Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya

10th Avenue North, Corner of 30th Street North, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• I must differ

Though this hotel gets raves on the site I think they are really not justified. It is just fine but the rooms are small and spartan and, though they meet my cleanliness standards, are older and certainly are far from impeccable. I would stay there again except that the price is not attractive (now $80/nite on web). Actually, it is not out of line with other hotels in Playa del Carmen but the town has become unreasonably expensive over a very short period. Needs remodeling.

Directions: At the north end of the 5th Avenue strip. Some distance from beach. Actually this end of town is emerging as the nicer area especially for restaurants.

More about Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya

Perfect Place to Stay!

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya for 7 days during the 2nd week of March. We could not have been more satisfied! The hotel was absolutely spotless, the staff very kind, a wonderful location(a few blocks from the crowds), and very reasonable. All of the rooms overlook a charming pool with lots of plants and palms. A computer set up in a lobby area allowed us to keep in contact with our children each day, which was a real bonus! Mamita's beach club was probably on the nicest beach area in Playa...a daily pass and a couple of nice big beach towels were cheerfully given to us each day that we stopped by the front counter and asked. The air conditioning was nice and quiet, the bathrooms a beautiful clay tile with a large walk-in shower, and some of the best water pressure I've ever experienced! As some other reviewers have mentioned, the beds are hard! I solved the problem by asking for a couple of extra beach towels that I put under the sheets to soften it up a bit. No problem sleeping after all the snorkeling, and bumming around we did.
Both my husband and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get away from the "all-inclusive' scene!

A Gem! Exceptional Service, Good Value.

by TripAdvisor Member ChristineOnVacation

We recently returned from a memorable two week stay at Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya, January 15 – 29, 2005. This hotel is a gem, providing exceptional service and good value.

Arrival – As promised and arranged by the hotel, our hotel transfer was waiting immediately outside the airport terminal. Within minutes we were in the van and on our way to the hotel.

Hotel – Clean, bright, open, well lit at night, great location. This is a well managed hotel and it shows. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful, as was the hotel staff in general. They were more than willing to help us out with our very limited Espanol. The internet in the lobby for hotel guests is convenient. The pool/garden area is lovely, especially at night, making it a nice place to hang out at the end of a busy day. No elevator – no problem, we didn’t mind using the stairwell. It’s a graceful climb. The hotel staff is continuously cleaning the property. There is a laundry service conveniently located next to the hotel, and for a few pesos we were able to have our laundry done. What we appreciated most about this hotel is that it’s quiet at night. The very heart of Fifth Avenue is a short 15 minute walk away, but it seems closer than that as the walk is so delightfully entertaining.

The Room - We stayed in a standard plus room on the third floor, with a beautiful view to the pool and garden below. It had everything in it as described by hotel management through our email communications. Rooms are cozy, comfortable and clean. The balcony is private. We had daily housekeeping and frequently had towel creations left on the bed – thank you Pina. The beds are firm, but not so hard as to be notable. We found them to be just fine. The A/C in the room was the best we have ever experienced; quiet, and accurate for temperature setting. The shower in the bathroom had good water pressure and there was plenty of hot water. The small fridge in the room was a bonus. We often purchased V-8 and other “beverages” from the Big Apple Deli a few blocks away on 5th, right next door to Carmencita’s, one of Playa’s many great restaurants. The TV was fine, though we rarely used it except for channel 48, the music channel.

Restaurant – La Pileta, (immediately next door to the hotel, adjoining the pool/garden area), provided the continental breakfast, coffee, juice, toast and jam. It was usually all we needed, however if you want more you can order off the menu for a small price. Good food, very nice people, a pleasant start to the day. In the morning it was amusing to occasionally exchange travel tips with some of the other guests.

Beach – The hotel would provide fresh beach towels daily and a pass for a palapa and loungers at Mamita’s Beach Club, which is located on the most respectable strip of beach in PDC; and is a leisurely, five minute walk from the hotel. Walking north, there are endless kilometers of sandy beach. Mamita’s is fantastic! Great staff, great beach, great restaurant. Try a pineapple watershake… mmmm; and ask to meet Pasquael – he’s a good guy – went out of his way to learn our names, and would call out to us whenever we stopped in to the restaurant. The restaurant is particularly clean, (and ladies, the washrooms are clean too!). Regarding washrooms in general in PDC and area: no problem, they are fine – just not as fancy as we are accustomed to.

