Grand Riviera Princess

Punta Bete, Km. 296 carretera Chetumal, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico
Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Grand Riviera Princess

Life as a princess

by mariah_t about grand riviera princess

This hotel is amazing, the beache is very beautiful and there is a lot of activities availables in this area.
I would recommend this hotel to everybody who want to have a relaxing vacation with friends and familly. Also, i think it could be a beautiful place for a wedding.
The only problem i found on this hotel is that there is only one disco and i never been because it didn't seems attractive. For the night life it's maybe not the best hotel. The lobby is very beautiful.
We can rent jetsky on the beach.
It was an all-inclusive forfait.

liked the princess

by TripAdvisor Member mau43

i just returned from the grand riviera princess on Jan 02,08.
I would recommend this hotel if your going towards the end of January,there is still a few odds and ends to be finished but overall it was good.The first day we arrived the room that was given to us ,the a/c wasnt working and the TV only had one channel.I complained and they gave me a beautiful room on 3rd floor and everything was functional.The buffet was pretty good not excellent.The restaurants a la carte were all open,but i did not have a chance to try them.The beach was nice but wasn't the nicest I have seen in Rivera Maya.

I have been in rivera maya 5 times and stayed at the Barcelo,Bahia Principe,Iberstor,and the Palace.And for the cheap price I paid for the Princess I honestly think this hotel is worth going to.I am very fussy and i rate this hotel 4 out of 5 considering the price.
By the way there was no construction going on while I was there.

Awesome Vacation!!!

by TripAdvisor Member CJ777

I just got home from an awesome vacation at the Grand Riviera
Princess! I was quite worried before I left because I had read some terrible reviews from people who had just been there recently. I tried to get the travel agency to move us to another hotel, or to give us our money back. The agency insisted that there would be a representative there to look after any problems, or questions we may have when we got to the resort. I told myself to be optimistic and that maybe they would have the kinks worked out and everything would be ok!

The moment we walked into the main lobby we were greeted with champagne! Check in took a max. of 10 minutes and was a breeze.

Our room was clean and gorgeous! There was tequila and a fruit platter waiting for us in the room as well. We ate at the buffet for the first night and after that booked at the a la carte restaurants. We had no problems booking at any of them. The fondue restaurant was my favorite by far. The buffet had an excellent selection of food and had wide variety to choose from.

We went into Playa Del Carmen for some shopping/dinner and the cab ride cost $15.00 each way.

The resort itself was gorgeous! The gardens were pretty much immaculate. There are lots of pools to lounge around by and tons of activities that go on every day at the main pool.

We went on a few tours during our stay and got to see some incredible sights. I would recommend renting a car and going to Coba on your own though because the whole tour was very rushed and we did not get to eat until 2 in the afternoon after not being able to eat all day!

There are lots of bars at the resort and every night there is a show put on by the animation group.

Everywhere you go there is somewhere to sit and relax which was nice.

The resort is quite large and you do a fair bit of walking, but I did not mind at all because I like the exercise.

Room service was great, very quick! All of the staff are very friendly and are there to help.

I loved the resort and plan to go back. It is stunning, and is a must see! I would highly recommend going to Playa Del Carmen if you like to shop and see some neat things!

Had a Good Time

by TripAdvisor Member Jinge

We just returned from our one week stay from Jan 4 to 11th at the Grand Riviera Princess. After reading some of the first reviews, we were very worried. Our kids (aged 13 and 16) had never been anywhere so this was their very first trip. I'm rating this hotel above average because we don't really have much to compare it to. (Our last trip was to Aruba 17 years ago!)

The hotel looked beautiful overall and we had a wonderful time, but we did experience some minor problems. We arrived at 10:30 a.m. but they will NOT give you your room until check in time which is at 3 p.m. so you are pretty much on your own until then. We weren't scheduled to meet with the Sunquest rep until the next day so we were very confused about everything. Once we got our keys, we were given a bad photocopy of a map so we could find our way around. We were supposed to get adjoining rooms with our kids; one king bed in ours and 2 doubles in theirs. Instead we got 2 rooms (not adjoining) with 1 king bed each. We complained but all they brought us was a rollaway cot. The next day we complained even more and thankfully we got our adjoining rooms. We did not get pool or ocean view. Instead we got "jungle view" which was not pretty. We wanted to stay in the swim up pool rooms, but they told us we'd have to pay another $960 which is funny because other families with young children got those rooms and didn't want them! Do not stay in those rooms or rooms on first floor unless you bring one of those mosquito zapper rackets(which was the best thing we brought)! Second floor has fewer mosquitos and third floor even fewer.

