Carrt Chetumal - Pto Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

Hotels.com Expedia.com CheapCaribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Never Again

Iberostar hotel is dirty, ran down and multiply safety issues. Our first room had bugs everywhere including the beds. In the new room the air conditioner barley worked and there was mold in all the corners. Multiply times the room was never cleaned the fridge not stocked. We spoke with the concierge multiply times with our concerns and nothing was done. The food is terrible and barely warm! The entire resort is tiled and after it rains truly impossible to walk on. While walking to my room I slipped on wet tile causing me hit my head on a pole, causing a large gash in the back of my head. I was instructed by Iberostars medical center to request a 4 50.00 taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen Hospital. The hospital required me to pay for services upfront. This meant that cash or credit card payment of $2,500K was required to be admitted for an exam. After waiting for over an hour I received 12 stitches before the antistatic could set in. I was never check for concision or fracture. In order to leave the hospital I was required to pay an additional $200 plus another 50.00 taxi ride back to Iberostar!!! Later that day we were informed that there was multiply injury’s that day due to the tiled floors! I was never contacted by anyone from the resort to check in on me! I will never suggest this resort to anyone or stay at another Iberostar again!

• GREAT VACATION!!!!~Don't listen to haters

This was by far the best vacation we've ever taken. even better that a cruise. my family and i recently returned about a week ago and can't wait to get back. the resort was spotless, sort of like Disney-you never see anyone cleaning, but you never see anyone cleaning. the pools were always spotless with beautiful scenery. the food was amazing, the a la carte restaurants were the best. people say that the food was bad and got them sick, but i was there very recently and had ZERO problems. it was delicious, and even though it wasn't EXACTLY how they make it in america, it is good because it was different. i read a review of one man who was complaining that there was no lasagna at the Italian restaurant, even though the did have REAL italian food. i do recommend the ossobucco with risotto hunters style. it was one of the best italian meals i have ever had. the same person was complaining that his fillet mignon wasn't wrapped in bacon. earth to beuller, maybe thats not how they do it in mexico. perhaps you could try some thing new for a change? also, there is nothing to worry about with the water or ice. the fact that it was all inclusive was also a plus. the minibar and room service were both great. if you have a chance to go to playa del carmen, i recommend to do so. it was fun to go into the little stores and haggle with the shopkeeps. also, the restaurants there are very good. i dont know about the ice/water there, but at Frida's it is great. no water problem. if you go there, get the chicken burrito. it is by far the best mexican meal i have ever had. if you go on an excursion, go on the Tulum xtreme tour. we did a zipline through the jungle, repeling down a tower, and snorkeling in a cave, we also went to the ruins in tulum. it was by far the best vacation we've ever taken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unique Quality: great pools, great excursions, great food, great activities,... EVERYTHING WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!1

Directions: About 25 minutes from Cancun and 40 mins from Playa Del Carmen.

• All Inclusive at is Finest

We've been to Mexico several times, and this is the first time taking our children, ages 3 and 13. By far, this is one of the most beautiful hotels that we stayed at, and the accomodations were SUPERB! Your all inclusive means you can travel to FIVE other sister hotels each which their own theme, you never get bored. The service is superior. From the wait staff, to the entertainment crew. The resort is extremely family friendly with the most diverse and friendly crowd I've ever experienced. The pools were amazing. Unlike our experiences in Mexico before, the beds were very comfortable, rooms even more beautiful.. For me personally, this vacation was a little bit harder to soak up ONLy due to my personal preferences of typically being near civilazation. I like to experience culture and get the essence of the city, and you will not be doing that here. To get to decent shopping, you have to venture an hour out of the way, which is not something I recommend since tranportation time cuts into your vacation time.

