Corto Maltes Condominium Hotel

Calle 10, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico

More about Corto Maltes Condominium Hotel

Playa Del Carmen, from hut to deluxe.

by LolaSanFrancisco

"Just your average scheduled nervous breakdown"

I was working very hard, my boyfriend just dumped me, and I started a new high-powered job and was about to settle a huge law suite all at the same time. I was un-nerved, and about ready to flip out. So I scheduled a nervous breakdown in Playa Del Carmen. That was in April of 2002. It was also the very first time I had traveled anywhere by myself.

"As much as I can drink in a week for FREE!"

Because I was a bit chicken at the time (now I prefer it!), I purchased a full on, all-inclusive vacation. It included round trip air from San Francisco, round trip transfers (You have to fly into Cancun International, and take a private transfer to Playa, about 45 minutes away), AND!!!!!!! 7 nights at the Reef Club Playa Del Carmen (in Playacar, 5 min from Playa going towards Tulum), a all-inclusive 5 star resort where all your food, drinks and beach activities are included in one price! I paid about $800 for everything.

My day consisted of the following:
1. Get up by 11:00am take shower.
2. Apply SPF 30
3. Eat nice healthy breakfast with Bloody Mary.
4. Go to the pool and take a catnap in the sun.
5. Drink all day at the swim up bar, making several runs to my room to pee.
6. Take late day nap in my room with air conditioner on full blast.
7. wake up go fetch dinner and bring it back to my balcony and eat watching the sun go down.
8. Around 8:00pm take cab to the little town of Playa and woop it up with the locals I had met.
9. Or sit on the beach by myself and reflect on how lame boyfriend/job/settlement is and how uncool they all were compared to how ***ing cool I am sitting in Mexico!
10. Fall asleep around 2pm happy as hell.

"Damn drinking is expensive!"

A year later to the day almost, I was getting to the point of self-destruction, so I booked another trip to Playa. This time, I had been traveling around the world so I wasn’t chicken any longer to travel by myself. So I came across this cool place where you can get a Palapa on the beach for $55 a night: The Hotel Corto Maltes!

Well about a week before I left, Palie called me and informed me she was coming too.

“Ok….” I told her, “But this place is rustic. I mean, it’s a hut or something.”

She SAID she didn’t care, but let me tell you, when we checked in, it was totally the OPPISIT of an all-inclusive 5 star hotel. Put it to you this way, there was broom in the room to sweep out the sand. And a full eco system, complete with Geckos and bugs that that Geckos eat.

I saw her unpack bubble bath stuff, and spa accessories. HA! When you took a shower, the water hits the toilet at the same time. No windows or hot water. But the owner Ron, was the BEST! Ex-pat. Can’t say anymore, except pay in cash at the time you order a drink, or your bill may reflect some blackout drinks you may or may not have ordered.

All in all, it was a blast. We bought a bottle of tequila and spiked our drinks to keep the cost down. But I have to say, I spent about the same amount as I did with the all-inclusive.

~photo by Kaspian~photo by Kaspian

1000 columns square1000 columns square

creature of the Cenote Azulcreature of the Cenote Azul

Xlapak - Little Beggar! (2007)Xlapak - Little Beggar! (2007)

Looking For A Furnished Apartment To Rent

by RickTami

We are planning to spend the winter of 2009 in the Playa Del Carmen, MX area and are looking for a nice clean furnished apartment, in a safe area to rent. (Arriving between January 10th - 15th and staying till the end of March 2009) We would like a clean 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment with kitchen, internet, air conditioning and a television that is fully furnished and close to the ocean.

by YVRDave

Try www.cancun2tulum.com they sell and rent. Nice guy too

by silviaorrego

HOla!!!
Try visiting this web: www.rivieramayaweb.com. I ve booked many time with them. I can recommmend Villas Xaguar. This villas are well located in Playa del Carmen and near by (just 1 minute walking to the beach) the beach and downtown PLaya del Carmen (just 5 minutes). The price also is very convenient.
We are planning to spend the next summer with the whole family so we are checking with them for another property that fit to our needs.
Good Luck!!! Silvia

by blue-azteca

You may want to check out the Elements in Playa del Carmen. It's brand new and right on the ocean. The website is www.beachcondoplayadelcarmen.com

It has a huge pool, gym, business center, and concierge service.

I love playa.

by YVRDave

Too bad your place doesn't rent by the month for this request

Travel Tips for Playa del Carmen

Ruins at Coba

by whitneyone

Everyone goes to Chichen Itza and climbs the Castillo. How about Coba, where you can climb an even TALLER one?
Coba has not been as fully restored as Chichen Itza nor has it been cleared of all jungle yet so you take paths (oh please rent a bike to do this) to each area. In the end you can climb the tallest castle in the Yucatan.

Guacamole Heaven

by Conspirator about El Fogon

Several other VT tips recommend this as a good local place off the beaten path - which is how we found it (thanks Dabs). What none of them mention is that this place has the best damn Guacamole in the universe. I am a huge Guac fan, must have tried it in a dozen places in Playa, and this was the best.

Also not to be missed for great local ambience where you can see the food cooked on a grill right in the restaurant. While we were there, a two-piece turned up and started singing Mexican rock tunes, a very welcome change from the Mariachis on 5th Ave.

Great value in a place like this goes without saying. For US$10 you can get more than you can eat, and then wash it down with cold beer at 17 pesos a pop.

What to eat at the beach

by olgaehr

This is probably silly, but the best lunch to have on the beach is Fruit Salad at one of the places where you rent chair and umbrella.
Granted I was sick from food poisoning, fruits were the only thing I could eat.
1 or 2 of this plates and you don't need anything else Also make sure you get Mango Margarita

snorkeling

by kcasida

Playa has many snorkeling places, one of the most interesting was a park called Xel Ha. It is a park just for snorkeling and you get to see just about everything in the water. Go out closer to the entrance of the cove and the fish get alot bigger!!

Comments