In General – Good value. Ideal location! Five minutes to the beach! One block from Fifth Avenue’s fine restaurants and entertainment. We enjoyed staying in the north end of town, and looked forward to our daily walks. It took about 25 minutes to walk to the ferry terminal to Cozumel at the south end of Playa. Everything in the tourist zone is literally within walking distance. But, if you needed to catch a cab, there is always one nearby. The ADO bus system works very well too and is inexpensive. We used it to travel to Xel-Ha and Tulum.

The Mayan Riviera has so much to offer and more to explore than our two weeks would allow. Thank you to Alfredo, Art and the wonderful management and staff who helped make us feel at home while we were guests in their hotel. Christine O.

great hotel

We just returned from Playa a few days ago and we wish we were still there!!!Riviera Caribe Maya was a beautiful hotel and so so clean. Breakfast at the little attached restaurant was so yummy!Huevos Ranheros are to die to for.Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I cannot wait to go back!! I highly recommend it. It is away from the hustle of 5 ave but certainly close enough to walk. The beach is close, a five minute walk.Our view of the pool from our room was beautiful.

Love Loved It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just returned a great great week at the Riviera Caribe Maya. I loved, loved it. I have been to many hotels and resorts in Playa and the surrounding area for more than 10 years, but this hotel tops them all in every way. Great location, near the best beach, right off the best section of Avenida 5, pretty, clean clean, cozy, wonderul management, free internet access, great showers and the best is you feel like you are in Mexico. I am definitely going to return to this hotel. So since I cannot go now, I recommend you go in my place and enjoy!

FRIENDLY,FABULOUS

This is the second time I have stayed at the Riviera Caribe Maya Hotel. I think the hotel is 2 or three years old. It looks great...small size, rooms swim up. Rooms are standard size..."cozy"might be the better word for it. Location is key. Couple of bloks and you are in the middle of town or at least a few minutes from it. The beach club is a short walk as well. Hotel is near taco stands and little stores and nearby pharmacy. Its great value and will welcome any traveller who wants a good solid, clean place to stay.

See you next year.

RCM great value, lovely, well run hotel.

We stayed at Riviera Caribe Maya from February 13th to 20th. This hotel was a great value. The rooms were small but very clean. Mattresses were firm but I slept great. The first night I was too cold because my husband was hot and wanted the a/c cranked up. Next morning, I requested an extra blanket and slept great from there on out. Obviously, the air conditioning works great. It was also a very quiet running A/C. Private balcony in the room looked down on a pretty pool area with lots of blooming flora. Safe deposit box in the room for passports and any valuables. We felt our stuff was safe when we left the room. Phones in the room allowed us to make local calls to friends staying in the area at a reasonable price.

The concierge staff at the hotel was great. Day time concierge speaks English well and was incredibly helpful. We were in Playa with a large group of friends and family staying at several different hotels. At one point my sister joked that our concierge was so helpful he even knew our schedule and when we would be returning. Apparently when she came by looking for us (she did not have a telephone in her room at her hotel), she was told "Senor and Senora Carlos are out at this time and they wll return at 7 pm." She thought it hilarious that the staff was so on top of our schedules but this was because they had arranged a tour for us to Chichen Itza and knew approximately when we would return.

The tour was great and also a good value. We met several people who paid a lot more for similar tours to Chichen Itza. It seems some hotels in the area are making a big profit off of arranging tours for their guests but we felt the price we paid was very fair for what the tour offered and we did not hear of anyone who paid less so we did not feel taken.

The restaurant next to the hotel has a great breakfast and at about $2.50 USD/person for a big plate of eggs or an omlette with fresh squeezed OJ, coffee and pan tostado, it's a very good value as well. We especially loved the Juevos Rancheros. However, they are for those that like spicy food as the Ranchero sauce has a little kick to it. We live in the Tex-Mex capitol of the world, Houston, Texas, so are used to and enjoy spicy food, even for breakfast. But Ranchero sauce is not traditionally spicy and this one was so we were pleasantly surprised.

