KM 95, Carretera Cancun Tulum, Kantenah, , Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Hidden Beach Resort - Au Naturel Club

Great hidden beach!!

by taryn21

There's a great beach, less than 30 mins north of PV called Punta Mita. Hard to find though, since you have to drive down a very steep, rocky path to get to it. But it's worth it! Almost no people, amazing views, and gorgeous seashells!!

The Trip From Hell

I want to tell everyone that I can about Hidden Beach Resort. My wife and I were guests at this resort last October. The Karisma Resort Company had issues with there collection company they hired. I ended up paying for a trip twice, I now am filing litigation to recover my funds. This one week trip cost us over $10,000. We were held hostage by John the manager until I paid for my weeks vacation again, we almost had to contact the US Consolate to be released all because of there errors. My wife was in tears and absolutley terified and refuses to return not only to Hidden Beach but to Mexico. This properity should be avoided at all cost.

HBR...you MUST go

this will be our 2nd time at hidden beach resort. the 1st was great. a little nervous, but after changing (nude) and walking to our swim up suite, you knew paradise was right here at hidden beach. we spent our first 2 days poolside, sunbathing and swimming. if your a swimmer like marie and myself, the pool is refreshing. we arrive at hidden beach 7/15/05 and staying thru to 7/30/05. just think, two weeks of nothing to wear...we are ONLY taking two carry-on bags with us. the service (room service) is great, the restaurant clean, food is very good. the beach is excellant, moonlight walks along the beach is beautiful.....the staff at hidden beach is the BEST, we had breakfast room service each morning, marie and I would lounge on our swim-up suite while the staff would bring your breakfast to you. if you choose an au-natural resort, hidden beach is where to go. in closing, you will get the tan of your life. if your going 7/15/05 thru 7/30/05 love to hear from you.

"bareness is beautiful"
keith and marie

Our Time In Paradise

My wife and I just returned from our long weekend in paradise last night. We spent 4 nights at the Hidden Beach Resort near Playa de Carmen, Mexico. Hidden Beach Resort(HBR) is an Au Natural resort. We are veterans of Negril, Braco, Haulover Beach, and the former Caribbean Reef Club. We will be returning to Hidden Beach Resort as soon as possible.

We booked through a special directly with the resort and after rather long wait through Mexican customs, the efficiency and hospitality of the HBR staff was much welcomed. We had booked the fabulous swim up room(more later) and had a problem getting that room. We were placed in the upstairs room for one night with the promise of moving downstairs in the morning. The move was made for us with an apology letter and offering of a private lobster dinner by the beach that was perfect for celebrating our anniversary. I am not hard to please, this was above and beyond what I expected for that minor inconvenience. The dinner was one of the most romantic evenings ever, my wife and I felt like we were on the Travel Channel or Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

The rooms were nicely appointed, spirit dispenser and stocked fridge helped if you wanted a cocktail while waiting for your wife to get ready. The AC in our room had issues but we were never uncomfortable. The swim up rooms were amazing. Swim to breakfast and dinner, swim back for a break from the sun, it was super convenient. I didn't think it would be worth the extra money, but I would highly recommend it!

The staff at HBR was top of the line. They learned and knew your name right away and made sure you were happy 24/7. Tito the head bartender and Dulce the activities director were better than any cruise ship personnel I have ever experienced. The drinks were top shelf and always flowing, and the food was outstanding. Order whatever and as much as you want. The seafood was to die for! My lobster at the private dinner (which would have been extra) was caught the night before and was the best I have ever ate. The disco was small but with only 42 rooms, didn't have to be too big. It did get hot and the floor very slippery, more fans or pipe some AC into the area would be a good idea.

The beach wasn't the nicest beach, but the pool more than made up for the beach. You also have access to the El Dorado facilities next door (have to be clothed though) and their beach is much nicer. If you have seen pictures of the beach beds and thought "sleazy" so did we before we arrived. Anything but! They provided a wonderful escape from the sun and a great place to catch an afternoon nap. At night they provided a romantic spot, watching the lightning far off at sea or the thousands of stars that were visible (being an hour away from the lights of Cancun - you felt you were inside a planitarium show with the stars).

