Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Calle 26 Norte, between 5th & 10th Ave, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico

Priceline.com

• Abeyna's Profile Photo

Little paradise distant from the commerce

I booked this place after reading positive reviews on trip advisor. It is located on Calle 26 Norte, just off La Quinta (fifth avenue) in the quieter area of Playa del Carmen, yet close to the action.

Unfortunately I only stayed for one night as I was delayed by a day due to flight misconnection. Clean, nicely decorated accommodation with a wonderful courtyard eminating a peaceful mexican paradise. On my first afternoon I fell asleep in the hammock in the garden.
    Staff were mexican locals and very friendly. I even spent an evening with a staff member after he'd finished work for the evening.

My room had air con, radio, bathroom with shower.

Unique Quality: Located in a quiet location in Playa
    Hotel designed to give a jungle paradise feel
    Has a sunbathing area on the roof overlooking Playa town.

Directions: Walk down La Quinta to the North. Turn left and its a few steps next to a restaurant on the right side.

More about Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Even Better!

Imagine our delight when, after staying here last year and enjoying ourselves tremendously, and fearing the worst from the hurricane, we found the place under terrific new management and really better than ever! Tony and Cheri have not only carefully and thoughtfully spruced up and remodeled but have brought their cheerful, easygoing, attentive energy to this very charming small hotel. Luna Blue is a gem in Playa as far as we're concerned. Just a block or two from the beach it has the best of all worlds - some peace and privacy in the lush "jungle-ey" vegetation, super friendly staff, spanking clean unique rooms and a location one block from all the walking on busy 5th Ave. Day passes make it possible to enjoy all the beach has to offer, and Luna's north town location puts it squarely in the developing end of things - development with an eye to upscale and quality and style. Cheri and Tony seem delighted to be doing this, and boy are they ever doing it well! Highly, highly recommended. Oh, and, the rooftop private sundeck is a nice touch.

Cute little hotel at a great price!

This hotel is a little gem. Located just three blocks from Playa's best beach, and a few steps from fantastic little restos and shops on 5th Ave -- you can't go wrong with Luna Blue, starting at about $55 a night.

The American owners are great and they've done a nice job renovating the hotel since they took it over about 9 months ago. The rooms are modest but very nice... you can never go wrong with fresh, clean and simple! White walls, floors covered in nice big beige ceramic tiles and a nice new bathroom. Beds and pillows were comfy and room had a celieing fan and a/c.

The focal point of the hotel is a lovely garden courtyard. All rooms overlook the garden and have little terraces with seating - great to hang out and have a cocktail in the evening. Good security as well. After 10 pm the gate is locked and only guests can enter through a locked door in the stone wall that encloses the hotel and garden. My friend found out how good the security was when at 4 am, after retiring from the local bar, she was unable to convince the security gard to let her in to see me!

A perfect spot for urbanites wanting to get back to basics and zen out... no phones or TVs to distract you from relaxation!

Ask the owners to tell you about the history of the hotel... pretty cool!

Wonderful place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member WorldTravellerr

I've just returned from my second stay at Luna Blue, March 16-20, 2006 and I can't wait to go back again!

I first stayed at Luna Blue in October 2005, right before Hurricane Wilma barreled through the Yucatan. At that time, I thought this was a great place to stay and posted a detailed review of the hotel on this site (see my photos & first review "Charming, friendly hotel" posted on October 31, 2005). For the most part, that review still holds true except that now the hotel is even BETTER! Renovations have been completed post-hurricane and the hotel is more beautiful than ever. The walls, inside and out, have a fresh coat of paint. There is new furniture and bedside lamps for reading (thanks Tony & Cheri!). The gardens are greener and more flower-filled. There are geckos, iguanas, colorful butterflies and gorgeous birds all attracted by the gardens. Each room has a balcony or sitting area which faces this lush oasis. It makes for a wonderful spot to relax at ANY time, especially after a day at the beach or very early in the morning. You can even chill out in the front desk area and meet the other hotel guests, if you'd like.

I stayed in Room 23, which is a 'Superior Room'. I had this room during my last stay (photos are posted with my prior review - The room has since received a coat of paint, new drapes, bedside tables & lamps.) The room is large, IMMACULATELY clean, has a spacious fridge for keeping soda, snacks & leftovers, a huge jug of bottled water at no extra cost, an in-room safe (if you need it), and plenty of space to hang your clothes and stow your gear (hangers included). The air conditioning is cold, the water is hot and the pressure in the shower is perfect. The towels are large and smell great. Soaps and washcloths are provided (many hotels in Mexico do not provide washcloths, so this is a bonus). I was more than comfortable, I was completely 'at home'! :)

This time, I also got to peek at a couple of the other rooms as well. They are spacious, very clean and offer comfortable accommodations. There are rooms with kitchenettes for those lucky enough to have an extended stay.

Tony & Cheri Head have owned the hotel for a little over a year now. They are FABULOUS hosts! They will do their best to make sure your stay is enjoyable. The entire staff of Luna Blue is friendly and provides outstanding service all around!

This hotel is an excellent value for those of you looking for safe, clean, moderately-priced accommodations. If you prefer a five-star hotel with all the amenities and services, then please, stay at a five-star hotel. This is a small hotel with few of those five-star amenities, but with MUCH warmth, charm, friendliness and hospitality.

