Puerto Juarez, km.309, Playa Paraiso, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Luxury with a View !

by TripAdvisor Member flowergirlNorman_OK

The Iberostar Grand Paraiso Hotel certainly lived up to its name, "Grand." At the first moment of arrival, we were greeted by a friendly staff with refreshing beverages. We were then escorted to our lovely room via an interior courtyard and into an entry hall that was impressively magnificient. Our butler discribed the services of the hotel with knowledge and ease. The grounds were immaculately groomed with an abundance of flowering plants which were a feast for the eyes ! The pools were inviting and dramatic where swim - up bars, cabanas, water fountains, and hot tubs abounded. The sandy ocean beach offered palapas for a retreat from the sun. Restaurants were beautifully decorated and complimented the spectacular view of the ocean. The meal presentation at the Gourmet Restaurant was especially elegant and delicious. Our stay at the Grand Paraiso Hotel was unforgetably memorable. If one if looking for elegance, and relaxation, in an adult atmosphere, at an all-inclusive resort with a superior wait staff, this hotel will meet all your expectations and more. My family has already recommended this resort to several of our friends for their next holiday which some have immediately booked based upon our own recent experience.

An Anniversary to Remember

by TripAdvisor Member lumkim

We have just returned from our stay at the Iberostar Grand from June 23-27. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and wanted a place where we could be pampered, dine on delicious food and relax.

This resort more than fit the bill. While not perfect, it was pretty wonderful. I don't want to be repeat what has already been said so I will try to just list our pros and cons.

Pros:

Rooms:
We were upgraded from a oceanfront to a corner room (the same except the balcony is more panoramic, larger and has a jacuzzi tub instead of the swing). This was a major pro. The room was very well appointed. A good amount of closet space, tables, and seating. Nice hair dryers, robes/slippers, and plush towels.

Food:

Ala carte restaurants were wonderful. Drinks were top shelf. Service was very good. Food was delicious. I particularly enjoyed all of the desserts.

Entertainment:

Lots to do...or nothing at all. We swam/ floated, played pool, enjoyed a show and enjoyed the lobby bar. We also shopped in the commercial center available to all the guests at the Playa Paraiso complex. (Although only the Grand guests get private escorts in golf carts).

Overall Service:

I thought everyone was very friendly and eager to please. The butlers prepared romantic touches from lighted candles and champagne to bubble baths with flower petals (all without any requests).

Cons:

Rooms:
I honestly believe we were the first to use the room. The inside tub still had grout (a lot) stuck to the bottom. The jets in the outdoor tub caused a brown ring to form around the perimeter (a result of never being used). Housekeeping did clean it after being used.

Food:

The buffets were lacking. Made to order items were good, but the buffets themselves needed better selections.

Minibar in the room:

We could not get corona or some top-self liquor (Grey Goose or Havanna Rum.) They were available at all of the bars.

Room service could use more snack items.

Overall impressions:

Fabulous. The minor cons are noted purely for informational purposes and did not effect our stay in the slightest.

We loved this Resort and would love to return if the price does not jump too high.

Utterly Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member BostonTia

The Grand will knock your socks off. The resort is everything the reviews are saying it is. The Iberostar chain really has topped itself. I can't imagine anything better. I would love to meet the designers and architects who planned this resort.

The design inside the resort is very modern. You can't wait to see what is around the next corner. There are many bathrooms throughout the resort. I took pictures of at least two. Does that tell you something? No, I am not loco. That is how good this place is, even the bathrooms are amazing.

We had an ocean front room. The room was nicely appointed with a very comfortable bed, which is hard to find in Mexico, with complimenting soft linens. The room was fully stocked with beverages, snacks, robes, and slippers. Anything you needed, you just ask your butler and they will retrieve it for you.

Breakfast and lunch were buffet style, but you also had an option of ordering from a limited menu. To be honest, my husband and I were not crazy about either breakfast or lunch. I think there are some kinks that the hotel has to work out in this area. I think they are trying so hard to be formal and elegant, that the food is being over looked. Some of the items at the buffet that should be served hot, are cold. The hot American breakfast and lunch needs work. I did not starve by any means. I am just saying, IMO, it needs some improvements. I suppose it is hard to cater to both American and Europeans at the same time.

All of the dinners are at the a la carte restaurants. Our favorites were the Surf & Turf and the Japanese. The dining rooms are unique and interesting with amazing views. I can't think of a restaurant in the Boston area that comes close to any of these restaurants in views and design, however, the food is better in Boston. That isn't to say that the food was bad. Overall, our evening experience with the food was very good. My husband really enjoyed the double cut filet at the Surf & Turf restaurant (Toni's).

The hotel is so grand and beyond your expectations, that you seem not to mind that the beach has several rocky areas in front of it. There is limited entrance into the water to swim. We found those areas and had them all to ourselves. I love the ocean and enjoyed the natural beauty of the scenery.

