Grand Sunset Princess

PMTourist's Profile Photo

Unacceptable Treatment and Theft

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 30, 2014

Couldn't wait to travel to Mexico. Just returned from 6 days at the Grand Sunset Princess Hotel in Riviera Maya (July 2014). We booked the all inclusive package through Apple Vacations. Luckily members of the Apple Vacations staff was on-site at during this time. The property itself was beautiful and amazing - yet SO disappointing. We arrived at 10 a.m. but check-in wasn't until 3 p.m. We explored the property and didn't mind waiting. However, when we tried to check in, among many others who flew in on this package, our room wasn't ready. They told us to wait "10 more minutes" several times. Around 4:30 p.m. we received our keys and finally went to our room. The room was very damp and the mildew smell was so bad...like cleaning out an attic with 50 year old moldy and mildewy forgotten treasures. The beds felt cold and damp and there was a disgusting suspicious white stain on the desk chair. It was nasty. After trying to convince the desk person how bad it was they finally gave us another key to check out a different room. When swiped the key to the door of the new room, and people were already in there! We just walked right in on them, how embarrassing. By this time, we went to one of the Apple Reps, Daniel Rivera, to see if he could help since we were exhausted and emotionally drained at this point. He was SO helpful and went to the front desk with us to try to rectify the situation. Daniel was able to help us get a new room, but the hotel desk person let us know that this was the last room available. So we pretty much better like it. Luckily the new room was nice and satisfactory, the this whole experience put a bad taste in our mouth. Except for the front desk people, the rest of the staff were hard working pleasant people. We also had an incident where my adult daughter was going back to the room of some friends she met and their family after the "disco" one night. It was about 2 a.m. Apparently "non-platinum" guests are not allowed to enter the "platinum areas or rooms" even with a platinum guest. The staff (or security - no one knows for sure) stopped her and actually pushed her back. Needless to say my daughter and her friend were upset and started heading toward the "non-platinum" area where our room was. The staff continued to follow them and they were actually frightened. Some words were exchanged and the "staff" put my daughter's friend in handcuffs. My daughter ran to our room because she was frightened and they chased her to the room. She started screaming for me to open the door. I did and she ran in and I saw 2-3 people approaching my door so I closed it quick. My daughter was hysterical and crying and so scared. A minute later I heard knocking at my door telling me something in Spanish and to open my door. I couldn't understand and had no idea what was going on was frightened. They kept knocking and telling me to open the door. Finally someone rang my phone and told me to open the door and that the general manager was out there. I took a deep breath and opened it and someone identified himself as the general manager and a few others standing with him. He told me he called the police and they were coming to take my daughter! I'm panicked of course and tried to find out what was going on! He said she tried to enter the "platinum area" which is not allowed, and that she was screaming and crying outside and disturbing "his" guests and he will not have that. She tried to explain that she was upset because she was scared and that they were following them. He kept saying he already called the police so i had to BEG him LOUDLY out in the hall not to take my daughter. Finally he said if he has to come back to the room again it will be the police we talk to and not him. They left and we were petrified. My daughter called her friends parents room and told them what happened, and to let us know when they find out what happened to her friend who they put in handcuffs. We left the resort 3 hours later. We just found out that this same "group" extorted her friend out of his expensive watch and they proceeded to the friends' family's room and demanded money so that their son doesn't go to jail. The other family cut their vacation short and left the next morning and we are still waiting to find out more information. Apparently this kind of sketchy behavior goes on behind the scenes and who can you tell about it? I am glad my daughter did start screaming and running from them, because who knows where they would have taken her. I'm still sick to my stomach and I have a whole new opinion about traveling to Mexico. I would never recommend this resort to anyone that I cared about. How many other people did this happen to? What could have been an amazing vacation turned into a disgusting waste of money and bad memories. Thanks Grand Sunset Princess - Riviera Maya! I will spend my hard earned money in the USA from now on.

Stay away: there are thieves!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 29, 2014

It was recommended by family member who had a vacation in Princess in 2008. These time their experience was great besides one unpleasant event with their teenage daughter: her make-up was stolen from the room.
Regardless we decided to give a shot. And how wrong we were! Apparently THEFT is common thing in this hotel.
The day before our check out, 24th of November, we decided to experience the hotel's guarded, private with additional fee beach. The service was good, drinks were at least drinkable. In the end of the day we decided to walk along the beach. Of course we left all our stuff on the beach beds. We been in Mexico resorts numerous of times and never had a lost items.
When we came back from our walk, all our belongings were on the sand, and my photo camera was missing. I found one employee, he said did not see my camera. He suggested to come back tomorrow when beach manager will be on duty. Tomorrow, 25th of November, came, I talked to beach manager, I talked to hotel manager: they said nothing been returned. Weird thing: none of them were even concerned of theft event. None even tried to attempt to find who was working that day, none questioned the staff. Simple "no, we are sorry" - it's what I got instead of honest investigation.
That camera was a precious gift from my child on own earned money. Plus all our pictures are gone. I am afraid to find out where all our pictures may appear in internet.
Another disturbing thing in the Princess: bad, really bad food and alcoholic drinks that impossible to drink. They tasted like someone added a fruit shampoo there. Whole beach (free one) was packed with merchant tents. They stay right between beach beds and the sea. If you want to go to ocean, you need to pass by all aggressive solicitors.
Some good things: friendly attentive staff, very clean rooms, gorgeous landscaping.