OTHER MISCELLANEOUS .... I've found the other guests staying here to be friendly and talkative .... the hotel has a security guard after 10pm .... the hotel is quiet at night as it is located away from the noise & bars on Fifth Avenue .... the beds are comfortable .... the website is lunabluehotel.com .... there is a mini-mart and a laundry service across the street - pack light, you can have your laundry done for around 50 pesos ($5USD) and it smells GREAT!! .... beach towels are provided daily with your passes to Mamita's Beach Club, which is 2 blocks from the hotel .... the hotel can make arrangements for day trips and other excursions .... they can also arrange taxis to and from the airport in Cancun, though the MUCH cheaper option is to take the Riviera shuttle bus at a cost of $80 pesos each way ($8USD) - a taxi will usually cost anywhere from $40-80USD each way!!!

Playa Del Carmen is a vibrant community with much diversity - Mexicans, Europeans, South Americans, North Americans, etc. The locals work hard to make sure your stay is pleasant. Be kind to them, smile and wave to them, talk to them even if you don't know Spanish. Make an effort and your kindness will be returned ten-fold, making your experience that much more enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip!

Just what we wanted and so much more...

Just home 3 days from Luna Blue and already looking forward to our next visit. Simply a lovely place to stay! Conveniently located, well maintained, clean rooms, affordably priced. Really appreciated the owners efforts to guide us in all the right directions, be it recommendations for dining out, places to see or things to do! Doesn't get any better than this. Gracias Tony and Cheri!

I recommend enthusiastically!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tennismom38

Just returned from a week at the Luna Blue and can recommend without reservations! Toni and Cheri were gracious and informative hosts, happy to share off the beaten path recommendations- which were all fabulous (specifically El Fogon (a local restauarant) and Paamul (a snorkeling heaven). We had a standard room- I would recommend paying for an upgrade to a room with purified water and fridge- (they weren't available during our stay)..however, it is great to have a room available as inexpensive as this one. The rooms were very clean (the staff at LB is great- front desk and cleaning- very pleasant and helpful) and the beds were typical hard, but fine. The gardens are gorgeous, can't wait to go back and see the planned jacuzzi and the rooftop patio was great at night (you could hear mellow music (nice) from a bar a couple of doors down)- the breeze was great. Another plus is that we got passes to Mamita's and beach towels... an extra convenience and $ savings. The location was great- very quiet street between 5h and 10th, and just a couple of blocks to the beach. I checked out a kitchenette suite- very nice and very reasonably priced. Tony and Cheri were great- they're new to the hotel business...and they're doing EVERYTHING right!

Great hotel in a great location!

We just got back from our stay at Luna Blue and what a great find! There are 18 newly remodeled rooms and we stayed in #32, which was a superior room with refrigerator and bottled water! Necessities!

The hotel location is perfect being on the North end of 5th street. It was a 5 minute walk down to the bustling hotspots, but was super quiet at night since it's located on the quieter North end.

The beds are typical Mexico firm, but I would definitely go back.

Mamita's Beach Club has beautiful beaches and there's a bar there if you need a refreshment!

Overall, we were super pleased with Luna Blue! Gracias Tony and Cheri!

Quaint & Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member Unisys

My husband and I with our two teenagers stayed at Luna Blue for a couple nights on route to Tulum. We were very pleased with the room, which included a kitchen (which we didn't use). It was very quiet, inexpensive (around $100/night) and clean. I really liked the porch outside the room which overlooked a garden filled with tropical trees and many species of birds. The hotel is off Avenue 5 with parking right out front. There are locked gates after 10pm so it had a safe feeling. Both Cheri and Tony from San Francisco were very accomodating -- it was our first trip to Mexico and we arrived pretty disoriented. They gave us some tips on where to eat and supplied beach towels and chair passes. There is an excellent breakfast place right around the corner called Lavabunga with wonderful coffee and little tables in a colorful setting. Our visit to Luna Blue was well worth it and we would stay again.

My home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member NJShammy

I just returned from the Luna Blue - my third stay in 4 months. My first two trips were solo, and the most recent was with my husband and two children (10 and 14).

There isn't much more that I can add to what most of the other reviewers have said about this charming hotel, just to agree with them that you simply won't find a more welcoming and wonderful hotel in Playa. The rooms are clean and lovely, the staff beyond accommodating (Hola Jaime, Genaro and Mario!), the gardens lush and beautiful with their ever-blooming flowers, and the north end (quiet) location is perfect.

Having met the owners Tony and Cheri in October '05 (while staying elsewhere), I came the first time in December to check the place out, and I have come back twice since because Luna Blue is now my home away from home. I have already booked my next visit with them too!

Tony and Cheri are just awesome, and from the get go, they treat you not just as a guest staying at thier hotel, but as a friend.

Anyone one can own and run a hotel, but not anyone can treat a stranger like family!

Tony and Cheri can - and do!

Great clean place, friendly and in the middle of everything....

I stayed at the hotel with friends, I had a Superior Room and they had a Treetop room. Great hotel in the middle of everything. Friendly staff and Tony, the owner, was really knowledgable about the local events, etc. For me, a clean room is #1. It was just that... comfy bed, clean bathroom, and an inroom safe and bottled water machine in each room. My room was on the 2nd floor which was better,... the treetop rooms have a great view and wonderful sun deck to chat all night as you look at the stars, however 3 flights of stairs are only for the young :) But hey, I worked off the great food by climbing to the treetop room. Overall the price was very good, good attention and no complaints. Its 1 real block from the beach, great restaurants within 100 feet of the hotel, and right on the 5th avenue strip.... Í´d stay again!
Chris