Hotel Cielo

4th street, between 5th and 10th Ave., Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico
Hotel Cielo
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Hotel Cielo

A perfect place to stay in Playa Del Carmen

by TripAdvisor Member LootBag

From the moment you set eyes on Hotel Cielo, you will know you've discovered something special. After being greeted with a genuine smile, you will be provided with a clean and attractive room. All throughout your stay, you can tell that the folks at Cielo are happy to have you there, and that they take pride in their wonderful little hotel.

Hotel Cielo is perfectly situated within Playa Del Carmen. If you are coming by bus to Playa, Hotel Cielo is only a few hundred metres from the bus station (perhaps even a shorter walk to your room than you might face in a big all-inclusive). The beach is a short stroll down the street (you can do it in your bare feet if you want), and Quinta Avenida (5th Ave) is right outside the front door. You feel like you are in the middle of it all, and you are.

If you are someone who needs silence at night, you will want to ask for rooms at the back of the hotel. There is no annoying noise at night, but the windows are not insulated, and street sounds do get through. We rather liked the sounds of the town at night, but some folks might feel differently (Playa is not an all night party town, so most noise is done by midnight regardless).

Breakfast is included in your room charge (and is yummy), but we should warn early risers that even though the restaurant (Carboncitos) is supposed to serve breakfast from 9AM until Noon, don't count on being fed much before 10:30. Most mornings we found them just starting to put out the tables at 9:30. If you are not going anywhere in a hurry, you will find that the food is fantastic (and highly recommended), but if you have plans for the day, and want to get an early start, you'll want to find a restaruant that starts a bit earlier.

The rooftop lounge is a strange and wondrous thing. The eventual goal is to turn this into a little bar of sorts, but for now it is simply an odd little oasis, a secret known only to those who explore that strange flight of stairs that lead up to the open sky. Have a sneak up there and check out the most zen-like bathroom in Playa.

One of the other great features of Hotel Cielo is Henry Edwardo. Whenever you see Henry, his smile makes you feel like a long-lost friend. Rather than trying to push packages on you, Henry is genuinely interested in you, and it is clear that he really wants you to enjoy your vacation. The front desk staff at Hotel Cielo that we dealt with, both Henry and Michelle, displayed a friendliness that is wonderful to experience.

All in all, we were delighted with our time spent at Cielo, and would recommend it to anyone. If you have never stayed in a non-resort hotel in Mexico, keep in mind that there are things you might find unusual (such as windows that leak when it rains, and slippery stairs, and if you're lucky, the odd gecko sighting), but this is a truly wonderful little hotel, and we are in love.

Hotel Cilelo

by TripAdvisor Member anngee62

We stayed at the Hotel Cielo for a week in February 2008. Overall, it is a nice place with good air conditioning which is needed because there is not much natural ventilation. The rooms are nicely decorated, the water pressure good and hot water plentiful. The best part is the location is the location on calle 4 between 5th and 10th avenida!!! Close to the bus station, the beach the ferry dock and the action! Our room was on the inside, so very quiet most of the time. The balcony rooms might be a little noisy. Internet Cafe by reception desk.
We would probably stay here again, even though it was a little expensive for what we got, mainly because Henry, the concierge, worked very hard and tried to fix everything we didn't like about the place. One thing, don't get the included breakfast, definitely not worth it.

cielo rocks

by TripAdvisor Member kliko82

I know Playa del Carmen very well and its quiet difficult to find a decent place which is not overpriced and located in the center.
The Cielo Hotel is for sure one of the best options.
Not only location-wise and price-wise - the best part of it is the staff. The people who run the show are good looking guys from NYC who like to show their guests a good time and provide them with personalized service.
The roof-terrasse with an amazing oceanview is often used to host partys and events of all kinds. The rooms are decorated with love and have all the necessary facilities (AC, TV, warm water etc).
The beach is a heartbeat away such as the famous fifth avenue.
Being a guest at the Cielo Hotel gives you not only a stressfree accomandation as well you are going to meet incredible kind people and maybe make some real good friends for life!
TWO THUMBS UP FOR THE CIELO!