lock your valuables!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 22, 2011

This area in Mexico is fabulous, but this resort is just alright. The rooms were clean...though we did have some ants and a cockroach in our rooms. Although the "do not disturb" is written in several languages, including Spanish, the maids tend to disregard it after about 10am and come clean anyway. Unfortunately, my boys failed to lock up their ipod touches thinking that no one would disturb their room with the sign up. We came back to a clean room with 2 missing ipods. Upon packing up, we also found various other things, like clothing, missing. The management refused to investigate, or even make a note of our complaint since we were checking out. Apparently, if you complain early in your trip, they will supposedly investigate. My advice, don't leave anything you care about unlocked, even if you are not expecting the maids to clean your room. Each room does have a lockbox. We have vacationed in various locations throughout Mexico and have always been fortunate to return home with our electronics elsewhere. Lastly, electricity in the units is controlled by a key card...a nice green idea. When you leave, you must take the card, and therefore, cannot waste electricity. Unfortunately, since all the electricity is controlled by the key card, you cannot charge things while you are out enjoying the pool...and everytime you leave, the bedside alarm clock is reset to midnight...make sure you bring a watch! Lots of mediocre food, and a little bit of great food. Sailing was fun. The free snorkling is a joke, and you have to pay$ 35 for 45. minutes if you want to see the reef. If you want to buy souvenirs, definitely go into playa because the prices on site are double. The shows were entertaining, but you might want to plan your activities in advance. Certain things like use of the sport courts, are limited to planned tournaments... you can't just go kick a ball around whenever you feel like it. Several guests smoked. Though smoke-free rooms are available, you will be exposed to secondhand smoke elsewhere in the resort at times. This resort is a great value if you have never been to the caribbean, or are on a strict budget, want unlimited food and alcohol, and don't mind some of the above annoyances. If you are more discerning, look elsewhere. Despite the fact that the webpage says only 4 pools are for children, they are welcome everywhere.it is a family friendly resort for the mostpart.

Unique Quality: If you are willing to walk to the end of the property, you will be rewarded with a very private part of the beach.

mexican wonderland

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 20, 2010

amazing trip. Beautiful weather. Very clean grounds and rooms. We stayed in the Villa Lagunas from sept 13 to the 21. We had our own pool as well as special spot on the beach. We only ate at the buffets but they always had something for everyone. Highly recommended

Unique Quality: only 14 dollars into play del carmen (5th avenue) great shopping but you better be a good barginer ;)

Directions: 10 min from playa del carmen

88Starflite's Profile Photo

New And Nice

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 24, 2008

Their prices are very good, hard to find a better value, and the hotel is very clean. The all inclusive food and drink are good though the food could be a little better.

Unique Quality: The pool, it's really about four large pools and some smaller ones, is very large.

steph_466 May 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

We as a group of 29 traveled from calgary to cancun on April 17-May 1. The group package was bull. They told us 20% discount at the spa, the spa wouldn't do more than 15%. On the flight down there it was a mess we were told there was a place to put my wedding dress, true but it was just an over-head compartment jammed in with 5 other brides dresses. We were at the front of the plane and no one helped us get our dresses to get off the plane but some young boy sitting close to them. *Thanks sunwing* We were supposed to get free flights for the size of our group. Didn't know this until we were already there so it didnt happen either. As a bride I would say stay away, this place is huge, there is nothing special about your day. In the two weeks we were there probably close to 20 wedding. We were promised a cocktail patry (private) and dinner it was a fight, we got drinks off the bus, they said that was our cocktail party..and the dinner I gave up fighting for. Oh and the princess gift was a set of white towels. We got a free room upgrade because we were the bride and groom, and also one for the group package, only difference for our room and everyone elses was a jet tub they wouldnt honor the second upgrade. The honeymoon package for our second week was neat on the three days out of the week they remembered to do it. I could keep going on but I think you catch the drift. Brides be warned!

Nearby Grand Sunset Princess

• Grand Sunset Princess Resort
  • Grand Sunset Princess Hotel
  • Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
  • Grand Sunset Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen

Address: Playa del Carmen 77710, Puerto Juárez, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico

5 Photos of Grand Sunset Princess

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Playa del Carmen Travel Forum

Need advice about Playa del Carmen, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Playa del Carmen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Playa del Carmen hotel reviews

DIY daytrip-Tulum, Akumal, Yalku
Travel from the airport
Ferries to Cozumel
Transportation
Buyers Beware....I was lied to and ripped off
Do not go!
INCREDIBLE!!!
Luxury Snorkel, Fishing, High Dive, Karaoke Tour
Car rental and Driving in Playa del Carmen
Walk along the beach
Portal Mayan bronze sculpture
Parque Fundadores
Things to Do
The main area of tourist activity
Colonial Town Valladolid
Ik Kil Cenote
Chichen Itza
Things to Do
Streets with no name or number
Aero Feninco - Parking