However, service at the restaurant is a little slow. But this is true throughout most of Mexico unless you are at a big American style resort. Most little restaurants like this are Mom and Pop type places with Mom in the kitchen and Pop serving the guests. Go in to it with a relaxed attitude and know that it may take a little more work on your part to get that coffee refill. Just be sure to smile and say gracias a lot and you will improve your chances of getting good service.

Internet connection in the common room allowed me to pay bills while I was in Mexico. We were gone almost 3 weeks so we knew we would be utilizing online bill pay while away. There are internet cafes everywhere in Playa but it was nice to not have to take that extra step. I just got up, paid bills, ate breakfast, went to the beach. Just like at home except I have to go to work instead of the beach.

The hotel provides beach club passes to Mamita's and they also provide very large and freshly clean smelling towels. Mamita's beach club is very nice. That stretch of beach is especially beautiful with no rocks in the water that I saw. Lounge chairs are comfortable. Great ceviche and pina coladas can be ordered from the restaurant and brought to you on the beach. Get there very early if you want an umbrella. However, the staff at the beach club was very helpful when we brought my sister's 2 month old to the beach and that day they found us an umbrella for the baby by hook or by crook.

The swimming pool at the hotel is in shade much of the day so the water was freezing. We did not enjoy using the pool. But as mentioned the pool area is very pretty and contributes to the appearance of the hotel greatly. The pool would probably be the perfect temperature for swimming at a warmer time of the year but in February we found it too cold.

The walk to 5th Avenue was only one block. The hottest spots on 5th Avenue are probably about 10 to 15 minutes walking south on 5th Avenue but those are also the more expensive bars and restaurants. There are some excellent values on 5th in the area right around the hotel. But you will want to make the walk south on 5th anyway. It's not a bother at all as this is what most people do in the evenings anyway, stoll up and down 5th for the excellent people watching and shopping. Even cheaper yet are places that can be found walking south on 10th. There are lots of clean and cheap restaurants where you can get tacos Pastor or fish tacos. We had a meal of fish tacos at Dr. Taco on 10th of three fish tacos each and 3 Coronas each (Yes, we were a little tipsy afterward but the hot sauce demanded to be washed down with plenty of cold beer with lime.) for $14 USD, $16 after tip. Awesome tacos and hot sauce. Ask the waiter for the hot sauce grading system in advance or you might be sorry. Too much habanero can kill.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable stay and we would certainly stay there again. The hotel is an excellent value, very clean and very helpful staff.

Very small rooms

I gave the reservation agency my credit card number to confirm my reservation. The day after I checked in I noticed that the room for the next 2 weeks was already on my credit card. They never had my card or my signature.

Great value nice and CLEAN. Worth a stay.

Stayed at this hotel Feb 6th-13th 2005. Wow, what a spot for people who just want a clean comfortable and quiet place to stay. Its almost right on 5th AV, but at the north end. That means its quiet and all you have to do is walk south on 5th towards the ferry docks and the action increases each block. Then you after party and eat and people watch you slowly make your way back to the hotel. Closer to the hotel it becomes more "Euro hip". There are little coffee shops and bars right up until you take a left off 5th and walk a half block to the hotel.

Here are the negatives:

#1 You need to throw your TP in the trash. The toilets work fine but I guess the paper can clog them. Its not that big of a deal. fold your squares, throw them in the trash and room service has them out by the next day.

#2 The beds are very hard. When I first sat down, I thought the nights were going to be rough. My wife and I both slept like logs!! So in my book it became a non issue. From what others in our travel group said about Gran Porto Real (5 star all inclusive) their beds were hard as well.

The positives: Great location, friendly staff, CLEAN, safe and best of all very affordable!!

Don't let the 12% credit card thing worry you. We checked in and were ready to pay. The front desk said "No, no you don't pay until you leave. The day we left he said if we paid in cash, Mexican or American there was no 12% charge. So we just used the card to hold the room prior to our arrival.

The hotel deserves an excellent rating based on price and what you get.

When we go back to Playa we'll stay here again.

Comments