5A Avenida y Calle 8, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Booking.com

More about Hotel Jungla Caribe

Playa Del Carmen

by Rubels

I decided to check out the other side of Mexico this time. I flew into Cancun, since there were cheap flight to that location. I didn't expect to like it, since it's a peninsula lined with fancy resorts, and that just isn't my kind of thing. I spent the night in downtown Cancun, which wasn't very nice or particularly cheap ($30), but I wanted to do some market shopping.The next day I took a bus to Playa del Carmen, a 45 minute ride south. The bus was nice, air-conditioned and cheap ($3). I was dropped in the center of town and from there walked up the main road to find a hotel. I checked at different places and was offered rooms by touts, but I knew there were plenty of rooms available, since I went 10 days before Christmas, and that is the lowest of seasons. So I took my time finding a place and looked at the rooms offered until I found a place I loved. I ended up staying at a place called "Jungla Caribe", which is on the corner of 5th & 8th and one block from the beach. The room was $50/night, had 2 double beds, air-conditioning, a patio and a clean marble tiled bathroom. This hotel is run by an Austrian couple, and the people who work there are very nice.
The main road in Playa is a colorful array of handicraft stored, restaurants and hotels. There isn't much traffic during the day, but at night the road is closed to traffic and it becomes a wonderful place to wander and watch people.
The best part of the Yucatan peninsula is the beautiful water and beaches. The beach at Playa was no different. Powder-fine sand, beachchairs and restaurants make it a great place to spend your days. The water is crystal clear and inviting.
There are some day excursions available also. There's X-Caret a waterpark with shows and all sort of attractions (swim with dolphins). There's Tulum, a mayan ruin on the beach near Playa. There's the ferry to Cozumel, which is overpriced and simply deposits you in a place alot like Playa, but without a nice beach.

All in all, Playa was a wonderful place. I was a bit surprised at how expensive it was, especially the food and the clothes. I had expected the famous mexican bargains, but I guess those are a thing of the past. It's safe and a great place for families, since everything is in walking distance.

the floating bridge over the lagoonthe floating bridge over the lagoon

guacamole, totoposguacamole, totopos

ferry dockferry dock

A Mayan woman cookingA Mayan woman cooking

playa del carmen

by pfrank

I'm going over Easter.. And for the first time in 7 years I coudn't get a room at the Pelicano on the beach. I am at the Jungla Caribe. Where do you go to lay on the beach?? with a lawnchair. I was always under the assumption that they were for the people staying at the hotels only?? I usually do have a beer or 2? Advice Please. Thanks

RE: playa del carmen

by gomexico

Bring your own chair . . . and some sand to set it on. You'll be in PdC at one of the two busiest times of the year. If you don't like large crowds of noisy people . . . change your plans.

RE: RE: playa del carmen

by Redlats

That's what they say about Progreso as well. Don't be there over Easter, as that is the traditional weekend for every local to hit the beach.

Travel Tips for Playa del Carmen

The Blue Parrot

by Blatherwick about The Blue Parrot

The Blue Parrot was voted as on of the 10 best bars in the world by Newsweek magazine in 1996. It wouldn't make my top 10 list but it's a cool place to drink at night by the beach. The Parrot has sand floors, swing seats at the bar, a stage for dancing, and a new sitting area with pillows, candles, and carpets. Drinks are reasonable and the crowd is mid to late 20ish. Good times. Sandals and shorts are the norm.

Delicious Italian Food!!!

by Gomita about Il Pescatore

This is one of the best places of Italian food I've ever tried!! If you like homecooked Italian food, this is the right place!!
It is not very expensive and the dishes are very well served and prepared individually by the owner, she is Italian, so she gives the dishes her special touch, the food has very good quality. The furniture and decoration, are very simple and rustic, but don't hesitate, this is a great place to eat!. There is another restaurant with the same name in the hotel "Porto Real", don't get confused!! Mussels and all pasta!!
If you love pasta, you' can order any, and I'm sure that you won't be dissapointed.
I recommend gnocchi and homemade spinach ravioli

Churros

by Dabs about Churro stand on 5th Avenue

Right past the spray paint artists at the south end of 5th Avenue was a cart selling french fries and churros. We stopped here several time for an after dinner snack, always getting freshly made churros. Churros are sticks of dough, put through a star shaped tube, fried in oil and rolled in cinnamon sugar. Sometimes they have filling such as chocolate or vanilla but these were plain. It was 15 pesos for an order of churros.

On our 2nd visit (Dec 2004) we stopped by the churro stand once but I got awfully spoiled by the awesome vanilla ones they sell in Chicago at the Canal St. market so we had ice cream or popsicles for dessert most nights.

snorkeling

by jen_

I love snorkeling at Xel Ha. There are paved walking trails surrounding the immaculate, clear lagoon, with plenty of rest areas to sit back and enjoy the beauty of the park.

After snorkeling with hundreds of exotic fish, you will enjoy floating down the Xel Ha River on an inner tube.

Comments