There is a theatre here that you should go to at least once to see the shows. We saw a Big Band show that had a 7 piece band. There were many talented singers and dancers who put on very good shows for our enjoyment. I would give them a good grade here. They work so hard and it shows. I wondered how this resort operates so efficiently, like a well oiled machine with so much going on throughout the resort.

If you can manage to go here, I would recommend trying this resort. I felt like a movie star the whole time I was here. I really got the Royal treament. Thanks Iberostar and all who made the holiday a pleasurable one.

If you go, make sure you check out the Italian restaurant from the outside. You will see a pond that flows over a wall down into another pond. Down below there are two Gondola's and two black swans in the pond. This is just one of the many examples of the interesting designs laid out around the resort.

I don't want to tell you too much, it would wreck your fun.

Enjoy!

A great experience

by TripAdvisor Member ShumbaAustin_Texas

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for our 6th anniversary from June 10th – 14th and had a really wonderful time. When searching for a hotel some of the main items that we look for are; availability of the restaurants / ease of reservations, number of cabanas/chairs on the beach or places to sit at the pool without getting up early in the morning to play the towel game, and oceanfront rooms.

Upon arrival we were met with chilled hand towels, put into a golf cart and whisked off to the building where our room was located. Our building butler welcomed us and immediately took us to our room. I had requested a top floor room and received it. We did the checking process in our room with no problem. Our balcony was very private, you could sit on it without seeing into the balconies of the adjoining rooms. Our butler asked if we wanted a particular anything special in our bar area, I requested Vodka and cranberry juice to make Cape Cods – he promptly returned with a brand new entire bottle of Vodka and a carafe of cranberry.

We tried room service one night for dinner, our food was delivered within 15 minutes and very tasty. Breakfast and lunch was either a buffet or you could order from the menu. The food was excellent with a wide range of many different types of foods. The portions are a perfect size so you can try various items. At the restaurants we never had a problem getting the times that we wanted. Service at all our meals was over and above excellent. The two restaurants we enjoyed the most were the Surf / Turf and the oriental.

The pools are lovely, they have 2 outside pools and one indoor pool. We used the gym on several occasions and the equipment is top notch. There is also a juice bar outside the gym where you can request fresh squeezed juices. All of the drinks were made with top shelf liquors.

Staying at this hotel gives you access to all of the facilities at the other four Iberostar hotels next door, but their guests don’t have access to the Grand. This includes the beach area – so it didn’t matter what time of day we got to the beach or the pool we never had any problem getting an excellent spot. The only negative that I could see people having with this hotel is that it’s more formal than most hotels in the area and if you’re looking for a more casual environment to eat lunch in your swimsuit this is not it. We will definitely be going back.

Upgraded from the Lindo, a comparision between the Hotels

by TripAdvisor Member cookbj

Just to give a brief overview, i love the Iberostar Brand and have been to the Del Mar (once) the Lindo (3 times) Ibersotar Dorada in Dom Rep and now the Grand in Mexico. I can only repeat what has been said in a previous review which sums the grand up nicely..WOW WOW WOW!!

I will begin this review from when we arrived as it may add some context, Myself and my Partner had originally booked for 2 weeks at the Lindo, we had been there before and liked it so much we were going back for the 3rd time. The first 6 days were as usual excellent, beautiful resort, great food drink service etc... but we had been over to investigate the Grand a couple of times, (couldn't get into the hotel as secuity was everywhere and would not let you in, but we walked down the side of it and looked at it from the beach, looked fantastic) so on the 6th day i decided to go on the tour of the Grand, which you can book through your concierge, The tour is given by one of the Butlers at the Grand and almost immediately on entering the lobby i knew i had to stay there. (to be honest it was when i went into the lobby bar and saw they had a beer menu with 24 different beers on it!!!)

We went throught the hotel, saw the amazing Theatre (what a sound system) and one of the truely fantastic rooms, went round the pools the Health club and the restaurants. By the end of the tour we had mentally packed our bags to move across it didn't matter what the cost was we had to be their for the rest of our holiday. As soon as the tour finished we aksed how much an upgrade would be, we were told $200 dollers a night so that was it, went to the reception sorted out the details, raced back to the lindo and backed our suitcases in about 2 minutes!! and were whisked off back to the Grand, within the hour we were in our new Fantastic Ocean view Suite and couldn't be happier it was like starting a brand new Holiday.

Now for the Comparison, i have always said that the Lindo was a fantastic All Inclusive resort and would not have a bad word said about it, i used to get really angry when i read a negative review on Tripadviser. However after coming to the Grand you realise what a huge gulf there is between the Grand and the Lindo. Just to be clear the Grand is not just an Upgrade it is on a whole new playing field , the difference in Service, food, Rooms are immense. You are treated like Kings the whole trip, every requested you may have is granted and their is practically nothing you cannot get, amazing.

In summary this was by far the best holiday i have ever had, it has raised the bar significantly in what to expect from a top end 5 star resort, i have not gone into too much detail as most things have already been said in other reviews, however if you have any specific questions i would be happy to answer them via the forum.