Now, for those of you questioning Au Natural. It's not everyone's idea of fun, but it is amazing to hear the stories of people who have tried it once and will never go back. We also took a little excursions next door to El Dorado, it was also a beautiful resort. The "attitude" of the people were different though. No one was talking and socializing. At HBR - people I have never met before feel like close friends now. Again, that's something you have to experience. I am not really a people person on vacation, but being clothing free - everyone is at ease talking and having a great time. We all dinned together and did activities together. Some of the best pool volleyball I have ever played! And no you don't have to look like a super model to do this type of vacationing. Ages ranged from 30's to 60's while we were there.

All in all, this was one of the best vacations we have ever taken. I am already saving my pennies to return next summer.

Hurricane Wilma

My wife and I were at Hidden Beach Resort from Oct.15 through the 20 when we were evacuated because a nasty woman named Wilma was coming our way.
What an experience. Our time at HBR was incredible. The rooms were nicely appointed, very clean, the bed comfortable, the view great. Hot water was in abundance (unlike some other resorts we've been to). The resort itself was well groomed, the pool area chaise lounges comfortable enough to sleep in, the beach well kept.
The food was a gourmet experience. Nightly dinners were works of art. There are menus for perusal on the HBR website. The service first class. The bar and music choices need some work, but everything else was first rate. Claudia, Dulce, Tito, Galdino, Edwin, Dorota, Jonathon, John the list goes on.. were every bit as professional and helpful as any staff member from any other 5 star resort we've stayed at. Any request we had was addressed and taken care of as if we were members of their own family.
On Wednesday, as the storm approached, Ruben (the GM) and John Aquino (Village Chief) called a meeting for the guests of HBR in the disco and informed us that there was a possibility that if it intensified, we might have to be evacuated as a safety precaution. Thursday morning, another meeting (this one at ElDorado) with all guests from both resorts in attendance. We were told that Wilma had gone from a Category 1 to a 5 overnight, and we were to be evacuated. The care we received was phenominal. Jonathon, Ana, Nanda, and Francisco accompanied us to the Gran Bahia Principe, made sure we were checked in smoothly. DURING THE STORM, all four of those wonderful people were out delivering food (box lunches) and litres of water to all the HBR and ElDorado guests at great personal risk.
And always with a smile.
I will gladly be a guest at HBR anytime (except for hurricane season..once was enough) they will have me.

Awesome in every respect

Charles and I have just spent another awesome week at Hidden Beach Resort, about an hour south of Cancun in Playa Del Carmen. As far as we are concerned, the week was perfect in every respect.

The room we had (1112) was one of those with the tower...and in the morning and evening when the sun hit those glass panels, it was a site to behold. On our bed as towel decorations, all with flower petals...a heart, then a bunny rabbit, then a floppy eared creature and finally a peacock.

As with our December visit, we ate all but one meal at the resort. There is such good food and the presentations are lovely. There just seemed to be no need to "dress" and go to El Dorado for a meal.

The one exception to going to a meal was a great evening with members of the Exotic Travel Group at our first gathering as a group. We went to The Cave in Playa Del Carmen proper, and you would really be impressed as to what can be done with a dead river bed, along with some great food.

The covered pool is not yet open. When the test was run some time before we got there, it was discovered that there wasn't enough power to run that and the resort. So, I guess they go to plan B. But there seems to be something wrong with this picture -- does one go to Hidden Beach just to be in the shade? We don't -- can get the same thing at home. We go to have fun in the sun.

We did the snorkel trip again...there is a new boat –a catamaran -- with lots more room. As with our last visit in December, there was lots of fun being with a great group of guests.

While there I celebrated my 63rd birthday...had some special things -- three bottles of champagne and from the staff, three small birthday cakes...one with Happy Birthday in Spanish and one in English...apparently the word was spread as many of the staff as well as many of the guests gave me good wishes. It was quite a humbling experience -- full of memories for years to come.

We did the “feed the fish” several times. Once when I was getting into the water to feed them, and in a sarong, the wind caught it and Charles said 'It's a boy" which cracked up the crowd. Shortly thereafter I stumbled and made one of those graceful splashes in the water -- and exposing the rear view. When I decided to get out, one of the ladies said to grab your camera, he is getting out. Again, everyone laughed...it sure was a sight to be seen.

As with our December visit, El Dorado next door continued to be as cold as ever.

If everything holds, we plan on returning in December, sometime between the 1st and the 15th.

This resort rapidly going downhill!