1 block from the beech

by TripAdvisor Member MrKree

Had a great time at Cielo. One block from the Beech - I could crawl back to the hotel after a hard day of drinking by the turqoise ocean. The staff was great - they pointed me towards all the best clubs in the local scene. I hope i can get back there soon

"SMILE, you're at The Hotel Cielo !"

by TripAdvisor Member NYCisgood4ME

I just returned from my second stay at the Hotel Cielo and feel that I need to let my fellow travelers know how impressed I was ! I'm in the hospitality buisness in NYC and I'm not easily impressed, but this place really put a smile on my face. The warmth and sincerity of the staff and owner, the quality of the food, the service and attention to detail were all top notch. The pasor (pork tacos) are made fresh daily and are to die for ! The staff was kind enough to recommend some excellent restaurants in the neighbor hood and they didn't stir us wrong once. We ened up having most of our meals in the hotel because the menu was extensive and simply delicious ! My hat goes of to all involved in this operation. You guys really captured the essence of a memorable vacation in one of the most beautiful places there is. Hotel Cielo got it going on ! Thanx ! C U next January !

Wonderful service and great location!!!

by TripAdvisor Member michyang

We chose this hotel because of its great ratings and its proximity between the bus stop and the ferry pier to Cozumel. We were only staying in Playa del Carmen for one night because we wanted to go on the Chichen Itza tour before our main vacation time in Cozumel. We flew into Cancun and took the ADO bus to Playa del Carmen for $8 per person.

The reasons why I didn't give it 5 stars are because we had cold showers, our promised wake-up call didn't happen, the linens were stained (but clean), and the internet connection didn't work in our room. We had to go downstairs in order to get connected.

Everything else was wonderful! Henry was there for us from the first e-mail I sent inquiring about an available room! We had 4 adults and received a room with 3 beds! LOVED it! Our balcony faced 4th, but we could also see the corner of 5th, where most of the action is and a partial ocean view.

After we put down our luggage, we were hungry for a late dinner. Henry directed us to El Fogon, a local taqueria. YUM!!!!!!!! If you want cheap and good food, you HAVE to ask the locals what their favorite restaurants are. The nice restaurants that cater to tourists are overpriced and the food is not great.

The hotel architecture and decor gives you the feeling of being in Mexico. The warm colors welcome you home immediately! The Asian-themed rooftop was occupied by a wedding rehearsal reception the night we were there. The bride-to-be told us about a fire show at the beach down the street. Henry might have some discount tickets for you to get into that beach club, too! He had run out that evening so we paid the full $10 cover charge that included 2 beverages. Very cool fire dancing show.

Henry reserved us a Chichen Itza tour for $45 along with our one-night stay. This kind of tour is the way to go since there are none cheaper online. We were picked up by our tour guide and waited for the van to arrive. We enjoyed being in a van instead of a huge bus because we got to know the other English-speaking travelers who went with us. Due to everyone's close proximity, it was natural to carry on conversations about where they were from, etc. I doubt we would have conversed with anyone else if we had gone on a bus.

Went to a souvenir stop, Chichen Itza, buffet lunch, swam in a cenote, and walked around Valladolid. Long day, but very enjoyable.

Henry held our luggage for the entire day until we returned from the tour. He told us to leave our bags in our room and he would have someone bring them downstairs after we leave for the tour. He was even going to give us a room to shower in after our return! When we picked up our luggage that evening, he informed us that all the rooms were full, so he couldn't provide a shower for us. We didn't mind. He then directed us to the ferry pier and off we went to enjoy the rest of our vacation in Cozumel.

