Hotel Barrio Latino

Calle 4 Norte Entre 10 y 15 Avenidas norte, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico

Barrio Latino Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Posada Barrio Latino

This is a pretty good hotel with clean rooms and ceiling fans. It is very centrally located and is only a few minutes away from the beach. Breakfast is included and there is security 24 hours a day. The Italian owners are extremely friendly and helpful. Overall a good experience.

More about Hotel Barrio Latino

Once again in my lovely Barrio Latino

by TripAdvisor Member Francescamadrilena

I just arrived in the hotel and I knew from the owners that they had just re-opened to fit some problems.
Barrio Latino is still one of the best spots in Playa. Fram from the noisy Quinta and from the not-so-cool and not-so-trendy discos, you can choose Barrio Latino if you want to look for something special. The Calle Cuatro is one of the hidden treasures in Playa. Who knows why, looks like the investors from USA and Europe that are building anywhere in Riviera Maya and in Playa too (next in Tulum) forgot about the Calle Cuatro Norte.
Small Hotels, few and unexpensive Tacos restaurants, Mini Super, Fruterias (fruit), Tortillerias, and anywhere friendly locals living their own life (strange but true in a centric street).
Few steps far from Barrio: La tarraya (fisherman's restaurant since 1968), El fogon (tacos), Avenida Juarez (shops & banks, police station, post office), Terminal "collectivos" (colletive taxis to anywhere), Internet points, Bus terminal, El Paseo and.... THE BEACH!!!!

Go there and feel how Playa was before the growth started ...

Absolutely fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member tomeo01

My friend and I stayed in the hotel Barrio Latino for 9 nights and we loved it. The hotel is centrally located, clean and affordable. The staff is very helpful and they can suggest you some nice places where you can have a nice dinner at a reasonable price. When we were searching for an hotel in Mexico we immediately loved the style of Hotel Barrio latino. The breakfast room is a hut surrounded by palm trees and cactuses. The atmophere is abolutely amazing. You will love it.

Nice place but get the credit card situation straightened out!

by TripAdvisor Member seattleevonne

I enjoyed my time at the Hotel Barrio Latino. My room was nice, clean and the courtyard/breakfast area was pleasant. The staff was helpful. But I also had to pay for my room in cash which I was not expecting after providing my credit card info online. It was inconvenient to have to pay in cash and took multiple trips to the ATM as I had a daily withdrawal limit. I hope they get their credit card situation straightened out.

Nice, quiet place

by TripAdvisor Member ReiseRundt

We stayed at Barrio Latino for three nights in january.
It it a very nice, safe and quiet hotel, with a nice and welcoming staff. Close to 5th street, a short walk to the beach and not far from the central bus station.

The room were clean and airy. Good and silent aircon. Safetybox and a minibar. Great to relax in the hammock outside the room, facing the garden. I guess most of the rooms have garden view.

The breakfast was served in the garden. Kinda normal breakfast you get served in Mexico. Juice, Coffe and a croisant with marmelade.

Yeah......Home away from Home......Enjoy

by TripAdvisor Member Kokomo1959

Well we go to Playa at least once a year, and yup you guessed it, we always stay at our home away from home, Barrio Latino in the heart of Playa. And fortunately this trip we were able to get away for THREE whole weeks. Andrea has created a wonderful place the delivers everything you would ever need for a wonderful stay, very comfortable rooms, excellent staff, ANY information you need is just a question away.

Our room as always was clean and tidy, beds are great, their housekeeping staff are friendly and always smiling, and yeah you cheap skates out their it’s nice to leave a couple of pesos for their efforts. There is A/C and/or a ceiling fan (honestly we have never needed the A/C), a bar fridge, a safe to place all those valuables you bring, your own personal hammock to lounge in, and a spacious washroom. You know it’s funny, I was just reading a prior posting complaining.......” sign posted on the wall to dispose all toilet paper into a waste basket instead”.......OMG is this your first trip to Mexico?......did you NOT read about where you were going? What to expect? EVERYWHERE in Mexico you NEVER flush toilet paper, and we’ve been to both coasts Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Acapulco, Merida, Isle Mujeres, Tullum. This is just how it is in Mexico.

We always find Barrio Latino to be home. At Barrio Latino you are welcomed with warm, informative Owner/Staff, you get a wonderful room, clean and secure surroundings, beautiful garden palapa where you can enjoy a FREE standard continental breakfast, or hook up to FREE WiFi and check your emails, place a FREE call to home and check in on the family, pets or friends. And some silly people complain.......tell me where you can get ALL that for like $ 500.00 pesos a day. You are in the heart of Playa, one street back and you are in the finest LOCAL real Mexican eatery’s, and one block forward you are at the beautiful Caribbean Sea. ENJOY......it’s a great stay to rejuvenate the soul.

Andrea you have CONSISTENTLY provided us with a terrific place to stay....keep up the good work. And for the ones that what to stay at the Taj Mahal........it’s in India, just in case you needed some directions.

Thank you again Andrea.....see ya next year, or hopefully sooner.....oh yeah big kisses to Mafalda and Lola.....okay, okay you and Monica as well.