Notice to all Naturalists Beware of Hidden Beach!
My wife, another couple and I have just returned from our 3rd year visiting Hidden Beach. This report is being written because of multiple problems we had during this years trip to Mexico. Between the four of us we have visited most of the major "clothing optional" resorts in Mexico, the Caribbean, and the U.S.
Before I start with the problems and to be fair with the resort I would like to say what we liked about this years trip:
1. The food was excellent and the staff worked their tails off even though they were understaffed with waiters.
2. The grounds were kept up and groomed daily.
3. Even though there was only one girl (Esperenza) taking orders for drinks at the pool and beach see did an excellent job.
4. Tito (the bartender) was his usual fun and efficient bartender.

NOW FOR THE PROBLEMS:
1. Not only did our air conditioner work poorly and leaked water, but the other couple joing us found their air conditioner did not work at all and had to be moved to another room. We talked to at least 2 other couples while there and found this to be an ongoing problem with their rooms also, along with doors that would not work properly or not latch, power failures and dvd players that did not work at all. Overall the upkeep of the buildings and equipment has been declining noticeably since the resort opened.
2. There was one group of people who started pounding down drinks and became drunk, loud and obnoxious by noon. Not only did we complain but several other couples did also. The resort management did nothing about this until a fight almost broke out in the pool area a couple of days later. The noise was so bad by 2:00pm that many couples retired to the hot tub just to get away from this group only to be run from the hot tub when they decided to "join in the fun". This group would return to the hot tub late at night and party loud untill 2:00am in the morning keeping every one up who was unlucky enough to have a room near the hot tub. The pool staff and bartenders actually encouraged the excess drinking.
3. A small group of "swingers" was allowed into the resort. We saw or heard from other couples around us of couples "doing it" under blankets on the beach, couples being "hit upon" to join in for some partner swapping, and the disco became the site for their lewd behavior one night to the extent that most of the couples chose to leave. Again the management was made aware of this and did nothing about it or chose to ignore it. Several couples tried to make the point to the management that this is a "clothing optional" not a "swingers" resort.
The only conclusion we came up with as a group is that the clientele who used to visit "The Caribbean Reef Club" (now out of buisness) are either coming to Hidden Beach or Desire resort. The management of Hidden Beach never go over the behavior rules with It's guests when they check in and simply wait for problems to arise. There are no security people making a presence at the beach and pool area (other than the one at the fence between Hidden Beach and El Dorado).
4. When the couple who came with us tried to make arrangements for a shuttle bus to get to the airport they were told the phone call to Apple Tours was "long distance" and were charged $10.00. Three days later we went to the concierge at El Dorado to have the same call made to Apple Tours and was not charged a fee. This shows a lack of customer service by the mangagement at Hidden Beach.
5. My wife and I requested a delayed checkout (12:45pm) and were told we would be charged $10.00 per hour past noon even though the resort was only half full at the time. We have since talked to a couple we met who were given until 3:00pm to check out with no charges, (again showing the lack of customer service and arbitrary enforcement of resort rules by the management).
The manager of this resort (John) always showed concern to the problems as the groups of people complained, however we all found he would tell each couple who were complaining that "this is the first I've heard about this problem and it will be dealt with immediately." Of course nothing was done until the problem manifested itself to a boiling point.
As a group we are sad to have to writ a report like this because Hidden Beach is a unique resort in a beautiful location. It is a shame the management and ownership of this wonderful resort have chose to neglect the buildings, and allow inappropriate behavior by it's guests.
Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions. Please title your e-mail: Hidden Beach questions.

Loved HBR

This was our second time to visit Hidden Beach. We were there June 13-21, 2005 with a group called the Rowdys. The resort is small only 42 rooms, but this way you will be able to meeet and talk with all guest. The service was excellent, no complaints. The food was well above average, no buffets...ala carte. Top shelf liquior, service prompt at the bars. The menu at night was ala carte, portions adequate, served hot and in timely manner. The pool is small but has a swimup bar. On the beach, are about 12 palapas ( beds with thatched roofs) great to relax under and listen to the waves. The ocean here is not swimable due to lots of coral. The resort was well maintained. The rooms were average, mexican tile on floor, liquior cabinet on wall, refrigerator stocked daily with cerveza, water, and sodas....no drawer space but who needs that anyway. You have 24 hr room service, which is delivered in about 20 min from time order is placed. I have a detailed trip report at -------------------------