Rooms overall were very nice and we never had any problems except the odd bad smell coming from the drain and the toilet clogged once but we had two rooms so we didn't mind that it took the guy a couple of hours to come and unclog it.

Buffet was very good; lots to choose from. You had to make reservations to eat at the other restaurants but I don't know why because they always looked empty. We ate at the Italian restaurant and it was very good.

There was a teen club but we never knew where they were or what they were doing until our second last day so I'm sure we missed out on lots of stuff. Computer room only had four computers so it was hard to get on and email family as there was no time limit as to how long you could stay on. Some people would be on MSN or Facebook and would not care if others were waiting to get on. Best time to go on is in the morning or early afternoon.

Beach was nice and sandy but watch out for glass and also sea urchins that wash up. We found lots of nice shells.

The shows were pretty good but they were only a half hour long. All in all, we got what we expected because we knew what we were getting into. It was beautiful but it was not perfect just yet.

Objective Review

by TripAdvisor Member Maf-sh

Ok. Where do I start. We got home just last night so everything is fresh in my memory.

For those who will be complaining about the resort over and over, keep in mind you HAVE PAID A LAUCHING PRICE TO STAY AT THAT HOTEL. I don't understand how you could have expected so much.

We were lucky because we had a few minor things going wrong (AC not functional the first night but the problem was resolved within 24 hrs). Other then that, everything was OK. some people had more major issues like no hot water, door key not working for 3-5 days, etc.

As the week passed by, more and more things were getting up to speed: rooms were cleaned more regularly, they installed garbage cans, water sports (catamaran for example), internet access. I found that yes, they were lacking experience but as the week went by, we could clearly see that the staff was more up to speed and they were moving fast on the issues.

Right now, the hotel is running more as a 4* and they are getting to 5. So if you are planning a trip there within the next few weeks or say within 2 months, EXPECT SOME FLAWS!!! You have paid the price for it.

We paid 1200 pp, and we were expecting at lot less then what we got. We were very happy with our vacation.

I must agree though with one of the reviews that I read about the size of the resort. There were about 300-500 people on the resort and I have a feeling it might get messy with 1000+ people. There is plenty of pools, but could be a little crammed on the beach side. Espacially that the beach is not super nice everywhere. I would suggest you go there on low season. If you are going anytime soon, be patient with the staff. They are working really hard to make things right.

A lot of restaurant choices and good variety. Very fresh food, freindly and profesionnal staff. Rooms are spacious, clean and modern. Lots of room for everyone on the pool side. If you want a room with direct pool access, I suggest the Grand Riviera Side othewise your pool will be in the shadow so not worth paying extra for that. The site is absolutelly beautiful and enchanting. The disco was lots of fun with a high quality sound system. Evening shows were very professional compared to other resorts I've been but they are inside at the ball room. Don't forget to try their Mango Daiquiri! I all ready miss them.

Site is close to Playa del Carmen (10 minutes by taxi for about 12$). From there you can also take a fery to Cozumel.

Overall, we had an awsome vacation. We would defenetaly go back to that resort butI would wait 6-12 months to get them up to speed.

Hope this helps!