Best Hotel in Playa del Carmen

by TripAdvisor Member Polishmex

I am writing from my blue room , 2nd floor, at the Hotel Barrio Latino, sitting in my hammock and watching the green garden between palms and cactus trees. The place is quite, clean and filled with guests from every corner i of the world; italians, french, us like california and texas, israel... wifi internet access is great, i got free calls, airconditioning, and a breakfast included in my rate ( I suggest to book via the web page , they have special rates really better then the other sellers) - and in my room I have a king size bed, safe, and a fridge where I put my Coronas for the night. The rooms are no smoking but I can smoke outside. The people here is very, very friendly. I payed using my card ( I was afraid of few comments but I could pay in seconds, no hidden charges). My car is parked outside at no extra cost and watched 24/7 - but the area is safe. At hotel casa tucan they wanted to charge me a 50 pesos/night extra for the car, and breakfast was a la carte : no safe, internet 2 dlls a day : I think this hotel, Barrio Latino, should be really more expensive than the price they ask, but please don't tell them...
They suggest great places where you can eat (restaurants in the area serve fresh fish - or meat - or pasta - at unders 10 dlls/meal). And the entrance to the beach is easy and free.
Putting all together, I am staying as much as I can! I would defintely recommend this place .

Best deal in Playa del Carmen, amazing small hotel

by TripAdvisor Member belcaribe

I spent a week at hotel barrio latino, and I would have liked to stay more.
I spent one night in Cancun, another night in Tulum, and wanted to spend the last week in Playa del Carmen and say hallo to 2009 in a white sandy beach.
I read great reviews about this small hotel and now i am here to write my own and confirm, it is a very good option in a great location.
The beach is very close (you can see the blue caribbean from the moment you turn your head left), and eveything is closer than the distance between an all inclusive hotel reception and the room you could get there, I mean it: two short blocks from the beach, one and a half from the pedestrian string, one from the shuttle terminal, three from the bus terminal, for from the dock to Cuzumel, which means five minutes walk.
Due to the economic specific situation, a Us citizen or a european can enjoy great unexpensive holidays in Mexico, and I did. I could eat lobster at the price of a slice of pizza at home, party all night, have three meals sitting in one of the very clean and unexpensive restaurants of the Old town neighborhood, where people smile and smile again...
But going back to the hotel, I really could enjoy the relaxing atmosphere, friendly service, very (very!) clean rooms with all comforts. I could call for free to Italy, to my friends in Usa, and I don't remember in how many other countries , but the service was a blessing in new Year's day and people there were doing a large use of it ( I never heard of an hotel hotel in the world giving such an extra fo free). Internet wifi access was unlimited and was great too, walking to my room and see people checking emails from their Iphones, their Laps, hanging on the hammocks. A nice mix between modern and ancient mexico!
Breakfast was very good too, fresh croissant and quality coffee among other options of juices and cereals.
In my room I had a safe, a fridge, hairdryier, minislpit a/c, two very comfortable Twn beds, and an amazing view to the tropical garden which as far as I understand mixed palms and cactus that grew in that same place year after year. The hotel isn't new but looks like recently opened,
I enjoied the special toouch in every detail, and I liked the attention they give to get a green concience , with the new bulbs, the policy about towels, water, etc- and I got a kit of products from a mayan village production for free, I am still using at home.
A special thank to all the people at the beautiful barrio latino, i will strongly recommend it to everyone and I will try to go back as soon as I will be able to.

Rescued by the police!!

by TripAdvisor Member silviaaroundtheworld

We chose the hotel as it's in a quiet street - although not far from Av 5. Moreover, the website was very well done and we could book directly with them.

I can actually confirm that the room we staid in was quite nice, anyway the stay (1 night only before end of holidays and flight back to Europe) was spoiled by the AWFUL APPROACH of the management:

1. on arrival we were informed that although I had received from the hotel itself a confirmation for a 44 USD room (as stated on the website and corresponding to the 430 pesos rate I had just heard the receptionist communicate to a turist), WE HAD TO PAY MORE because of "internet services" (clearly this was not stated in the booking). As Playa was empty we threatened to go to another hotel but we were informed that they would charge us anyway the room on the credit card we had given to book. We then decided to stay and further discuss the point with the "senior manager" (not present) the following morning

2. as per normal, we were requested a passport for the check-in and as per normal we were expecting to get it back in 10 mins. Unfortunately we were informed later that the THE RULE OF THE HOTEL WAS TO KEEP THE PASSPORT UNTIL CHECK OUT (whenever it is: if you are in Playa for two weeks, they will keep it for two weeks). Also in this case we had to cmply with the rule as they would charge the credit card anyway

As it was our last night and we were used to totally different standards (we had a very good experience in much cheaper places in Mexico) we GOT PISSED and asked for the intervention of the turistic police which very nicely came with us to the hotel and made the management behave in a more acceptable way (this took them 40 mins at least!!).

If you don't want to have to call the police, if you don't feel comfortable at leaving your passport in the desk of an open reception I'd recommend you to pick a different hotel (hotel Cielo looks very nice and is in an even better location). Also, if you don't want to have issues with the actual rate of the room I'd recommend you just pop by and ask how much it is!

Comments