El Campanario

2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Av. 15 Norte, 218 Esquina con calle, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico
El Campanario
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 12% higher but also costs 24% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Playa del Carmen

5th Avenue5th Avenue

LATTELATTE

Cafe Corazon (2008)Cafe Corazon (2008)

Xlapak (2007)Xlapak (2007)

Christmas and new year in playa del carmen

by 77tony

Hi,

I am going to playa del carmen from the 20th dec 08 till the 3th jan09 with my girlfriend.

I wanted to ask you your kind advice...my plan is to stay 14 days in a row in some hotel in Playa and taking tours from there...

Now..Do you think it's better to do 7 days in Playa and the other 7 days somewhere else?

if yes where would you advice?

I just bought the flights and now i was looking for a hotel not too much expensive...what would you suggest? we are a young couple..so not too much money in our pockects.. :-)

thanks everyone and greeting from dublin!

tony

by Jawnuta

Hi
Check out Puerto Morelos. IT is small fishing village between Playa de Carmen and Cancun airport. Nice friendly people who say "hola" to you just after the first day....like they know you forever. Safe place where you can leave your stuff on the beach and go into water for some snorkeling.
There are only 2 bars for "party animals", the rest is very bohemian. Nice, easygoing vacation. There is a car rental office and the tour office to book your trips. Food is cheap see my restaurant tips. There is comunity supermarket with alkohol and local pharmacy.
We went there for last x-mass (dec 24-dec 31'07). I was thinking about Playa de Carmen, but as we are not "Cancun type of people" we decided to go to Puerto Morelos and we loved it!!! We drove by Playa (we rented car for a week) and I am convinced the Playa is too loud for us.
But, hey, everybody is different so take a look at my tips and plenty of pictures and decide for yourself.

by 77tony

hey Jawanuta,

Thanks a lot for you brilliant advice, and once i was born in a fisherman village, im pretty sure i could love it ...lets see what madame thinks about it.. :-))

thanks again!!!

by gfinesilver

you should check out the Mezzanine in Tulum.
i hear they have a kickin New Years party. www.mezzanine.com.mx

Molto bello.

Travel Tips for Playa del Carmen

Festival of Guadalupe

by Dabs

The was the 2nd time we've been in Mexico for the Festival of Guadalupe which is held on December 12th and celebrates the Virgin of Guadalupe and her appearance to Juan Diego telling him to build a church in Guadalupe. It's not a public holiday but is said to be one of the most important religious holidays in Mexico.

In Puerto Vallarta, there was a multiple day festival which included a nightly procession and street vendors selling food. In Playa del Carmen, we happened upon the procession with trucks decorated with pictures of the virgin followed by people singing and holding candles. Each resort in Playacar seemed to have a group of people in the procession, we saw several of them assembling as we were walking into town. Even though the groups were from the resorts, this didn't appear to be staged for tourists as it's held off 5th Avenue and we were among the few tourists seeing it.

Swimming in a Cenote

by whitneyone

There are hundreds of cenot'es you can swim in around the Playa Del Carmen Area. Some totally in a cove, some half exposed, some fully exposed. Lots of scuba divers LOVE cave diving. We went, on a recommendation to one called "the taj majal"
We should have guessed by the name, that it wasn't exactly that!
Ok, it was amazing, it was pretty, but what I love about the Caribbean is the warm water.
That doesn't happen in a cenote. Cold water, scuba divers who said it was amazing underwater where you could actually get down below and in parts you couldn't just swim into. They were using a light, for obvious reasons.
If anyone knows an amazing Cenote to swim in, please let me know, I'd like to see what the magic is all about!

Sports bar in Playa del Carmen

by SWFC_Fan about Sport Bar

I stopped at Sport Bar for a couple of cold beers on the afternoon that I visited Playa del Carmen in February 2006.

In Playa del Carmen, the main drag (Avenida Quinta, or Fifth Avenue) houses a huge selection of bars and restaurants aimed at the huge tourist crowds. I decided to take a wander off the main drag and went a few blocks inland to discover Sport Bar on Avenida Norte.

This large green and white fronted bar, complete with the names of Mexican beer brands and large model beer cans decorating the bar's exterior, is easy to spot on what is otherwise a pretty sparsely occupied street.

The airy interior is sparsely furnished (with wooden tables and green plastic chairs) and the few other customers in the place at the time of my visit were locals. The walls are decorated with photos of Playa del Carmen from years gone by (black and white photos of the beach and of fishermen with their catch), and a couple of TV sets were tuned into a local sports channel showing highlights of European football games. There is a pool table in the back of the bar.

The bar offers a limited food menu, most of which is seafood. A seafood cocktail costs 120 Pesos, shrimp cocktail 70/80 Pesos and a fillet of fish 65 Pesos. Brandy, rum, vodka and tequila cost 40 Pesos a glass.

The bottled beers were "2 for 1" at the time of my visit, so I paid 35 Pesos for 2 bottles of Sol, served with sliced limes, salt, a bowl of nibbles and a plate of cucumber and olives.

A cool, laid-back bar off the beaten tourist path.

Pizza Banana: My Favourite Pizza in Playa

by Kaspian about Pizza Banana

After a day of swimming and lying around on the beach, I loved grabbing a slice of pizza from Pizza Banana on the way back to my hotel. The slices were really cheap, only about 10 pesos, but they're the best pizza I think I've ever had. The restaurant itself isn't very much to look at, very clean inside--but what they cook is seriously close to being holy. My mouth waters whenever I think about it.

I've recently learned that Pizza Banana was in the top 3 finalists for best pizza in Playa according to Playa Maya News. Vegetarian pizza with tomatoes and black olives.

Blue Parrot Beach Bar

by lisaballetgirl

Hands down this is the best bar I have ever been to! Oriental carpets lay on the sand, pillows are tossed around the low tables. A thatch roof adds atmosphere over head. Hanging rope swings surround the bar. This feels exotic. The sound of the ocean waves can be heard over the house music. Swaying Palm trees and fresh air complete the aphrodisiac. The evening dancing starts with what else but professional fire dancers. As far as I am concerned this bar is playa's crown jewel.

Comments