Secreto

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Secreto

Hotel Playa La Media Luna

by theflyingscot about Hotel Playa La Media Luna

Be careful here with the small print - 10% charge if you want to pay by credit card... which they do not point out at check in... a frustrating way to end your stay.
Although they quote rates in USD, they charge in Peso at an exchange rate in their favour...

Beach is OK, but too rocky & red flags in winter, however is more exclusive than Playa del Norte.

Overall not worth the high price, next time will try to get into the Hotel Secreto which is next door, or get a cheaper place on Playa del Norte itself.

Hurricane damage is fairly well recovered on Isla Mujeres - not as badly damaged as Cancun hotel strip.

Isla Mujeres

by fgfi about La casa de los suenos

Casa de los suenos is definitely the best hotel in isla Mujeres. Much better that Hotel Secreto. It overlooks one of the most beautiful part of the coast of the island. Unfortunately its wonderful location is loosing its primacy as they are building 2 other hotels just next door...
Isla Mujeres is all work in progress..... It's like a bed an breakfast where you really feel at home. There is almost no reception, the bar is at your disposal and you only need to register what you drink, and the mini bar in room is 100% free of charge. Very friendly.

Isla Mujeres + Hotel Secreto = ONE GREAT VACATION!

by TripAdvisor Member mlskeens

My husband and I spent 9 days at Hotel Secreto early last month. It was a belated honeymoon. I did a lot of research on this island and hotel before booking. I actually found this hotel listed on a web site Small Boutique Hotels in Mexico (great site). After I found Hotel Secreto, I started doing some research on the island itself (----). I booked over 4 months in advance. I booked the hotel on my own via email. When checking out, I paid in travelers checks and they discounted my bill 10%!

Every good thing you read about on this hotel is true. On arrival, we were handed mimosas and given some very cold towels to freshen up with that had a very refreshing smell. What a great treat after traveling for 6 hours. The staff at Hotel Secreto are wonderful. We truly appreciated all they did and with such a wonderful demeanor. Ponce at the front desk was able to have some laundry sent out for us, had a golf cart delievered to our hotel and get us a private snorkeling tour. What service!

The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the view from the rooms was spectacular. The continental breakfast in the morning was good enough for us. I think we actually ate breakfast out one morning. When we were at Secreto, it was a more mature crowd. Hardly ever anyone in the pool. The hotel puts lounge chairs & umbrellas out every morning. Occasionally, when we didn't want to go to North Beach, we would lay out at Secreto. What a truly relaxing time! I don't think I ever remembered being that relaxed. And when we wanted some activity, we went into town or to North Beach bars.

When we left, we heard that they are closing the hotel from July 2005 through December 2005. They are extending the length of the 9 rooms and adding 3 more. They are also adding a private restaurant on the top of the hotel and redoing the pool area. I can't imagine it being any nicer than it was.

We are definitely going back!

Never want to leave

by libee about Hotel Secreto

Located near Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres, this small hotel has been written up in several major magazines, and with good reason. A brief taxi ride from the ferry dock will land you at this gem of a hotel. Tucked away behind the caretakers cottage down a short dirt road, the first thing you notice is the mediterranian stucco and glass exterior. A staff member is there to help me unload my baggage and escort me to the front desk. The lobby has soaring ceilings and gentle music floats on the air. A glimpse through the tall glass doors to the left tempts me with views of the pool and cabana, with the ocean just a few steps away. Check in is a snap and I am off to my room. The first thing I notice is the cool simple elegance of my abode. Dressed in white and blue, all the amenities and architectural details are thoughtfully laid out. I draw back the black out drapes and step out onto my balcony. All rooms face the ocean and the pool, and even though the A/C cranks, I turn it off and opt for the constant breeze and sound of waves breaking. I will sleep well tonight. Everything is top of the line. The staff and management are efficient and thoughtful in the extreem. The grounds are small but you will not feel hemmed in at all. Step out of the lobby to the pool area and admire the precise landscaping. There is a pleasing contrast of colors - the green of the plants and grass, the white of the cabana, the deep blue of the freshwater pool, the tan of the sand beyond, and the variety of blues of the ocean beyond that. Step out onto the beach an notice the small crescent bay - Half Moon Bay - but dont jump in. Swimming is dangerous here and on the beach to the left. Good beaching is just a short walk away on North Beach. After looking for shells and taking time to allow sea spray to ease the tensions of my plane trip, I return to the pool area. I claim a lounge chair and plunge into the kidney shaped pool. Tiled in dark blue, first thing I notice is the lack of chlorine smell. I allow the fresh water to siluce over my skin, and laugh at the local grackle who lands on the edge in hope of a refreshing sip of water. Drying off, I make my way to the open air cabana where a staff member whips up a banana daquari. I take a seat on one of the cabanas comfy sofas and sip my drink out of the hot tropical sun. I all ready feel at home. I think I am going to like it here.