Will we go back, YES

Observations and Facts

by TripAdvisor Member carltonbyron

Our visit was Saturday April 30 -May 7, 2005.
Never travel to Cancun Airport on a Saturday afternoon. Time shares in the area rotate on Saturday and the airport immigration can not handle the huge numbers of people.
We used Lomas Travel - private car is highly recommended. $144usd per couple round trip.
Before leaving home call your credit card company and let them know you will be traveling out of the country. We did not and HBR could not get our card approved until we called the credit card company collect to authorize the charges. One card company did not answer their phone. Luckily we had another card that did answer my call. While checking out one guest tried to use Citi Bank traveler checks but HBR would not take them. HBR did take their Citi Band MasterCard. Lomas Travel took our AAA Visa travelers checks for the catamaran boat ride. It depends on who is working the front desk as to what was accepted.
During our visit the power would go on and off but mostly at night. When it did the AC unit would not restart and we would wake up hot and have to restart the AC. When power goes out so does the water.
TV signal was on and off during our visit. Poor signal quality and few channels to pick from.
Bathrooms nice and large. Plenty of hot water except one day. One couple in our group could not get any water flow out of their shower head. Shampoo does not want to come out of your hair or soap off your skin due to the water. Water has a salty taste to it. Bring your own soap. Bottled water in bathroom for your use. Most days we had no wash clothes for some reason. One in our group could not get their room cleaned or fresh towels or wash clothes. We had ants on our bathroom counter everyday.
Rooms nice and large. Beds very, very firm and supplied with four pillows. Drinks in small fridge nice touch but not cold even with thermostat turned all the way up. Thunderstorm one afternoon and our ceiling leaked on both sides of the bed.
Quality of food depended on what you ordered. Lobster every night on the menu but not always good. The evening pasta dish was always very good. Breakfast was good and had normal items with eggs cooked to order. Lunch was offered from the menu or from the pool area grill. Grill served hotdogs, hamburgers, fajitas, chips, french fries, etc. Salsa and guacamole were excellent although they kept running out of chips, plates and sometimes silverware. Banana splits at lunch were very good. Dinner was usually good and would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. We ate Mexican and Asian at El Dorado and both were good but count on 2 to 3 hours for a meal. Dining staff work very hard to please.
Tito at the bar was entertaining and offered good service though strength of drinks varied from drink to drink. Esperenza took drink orders in the pool area and did an excellent job and always had a smile.
Hot tube is nice and large. Jets not working week we were there. Temperature first four day's was 106 and then 101 balance of the week. Pool area is nice with closed cell float pads on most of the lounges and many unbrellas. Most of the time there was plently of towels.
We met and enjoyed the company of some very nice people. The people are what made our vacation. This is a laid back resort so bring plenty of reading material. Resort activities are: 10:am Stretching, 11:am Spanish lessons, 12: noon Aqua Gym in pool, 2:pm water volly ball. There are no water sports from the beach. Wear water shoes anytime you enter the water. If it rains most people go to their room as there is not a place to gather. Once the new pool area opens this will be the place to gather in bad weather. This is a nudist/naturalist resort and PDA is not allowed. Disco is small and not air conditioned and opened around 10:30 every evening.
Most of the resort participated in the Wednesday nude catamaran snorkel adventure. A good time was had by everyone and worth the money.
On the north side they have caged peacocks that like to make nosie most of the night and rooms near the disco tend to be noisy.
Byron and Sherry

Paradise cut short by Wilma

Arrived at HBR 11th Oct.Wasn't sure what to expect as this was our 1st time at such a resort.Upon our arrival we were greeted by a glass of champagne and then Eduardo showed us around the resort & then took us to our room. In the morning we were amazed at the sight we saw before us. HBR is laid out in such a romantic way with the Palapas on the beach(some of them actually swing). The staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble and we soon began to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the resort. During our short stay at HBR we met some extremely lovely people and we are still in contact with them today and even planning a trip away with them next year. The resort wasn't fully occupied, but the service provided by all the staff was absolutely 1st class. There was different entertainment ever night and there was a themed night for the evening meals.Claudia and Dulce were so good with providing us with body painting, aquacise, volley ball, Spanish lessons and encouraging all guests to join in the fun but without any pressure. Even when we were told there was a hurricane on it's way the staff acted in a professional way and still provided a 1st class service. When we were evacuated from HBR the General Manager Ruben was on hand to ensure we were transported to our new destination safely. We have no reservations in recommending this resort to other people. We will certainly be returning to HBR and send our wishes to all the staff and hope that things soon get back on track after "WILMA"

Comments