Constituyentes No. 1, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77500, Mexico

1912

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Not the best for swimming or a quiet evening

This hotel is perfectly located on the beach but their advertising of the beach is totally misleading using photos that are over 8 years old before the beach was damaged from a hurricane. Now much of the beach front is protected by sandbags. I would have stayed elsewhere but from the photos it leads you to think the beach is amazing. Totally photo shopped in addition to some old photos.

When I stayed I had to change rooms twice. Once because of all the ants in the room and the other was due to the loud band playing at the pool until 12:30am each night. While they do offer babysitting it does not come across as family oriented with this band and DJ keeping everyone up.

Unique Quality: The buffets offered with the all inclusive were very good.

• NIGHTMARE AT GRAN PORTO REAL

While on the surface the Hotel looks to good to be true the fact is that it is. Food while free had little or no taste at all. Most staff on the surface seem genuine however management was rude and uncaring when faced with a serious situation. During our stay ALL of our cash was stolen from the room safe. A total amount of over $3500 USD. When this was reported to the desk it was treated with indifference and we were asked not to talk to any other guests or staff about the incident while it was being 'investigated'. The manager was very rude and accused me of lying about the matter and threatened to remove my family from the hotel if we were not quiet. Police were involved and staff were spoken to but to no avail. These hotel safes are a joke the PIN number can be hacked and to top it all off there is a master key for every safe in the hotel with the security staff. What a great scam, steal money from safe and then wait for the 'poor Gringo' to go home a few days latter. INSIDE JOB for sure. Even upper management did not bat an eyelid. All these people want is your MONEY, THEY DON"T CARE. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Directions: In the middle of the poorest areas I have ever see

• Perfect Vacation Beginning to End

Our stay at Gran Porto Real in Playa del Carmen was, as always, perfect. Perhaps the most ideal thing about this resort is its staff, all of whom make guests feel valued and appreciated. You will be treated with wonderful warmth and hospitality from staff members who work tirelessly to make sure your every need is catered to. In addition to their personal touch, you will notice that they work continuously to keep the resort spotless and well maintained.

This resort has the feel of real luxury yet it is casual enough to be unpretentious. You will see people in shorts and sandals and those who prefer to dress with more elegance. There is also an interesting mixture of young and old, families and singles. We saw several lovely indoor and outdoor weddings while we were at Gran Porto and noticed that many large families came to reunite from around the country and, no doubt, from around the world. While in the 24 hour snack bar, I took some time to watch the young women working in the daycare and was impressed with the constant care and attention given to the children of the guests. It seems that no matter what your age, you are treated like royalty when you are at Gran Porto Real!

One of the things we like best about the resort is the location. It is within easy walking distance of downtown Playa del Carmen. However, once inside the resort or beachside on the grounds, you feel that you are away from anything resembling a city and truly in a beachside paradise. The rooms, the common areas and the pool area are close enough to the beach so that almost anywhere in the resort you can either see the beach or, at the very least, hear the ocean and feel of ocean breezes.

What a choice in food! You can choose from the Albatross Restaurant (elegant and extensive buffet), Maria’s Restaurant (Mexican), Pescatore Restaurant (Italian) and numerous snack bars. The resort food is amazing, in all restaurants the presentation is something out of a magazine and your wait staff will be the icing on the cake. We chose to go to the buffet for most meals and were blessed to usually have a marvelous waiter by the name of Dion. His service was impeccable. Dion was a charming young man with a warm smile and cheerful attitude. He never seemed to tire of giving us Spanish lessons when we asked or answering our many questions about the Mexican Riviera or Mexico in general. The other wait staff was marvelous as well but we tried our best to have Dion as our server whenever possible.

The junior suites are very spacious and, if an unobstructed view of the ocean is important to you, make certain you get an ocean front suite. An ocean view room may have some view of the ocean but it can be either from a distance or with some building obstruction or both. I spoke with several people who had the least expensive rooms (not suites and without any beach view). They all stated that because they spent very little time in their rooms, they were quite happy with their rooms and felt that, due to the lower room fares, they were getting an excellent value for their accommodations.

