thing, it turns out it was a decision made by a majority of the owners on the other side because they had paid for the nice chairs and didnt want regular hotel guest using them. I think the rooms on the west side are much nicer so I wasnt that put out by it all. The bartenders from the east side will attend to both sides (say hi to Pablo for me) and both sides can use the little poolside restaurant. We chose to do our own thing, thank you. Its all a little too much like the sneetches on the beaches!!!! Beyond all that, it is a fabulous place and the maid service was great. They even wash your dishes! Staff was very gracious and accomodating.

Great Rooms at reasonable rate

by TripAdvisor Member Travail

Arriving here for the first time, in November, we were greeted at the airport by the Cancun Shuttle which we had previously booked and paid for. Shame it took the driver over half an hour to bother to turn up! He then expected a tip!

The trip to the jetty in Cancun took about 25 minutes and then a further 20 minutes on the very fast and efficient ferry to Isla Mujeres. It became apparent very early that everyone is looking for a tip for the minimal amount of work. The Cancun Shuttle, the porter who insisted on taking our bag to the boat and the porters at the other end who took our bags all of 50 yards. We learned quickly and on the way back we carried our own cases.

We were met on the far side by Fidel who has a bike with a carrier on the front. He was worth his tip and he took our bags to the hotel while we walked alongside. He took us right through the centre of the restaurants and bars so this was a good introduction to the island.

At the hotel our bags were taken to our room. The room, which cost USD$180 a night, consisted of a fully equipped kitchen, a large well furnished lounge, a large bedroom with the biggest bed ever. I had to use a loud hailer to talk to my wife!! (Well almost)! A very large shower room and toilet completed the ensemble. Coffee was provided daily along with fresh towels and beach towels. Fresh water was available from a water cooler/dispenser. The room was made up daily. There is a safe for valuables in the cupboard in the bedroom. All of this was complemented by a very large balcony with table and chairs. Should you be staying longer than the 4 days we did, then with the fridge and the fully complemented kitchen, it is quite easy to cater for yourself.

The staff were all polite, friendly and helpful. Should you wish you can use the pool snack bar/bar although we found this quite expensive. The hotel, which is really a collection of privately owned apartments, managed by Ixchel Beach does not have a restaurant on site but uses one a short walk away to the left on the beach. The food there was very good and the service excellent. Should you wish there are ample bars and restaurants about a 200 yard walk away on what is the main strip. This is buzzy and lively and well worth a visit at night. The main transportation around the island is by golf buggy which is great fun. There is ample diving and snorkelling and other attractions enough to keep most people satisfied. Whilst the place is lively it lacks the madness of Cancun.

One could not fault this hotel except maybe that they expect full payment prior to your arrival. However, we were on a round the world trip and did not mind as we had the security of knowing it was booked and paid for.

I would thoroughly recommend this accommodation and may well go back at some juncture.

Second visit - even better experience!

by TripAdvisor Member aeroangie

This was our second stay at Ixchel though we are Isla regulars. This certainly is an awesome place to stay, and in my opinion, one of the very best Isla Mujeres currently has to offer as far as comfort, esthetics, and close proximity to town. We looked online for an actual owner and rented a penthouse suite, complete with a rooftop terrace and jacuzzi. It's wonderful to have a jacuzzi in Mexico since bathtubs are rare and we love to relax and unwind this way. Almost every night, we all were star gazing and enjoying our luxurious bubble baths. Ixchel even provided the salts and special soaps. Also, there was a full bathroom and the rooftop terrace which was just great. The panoramic views of the island from Ixchel are wonderful and make the hotel worth every penny!

The maid service with Luis was the best we have ever experienced. There were two couples plus a single friend that slept on the futon in the suite and Luis even made towel sculptures for our friend's futon. He was an incredible person and if could speak better Spanish, I would have tried harder to convince him to come home with us! We tried to communicate "free rent on N.C.'s Outer Banks forever!" (but seriously, we knew he was happy right where he was!) It is rare to find service like that anywhere in the world.

Andrea at concierge and the others at the front desk were friendly and helpful (as always) and they are always willing togo the extra mile for you - help you find places on the island or arrange things for you. We went to a quite isolated Cuban restaurant there on this trip which we would have never found without their assistance. It was a definite highlight. We also visited another island (Isla Holbox) by boat and they helped us since they knew our single friend would be there alone for a couple of days and they kind of "looked out for her." That's really why I keep returning to Isla as much as anything else! The people there treat you like family. In fact, the family across the street from Ixchel was having a birthday celebration and brought us over two plates while we were sitting in our golf cart waiting for our husbands to come down....RIBS! Best I had on all the island too! Another day, he gave us some fish cerviche and we engaged in a little street dancing and played with his children.