Do not go there

by TripAdvisor Member czikita

We just came back from a 2 week stay at GRP. 3 adults and 16 month old.
We waited for a room 4 h. Then they lost our reservation papers. Front desk staff is not experienced and dishonest!!! The bold, young man with tatoos on his arms was helping us - sorry do not know his name - but stay away from him!!!
Room was only set up for 2 people for our entire stay.
Did not get a crib, got a playpen on a 2nd day and after many calls from us. Our keys stoped working after 10 days.
Tons of mosquitos-do not go there with babies! Every child there got lots of bites!!!
Toilet pluged 2 times and had to wait >24h for service. Hot water was yellow.
Very little closet space or shelving, one drawer. Nice decor.
Water or drinks replenished only once and had to ask for it.
Buffet: good, clean food, lots of variety. Did not go to any restaurants as one has to wait in a line to book, cannot call to book. Never got sick. Good high chairs for children.
Extremely poor, slow service at the buffet. Friendly however. One has to wait for a long time for a hot tea or milk. Not many waitress know english-so just you know-it was not my expectation but it made it difficult to get for eg. milk in a small cup for a baby.
Huge minus-no buffet or snack bar at the beach. Resort is huge so if you cannot walk a lot - do not go there.
Pools wonderfull. Only one is heated-closest to the beach.
Lots of chairs and beach towels.
Bech beautiful but not as nice as in Cancun. Palms, shade, no huge waves, can see some fish snorkeling from the beach.
Bus to Playa del Carmen 2 times a day from hotel at first was free. Now I think 5$/person?
We rented a car for 80$/day from the hotel. Went to Cancun, Hel-ha and Ex-Caret. beautiful parks. Snorkeling the best at Hel-Ha.
Entertainment very good. Showes at 9:30 daily, also an OK live band outside buffet and some other performances. Disco for children-good.
Overall I would never go back to this hotel mainly due to mosquitos and very poor service. Most likely that will improve in a few years. Now, it looks like, staff is taking advantage of nobody knowing what's going on. Stayed at 4 other hotels in Cancun and no comparison. Riu Cancun, I liked the most.
We never got a bottle of tequila per week or beach party/week also and it was promised to us.

Nightmare! Stay Away, Re-Book Somewhere Else Now!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member LennoxMontreal

DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE WHO SAY THIS IS A GREAT PLACE...IT IS NOT!!!! We just got back January 1st, 2008. Worst vacation ever!! The services are virtually none-existent. We switched rooms 3 times in 7 days, each worse that the previous. Do you want your kids playing around live electrical wiring, doors falling on you, a shower that smells like pee, overflowing public toilets and an sewer smell while you sit by the pool, enjoying the drink that took you 1/2 hour to get, while swatting mosquitoes??? This is what you get at the Princess Grand Riviera/Sunset. We read the reviews here before going too, and thought we can deal with some of their growing pains...it is far worse than people are saying here. During the New Year night supper our waiter told us we could have more wine and water only if we put money in his hand!! The red wine is un-drinkable, and you pay $50 US for their best wine a 2006 vintage. People were lining up to complain everyday, some with bags packed to move to other hotels.
This hotel should not even be open!!! STAY AWAY, re-book somewhere else now. We did not speak to a single person who enjoyed their stay here, I do not who is writing these reviews. The Princess organization should be ashamed of themselves!

Worst Resort Outthere , A Rip Off And Nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member badprincess

Hi Guys , i just got back (literally 4 hours ago) from the riviera Maya 5 star princess resort (27-12-07 /01 -03-08) , and the first advise i can give you is to cancel (pay a penalty if you need to ) and go elsewhere , the proper description for this place Horrible , i wont even know where to begin , but here are some of the main issues

building looks like a 5 star resort , actually its massive, so big that it looks empty and everything looks the same

Rooms look like an Ikea display , and no view (don't be fooled by their platinum package ocean front.

beach is dirty, water is dark , and filled with rocks , in one week there was 3 accidents that we know (ambulance involved)due to rocks and glass on the beach)

Food , well they have several restaurants (about 7 or 8) with different menus , but they all look the same , white walls , cheap tables and chairs , and you will get a table at one of them if you are very lucky, you need to walk to the main lobby and make a reservation with the so called concierge between 12 and 2 , but you will have a better chance finding a cure for cancer , each restaurant allows about 6 to 10 tables per night , meaning that in a resort with 1200 or so rooms you will end up eating the same fried crap at the buffet every night, hoping that a waiter notices you and brings you a beer ,a coke or cofee (if you order coffe to your room in the moring its 5$ for 2 cups)