CIELO gran hotel, aún mejor para el precio

by TripAdvisor Member stace42971

We had walked by this hotel during one of our trips in October and took a short tour. During this trip we were unable to book a room due to high season, but were able to secure a room on our last night in Playa-Yeah!!!!! Henry Edwardo was so super friendly and welcoming and even taught us a little spanish. Although his english was much better than our spanish. The rooms are very eclectic and clean. I would comment everytime we would walk in about how beautiful the scent was. The decor is unique and it's right off of 5th and just a short walk to a pier. We enjoyed a complementary breakfast in the morning and a fresh squeezed OJ from a vendor at the corner. This place is great and even better for the price.

the best vacation

by TripAdvisor Member CULOOO

in my life a ihad alots of travels but the best time i had in playa del carmen stayngin hotel cielo ,
i been there more 5 times every year i use to go to visit those person working in this hotel. friendly everybody and nice people aronud the hotel.
the best diving i had, the best mexican food at carboncito.
nice experience .. the beach is just in front to the hotel amazing rellay easy to go out i night time, and so quiet if you want to sleep.. try

Wedding Bells Are Ringing

by TripAdvisor Member eatahero

I had the pleasure of visiting this hotel in November, when i got there I met this guy downstairs at the hotels restaurant who was getting married on the roof top garden that same night, we had a few drinks and I told him there was still time to back out but he said he was in love at which point i said go for it, he and his wife then invited me to join the party which was just beautiful, there whole family was just great, the roof top garden was a great place to have there wedding, the view was breathtaking, the food and music were also great. I even met a beautiful girl named Ginger, I told her someday I would love to get married on this same rooftop, she told me not to get any funny ideas, I think she was from NYC, she was not only beautiful but sharp as a whip, I also met this other guy named Hollywood who told me about Manny's and La Familar restaurants, I kept wondering why everybody called him Hollywood, must be a stage name, he also had a sidekick named Birdman who had a this cute parrot with him everywhere he went, his parrots name was Romeo, this guy was a character right out of a pirate novel, he was headed to Havana by boat. Hope he made it???
The staff was also very helpful, Henry the concierge booked me on a few different tours which were the best, I went skydiving one day and scuba diving the next day, what a rush. The food in there restaurant was excellent, I give this hotel two thumbs up ^ _ ^

Loved Playa- Hotel Cielo is a great budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingIsTheBest

Service is great at this hotel. Henry and Michelle are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. The breakfast is very good but be aware early risers...it's served late around 9:30am. The hotel is 1/2 block from the beautiful beach so it's perfect. Save your money by staying at this hotel because you'll need it to rent your lounge chairs and umbrella at the beach from $6-$10/day...depends how well you negotiate with the guys working for the bars right in front of the beach. The location of this hotel is perfect. You can walk to either end of the strip without a problem. Highly recommend trying Rolandi's restaurant. We first ate there in Isla Mujeres and loved it. Then, when we found it at Playa we tried it and it was even better. Great food and prices. Anywhere you stay in Mexico, you'll find the beds to be hard so you can't complain about this. If you're sensitive to noise and light at night make sure to book a room on the inside not facing any of the streets and still take your earplugs and eye mask since they don't have drapes just decorative curtains. Don't waste your time going to Cancun....Playa is the place to be.

Cons:
Henry recommended Tango Tacos restaurant, we tried it and it wasn't good and overpriced and it was away from the nightlife. Also, if you need to get to Cancun airport from Playa and don't have transportation reserved in advanced it's best if you just get a taxi yourself. It'll be cheaper than if you book it thru the hotel. The ride is anywhere from $40-$45 instead of the $55 the hotel will charge you. Also, don't waste your time and money going to Cozumel. The beaches are rocky and if you go to the nicer ones they are still not as nice as Playa's. You'll spend a lot of money in taxis since they don't have buses and to get from the ferry station to the nice end of the island is $14 one way. Instead, take a day trip to Isla Mujeres....there we enjoyed snorkling and North beach was fun and beautiful.

Comments