Unique Quality: Positives

wild life, child friendly atmosphere, (there are literally anti topless signs on EVERY unbrella hut)lots of activities for everyone each hour of the day until 3:00AM child friendly pools and playgrounds are abundant clowns and Magicians wonder the grounds,great restaurants five hotels to choose from

Negatives

Apple Vacation Reps. We had the unfortunate experience of our Apple Rep being MR. Hardsell and bombarding us constantly with phone calls to our hotel room trying to get us to buy his packages. When I told him no he then proceeded to harass us, calling to speak to my 3 year old daughter as a guise. Typically they have an "orientation" full of tips and tricks, but this time no can do. Annyoing and intrusive

Secrecy: My three year old got sick. I was turned off by the cloak and dagger antics of the hotel staff trying to sick a doctor on her without my consent, until I got ugly. Naturally, when I noticed my daughter was hot, I needed a themometer. I did not pack one because the airport security. Not being near civilazation, this was a problem. I made the mistake of asking the hotel staff thinking they had a first aid kit on hand. They did not. Which was not a problem in and of itself, but what was, is that they acted really secretive, and tried to force my daughter to be "inspected" "confirmed" by one of their doctors. When I got all uptight about it, (basically saying how I would consult the American Consulate) they backed off. I was not going to let my daughter be poked and prodded by some stranger for the rest of the trip. I ended up retracting my request for a thermometer, and just traveled an hour to get it myself and kept a close on her. Thankfully, her fever diminished, and my daughter got her much needed rest. Something she could not do by having a bunch of strangers looking at her funny and poking at her.

Do not get sick while you are here, and do not use Apple vacations.. Other than that, I would recomment Iberostar, whole heartedly

Directions: Riviera Maya, km 309
    Playa Paraiso, Quintana Roo 77710 Mexico
    Phone: 987-877-2800

More about Iberostar Paraiso Lindo

Great trip!

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo the week of Dec. 7-14. We are 32 and 28 respectively and we wanted to go to the Yucatan Peninsula for a little R&R but not stay in Cancun. This resort is about 20 minutes south of Cancun near Playa del Carmen. The resort is beautiful and clean, and the staff was super friendly. Most everyone spoke at least broken English which was fine with me considering we are in Mexico and should try to speak Spanish anyway. Everyone certainly understood my drink orders and they have Dos Equis (XX) on draft at the hotel which was a huge plus. The drinks need more alcohol so don't be afraid to ask for more. We opted for the Dos Equis most of the time.
The rooms are very nice and fully stocked with water, soft drinks, and bottled beer. The resort has an ampi-theatre where they perform nightly shows. We found this out the hard way when we tried to go to bed around 10p and the show was just starting. It was very loud. We stayed in Building 55 the first 2 nights which is across from the ampi-theatre. I suggest that you move from that building unless you are planning to attend all of the shows or are planning to be intoxicated and it won't matter. We opted to move down to Building 53 where it was quieter. The grounds are very pretty but need a few more years to mature. The lazy river is not real exciting but the wave pool was pretty cool. The pool is freezing cold and we only got in when we needed to cool down from laying out at the pool. The beach is great and the water is gorgeous.
The ocean is actually warmer than the pool so go get in the water there. The resort offered free scuba in the pool but it was just too darn cold to do it. Even the dive instructor wore a 5 mil wetsuit. The resort has a 5 star PADI dive center on premise so take advantage of it. The food was descent but we didn't like having to make reservations for every night. We like to dine on our own time due to site seeing and other activities so we opted for the buffets and the room service most of the time. Room service is free so give it a try. It might be the best food. The Italian restaurant was our favorite but after a few days of seeing the same thing over and over it was time to find some other options. We ventured to Playa del Carmen as Iberostar has a free shuttle bus to/from every couple of hours. We found a TGI Fridays on "tourist trap row" and boy were we excited to eat there. We stopped in a few shops along the way and were hassled by the owners to go into their shops which is typical of Mexico. We politely declined but you can certainly haggle prices if you want. I will tell you the best kept secret in that area is a town called Puerto Aventuras. It's about 10 minutes south of Playa del Carmen and it's just a lazy little town on an inlet off the ocean. But what great food and great hassle-free shopping!! We lucked out and wanted to go do one of the many 'swim with dolphins' tours. We talked to the Iberostar rep and he hooked us up in Puerto Aventuras because we did it last minute and no other areas were available. We tried for Xcaret and Xel-Ha but they were booked. It didn't matter because it was the experience of a lifetime. Do yourself a favor and go do the swim there (bring your waterproof camera) and then afterwards you can sit outside on one of the many inlet side restaurants and watch other people do the same thing you were doing.
Plus, they have TVs and shopping and it's sooo laid back. Hardly anyone was around on a Sat. afternoon. Go visit the Mexican restaurant (more like TexMex) and ask for Salvatore. He is the nicest gentleman and will take good care of you. I think we drank 5 Coronas each and watched the dolphins for several hours. Overall, we had a great trip and I would definitely recommend this resort to others. I don't think it quite ranks as a 5 star hotel but definitely 4 star. Bring your tennis shoes because you will do a lot of walking. Treat yourself to a beach-side massage.