Service , none , the staff is totally careless and wont help you in any way (funny enough , even if you tip them)

from main lobby , buffet etc to the beach a 15 minutes walk , there is several pools , they are ok, but if you are of a cerain age or overweight good luck getting out of most them, they have no stairs, you need to push yourself out of the pool

when i first checked in , the room was stil dirty from the previous clients , they only managed to bring towels and change my sheets by midnight , then we did not hear from their cleaning service for 4 days and after many phone calls to the careless front desk , also very hard to find clean towels

I can say that they ruined our familly vacation and new years party (and I'm not the only one complaining about this issues, every single person we meet at this resort had similar or same problems , you can walk in the lobby at any time and hear clients freaking out about everything)I could go on for hours about this rip off, so i decided to open in the next few weeks a web site posting more pictures and details about this resort , hopefully people will have a chance to pick another one on time. the URL will be

www.rivieramayaprincessresort.com and www.mexicoprincessresort.com

Good Luck and i recommend resorts closer to tulum (water is much nicer, email me for additional questions, will be glad to help

Not a 5 stars hotel now. Stay away!

by TripAdvisor Member CYBERnard

Note : english is not my primary language. Sorry for my english in advance.
Been there from dec 20 to jan 3rd. All lazygal said is true. Lots of problems with this hotel.
Keep in mind this thing: you have presently a 3.5 hotel (services, facilities and customers-style) in a decor of a 5 stars. Reason : Sunwing made aggressive deals for this hotel (1000$ Can for one week in christmas). Sorry if you normally like 5 stars hotels, this one is not a 5 stars right now. Too much "3 stars" customers there right now. (not all...) and all the problems. Princess want to full the hotel regardless customer-type. The 5 stars chart is from Princess hotels, not tour operator...
This huge hotel was build in only 11 months. So a lot of construction problems. That's why a lot of people reports problems with rooms (no AC, yellow water in bath, shower water evacuation problem and more)
Positive :
Hotel, site ans rooms are beautiful. All restaurants are indoor. Another good point, wireless high speed hotspot on all the site (riviera side). Safebox is huge enough to have a laptop. Bars in lobby.
Negative:
Mosquitos. A lot! This problem is not only for this hotel but a regional problem.
Staff hotel at desk : they lie to customers and tour operator representative. A lot wait 4 hours to have a room.
Lot of staff with no experience who know a few words in english (security and room staff speak only in spanish by example).
Not enough staff. First week was ok because the occupation of the hotel was 25%. The second week (after christmas), hotel loose control. Too much customers for the unexperience staff. You can wait 2 hours for a soup in a "a la carte" restaurant (it happen very often). Customers serve themselves wine (waiters loose control).
Swiss restaurant is a fiasco. They closed it after 2 nights. Chef cannot make cheese fondue (the main meal)!
This hotel is dangerous also. Lots of opened electrical wires on the floor with sprinklers very close. Keep and eye on your kids near that!
Room service? Nearly inexistant. No shampoo, soap, towels sometimes so you will serve yourself in the staff service room (a lot of customers do that! It's the only way to have beers and sodas in the fridge). Don't let this in your room : money in your pants, cigarettes, lighter etc It will disapear by magic! So i never tip anymore the room staff...
That's enough. Will post pictures in a another post. So if you are searching a 5 stars, and looking for a great beach, avoid this hotel.

The management of this resort is not serious.

by TripAdvisor Member alberto28

We were a party of four that sojourned at the Princess for 2 weeks. On arrival, difficulties to obtain one of the two rooms; when they were obtained, one room had a leaky ceiling. To change room was an hassle almost as if we were asking for charity. During our stay, we had difficulties with room service, the towels were not available when requested, I had to wait till the next day once to get some towels, and this despite phone calls from the hotel asking if I had received my towels!

As to the water in the bath tub, it was orange and rusty; all the staff could tell us, was to let the water run, the rust would
go away, as if the clients were the ones responsible to do the water testing. All this in a five star hotel.