OK - now - for the few "less than favorable" things: Our check-in was not smooth. Since we had paid in full through a travel agency, I don't know where the confusion could have been. Seems reservations always get "lost" in Mexico and there is going to be some awkwardness during check-in almost anywhere. Of course, that is precisely why I like to book these places through an American travel agent. You have a paper trail and further proof is only a phone call away!

Next, because of erosion, North Beach isn't like it used to be, though in front of Ixchel it is certainly better than many others. This isn't something they can help but it is sad to see one's favorite beaches shrinking. I am sure over time it will recover but for now, the beach is half the size it was prior to hurricane Wilma. I think the prices at the pool bar there are kind of high relative to the bartender's experience and selection, but since we like to BYOB and no one cares, that levels this issue out for us. If you are the tourist that likes to lounge and be waited on at an all-inclusive resort, this may not be the place for you. We can't stay still long enough for anything like that but it could be something to consider if you aren't the adventurous type.

A flatscreen or entertainment center in the living room would have been nice, but more for music and mood than for actual watching. The T.V.'s in the bedroom's were nice and I think come standard in all of the bedrooms though the units are individually owned and decorated. We were in 507/508.

Finally, same weirdness during check-out (again, someone trying to say they hadn't collected) and again, we had to show them they were in error. Though they were friendly, it is annoying if not a bit unprofessional. If we were not experienced travelers, it could actually cause some significant stress.

All in all, we had a great vacation there and we will probably book there again. If you like the sun, definitely book in Ixchel phase one. We noticed in phase two, the sun didn't shine on their decks until the late afternoon. Either way, you will have a great stay at Ixchel!!!

Honeymoon in Isla

by TripAdvisor Member April9632

My new husband and I returned 2 weeks ago from staying at the Ixchel in Isla Mujeres for our one week honeymoon after getting married in Cozumel with 40 family and friends a few days previously. Firstly, we left Cozumel late in the evening and took ferry to Playa Del Carmen, then took a cab to Puerto Juarez Cancun to take the ferry over to Isla. There are two ferrys that go over to isla from Cancun (20min ride) quite frequently. The last ferry leaves at 11:30pm and we joked that we should be able to make the last ferry, but we didn't, and ended up having to stay in cancun for the night! A bit of a bummer since we had already booked and paid for a penthouse suite at the ixchel (booked on islabeckons.com). Oh well, we were honeymooning so we weren't going to worry about it too much. When we arrived the next am at the Ixchel the front desk did not have our reservation until the next week. I borrowed their computer to print off our reservation to show what we had booked. The front desk worker, Giovanni was so helpful he immediately got the manager to see what they could do for us. They were more than apologetic about the mix-up, but unfortunately there were no penthouses available. They put us in room 210, ocean view, beautiful, but not the penthouse. I was a little disappointed, but yet still happy with their concern for making it right. Minutes after being in our room we received a call from Giovanni at the front desk to see how everything was in our room. We unpacked a bit and then went to check out the beach for awhile. When we came back to our room, the place was even more spotless and the housekeeper had made a very pretty towel/flower arrangement for us. These gestures were enough to convince us that we picked the perfect place to spend our honeymoon.

The Ixchel beach front condos I think are mostly privately owned condos on the north end of isla. A 10 min walk from ferry terminal, 2 min cab ride. The beach out front has been partially torn away from hurricanes, and has sand bags holding parts of it from disintegrating even further, but it's still is very nice. The water is warm and very swimmable, the waves are gentle and the water clear. Towels and chairs are available free of charge for guests. Our goal was relaxation for this second part of our weddingmoon in Mexico and isla and the ixchel delivered.

Day number 2 we ran the whole island just to try to work off some of the Sol and nachos that we had been consuming. We quickly discovered that the tourist area is not that large and the small island had a lot of poverty, or what we would consider poverty. I think part of the charm of isla is that it is so rugged and natural, you feel like you are really somewhere different, somewhere foreign. Even the "tourist area" is all plastic chairs and chipped cement. We would stop and say hi to locals and try to talk to kids playing in the streets with their dogs, and kicking soccer balls. Our spanish is non-existent and we were so impressed that people who lived out of the town "core" were able to speak English so well. When we got back from our adventure Giovanni and the manager had got us our penthouse. And the best part is that the PH they got us was in building #2 (Ixchel has 2 buildings) which is one floor higher and was the most oceanfront facing unit!!! Score.