Reading reviews really helped me so am offering my own

by TripAdvisor Member crnflake

Because this was the first trip to Mexico for anyone in my family, I relied heavily on reviews when planning our vacation--hopefully mine can help you a bit too! My mom (50s) and sister and I (mid 20s) stayed at the Lindo from 12/14-12/20. As other reviews have stated, the resort is gorgeous! The colors are vibrant and everything is well manicured and clean. The staff was tremendously friendly although we had some miscommunication regarding when we wanted our room cleaned. I am not a picky eater to begin with, but we all seemed to enjoy the food whether it was buffet, snack bar, or reserved dinner. We took advantage of the free transportation to Playa del Carmen and also rode the ferry over to Cozumel (which, I believe, has a nicer shopping area and overall atmosphere than Carmen). The nightly activities were entertaining but not overly exciting--we weren't too unhappy the nights we went to bed early instead. I would recommend this hotel to anyone; tips on timing of the vacation though: towards the end of our vacation, approximately the 18th, there was a massive infestation of little gnat-like bugs surrounding the pool and beach areas! Don't know if it hit mating season or what but everyone seemed to notice and bugspray of some sort (as they did bite) may have been helpful. The pools are a bit frigid in December but the lazy river, albeit it extremely lazy, is quite fun.
Moreover, a lot of people must visit over the holiday week when schools were out because it was noticeably more crowded beginning Thurs and Fri at the end of our trip. If you want a great hotel with friendly people and overall relaxing vacation, Iberostar Lindo is the place to try!
Have a great time!

Something Lacking

This is a difficult review to write and I just go back. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. Marble, fountains, colors, foliage. You will not beat the aestetics, any resort anywhere. It had the largest pool I had ever seen and about five of them. The beach was good with good water.
The sand was good. The resort was clean. The rooms were very clean and nice but not luxurious as compared to the look of the property, beds were fine, they cleaned daily and stocked the minibar. Yes the animal towel designs were cute. Fresh flowers in the room. The food was pretty good too. Staff was friendly, drinks were as strong as you wanted and they had coke machines to get your own instead of waiting (huge plus especially at the beach were it gets hot). No criteria deserves a complaint, and in all of the above listed aspects this hotel was way above any other all-inclusive we have stayed at, but it lacked something intangible.

FYI - the property has three resorts the Lindo and the Beach and Del Mar. The Lindo seems to be more exclusive and can use the other resorts but not vice versa. While the Lindo gets higher ratings, I am not sure it was the better choice of hotels. My wife and I spend most of our time at the Bach and delMar (really one hotel). I would consider the Lindo more Mediterranean lots of concrete and pool type fountains with the folliage planned around the design, the other resorts I would consider more Asian where the resort is set among the natural (and prevalent) appearing folliage and they had animals such as peacocks and ginnies walking around. I personally liked the del Mar look better, but both were impressive. I only ate breakfast and dinner at the Lindo, but had lunch at both - the lunch was much better at the DelMar and was really excellent food, prettier scenery and outside. All of which I like, all restaurants at the Lindo are air conditioned. I don't know what the rooms in the del mar were like. we stayed by the del mar beach, it had more people and seemed a little more lively, although both were similar (the real reason was that the beach bar at the lindo had not been built. Both resorts had tons of palapas (natural beach umbrellas) both by the pool and beach, actually too many as it was difficult to find a place in the sun.