The water in the shower could not
evacuate properly in the drain, as the slope was on the wrong side, with the results that the water was ending on the bathroom floor, with some evacuated in the adjacent toilet area. We had to put towels next to the shower door to stop the water, and more importantly avoid slipping on the floor. Remember we are in a 5 star hotel with a 5 star price tag.

The stock rooms for staff attending to the rooms were in a complete mess, the doors which should have been locked were wide opened , each stock room was smelly ; in the staff bathrooms were piles of USED toilet paper lying on the floor - all this in a five star resort. You may ask what were we doing in those rooms? Replenishing stocks of soap, towels when they were available.

With regard to the restaurants requiring a reservation, it was an absolute joke, I will speak of one experience only ; we went to the Swiss restaurant January 2nd, they had no staff, clients were handling the service themselves; client coming in were turned back after awhile, a total mess. As to the swiss fondue, it turned out that neither the cook nor the staff could melt the cheese; we ended up eating the vegetables served with the fondue, but without the cheese. To make matters worse, after waiting about 75 minutes to be served,a party of 6 or 8 Spaniards walked in and were served immediately. When this was reported to one of the staff, all he could say was that they had received instruction to serve these people immediately.

With regard to the public toilets, they were often without proper toilet paper, blocked, water overflowing on the floor and it was obvious that the staff was inexperienced and there was no supervision whatsoever. This comment would apply pretty well throughout the facilities as it was clear the organization of work was poor with a flagrant lack of coaching and supervision.

As to the Concierge, the service was more like a one star hotel, there was always a lineup at the concierge desk, only one person to handle the clientèle and somehow, that person was spending most of his time on the phone trying to book or make some arrangements, remember we are in a 5 star hotel.

I went to the reception desk a couple of times, but all they could tell me was that the hotel had just opened and this was normal; I insisted that one can put up with some problems in a new hotel, but if you claim you are a 5 star hotel and the client pays for it, they have a responsibility to deliver. Unfortunately, whenever the discussion became somewhat animated, the staff could not understand French or English any longer.

One cannot blame the Mexican staff for their lack of training, this is not their responsibility, but it is the responsibility of upper management and ultimately the operators to make sure the clients receive what they should be expecting to receive in a 5 star hotel.

After awhile, we noticed even the clientèle was not 5 star any longer, we surmised they were booking clients at half the price we had paid to get clients, a situation that is not professional nor acceptable for a so-called 5 star hotel and particularly for those who paid the full fare.

I am not familiar with the professionalism of Princess as operators, but looking at the number of hotels they manage and perhaps own, these people should know better and not take the clients for granted. This type of situation is not only bad for this resort, but for others in the area.

All in all, it was obvious the hotel management was absent, we had the feeling the staff was on its own, with no supervision or coaching evident in most places. The only time we believe we saw some SENIOR management staff was at the New Year's party, when we saw a bunch of what appear senior people sitting at a table and enjoying the evening. I sincerely hope they enjoyed themselves more than people who had to wait unreasonably long to be served, as somehow we were one of two tables that was two services behind the others. Incidentally, we were sitting next to the senior management table.

This is a resort I do not recommend to anyone for quite some time to come and until they bring back some of the frustrated clients that sojourned at the resort AT THEIR COST, repeat at their cost , to attest that the appropriate changes have been made and the staff has been properly trained.

One last word of advice, I would strongly recommend to the senior management of this resort that they be more visible and not afraid to show some customer care, which was not the case in this instance.

Virgin of Guadalupe processionVirgin of Guadalupe procession

TulumTulum

Carribean BananaCarribean Banana

Sunrise at Playa.Sunrise at Playa.

Places to stay and things to do

by freedom50

Has anyone stayed at the Playa Kaan Condominiums? Is there yoga and or meditation classes available in Playa?

Re: Places to stay and things to do

by YVRDave

Lots of New Age or Old Age stuff. Haven't seen Playa Kaan but it is on 15th Ave so it is a the busy North South street. 2 blocks to 5th Ave, a great walking street with shops and restaurants.
You are probably close to Wal-Mart and MegaStore(favored) for groceries. Mega has a good wine selection too. 2003 Barolo for $30

Comments