Circo Secreto?

We just returned from a visit to the Secreto (Feb. 12-18). Imagine our surprise upon arriving to discover that a circus, the Circo Graco, was set up virtually next door! Previous visitors to Isla Mujeres told us that the old bull fighting arena about 50 yards from the hotel had been torn down just the previous Wednesday and the circus moved in. The only problem with the circus was that during the shows (3 of them on Sunday and two every night the rest of the week) the music was very loud. We only had one night without the thump-thummp-thump hyper-bass. The shows last about 90 minues each, so the last show ended about 10:30 p.m. On the positive side, how many times do you get to walk right through the circus grounds and watch the elephants getting a bath? Really, it was not bad, but if you are sensitive to circus smells and sounds you might want to check before booking during the first two weeks in February. Chances are they'll be back again next year!!

As to the Secreto itself, it was everything and more than we expected. All of the superlatives you've read in other reviews apply, so will not repeat them here. We would've stayed much longer if time and money were no object. Definitely one of the very best hotels in our travel experience!

Lovely Beach Holiday

Hotel Secreto is simply divine. During our holiday in early June, 2005, we managed to stay at three hotels on Isla Mujeres, and Hotel Secreto had by far the best service, the softest beds, and the coolest air conditioning.
The staff at Secreto is very kind and attentive without being pretenious and overbearing. True hospitality. After sleeping on very uncomfortable beds the night before, Secreto's beds were soft with good quality linens that smelled very lovely, and the air conditioning kept the room cool throughout the night. (The entire island lost power during the night due to a tropical storm, but Secreto apparently has a generator, as our power stayed on and we stayed cool :) Our other Isla Mujeres accommodations hardly compared to this gem of a hotel. We will return to Hotel Secreto on our next beach holiday!

A wonderful unforgettable experience

by TripAdvisor Member MWBel

Hotel Secreto is a clean, modern escape from the hustle and bustle of our everyday working lives. The service was excellent. The room was perfect. The bar and pool offered picturesque views of the beach during the day and the moon at night. We loved everything the hotel had to offer. After our snorkelling trip in the warm ocean water, we'd walk into the cool relaxing lobby playing soothing music. It was a hard decision whether to stay in the hotel all day or to enjoy the unbelievable waters and beaches of Isla Mujeres. We went early October 2004; the weather was humid and there were only two instances of rain.

Peaceful Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member Sarahlynnha

My husband and I recently spent the second week in April at the Hotel Secreto for our honeymoon. The hotel is really pretty, very cool and modern looking, and so peaceful. When we arrived, we were taken to our room on the second floor. I'd requested a room on the third floor, but they said those were taken when we arrived. That was a bit disappointing for me, as it was our honeymoon and the view wasn't really that great (I think we were room number 6, closest to the stairway). It would have at least been better if we'd been in one of the other two rooms on that floor, but it was ok. The rooms weren't huge, but they were plenty big for 2 people, and the beds and bathrooms were lovely. Also, the air conditioning was fabulous - especially considering how hot it was outside! The continental breakfast wasn't anything special, but it was fine and we did go out for breakfast twice (the French Bistro had delicious French Toast). We spent some time at the pool (had to get there early, otherwise all the chairs would be taken by rude people who just left their belongings on the chairs and then disappeared for hours). The pool was nice though, but our favorite thing was the beach. Even though you can't really swim at Secreto's beach, it's the perfect place to lie in the sun because there's always a nice breeze and it's virtually empty so you feel as if you have a private beach. For swimming, the best beach on the island - Playa Norte - is about a 2 min walk away and it's absolutely gorgeous! Also, on Playa Norte is our favorite restaurant - Sunset Grill (next to Nautibeach). They have great chicken tacos for lunch and the coconut shrimp at dinner is divine (plus it's really romantic for dinner and the waitstaff is really friendly). All in all, the island and Hotel Secreto were what we wanted for our honeymoon - beautiful beaches and crystal clear water, decent food, and very relaxing. I'd also recommend Dolphin Discovery - lots of fun. I would return to Hotel Secreto in a heartbeat, and I would recommend it for anyone looking for a quite, romantic getaway.