I will say a problem with the vacation was the weather. I would not go in december again. You only get good sun from about 10am to 1:30pm then the sun is below the resort and trees and it gets dark by 5. The pool was not heated and too cold for a good swim, although the sea was good temperature. Also no heated outdoor hottubs, that needs to be fixed. It would be ok in the summer, but not in december. The big outdoor bar was a swim-up, but no one used it because of the water temperature. They need to heat the pool about -7 degrees for the winter, a huge resorts but no one in the pool. This leads maybe into the other problems, there was no spirit at the resort as it was too big. It had everything to do and lots of activity planning, but you did not get a feeling of familiarity with the staff and the other resort guests, too much space.
Those feelings are what made my stays at all-inclusives not nearly comparable on an elegance level better.

You were not really sure what to make of this resort. If the rooms were a little nicer and if the dinner restaurants were a little more elegant (like the gourmet restaurant) and more beach and pool service was added - this resort had all the makings to be a Four Seasons - Ritz level something really special. But the rooms and service are comparable to a high level all-inclusive, but there was just no group spirit, and that really isn't even something I look for in a vacation, maybe I will now.
I would go back to this resort given the right price and what else was availible, but in the spring or summer months.

In the end, it was great for families, a little lacking for couples (like my wife and I) who are not newlyweds, but still in our late 20s early 30s. the delmar seemed a little more lively. The resort would also be good for people who want to find their only little space, and while not secluded, not be bothered by anyone, since the pools were so huge, there was no way of them being even remotely crowded if we want to find a spot along one of the twists and turns.

