El Duende del Mar

More about Playa del Carmen

photo by Kaspianphoto by Kaspian

The beauty of MexicoThe beauty of Mexico

Hotel Plaza parking spacesHotel Plaza parking spaces

5th Avenue - By Day (2007)5th Avenue - By Day (2007)

Weather & Restaurants & Must Sees

by rmsg1228

Hello VT'ers,

We will be honeymooning in the Playa area Jan. 3rd to the 8th. Does anyone know what we can expect as far as weather? Just wondering what to pack so I can start digging out some of our summer stuff if need be!

Also, I am a vegeterain and was wondering if you have restaurant recommendations for the town of Playa Del Carmen? We are staying at the adults only all inclusive Iberostar Grand Paradaiso but I'm sure we will venture out to Playa for at least one day.

We also welcome suggestions of things we should see/do such as the cenotes and I've been hearing about a bar/restuarant that's a cave called Alux Cave or something like that? I'm not really into snorkeling and scuba though so activities not involving that would be welcome suggestions!

Thanks!
Renee

by Dabs

I've written up a lot of our daytrips on my Mexico pages, there are lots of ruins that you can do by daytrip-Chichen Itza is a long day trip, Tulum and Coba are closer. You can do them on your own or arrange to go on a guided trip, we visited Tulum by using public transport and Coba the 1st time by driving, the 2nd time with an organized tour.

You can also take the ferry over to Cozumel for the day, you can go to one of the ecoparks (Xelha or Xcaret).

I've never been in January but we've been in December many times and February a couple of times, during the day we wear shorts, swimsuits, etc., in the evening it gets cooler and I've needed a sweater and long pants on occasion.

Alltournatives does nice tours that include a variety of activities

by rmsg1228

Thanks so much!

by GlobeTrekr

You can't go wrong with Dabs advice! She has great pages on Playa del Carmen and surrounding areas and always gives excellent info.
Never been to Chichen Itza but I loved Tulum and highly recommend visiting. Xelha was a bit disappointing when I was there in Sep. 2007 but if you're not looking for water activities then you should definitely visit the Mayan ruins of your choice. Also, you won't have a problem with being vegetarian in Mexico. Have fun!

by Dabs

Thanks Globetrekr :-)

Xelha and Xcaret are very commercial, sort of like a Mayan Disneyland. Some people really enjoy it, some people don't, just like Disneyland. They are both expensive so plan on spending the whole day if you choose either of those.

I haven't been to Alux but I remember seeing a couple of reviews on here if you go look at people's pages, you should be able to find a review or two.

Check this forum board for info on dining in Playa, it's mostly written by locals and people who visit every year, I'm sure you can find some vegetarian suggestions.

Travel Tips for Playa del Carmen

La siesta

by Joan58

I like to know local customs. In Yucatan there are hammocks almost everywhere. I was enthusiastic about the 'siesta'. To take a little rest after lunch rocking under a palm tree while the sun is playing with the leaves. Wow!! This is the life!!

Away from the crowd at Akumal Cove

by whitneyone

The further south you drive, the less popuated it becomes. Yet you would hardly know this due to the huge facades on the highway announcing that you have reached another sprawling development. In Akumal there are a lot of houses, a few hotels and one of the nicest beaches between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum.
The water was warm, the people were all so HAPPY. There was a family, a couple and two sons aged possibly 6-10 who simply snuggled with each other as they stared at the ocean. No ice chests, no towels, no fighting, just the four of them together. They must have sat like that,changing positions for an hour. It was one of the nicest things I have ever seen. Maybe they were always like that, but I owe some of it o the beach.

Taxi

by RJ1967

It is possible to take a taxi between Playa del Carmen and Cancun. Our driver told us that the regular fare from PDC to Cancun was $35US. We needed two taxi's, so our rate was $30 per car.
The trip from PDC to Cancun airport is 41mi/66km one way and can be done in about 45 minutes.

Mexican spice anyone?

by pauleast about La Caretta

Authentic Mexican cuisine served under a palapa roofed restaurant. Great selections of tequila available for that after dinner shot!

Tasty ceviche served (raw fish cooked by lime juice) together with enchillada's, fresh snapper. The choice is yours - enjoy!

Finish meal off with a selection of deserts to add to your waistline - chocolate tart is particularly good! chicken and steak enchilladas were cooked to perfection!

Phenomenal Water

by jenn_d

The primary activity in Playa is the beach. We spent hours laying about, swimming , and snorkeling. Closer to town people wer playing volleyball, windsurfing, and playing beach soccer.

The water was clear and refreshing, but not biting cold like in California! I was stung by some unknown little creature and navigating out past the coral reefs proved a bit tricky in flip flops but we could not get enough water time.

Comments