Day 3...life in the PH is good. The next 3 days went about the same. Run around a bit, go to the beach, lunch (yum coconut yogurt from the Super Xpress grocery store! a few blocks away), beach, swim, snorkle, get ready to go out, eat a fabulous meal, get fat and happy, walk around looking at the shops, watch some basketball or the fountain show, back to the PH, dip in the jacuzzi. Just a word to us who like our tubs hot, there is a reason why they call them jacuzzi's and not hot tubs, they never really get that hot. We gave up calling for maintenance to come and fix the tub. The hottest temperature we ever got was about 36-37 C. (The service was very prompt to fix our tub, thanks Jose and "Mick"). When we had asked the front desk about the temperature he replied that he could get the maintenance guy to get some hot water from the hot water heater. That sounded like a lot of work for him, I guess they just don't get that hot, so that is just fine.

At Ixchel building #2 our front desk man was "Mick" as he was nicknamed by a few (his name was hard to pronounce) and he was just as fabulous as Giovanni had been. Each day and night he would greet us and ask what we had done for the day, where we ate, what we thought etc. He was very friendly and also very interested in learning about where we came from in Canada. We never got to say thank you and goodbye to Giovanni or Mick so I guess we will just have to go back.

If you have decided to go to Isla you must stay at the Ixchel. The location is fabulous, the condos are fully equiped and beautiful (and the beds are actually quite comfortable), the service is phenomenal!! You must stay here, you won't regret it. If you do I will give you $50 (jk)

If you are undecided if you should go to Isla... you should go if you want a laid back vacation without too much excitement, but jam packed full of fabulous food and Sol, and mexican charm choose here. The food is the best I have ever had anywhere (wins over cayman islands, which was my top culinary choice previously).

I hope this review helps, please feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Avoid this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wwwwNy

I am reluctant to say this about a business but I wish my wife never heard about it. We booked a top of the line oceanfront suite. When you arrive at the property you notice how all the sidewalks around it are broken with puddles of water.

There are zero amenities. You cannot obtain any food there of any type.

What is worse it the ownership of the beach behind the property. The hotel doesn't own it. You are restricted to an extremely small area that the owner of the property can shut down to do work on whenever he wants. This happened to us once in the 4 days there. So we had to pay some other guys $20 a person to sit on the beach without an umbrella. Our last night there was the worste of my life. Between the property and the beach is a privately owned pelazza or something like that. It is a hut that people can assemble in. Beginning at 8 PM we heard extremely loud music despite all windows being closed. We complained at about 10 PM and the management said they didn't own it, it wasn't their problem and there was nothing they could do. The party continued with the loudest music we've ever heard. I went down myslef at 3 AM the the man there said tough luck, they were going to 4 AM nobody what. He refused to lower it. I got no further sympathy from the hotel.

The hotel people the next day said this only happens about once a week and they don't know when in advance.

You would have to be out of your mind to stay here.

Wouldn't Stay There Again!

by TripAdvisor Member eowynskye

Arrived on Christmas Eve to find they had lost our reservation even though I had a confirmation nbr and had paid the deposit. We had to pay upfront again and I'm still waiting to get my deposit back. We were put in the penthouse suite we had originally requested but in building 2 unit 703 which is probably the worst there. The very minimum furnishing are provided. When staying in building 2 you are required to use that buildings pool and beach. The pool is covered by shade all day and never gets any sun. Plus the pool bar is never open. The pool in building 1 has direct sunlight throughout the day and a fully functioning bar service. Ixchel knows if you stray to the other side by having each building with a different color beach towel. I found the staff extremely unhelpful including Andrea Urriza what stands for their conciege. Once while waiting to check the status of my refund I was made to wait while she made 3 outgoing phone calls and spoke with a fellow staff member. The only good points about the hotel is the location, about 2 blocks from downtown, and the cleanliness of the hotel. Take my advice, for the price stay at Isla Mujeres Palace Resort for the same price and it's all inclusive!

good enough

by TripAdvisor Member reynaldo_snark

recently returned from 5 days in Isla, first time at Ixchel, with two teenagers. No complaints. Was put off a little by the segregation of the lounge chairs on the beach , but easy to get over. Isla is becoming so developed. The funky little island we fell in love with is no longer there. Even the colonias are becoming built up with what look like rentals, and the east coast has lots of homes on it that weren't there a few years ago. I guess I prefer the off season, May and June, but this hotel was very clean and comfortable. The view from the balcony was great. We were in phase two and others noted that these balconies get very little sun. Staff (the concierge is located in phase 1) was very helpful. Great proximity to Hidalgo street. It's basically ON Hidalgo street at the northernmost end.

Comments