Only a REAL SNOB would not like this resort

If you are a big snob, do not go to this resort... For that matter, DON'T GO TO MEXICO. I was at the Lindo during THE SAME TIME as a few other reviewers here and EVERYTHING was fine and WELL ABOVE the standards of all-inclusive resorts we have been to in the last 10 years. We have been to the Cancun and Mayan area 15 times and this resort is in our top two picks. The wavepool and lazy river were GREAT and did function EVERYDAY (12-5 thru 12-15). The wavepool runs @ 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5pm for 15min, if there are plenty of people in the wavepool the lifeguards will let it continue for as long as 30min. Yes, lifeguards. One on each side and one on the end and I watched them to see if they were really watching the children and they were. matter of fact, I watched one of them go in the water and make sure one boy was okay and not having a hard time getting out of the waves in the deep area. The Lazy River is just that, LAZY. You get in on the one and two person rafts and a gently current takes you around the beautiful grounds and a few waterfalls. Its a "LAZY" River not "RAGING RAPIDS" River. Agian, worked fine 12-5/12-15. There is also a child activity pool/playgound area that is staffed by ENGLISH speaking locals who seem to do a great job of watching the kids and seeing to it that they had fun things to do, as well as MAKING SURE THEY HAD SUNSCREEN ON. All the food and resturants were GREAT however, THIS IS MEXICAN STYLE COOKING.
Not McDonalds, your local steak joint, salad bar or Starbucks coffee house. There was ALWAYS plenty fruit and vegitables and wide variety of other foods at all the buffets and resturants. If something was empty on a tray ASK, and they would get MORE. The steak house and gormet resturants were by far the best. The art work in the gormet resturant is equal too (if not better!) that at The Venition Hotel in Las Vegas.
Really, worth a look even if you don't eat there. If you want to eat at the other resorts a EARLY reservation was all it took, one day in our case. Another big bonous for staying at Lindo is that you can go to ALL the other resorts including the one in Playa Del Carman and Cozomel.
EVERYONE tries very hard to make your stay as nice as possible. I witnessed on situation where a pool area worker was not able to comunicate well with a guests needs and went to GET someone who could speak better english so they could meet the needs of the guest. Same with ALL the resurants. Whatever you needed they would find a way to acomidate you as best they could and did in all of our cases and many others too that we witnessed. Rooms Service 24hrs was also great. We had tacos, pizza and chicken dropped off a few time and each was great.
This is not Taco Bell so don't expect it. Its traditional mexican tacos and were very, very good. The in room refridgerator too were great and stocked everyday. XX and Supierior bottled beer, Coke is GLASS BOTTLES!
Diet Coke, some orange soda, club soda, and LOTS OF BOTTLED WATER. If you wanted more, CALL. They bring it right up in less than 20min. I called for a few more beers and they asked how many. I said 3 and they said well we'll just sent up a six pack to make sure you have all you need for tonight. Drinks are what you want them to be. If you want them stronger they MAKE THEM STRONGER, the key is to ASK. They make most drinks on the weak side becuase most people don't realize the effects of RUM and SUN can really sneak up on you, thus you end up sick. They DO HAVE PREMIUM LIQUOR, just ASK and you can have it. Ohterwise you get call liquor JUST like here in the States. Now for the rooms. Yes , tile floors and MARBLE TOO. If you want the maid to was the floor EVERYDAY ask, they would do it IF YOU ASKED. Our floor were fine the whole time we were there. The bathrooms are VERY big and there is very modern fixtures too. There is no shower curtain, just a very large glass wall that covers just over half of the tub, which by the way is VERY long. I am 6'5" and could sit in the tub with my legs flat and still not touch the other side of the tub. We tipped the housekeeper $2 a day and they ALWAYS made sure the room was very nice and even did the Swan towel thing a few times too. If you want a more private balcony you will need to be up on the second or third floor. Our first room was on the first floor and we did not like the view. We "ASKED" and were given the choice of other rooms. We took one on the third floor overlooking the wavepool and regular HUGE pool. Yes the pools were a bit cool but after you were in for a minute it was FINE. In short, all you have to do is ASK at the Lindo and it will be done. Many of the reviews I have read here about other places are wrong and I am willing got bet the people who write them are the rude and snobby type and or who pay for a Red Roof Inn and expect The Ritz. Mexico is MEXICO, not The United States.
Everyone is very friendly and will go out of thier way to make things as nice as possible for you. The Lindo is a great place for the whole family or a couple looking for some good times.

Nice hotel, but didn't like it enough to go back

We are a couple in our late 20's early 30's--stayed at Lindo 12/10/03--12/17/03. We have previously stayed at Iberostar Cozumel, Iberostar Dominicana and Iberostar Bavaro in Dominican Republic--loved it all 3 times and decided to choose Iberostar again for our stay in Rivera Maya. I totally agree with one of the previous reviews--resort is very nice, luxurious, has almost anything you can think of, but lacks any spirit. I don't know if it's due to it being new or being too big, but we definitely did not have as great of a time as we did in other 3 Iberostars. We also had multiple unexpected problems with front desk staff both upon check in (they could not find our reservation and room request) and check out (they said we never returned our room key, which we did--almost caused us to miss our bus and caused a lot of stress!) Otherwise no complaints--most staff was supernice, construction noise not noticable, food was fine (we liked Japanese, Mexican, Midetteranian and Gourmet restaurants best for dinner). Make your dinner restaurants reservations on your first day!!! Put yourselves on waiting list for Del Mar evening restaurants early--they are not freely available to Lindo guests, only if someone at Del Mar cancels can you eat there. We liked Lindo buffet and beachside restaurant for breakfast and lunch--thought they were by far better than Del Mar's. Evening shows were OK, some very good (they have a live orchestra band with live singers!) There is more people at evening shows at Del Mar side--shows with audience participation were more fun there. Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen is a nice added bonus--can do all your shopping there or check out nightlife. Beach is great--we brought water shoes but ended up never using them. There are multiple watersports available. Snorkling is not too bad by the pier--if you feed them bread or banana, lots of fish will come! Disco was OK, good Euromix music and not too crowded--we liked it. One thing that really bugged me was lots of people smoking all over the place! Rooms were very nice inside--lots of hardwood and marble! No malfunctioning problems, except our tub was not draining good--we reported it, I don't know if anyone came to fix it (they probably had--they are all so good about making sure everything is perfect for you), but the tub never got better, so we just delt with it. I really did not like layout of the rooms though: there are no ocean front/ocean view/even partial ocean view rooms. Rooms either face the pool (very noisy during the day) or face, they call it jungle, but it is actually facing a small road down which trolleys/golfcarts circulate, or face another buildings.
Concierge service in each building is very,very nice option. Saves you a lot of trips to main lobby! Go to your concierge with any requests: from dinner reservations to being locked out of the room. Our concierge, Vegonia, was soo nice and helpful!!!Overall a nice resort, but there are better and more fun places +front desk staff needs to improve significantly--will probably not return.