Amazing Service!!!

by TripAdvisor Member cancunkitty

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for the last two weeks of May for our anniversary trip. This was our first trip to this area. I have to say that this one of the most beautiful properties I have ever visited! Every aspect from the lobby to the main walkway to the rooms is of the highest quality. Everywhere you look is so stunning. You must get an oceanfront room, the view is awesome!! The pool areas are by far my favorite of any resort I have ever stayed at. I am not going to go into great detail about the food because I would just be repeating what all the other reviews say. But I will say just order the seafood selection appetizer at Tony's!! It is unbeliveable and a meal in itself! Also, we learned that you did not have to stick to just the menu, they would bring you anything you asked for.
On to my main reason for writing this review: THE SERVICE IS BY FAR THE REASON TO VISIT THIS RESORT!!! I have never received service on this level before in my life, whether it be at another resort or fine dining experince. You never had to ask for anything, all of your needs were anticipated. If you did ask for anything, it was immediately brought to you. This applied at the pools, your room, and the restaurants. Basically anywhere within the resort! I cannot say I ever had a problem with having my needs met. This aspect truely makes this a five star property. Lastly, I have to mention the Star Friends activity group. They have so many activities for you to join! Everyday I would do water aerobics, play water basketball, beach volleyball, and my husband's favorite-Karaoke in the evenings. They work so hard to make sure everyone has a fun time. I want to say thanks to Eduardo, Alex, Carol, Shelia, Yuri and Marcello for making our stay so memorable and fun!! Also, it would not have been the same without Rigo at the Lobby Bar for a before dinner drink. He is the best bartender ever!
*One last thing- A special hello to Eddie and Rosie in New Jersey who have eagerly been waiting for this review. Thanks for introducing us to Don Julio!!! We had a great time with you guys.

Grand it is !!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Pedro917

We're from Belgium and booked this trip to the Grand through a Tour Operator in January. We saw only pictures of a computer model when we decided to go for it. It's our 9th trip to this area (yes, we love Mexico) and last year, we stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya in Playacar which we thought was the best. But that changed now, you can't even begin to compare the two.
Our stay in the Grand was from May 26th till June 7th and we really enjoyed every minute of it. I'm afraid it doesn't get better than this. From the building architecture to the finishing touches like fine artwork, the shiny marble everywhere, the mosaics, the Gauguin repro paintings in the hallways, the lighting etc etc etc, simply breathtaking. Even a guided tour of the sanitary rooms would convince people to stay here.
And then there was the food..... simply delicious everywhere. We visited all restaurants at least twice and the quality of the food was just perfect as was the service. In Le Gourmet and Italian restaurant, there was live music too (flute player and guitar & clarinet).
The only regret we had was that we wished to have seen more guests as the hotel is so big that it sometimes seemed deserted so people don't hesitate to book, you won't regret it.
I'd prepared some 100 pictures (from 900) to post but can only send 10......

Pampering like no where else

by TripAdvisor Member pkovacs04

Just returned from 5 days/4 nights and could have stayed three times as long! My husband took me for my 40th birthday. The staff was great. Most couples were our age but about 25% where in their 20's. Luxourius accomodations, pillow menu, room service and staff that went above and beyond! All were there with a happy "hola" each time they passed. The butlers were fanastic and very helpful. Looked after every request and whim to make a magical visit. Food was beautifully presented except that we do not always wish to be sooo formal for dinner. So 2 nights, we ordered room service and one night went to the Maya (next door) for the buffet. You can use the resources of ALL the resorts but they cannot come to ours. Everyone all overe asked questions about our "exclusive" resort. You are the envy of all. Would return tomorrow if I had someone to stay home with the kids.

Kelly and Stacey's wedding

by richjohns

A wedding party of almost thirty left a wet and windy UK for the warmth of Mexico's Playcar. We all stayed at the excellent Iberostar Quetzal which is ideally situated at the end of PlayaCar beach.

The wedding ceromony itself was in the "jungle" part of the hotel. The wedding was well organised through out by the hotel staff.

mizzbee's new Mexico Page

by mizzbee

I enjoyed 10 fabulous days in Playa del Carmen! I normally like to search for the offbeat local hangouts, hidden treasures, etc., but this time I went down to have a quiet wedding/honeymoon with my partner of 8 years and our 5 year old son. We stayed at Iberostar Quetzel and relaxed like never before. Nine days of pool lounging, water aerobics, ceramics and nightly shows. We only left the resort to venture to Xcaret, the "enhanced" nature park, where we floated through the underground caves. Iberostar is wonderful and we will definitely go again.

Trip To Playa Del Carmen

by kris727

We just returned from Playa del carmen yesterday from June 7-12th. We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan. So let me know if you have any questions that I can answer and I will do my best.

RE: Trip To Playa Del Carmen

by JuneBride07

I am getting married this year in June. I know you went last June, I was just wondering about the weather. Any tips you can give me are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments