El Dorado Maroma

Maroma Beach, Carretera Cancun - Tulum, Km 55.3, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma
Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Costs 45% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• A total rip off

Stayed for 6 days in October at the El Dorado Maroma needless to say it was a complete nightmare

Cons

Smell of a nearby sewage plant was really strong by the front gate, some days you could smell it on the balcony of the room
    Low quality food labeled as 'gourmet' and served on goofy looking 14 inch plates
    Much of the food was from frozen or not fresh
    Welcome fruit bowl in our room was turning bad and covered in ants
    Small portions, still hungry after eating
    45 min for an appetizer and the restaurant was near empty
    Drinks in the restaurant took forever, up to 20 minutes, had to ask 3 times
    Mains often came before appetizers
    No standard of service, every service was different and often confusing
    Food was so salty and greasy that much of it was inedible and downright disgusting
    Sauces were horrible, from powder with MSG, tons of salt, all sauces tasted the same
    Food gave us a headache and we had bad stomachs for several days after leaving
    Limited menu selection, not much of a choice left us bored after 3 days
    Sushi was awful, huge amount of hard rice, stinky frozen fish, no soya sauce
    Beef carpaccio was frozen hard half inch thick pieces of flank steak (same cut they use in fajitas)
    Cold, soggy spring rolls from frozen with no sauce
    Ribs were 3 tiny pork ribs and powdered potatoes
    Dishes arrived missing ingredients, garnishes and sides as listed on the menu, when brought to their attention they gave us all kinds of ridiculous excuses and on one occasion staff told us that we had to make a 'special order' for the sauce at time of ordering
    Only half the order arrived on many occasions, you would only get the main and not the appetizer or vice versa
    Would walk into the restaurant and no staff would be at the front of the house, would seat ourselves and have to flag someone down
    Most nights they were 'out of' something on the menu even though resort wasn't full
    Some of the breakfast buffet food was days old
    Up to 3-4 different waiters would try and take our order after we had already ordered
    No beach butler as promised, we had to hike to get our own drinks
    Beach had alot of sand fleas that bite, we couldnt sit out there one day
    Most staff did not speak or chose not to speak english making it difficult to order things or ask for information
    Most of the promised nightly entertainment was canceled without explanation made the place really boring at night with absolutely nothing to do but sit in your room
    $140 for two plain lobster tails as a 'dinner special'
    Ceasar salad was a plain leaf of lettuce with a tiny bit of Kraft salad dressing drizzled on it and an anchovie on the side, laughable
    Tempura was just greasy deep fry batter
    No steak on menu
    Slow, forgetful service, staff made us feel like we were bothering them, clearly apathetic service
    Staff would say 'Ill be right back with that sir' and just never come back
    Staff members were seen slapping and grabbing female staff members behinds around guests
    Waiters often would laugh when they brought the food making us get the vibe that they did something to it
    Bar and restaurants closed earlier than promised
    Bartender in main bar kept giving people the wrong drinks
    Drinks would arrive sometimes with garnish sometimes without, sometimes in a short glass sometimes in a tall glass, no service standards
    Pool closed too early
    Scary at night, stairway and pathway lights got turned off some nights at 11 making walking the stairs and paths was dangerous as it was pitch black, we felt unsafe with no exterior lights on the grounds of the resort
    Had to ask 3 times to get some snorkle gear, only got one set over an hour later
    Male staff were openly 'checking out' female guests
    Some staff had a creepy vibe and made my female partner uncomfortable
    Housekeeper walked into the room without knocking daily, one time while we were undressed
    24 hour room service menu consisted not much more than a 'hot dog' (cold, covered in watery salsa not chili as stated in menu), 'burrito' (cold unseasoned chicken with no sauce and too salty to eat), 'French fries' (if you can get them, they told us they turn the fryer off at night)
    Room service plates sat outside our door for a full day at times, animals got into them one night, we heard growling at the door
    They wanted $150 to wash 20 clothing items
    Lots of really expensive extras available (massages, beach dining)
    Awoken before 7am multiple times by staff hooting and hollering by the pool
    Sweeping and mopping of restaurant floors while we were eating, came close to the table
    Lots of staff running around looking busy but if you watch they were just pretending to be busy, meanwhile you had to flag down staff to get a drink or make an order
    Hotel washed the stairs and didnt put up a sign, tile floors were slippery as ice, my partner slipped
    Water was turned off for an entire day
    Hot water some of the time, shower took forever to heat up
    Steam bath was never ready to go
    Made an appointment for a steam bath, came back, they forgot to turn it on
    Service was not uniform, was always different
    No internet service in rooms
    All the TV channels (not many) were fuzzy and made an annoying hum through the TV
    Front desk didn't order our cab when we were checking out and we almost missed our flight
    Charged us 7 dollars to use the internet at the front desk

Pros

Ocean was like a swimming pool with soft imported sand
    Man made beach was beautiful but it is totally man made, they even have fake rocks out in the ocean
    Nice grounds
    Lovely rooms with comfy beds
    House coats and lots of towels in room
    Outdoor shower and balcony pool were nice
    Some of the staff were great
    Luckily the daytime made to order buffet was decent

We are fair and reasonable people but we have to say that this was the worst resort/hotel experience and the biggest vacation disappointment my partner and I have ever had. The place is nothing more than a three star masquerading as a five star by calling itself 'gourmet inclusive' it was nothing of the sort and therefore a complete rip off. We would never return to another Karizma resort and recommend that you DO NOT STAY THERE

Unique Quality: Outstanding waste of money

Directions: Past the armed soldiers at the military check point

More about El Dorado Maroma

Great time at El Dorado Maroma

by TripAdvisor Member auscan

My girlfriend and I stayed at the EDM in February and had such a great time. We got just what we were looking for, a beautiful resort, great beach, sunshine, a quiet place to relax after months of hard work :-)

All the staff we met were very friendly and helpfull and they did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable, but beware they can be noisy little buggers in the morning. We usually woke up because of the cleaning staff talking loudly outside our door.

I booked a swimm up suite and it was great, we loved staying on our patio all day long and just relax.
The room was great, it was clean but had a bit of a musky smell to it, especially in the bathroom, but it did not bother us to much.
The guy that cleaned our room always left a beautifull little towel art on the bed every day and even the bathroom had nice flower petals one day. The one thing I did not like was the water pressure in the shower as it was very weak, however the Mayan shower was absolutely fantastic and made up for it.

The food was good, I am a very picky eater but I still managed to find something on the menu, however it gets a little boring after a few days, other people we talked to thought the same.
Service at the restaurants was good, they tried very hard to please us and everyone was friendly and helpful.

The bar service was great, the drinks were very good, and they also serve premium brands and best of all there was never a wait to get a drink. Especially the Mango Daiquiris were fantastic :-) and made the girls go wild under the water fountain (you know who you are Connie, Louise and my Tracy :-)
Even so, or maybe because the resort is so small we made some great friends and had an absolute fantastic time.

I only can recommend this hotel, it was such a great place and we both hope to be back one day.

Awesome New Spot

by TripAdvisor Member Tracey_from_Canada

We just returned from a week at the El Dorado Maroma March 7 to 14th 2008. We absolutely LOVED it. Would definitely return.

We took our 17 year old daughter and her friend, and these two were definitely the youngest at the resort. After reading the reviews I wondered if they might be bored, (we've been to larger all inclusives before) but I really wanted a small resort so that I could keep them in view but still have some freedom. They loved the resort. They played beach volleyball each day with the activities staff, they laughingly took the salsa lessons, 'tanned', relaxed, played some pool. The activities staff Enrique and Ivan were fabulous. The bartenders and waiters all made the girls feel very welcome but never crossed a line- always very polite and respectful. We were totally relaxed as we knew where they were and that they were having fun - the atmosphere here is wonderful, peaceful, and luxurious.

We met lots of very nice people over the week, had some amazing meals, a great massage. We did take two days to hit Xel-ha and Cozumel which are our favorite day trips and both were great. We've been to the area many times and stayed at Palace resorts mostly in the past, which are lovely but much larger- we loved the size of this resort.

One other thing that I LOVED about the El Dorado Maroma - no smoking. It was awesome. You could lay by the pool or on the beachbeds and no smoke to spoil your day. (sorry to the smokers in the crowd) There is no smoking in any of the rooms or the restaurants, or bars and only a very, very few guests smoked at all and kindly stayed downwind while outside. Very considerate group of guests and quite fun to talk with share top shelf drinks with.

Entertainment was better than any all inclusive I have ever been to. I was quite surprised. I don't like the cheesy 'hollywood shows' with the lip syncing and costume changes - but there was only one night of that - thank goodness - the other nights they had singers that were quite good- although there were few guests up and around after 10 to enjoy them. Those who were there, enjoyed some beautiful voices, guitar, piano- it was lovely. The girls enjoyed it too and played pool and cards and usually home in bed by 12:30 or 1 which was good.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a peaceful getaway - and it did work for us with teenagers - might not for all if they want very high energy activities, but if they are ready for a relaxing week and enjoy the company of other adults, it will be just fine. Many guests stopped us to compliment us on 'our girls' and how well they fit in, so I don't think it should be an obstacle if you are considering bringing your teens and they enjoy a bit of peace and quiet with you.

Don't be concerned by the laneway into the resort - it is terrible - windy, narrow, under construction and if you weren't forewarned you might be wondering what kind of place lies at the end of it - never fear, you'll be wrapped in luxury once you get there.

White Sands, romance, peace and quiet - galore

by TripAdvisor Member TandemTravelers

We just returned from two weeks at the El Dorado Maroma and wish to say, we didn't want to leave. The resort is fabulous for romance, peace and quiet and long, long walks on white sand beaches. It is over 2 miles south of the closest resort but only 15 minutes from Playa Del Carmen.
The resort is made up of the older rooms or the newest, larger rooms - some with infinity pools on the decks. We stayed in the older section which had direct ocean views from all rooms. The pictures you see on their website are of the older section and only two stories in height. The newer rooms are in four story buildings - there are no elevators - and probably have 50 or so rooms in total. The entire resort only has 72 rooms so it is very, very small and cozy.
For those who are interested, the Maroma Beach Marina is directly to the north of the resort. Although they rent power boats and jet skis, the noise was not that obvious.
We have traveled to Mexico for over 25 years and enjoyed this resort the most of any and we have stayed at them all. Understand that we are in our 50's so not into the "have to do something" every waking moment on our vacations and go to rest, relax and read. If you want activity - go to El Dorado Royale - it's a lively place with lots of things to do - more oriented for the younger crowd (we were there last year). At El Dorado Maroma (EDM) you do not have to rush out in the wee hours of the morning to set your towels out to get a place at the beach. The pool areas do not have the blaring um-pa boom music playing, the staff is extremely pleasant and the food is wonderful.
The restaurants are not buffet - although there is a small one at the breakfast and lunch restaurant. There are only three restaurants - one of which is open for breakfast and lunch. Lunch is served on the beach on Thursday, Friday and Saturday although you can still get lunch in the restaurant but who would want to. There is an Oriental, an Italian and a Mexican restaurant. Smaller healthier portions but you can try alot of different foods so believe me you do not go away hungry. Of the two weeks we were there, we ate at the oriental every night but three and never got tired of it. This is where you will meet most of the other guests and have a chance to chit-chat. We made some good friends and had some wonderful conversations.
Perhaps the only short coming is the resort is rather understaffed. Service is not fast but they try hard.
My husband and I walked daily down the beach. We actually did some community service while we were there and picked up trash along the beach further down. The stuff that floats in off the ships - oh my gosh. Shoes, water bottles, plastic bags...etc. We picked up 6 hugh bags of trash and hauled it back to the resort to be disposed of. We actually had some other travelers from the resorts down the way help us. It made us feel good as well. (The EDM will provide bags if you are interested - just ask at the Consierge desk).
We did not go snorkling at the resort or at the Marina where the hugh catamarans leave from. If you walk down the beach about 1/2 mile, you will find a sail boat called the Eight Dwarfs and William is the owner. Not a fancy boat but goes to the same place as the big boats do but only charges $30 per person for a three hour trip. Tell him Rick and Mary sent you.
I must let you know that my husband and I are members of Exotic Travel and have been - that is my disclaimer - but I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a laid-back, recovery vacation.
Hope this helps and may everyone have a wonderful vacation - and DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!!!!

Nice intimate resort

by TripAdvisor Member AAS

We spent 5 nights at El Dorado Maroma beginning on April 1st. Overall we had a wonderful vacation but there is some room for improvement. The resort is relatively new and seems to be struggling a bit with reservations. We stayed in the Mi Hotelito section and had requested a second floor room. When we checked in I asked if they were full and the front desk clerk told me no they were only at 50% occupancy. Since we had arrived about noon they told us to enjoy lunch and they would find us when our room was ready. My husband actually sat in the lobby waiting for the room because he was just recovering from a cold and did not want to get out in the wind (more on that later) and they never told him the room was ready. He actually saw a steady stream of people come in to complain that the room they had booked (primarily the new swim up suites) was not available. When he finally went to ask about our room at 4:00 the new desk clerk told him the room had been available all afternoon, so much for finding us. Unfortunately the room was a ground floor room when my husband asked about a second floor room she told him it was too bad he had not asked earlier because she had just given out the last second floor room. Well actually we did ask and he was sitting 5 feet from her the whole time. She told us we could move rooms in the morning. When we returned in the morning it was the same gentleman from the day before who told us no second story rooms were available and he did not know if any would be available and we should just check back every hour or so to see if they could move us. We were not off to a good start. My husband went back without me and the gentleman claimed he put us in the ground floor room because your wife is pregnant and should not climb stairs – after my husband pointed out that I ran 5 miles in their gym that morning the clerk finally agreed to look for a second floor room – we moved after lunch our first day that was really our only trouble.

The Mi Hotelito rooms are fine nothing fancy but certainly nice enough. They have very nice toiletries in the room. The rooms have a double bed on the balcony and a table with two chairs which is a wonderful spot for breakfast. You can enter the ground floor rooms through the patio, some people may prefer this for running to the bar and what not, but there is not much of an ocean view mainly due to the palapas on the beach. The second floor room seemed much more private and had a wonderful ocean view.

The gym was small but adequate. One elliptical, one stair climber, a couple of treadmills, free weights and 3 weight stations.

Room service was very prompt. Breakfast was especially wonderful. The menu is very small and does not really have any snack items. One day we called and asked if we could just have some chips and guacamole and a fruit plate (even though it was not on the menu) they said no problem.

The beach is beautiful. The sand is white and powder soft. There are tons of palapas – we never had a problem finding one available. Towels are placed out in common areas. The staff came by and removed any towels that were left on beds or loungers without personal belongings periodically. There was frequent drink service on the beach and the wait staff was very friendly. There were no pool floats available – we walked over to the marina one day and bought one for $10.

We had a couples massage in the sky huts over the water. I had a pregnancy message which was just ok but my husband enjoyed his Swedish massage. They also had morning yoga and evening candle light dinners in the sky huts. We did not do either of those but I think they would have been nice.

The food was very pretty and usually very good. I have a huge sweet tooth and the desserts were mostly just ok, all the restaurants basically had the same selection so not a lot of variety. The vanilla ice cream is homemade and fabulous though! Our first night at the Italian and the Oriental restaurants the portions were very tiny, no problem we just ordered more food. The portions seemed to get bigger later in the week – but it could be because we started ordering all the courses. Lunch was at the Mexican place our first and last day were off a menu but I don’t think the menu was available the other days (I could be wrong some one told us that and we never verified it). Wednesday they grilled fajitas by the pool, Thursday they set up tables with umbrellas on the beach a guy pulled up on a boat with fish and they fried it right there on the beach, Friday they grilled salmon, chicken and beef on the beach, and Saturday they had paella on the beach. I understand they are building a snack hut next to the Mexican restaurant – that will be a nice addition as there is no where to get a quick bite right now.

It is an older crowd so fairly quiet – nights were extremely quiet. We stopped by Rick’s bar one night but there was not much going so we left. All rooms have DVD players and they have a small DVD collection you can check out movies from in the lobby. There is decent selection there so most nights we watched a DVD in our room.

The other thing to mention is the wind. I realize that is not something the resort controls but it was really incredible. I would guess the wind was a sustained 20 to 30 mph the entire time we were there day and night. We could hear the wind howling in our second floor room (we were on the end I did not notice any the holwing in our one night on the ground floor). The wind would blow the chips and lettuce off your plate for the beach lunches. At times we left the beach because of the blowing sand. Its not like the wind diminished our trip but that appears to be the norm there (they have screens up to block the wind) so be prepared.

Overall, after we got the room situation settled, we had a really great time. The resort is wonderfully small and personal. We felt like the staff was super friendly and really tried to go out of their way to make your stay special. I would definitely recommend it for a romantic vacation.

A lovely holiday

by TripAdvisor Member traveladdictOntario

First of all, my husband and I are NOT resort people, but since staying at the ElDorado Maroma that may have changed.

We arrived at the hotel via a long winding (almost paved) road and were met by some of the friendliest hotel staff I have ever met. We were given champagne and warm scented face towels to refresh us. The lobby was modern and clean and the staff very, very friendly.

We had a room on the older, Mi Hotelito side and, although it was very nice, it did show its age a bit. If you are booking a room I would definitely spend the extra money on a swim up or infinity suite - I got a chance to see one and they are beautiful and spacious.

The beach is gorgeous and there are plenty of beach beds to lounge on, although I would claim yours by 9am or so. The staff is amazing - so friendly and very proud of the work that they do.
Most notably, Eddy, David, Sergio, Enrique and Gloria. There were many other bartenders and beach wait staff that deserve to be mentioned as well.

It is a very laid back resort with not much to do in the evening - Rick's Bar is enjoyable but not too busy - the staff is entertaining and really tries to get you involved in the small activities (beach volleyball, pool aerobics, Spanish lessons, etc).

We were warned about timeshare solicitation but we were asked once very briefly and then never heard about it again. It is definitely not something to be concerned about.

The food was excellent - beautiful! That's all I can say! You will eat well but you will not gorge yourself on buffet style food - it is a gourmet experience with a lot of attention to quality and detail.

A piece of Paradise - thank you

by TripAdvisor Member bikerchick2

My husband and I have just returned from 2 wonderful weeks at the Eldorado Maroma. We had every intention to book the Eldorado Royale after staying there 4 years ago but when we went on line to book the Maroma came up and we are so glad we booked this instead. It is so different to the Royale and obviously on a much smaller, intimate scale.

Firstly, don't be put off by the drive up to the hotel. You have to drive about 10 minutes through the mangroves to get to the Marina and the Resort, but this fantastic beach wouldn't be found just off the road. They are currently laying tarmac all the way so bare with them. The reception is lovely once you arrive and you are welcomed with a wet towel to freshen up (smells wonderful) and a chilled glass of Champagne. You seem to suddenly forget the flight there.

Now everyone has a different idea of what a good holiday is and my review is only my opinion, some like to be constantly active and enjoy a drink etc but we like peace and quiet and tranquility. I feel that the Maroma gave us this. You have to bare in mind that the hotel has only been open since November 2007 as it was taken over by the Eldorado group so the staff are very eager to please and gain good reviews. The concierge are always wandering around the resort and checking that everything is okay and they will even get you a drink if your glass is empty. They do read the reviews every morning that are left by guests before departing.

Our experience was a good one and we have returned home with very happy memories and horrible post holiday blues.