Nice Time

by TripAdvisor Member Dahna

My family visited the Lindo during the week of Thanksgiving. What the other reviewers are not telling you is that this property has only been open about 6 weeks!! Give it a break! I was amazed how organized this property was when we arrived. I have been to numerous "new" hotel openings and never was as impressed as I was with this resort. I will agree the water was cold in the pool areas, but no hotels that I am aware of in this area has heated pools. Steak Restaurant and Italian was our favorites. Walk is a bit long if you end up in the building near the beach, but they do have a trolly that takes you to the front should you not want to walk off all that terrific food. They also have a free shuttle that leaves every hour on the 1/2 that takes you to downtown Playa del Carmen so you can shop of hang out of their beaches.
I visit the Mayan Riviera at least 4 times a year and have seen 80 % of the resorts (kind of my job) and the Iberostar brand is one of the finest for families. You won't find friendlier staff members and cleaner rooms! They go out of their way to please you.

Maya Riviera

by 1Nipper

Spent 1 week in Puerto Aventuas at the Catalonia Riviera Maya and week 2 at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo (North of Playa)
Catalonia was very nice, very good value for $$$.
Lots of activity around this area. I went scuba diving. Puerto Aventuras is a main sport fishing port. Every day we saw fishermen bringing back Mahi Mahi (or Dorado)

by Pelao

Hi,
Has anyone stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo before that could give me some tips (best building, beach, etc)? I am planning to go there on December 2004? How´s the weather that time of the year?
After one week of relax at the resort, we plan to stay in a cheaper and more budget hotel or hostal, can anyone recommend something nice in Playa del Carmen town?
Thanks to all in advance...

Re: YES/ TWICE

by TBONE1616

Yes, I have stayed at the Lindo twice within the past 10 months and heading back this Nov. One word...AWESOME Resort. Sevice is incred. Alex at the front desk is a great help. It's so clean it's unbelievable. Best rest. in the resort is the gormet. You can use and eat at the other two Iberostar resorts right next door. So between the 3 resorts youu have 12 rest to choose from. Weather can be a little crapy at times. Take a jacket for night. Ocean can be rough do to winds. The ocean is not protected from the winds as it is in Playa its self. Cozomel blocks the wind in Playa so ocean doesn't get as rough. The Resort seems really huge when you first get there. But it only takes less than 5 minutes form beach to lobby. I can't say enough how prety this resort is. As you leave the pool area and head to the beach youi walk anout 5ooft through a mango forest on a bridge. Then all of a sudden you come to this incred white sand beach. Off to you left is the beach bar and to your right is two message huts. Have a sunset mess.
Alll the building have a differnet type of court yard in the middle. All the lobby and bar floors and some of the walk ways are marble floors others are taek wood.
these are polished every night. Make sure when your in Playa you go to a bar called Caption Tetoks. (spelling?? ) you meet people froma all over the world it is a great bar, nothing fancy just a hell of alot of fun. Blue Parrot about 3 blocks down is good also. Well enjoy youuur trip. All in all it is the most awesome place Ive stayed down there. It's about the closet resort to any like in Hawaii. Bob

Comments