5th Avenue, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Playa del Carmen

The rope walk within the lagoonThe rope walk within the lagoon

Playa MaromaPlaya Maroma

View of the dockView of the dock

The classic Mayan arch at CobaThe classic Mayan arch at Coba

Please reccomend a good, moderately priced restaurant near 5th Avenue in Playa

by leoinv1

My wife and I will be staying in a resort not far from Playa Del Carmen. We want to take a taxi to 5th Avenue, walk around and have some Mexican food. I have been to Playa before (I love this town). Obviously, there are lots of restaurants along 5th Avenue, but wanted to get people's recommendations on the good one since some of these restaurants are the typical tourist traps (bad food, high prices).

Re: Please reccomend a good, moderately priced restaurant near 5th Avenue in Playa

by Dabs

You might want to check out this website, I get a lot of my recommendations from here when we go

A lot of the restaurants off 5th Avenue are "hygenically challenged", I have a cast iron stomach and have never had any problems but if you do have digestive issues, read the reviews carefully to see if it's a hole in the wall.

by SkyKat

I was there almost 5 years ago, and the best meal I had was at an Argentinian Steak house. Don't remember the name, but if it's still there and you ask at your hotel, people will know it.

by gfinesilver

yummy argentine steakhouse.

why not just get off of 5th avenue? once you get past 15th (which is just 2 blocks away as they go by 5s) the restaurants become much less expensive and more local/mexican.

there is a good and cheap seafood place that's on 10th avenue and 8th calle i think. i can't remember the name right now

by traveler28

You also might want to check out Google. Type in Restaurants in Playa Del Carmen Mexico and you will come up with a list of Restaurants with reviews for many of them. One restaurant that my wife and I liked was La Casa Del Agua. It's right on the east side of 5th Avenida not too far north of the Ferry pier road.

by Ceekonee

Most of the Ex-pats and repeat tourists love Carboncitos. It's located on Calle 4 between 5th and 10th. Prices are very reasonable.

I really don't have a favorite place right on 5th and avoid alot of them. I also reccomend you walk up to Constituens and Avenida 25 and 30 for some really great Mexican food at El Fogons and HC Monterreys. Really cheap and you won't be disappointed.

If you are really adventuras..try some of the local taco carts next to the bus station. Yummy!

Travel Tips for Playa del Carmen

Make a sculpture in the sand

by Maria_75

If you get bored of bathing in the beautiful warm water, or taking sun on the paradisebeaches, this might be something for you. You don't have to be a child to play in the sand, you just need to bring out the child inside... ;) If you are more people you could make a competition and see who makes the best sculpture (it can be quite fun unless you are a horrible looser like me... )

on the beach

by patjorgensen

paraiso beach club is a great place to have happy hr. starts at 3:00 also try their amberjack slightly breaded, delicious & I'm not much of a fish eater, went back twice last trip. when sitting on beach or going to little cantinas we always use Skintastic on our ft. & lower legs. it deters the sand fleas. located calle 14 norte on the beach.sorry I don't know how to post pics. I'm a novice!!!

Rent something!

by whitneyone

Once you get the idea that you are going to run into speed bumps and pot holes you'll be fine. we rented a simple vw bug from Hertz for 170 bucks for a week. Manual trannie, no ac and really loved the freedom it gave us.

Some trips, like the one to Chichen Itza are very long. The pay road is really smooth but it's pricey. 19 bucks.

The free road is fine but you will be slowed down by the well marked speed bumps that are present before, during and after each small pueblito along the way. I would advise this trip only if you have PLENTY of time and a healthy longing for something off the beaten track.

Look into buses to Chichen Itza, our friends went for a total of 40 bucks a couple, and that included lunch! We spent 105 on our own between tolls, gas, admission and lunch.

If you hop the ferry to Cozumel be sure to rent a motor scooter. Bargain hard (we didn't!), they are all over the place for rent for a few hours or days.

Two people can ride on one, but the drivers hands do get tired from the gas and breaking. It's a fun a fairly safe adventure. Be a geek, wear your helmets!

A Charming spot to catch a bite on 5th

by sunlovey about Las Mananitas

I was about to faint, or have a heat stroke or something of that nature. I was getting extra pissy too, because when I don't eat, watch out! "Let's go there!" I demanded, almost randomly pointing out this little place, and so, it was where we ended up. Not bad at all. Charming atmosphere—brightly painted walls, cheery table cloths & a palapa-style ceiling. Extra friendly staff. Offering a mixed menu of traditional Mexican food AND a bit of Italian too. The restaurant is open air, there are fans "indoors" (much needed during the summer) and umbrella tables "outdoors". Fabulous guacamole and salsas to start.
I had tasty shrimp tacos. A couple of my companions had pasta dishes which they said were quite good.
They make a lovely frozen margarita here. Limey, not too syrupy sweet and such.
Price per person includes having margaritas. :-)

Mexican food in the tourist area

by Dabs about Carboncitos

This restaurant was highly recommended on the Playainfo board and as we were passing by a fellow gringo said they had the best soup ever so that sealed the deal!

As with most restaurants in Playa there is patio/al fresco dining as well as indoor covered dining, it was a nice balmy evening so we ate outside. Since we were staying at an all inclusive, we weren't really hungry so we just ordered a few things, 2 tacos al pastor, one with cheese and one without, and a shrimp quesadilla. All of them were really good, the taco with the cheese was better than the one without. Our tab was 142 pesos ($13US) with one drink each.

Comments