Our housekeeper, Patricia, was phenomenal. In addition to keeping the room in perfect condition, she also left us lovely swans sculpted out of towels and made certain our refrigerator was full of the drinks we preferred. As with other staff members, she made us feel welcome and completely at home.

At the resort you will probably have the pleasure of meeting Monserat, the patient woman who works at the money exchange. Despite my repeated math errors and inability to accurately ask for change, Monserat never lost her smile or her sense of humor.

I have no qualms about recommending the Gran Porto Real. The experience from beginning to end was a true pleasure. The one thing nicer than the accommodations and the location is the staff; you will never meet a finer group of people anywhere. The only problem I encountered during my stay was feeling incredibly sad to leave and knowing that I will not be able to return until next year.

Directions: two blocks from 5th St which is "downtown" but right on the beach

• AWESOME

My boyfriend and I went to Gran Porta Real All Inclusive, last november,for 7 days. We had never been to Mexico, so through the advice of our agent, chose this resort. We had the most absolute great time and would and have recommended this resort to friends and family. The only issue we had was when we first arrived, out oceanfront room was not available. They put us in a street view room overnight, which was nice, gave us a voucher for the gift shop, then moved us into our ocean front the next day. That room could not have been any better than it was. Beautiful full view of the ocean, we were on the third floor, but were able to see the evening stage shows directly from our balcony. We had the same housekeeper all week and she went out of her way to keep our room fresh and clean with fresh flowers daily, in a variety of arrangements throughout the room. The food was great in all the variety of venues, from beach to elite. The staff was very friendly. The only thing I would recommend is be sure to use your 'do not disturb' sign on your door if you do not want to be bothered. We already are planning a trip back, with family, in May.........

Unique Quality: The pool was beautiful and cleaned daily, however, not heated. We were dissapointed that the rooftop pool and whrilpool were not open.

Directions: 2 blocks from 5th ave. on the beach

• Jezebelle78's Profile Photo

You get your money's worth here..

Lovely hotel with access to a nice beach. Great food and drinks and spa. Rooms are sizeable but not sure I would get the ocean view room again as it's by the pool and have far less privacy than the courtyard rooms (which incidentally cost less to book). Overall, our stay was lovely and the hotel is right at the foot of all the stores and restaurants at the Playa Del Carmen village. The ferry to Cozumel was within walking distance. Compared to many nice hotels which we saw, not only luxurious but also convenient because you didn't feel isolated as there were many things to do within walking distance.

Unique Quality: Jacuzzi in the room. Hotel staff was very accomodating.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Exterior shot-Gran Porto Real

This is a picture of the exterior of the Gran Porto Real by the pool area and beach, see my previous tip for a review of the hotel

• Dabs's Profile Photo

AI/EP in Playa del Carmen

We chose the Gran Porto Real because it was one of two resorts offered through Apple Vacations or FunJet that was not an all inclusive.

The Gran Porto Real appeared to be the largest resort in Playa del Carmen as most of the hotels either smaller beachfront properties or smaller hotels located a couple of blocks off the beach. If you want to stay in a mega resort there are plenty on the Riveria Maya, just not in Playa del Carmen.

Unique Quality: You can choose either the all inclusive plan or the European plan (which includes the room and nothing else). We chose the European plan as we wanted to try some of the local restaurants and spend our time off the resort's property. So I can't really comment about the food or the activities.

We booked a junior suite without an ocean view. The view from the room was not very nice, it overlooked an alleyway and a few trees. The room was nice, a typical resort hotel room.

The toiletries included shampoo, conditioner and lotion (no bath gel). The room had air conditioning, a small refrigerator and a tv. You could get a key from the front desk for the in room safe.

The shower was typical for the Caribbean or Mexico. It was cold if you were the first one showering, sometimes it changed temperatures mid shower.

We had little staff interaction but check in and check out went very smoothly.

The beach area and pool area was fine, not the nicest I've seen but OK.

A note for visitors in 2003 and early 2004: there is another resort being built right next door, the construction started early in the morning. The guests on that side were livid and the hotel was desperately trying to relocate them or other guests to their other properties in Cancun. I've also heard of overbooking problems at peak times.