Great Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member penguintraveler

Hotel Secreto is a beautiful, modern, small resort offering a surprising amount of tranquility in the middle of a bustling tourist island. The room was very clean and had a great four post bed, a CD player and a little balcony with an ocean view. Added plus: great buffet breakfasts with take away trays so you can eat at the pool or on your balcony. The staff was polite and helpful and the owner was full of restaurant and activity recommendations. The pool was beautiful (but a little cold) with a great bar. A few minor downsides: the beach in front was very rocky and rough when we were there, but the hotel is just a two minute walk to another beach with better swimming and sunset views. The hotel does not have a restaurant but again, its a few minute walk to some great ones. We would absolutely return again!

Perfet Place to Decompress

by TripAdvisor Member waterlogged_00

Let me first preface this by saying I travel on a weekly basis for work. I have stayed at virtually every hotel chain in the Northeast US...the good, the bad, and the ugly. I spent hours on this site looking at reviews of hotels before spending my hard earned money to find our "PERFECT" honeymoon spot.

My wife and I just returned from our 9 day Honeymoon in Mexico. First stop was Hotel Secreto on Isla Mujeres. This is the perfect place after all of the wedding stresses to just unwind and relax. We arrived on Monday Feb 27th and stayed 2 nights. We had tried to stay for a week but due to a recent review in Playboy Magazine the rooms filled up quick. After a long day of travelling from the Northeast, having delayed flights, riding in cabs from the Cancun Airport to Puerto Juarez (to catch the ferry) and then waiting for another cab to take us to the hotel. The hotel itself is VERY close to the downtown area....and set back on a dirt driveway. You would never even know the hotel was there and at first we were wondering what we got ourselfs into. What an amazing breathe of fresh air after walking into Hotel Secred. We were amazed first at the clean smell and were immediately handed mimosas. Our bags were wisked away to our room and the check in process began. Took all of 2 minutes. The rooms are very clean and very white (we are neat freaks so it made us very comfortable). The same refreshing smell from the lobby was also in our room. All of the rooms face the ocean and the views are amazing.
The hotel look exactly as it did in the pictures on the website.
The first night we walked into the downtown area to grab a bite to eat. Despite being on a dirt driveway and set back it is VERY safe and safe to walk around the town. Never once did we worry. The town itself is very quiant and the most "authentic" mexican we found during our stay. Do your shopping in town here and avoid Cancun or Playa.

The breakfast the following morning was very nice. They provide trays to bring back to your room. We did this and just ate on our balcony. The beach is not the best to swim in front of the hotel, but if you walk to the left or right 50 yards you will find great swinning/snorkeling places. Lets face it you come here to relax and get away from it all. I think we saw all of 3 other people on the beach during our stay.

The pool was very clean and very refreshing. The pool bar is beautiful and the service was wonderful. My only wish was that they had even a small kitchen to provide snack foods or even a nightly dish. The bar at the pool was empty so I think there is plenty of room there.

Day number two was spent shopping. We also rented a golf cart and drove to the other end of the island where Garafon is located (sorry if I mispelled it). I also wish we would have spent a day there snorkeling and swimming. It looked really nice and from what we have found out after we left was that its one of the best snorkeling that Mexico has to offer.

We then drove back to the Hotel, stopping at North Beach for a drink at the swing bar ( a bar that has swings instead of chairs). This is a much more populated area and we met several people from the states here.

All in all we only were able to spend two days at Hotel Secreto since that was all they had available and that was MONTHS in advance. Do not wait to book your stay here. While they dont serve food, in the end its so cheap to eat in town, you dont really need it. Its a perfect setting to get away from it all yet close enough to walk to town to get nightlife. Scott has done a great job with the hotel and seemed to be VERY involved in the day to day operation. It certainly shows.

upscale accommodations in Isla Mujeres

by lsnhc

We have traveled to Playa on a number of occasions, mostly staying at Royal Hideaway and, last yearm at Secrets Capri (RH was closed). We will be returning to Secrets in Feb but would like to split the trip to 4 or 5 days there and perhaps 3 or 4 days in Isla Mujeres at one of the more upscale properties
Any suggestions?

RE: upscale accommodations in Isla Mujeres

by cegleston

Try the "Villa Rolandi Gourmet and Beach Club" or "Hotel Secreto"

RE: RE: upscale accommodations in Isla Mujeres

by Pat&ZoAnn

You could also try Casa de los SueƱos.

Comments