Playa Del Carmen, from hut to deluxe.
"Just your average scheduled nervous breakdown"
I was working very hard, my boyfriend just dumped me, and I started a new high-powered job and was about to settle a huge law suite all at the same time. I was un-nerved, and about ready to flip out. So I scheduled a nervous breakdown in Playa Del Carmen. That was in April of 2002. It was also the very first time I had traveled anywhere by myself.
"As much as I can drink in a week for FREE!"
Because I was a bit chicken at the time (now I prefer it!), I purchased a full on, all-inclusive vacation. It included round trip air from San Francisco, round trip transfers (You have to fly into Cancun International, and take a private transfer to Playa, about 45 minutes away), AND!!!!!!! 7 nights at the Reef Club Playa Del Carmen (in Playacar, 5 min from Playa going towards Tulum), a all-inclusive 5 star resort where all your food, drinks and beach activities are included in one price! I paid about $800 for everything.
My day consisted of the following:
1. Get up by 11:00am take shower.
2. Apply SPF 30
3. Eat nice healthy breakfast with Bloody Mary.
4. Go to the pool and take a catnap in the sun.
5. Drink all day at the swim up bar, making several runs to my room to pee.
6. Take late day nap in my room with air conditioner on full blast.
7. wake up go fetch dinner and bring it back to my balcony and eat watching the sun go down.
8. Around 8:00pm take cab to the little town of Playa and woop it up with the locals I had met.
9. Or sit on the beach by myself and reflect on how lame boyfriend/job/settlement is and how uncool they all were compared to how ***ing cool I am sitting in Mexico!
10. Fall asleep around 2pm happy as hell.
"Damn drinking is expensive!"
A year later to the day almost, I was getting to the point of self-destruction, so I booked another trip to Playa. This time, I had been traveling around the world so I wasn’t chicken any longer to travel by myself. So I came across this cool place where you can get a Palapa on the beach for $55 a night: The Hotel Corto Maltes!
Well about a week before I left, Palie called me and informed me she was coming too.
“Ok….” I told her, “But this place is rustic. I mean, it’s a hut or something.”
She SAID she didn’t care, but let me tell you, when we checked in, it was totally the OPPISIT of an all-inclusive 5 star hotel. Put it to you this way, there was broom in the room to sweep out the sand. And a full eco system, complete with Geckos and bugs that that Geckos eat.
I saw her unpack bubble bath stuff, and spa accessories. HA! When you took a shower, the water hits the toilet at the same time. No windows or hot water. But the owner Ron, was the BEST! Ex-pat. Can’t say anymore, except pay in cash at the time you order a drink, or your bill may reflect some blackout drinks you may or may not have ordered.
All in all, it was a blast. We bought a bottle of tequila and spiked our drinks to keep the cost down. But I have to say, I spent about the same amount as I did with the all-inclusive.