Now, yes we did have a couple of issues one was the very loud TV in the next room which we found was on a timer to come on at certain times to welcome new arrivals, even early morning flights! (we couldn't get our heads around this) we did have to compain but when we did it was sorted out by the concierge Ruth and I was given a complentary treatment at the Spa. Now again, this is only our opinion but when one books a holiday to a resort far away from other hotels on the best beach in the world which is also supposed to be a relaxing spa resort, one would expect a bit of peace and quiet but we did experience a little noise. Lots of door banging (by staff and guests), loud TVs and unfortunately we were opposite Rick's bar so just bad luck I guess. We did suggest that maybe the TV's should have a set volume limit and they did take that on board. We also mentioned the door banging too which seemed to get better.

Someone did mention in another review that the music speaker on the beach was a bit annoying. I do agree a little as there wasn't really any need for it except for when Ivan the entertainment's guy was doing water arobics in the pool. But in the afternoon they did play alot of ballads and it was actually quite relaxing some days. Maybe they had altered the volume after the previous people had complained? They also mentioned the curtains on the balconies these were for privacy only and could be tied back if you wanted.

There was some work being carried out both weeks we were there and it did get loud at times, towards the end of the fortnight they had finished an outside grill area which will house another eating option for the hotel. We didn't benefit from it this time but we do intend to return to enjoy it soon. My husband quite enjoyed watching them build it especially when we found out to get a perfect rounded edge on a patio just use some guttering pipe!!! Fantastic!

Now, after those small grumbles I have to give it large. These people were the most warm, sincere and genuine I have ever met in my life. To be welcomed and taken into people's hearts the way we were is far beyond compehension. The staff did not require a tip to give you good service like other hotels we have visited. If we did leave a tip it was accepted with sincere thanks regardless of how large or small or on more than one occasion not accepted.

This is a Gourmet Inclusive resort so the food is exceptional and incredibly fresh, the drinks available are all the top brands except the Champagne good, but it does pack a punch but I'm not a drinker so it doesn't take much!

For breakfast and lunch you went to Sabores near the main pool where everytime we received outstanding service from Jose, Marcial and Mario (super mario) and nothing was too much trouble for them. It's even more amazing when you learn how much these guys are on a week. At breakfast and lunch you could eat outside and on a Thurs, Fri and Sat there was lunch on the beach.

Dinner was again, in either Sabores (mexican/continental), Mio (italian) or the Asian/Japanese (can't remeber the name). The asian restaurant is good where you can get sushi, sashimi and stir fries etc. Our favourite was Mio. If you didn't fancy a full on 3 course meal every night then you could go to any restaurant and just order one dish which I did on a number of occasions, my favourite was the Mahi Mahi from Mio. Alfredo and Carlos will see you right in there. There is 24 hour room service but it is very basic, don't be scared to ask for something that isn't on the menu though as they will try to accomodate you. I'm a health freak and used the gym a couple of times as I do alot of running the gym has more than enough equipment to keep your routine. I was paranoid about gaining weight but after 2 weeks of beautiful fresh food 3 times a day and a couple of runs I lost 6lbs!!!! Hilarious. Even funnier my husband lost 4lbs and wished he'd ignored my 'skip a desert today darling' remarks.

Rick's bar is where everything happens on a night, great eighties revival music videos are played (hilarious, brought back memories) and then some kind of live act, girls look out for the 4 piece mexican rock band-fantastic and boy! they melted some hearts. Alex and Christian will keep you entertained and maybe give you a game of pool. At the moment it's England 9 Mexico 7 to be continued........

The Spa is lovely and I enjoyed 2 massages and a paraffin pedicure, I recommend the pedicure the day before you come home as it really conditions your feet after the heat, sand etc.

The Marina is just to the side of the hotel and does not cause a problem in fact is quite welcoming if you like to hear the sound of boats etc. My husband did half a day's deep sea fishing and he just walked to the marina instead of having to endure a coach ride for half an hour first before catching a boat.