More about Gran Porto Real Resort and Spa

The Gran Porto "Real" Experience

I just returned yesterday from a 4-day trip to this hotel in Playa del Carmen. Three of us went without husbands or kids, just to "get away" and relax! That, we accomplished!

Before and after booking my trip through American Airlines Vacations, I read MANY reviews of this hotel. Initially, it was rated overall very highly. But as I continued to read reviews, I was concerned about the "overbooking" problem with the front desk. It seems to be an ongoing problem that is prevalent throughout many hotels in Mexico, sadly. I contacted AA Premium Customer Service, and they assured me I would get the Junior Oceanview Suite we had paid for. They contacted the hotel prior to our visit to confirm. Indeed, we received one of the nicest and best located rooms on the property. It was on the 3rd floor, with a covered balcony with hammock, chairs and table overlooking the pool and ocean. GREAT VIEW! We did talk to one honeymoon couple who did not get their suite and ended up in a standard room. Also met a family of 4 with a king bed who were never given another room. Confirm before you leave.

We went "all inclusive", which is the way to go. Tipping is not expected if you go that route. They have excellent margaritas and anything you want! The staff is very nice and accomodating. The Maria Margarita has the best food, as well as the pool bar menu. The Sports Bar was fun with appetizers, etc. Breakfast "made to order" is the way to go if you eat in the buffet. Omelets, eggs, and waffles were really yummy!

Things to be aware of at the Gran Porto. There are multiple sales desks in the lobby area. Some are time shares, some are tour desks. Just keep walking if you must go by. It is easy to say "No, thanks" as you quicken your stride.

Beware of people on the beach presenting themselves as hotel employees wearing a hotel t-shirt offering you a catamaran ride to a reef, etc. Best to ask them for hotel I.D. One couple took the deal with an inexperienced crew that crashed the catamaran into a reef a few hundred yard from shore. Luckily, they were rescued by a dive boat and no one was hurt. Good thing they didn't pre-pay.

We enjoyed our trip, and would definitely return!

Gran Porto Real Suites & Spa, They will try but DO NOT SETTLE FOR LESS

It appears that this is a regular thing at this hotel. They continually over book and try to get you to another hotel or to settle for something less. The location, beach, and most staff were wonderful. Having to start our vacation the way we did was most unsettling. We waisted the 1st night and most of the next day, fighting for the room that we booked and paid for, as did many other guests. Word of advise, Don't settle, go straight to the top. The hotel managers office is directly to the left of the counter, straight thru that door and turn right. Between him and the tour company, they will accomodate. The food was average and repetative, but acceptable. You can book most of your adventures outside the hotel for a much better price.

Overbooked

This resort overbooked and upgraded my mother and I to the Gala Resort in Playacar. I must admit that my review will be limited, but could help someone in deciding whether or not they would like to stay at the Gran Porto Real.

I would recommend if you do, be sure to get a suite instead of the standard room. The standard room is very small and at the back of the resort. The resort itself is small and from what I saw PACKED with guests. The beach was also very crowded. You also must wear a bracelet for the duration of your stay. If you lose it, it will cost you $50 to replace.

We were extremely lucky to end up at the Gala as it is in the hotel zone of Playa del Carmen and off limits to the locals. Gran Porto Real is at the end of the main street in Playa del Carmen. Playa del Carmen is a poor town to say the least.

If you want fairly nice accomodations and don't mind tons of people surrounding you and are fine with wearing a bracelet, then the Gran Porto Real will suit you. If you want a true five star experience in Playa del Carmen I recommend the Gala resort.

Playa del Carmen looking south from the Gran PortoPlaya del Carmen looking south from the Gran Porto

gran porto real

by justplayin

has anyone been to this resort? i'm booked there july 23-30. anything you could tell me would be helpful.

RE: gran porto real

by Dabs

I stayed there a couple of years ago, my review is over on my PDC page. We did the EP plan instead of the AI plan as there are so many good places to eat in PDC. There was a new resort going in next door, it was still being worked on as of my last trip in Dec 04. You might check TripAdvisor and see if anyone has written it up recently.

Comments