Now we are very quiet people and keep ourselves to ourselves and for the first week of our holiday were in bed at 8pm every night and slept for 10 wonderful hours of dreamless sleep (think it was the humidity as normally I average 4 hours a night!), but if you wear a smile and say please and thankyou these people will love you. I have come home with new friends not only from Mexico but from Canada and America and we have been overwhelmed with the kindness we have received this last fortnight. So much so, we plan to return to this little piece of paradise to renew our wedding vows very soon. We have swapped email addresses with a couple of the concierge who are going to help us arrange this so that it will be perfect.

Thank you all so much at the Maroma for providing us with a holiday that we so needed, and I hope this helps other potential guests on Trip Advisor, I almost didn't want to write a good review so that people wouldn't visit and it could just remain ours.

Great Small Resort Experience

by TripAdvisor Member goodneighbor

My wife and I stayed at EDM for 8days around Easter. Had a lovely time. would definitely recommend this place for a small relaxing boutique type resort. The staff was great, my wife made many friends. We stayed in the older Mi Hotelito part, not as fancy as the bigger new building, but more established, with a true tropical feeling, very close to the beach. We love the International restaurant by the main pool. The menu kepted us intrigued for all 3 meals. The Italian Restaurant had some fine adventuresome choices but one night we had a hankering for Spaghetti Bolognese, ask and you shall receive. All the restaurants were very accommodating with special food requests. The older thatched beach beds are down by the Mi Hotelito end with more shady palms. You can still find one as late as 8am, even thought the resort was full.

My only complaint is the use of music. A resort like this which caters to a sightly older adult crowd should realize that people need a break from noise. Not necessary, especially near a beach. The active crowd can find a ton of recreation a block north of the resort at the Maroma Marina .

We highly recommend EDM and look forward to someday returning.

mixed stay

by TripAdvisor Member relco

We stayed at the resort for a week. We had been to another Karisma Resort, which is now part of another group, last year and loved it. Our experience at this resort was different. In terms of the location and beach, it is wonderful. The water is lovely to swim in, and the beach is great for walking. We originally booked in the Mi Hotelito section but thought that the rooms were dark and a little damp. Plus we didn't like the white fabric stretched across the balconies blocking the views. We upgraded to Infinity suites without the pool. The Infinity Suites on the third and forth floors don't have the pool, and instead have lovely large balconies with a bed, two chairs and a table. They are large, clean and very nice. The bathrooms were very nice with thick towels and nice soaps. The outdoor showers could be great, but the faucet points the water directly at the door, so it is impossible to be under the water. The indoor shower was very good.

The food was very good. We wished that the 24 bar had been open in the evening. It is a lovely place to have a drink and to feel that you are someplace else. In Ricks, with the loud music and pulsing lights, you could be anywhere. There are not many places to eat outdoors and this is something that the resort seems to be working on.

The people working at the resort on the whole were extremely nice and tried to be helpful. Lisa, a concierge, worked to get us into upgraded rooms, and tried to get the music at the beach turned down.

The only thing that really disturbed us and that will ultimately prevent us from going there or another Karisma resort again is the constant "music" that is played all over the resort. Especially the speaker that is put on at 9 until 5 directly on the beautiful,could be peaceful, beach. We had to argue to get them to turn it down or off for short periods. It drove us absolutely crazy. We didn't go to be on a beach to listen to music (and, what's more, that we had no control over). We could go to Coney Island for that. I didn't mind the live music at lunch, or the music at the bar areas. But to have to be subjected to a down beat all day on the beach is another story. It would have been a different experience without it, and I doubt that anyone staying there would have missed it. We would be booking our stay next year without it.

Romance with a capital R

by TripAdvisor Member bermantravelheather

This place is amazing. The drive in, I was a little nervous. There is not much to the driveway (seemed to be working on this), but when we got into the resort, it just oozes romance. The service was amazing, food is heaven and there is no fighting for a beach chair. There is 4 restaurants, 72 rooms and 150+ employees. The sky massage is the best I have ever had!! Don't hesitate to book. One of my new favorites. Anyone wanting more pictures or to get more info, just email me at Heather@Bermantravel.com. i am happy to help.

Comments