Playa del Carmen Hotels

• Maria_75 profile photo Maria_75
  • Reviews: 808

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Santa Lucia

This is a very good place to stay. It is situated in the middle of the touriststreet, 5ta Avenida, and close to the beach. The rooms are nice and clean, and the staff are friendly. Every room has a tv and two fans. The only negative thing is that the rooms are very warm so you could have needed more than two fans sometimes. Also the bathrooms are not so big, but they are clean and functional.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the touriststreet next to the beach, and you are just a short walk from everything. We paid 200 pesos (ca 20 USD) pr night, and it was one of the cheapest places we found that was so central.

The entrance is just a small open door in the wall, but it's hidden behind all the glitz and stash of the neighbouring shops, so it can be hard to spot it some times. A good mark to look for when you want to get home is the "Casa Tequila" next door. It took me a few walks up and down the street before I figured that one out... ;)

• Related to: Historical Travel, Beaches
  • Written November 19, 2004

Casa Tequila next door

Azulik: I can't WAIT to stay here

We took a tour offered by the reservation clerk when we went to scope out it's sister property, Copal.
Azulik BLEW me away. The only electricity powers the office and the restaurant, the rest of the grounds and powered only by candle light. I though i would go MAD until I saw the palapas. Large, beautiful, two beds..one hanging queen size, for napping. One king size for sleeping. Beautiful porch over looking the ocean from your cliff top palapa. Ok it's only about 20 steps down to the beach, but it changes your perspective in an amazing way.
Private baths with hollowed out trees which serve as your tub. A small round soaking tub for two is located outside. Beautiful grounds, spectacular cove. I forgot all about electricity after about 10 minutes. I highly suggest visiting their web page.

Yoga, massage, a sweat lodge. Visit the web page. This place is so cool that even THAT may not do a good job doing it justice.
AMAZING.

• Maria_75 profile photo Maria_75
  • Reviews: 808

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Popol-Vuh

This place is located almost at the beach. They have small rooms or cabañas for rent. Some are with shared bath, and a few have a private bath. A small cabaña with private bath costs about 20 USD. The price is ok, but if you want to have a room in a hotel you can find one for almost the same price or a bit more.

• Related to: Beaches, Historical Travel
  • Written November 19, 2004
Tip Photo

• tashka profile photo tashka
  • Reviews: 140

Barcelo Maya Caribe: Great Beach and a Piece of Jungle

Barcelo Maya is a huge hotel not far from Playa del Carmen (about half an hour or less by minibus). It consists of four parts: Barcelo Maya Beach and Barcelo Maya Caribe, Barcelo Maya Colonial and Barcelo Maya Tropical. The difference between the four parts is still a mystery to me, but I heard that Colonial and Tropical are more expensive.

Anyway, the place is a paradise with the "all inclusive" system covering even strong drinks. The place has a magnificent beach in two natural bays covering it from ocean waves. Rooms are great, the hotel is clean and green, food was excellent and diverse.

I was absolutely happy with my stay, though there were some problems with the service, which was too slow at the beginning, like, the safe box in my room was broken, and they couldn'e repair it for two days.

The hotel tries very hard to preserve as much of the nature as possible. In its area you will see lots of iguanas, other lizards, birds, etc. There is even a piece of jungle in the area of the hotel with a cenote! You can ride an ATV round the jungle, the hotel provides such tours.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written March 15, 2007

My room at the Barcelo Maya Caribe, Mexico

• Heavens-Mirror profile photo Heavens-Mirror
  • Reviews: 210

~ Catalonia Riviera Maya ~: ~ Fantastic hotel in a beautiful location ~

I stayed at the Catalonia for 7 nights. It is a very impressive hotel on the beach with beautiful well kept gardens, swimming pools and a stunning lobby area. Rooms are big and spacious with comfortable beds, a fab shower and air con which is needed, although the rooms are abit basic i still think they were fabulous and deserve the 4 star rating. Rooms were cleaned daily & the maids always left us some towel art which was a nice touch.

All the staff are amazing and all have a genuine friendliness rather than just after a tip unlikesome holidays ive been on. The A-Team staff are fantastic, Adrian, Martin, JoJo, Alonzo and Heather work hard all day and night to keep you entertained. There is always something going on throughout the day & they have theatre shows at 9.45 every night. We took part in dance lessons, cooking lessons, bingo, quizzes, aqua aerobics, football and snorkeling which is a must and it is free to use the equipment everyday, the sea is so clear and beautiful with lots of interesting fish to look at.

All in all I highly recommend the Catalonia. It was a fantastic holiday and well worth the money spent. I normally dread all inclusive as I get bored of the food and cheesy entertainment but there was so much choice for everyone. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice hotel in a beautiful location close to shops, bars and restaurants plus the Dolphin Discovery which is a nice day out. We enjoyed the Catalonia so much that we have already booked to go back next year.

Buffet is excellent with plenty of choice during the day and in the evenings, you can watch fresh steak, fish and spaghetti bolognese being cooked in front of you while you wait. We visited all 3 a la carte restaurants during our stay which was a nice change from the buffet.

Waiter service is excellent during the day and night, they never let you go thirsty. We were waited on the whole 7 nights by a friendly man called Domingo by the pool and didn't have to lift a finger. Also the lobby bar is very good, Misael and Elias the cheerful bartenders gave us many different cocktails to try.

We also went out cycling for free for the day down to the local marina, it was beautiful, there were lots of expensive yachts and boats and you can watch the dolphins, sea lions and manatees at Dolphin Discovery there and enjoy ice creams, drinks and some shopping. A very nice day out for all the family and it a nice safe area, we liked it too as no one hassled you to come into the shops or bars etc.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written December 23, 2007

~ Hotels well kept gardens ~

• ScubaCat profile photo ScubaCat
  • Reviews: 70

Adventura Palace: The Wow Factor

Once again we stayed at a Palace Hotel & once again were not dissapointed. The Adventura Palace still has that WOW factor on almost every aspect of their resort. Marble Foyers, pleasant & friend staff willing to meet your every need, 4 different types of resturants. All beautifully appointed in their appropriate themes. Checking in is a breeze, just 15 mins and your on your way to a fantastic vacation. The rooms, WOW. When you open the door to your room, you just sqeal with delight, marble floors and column's. Room to move, tile floors, a marble bathroom, room to unpack or not if you choose not to (it doesn't make a difference if you don't - there is still plenty of room to move about). The rooms have in room safes (not that that makes a difference - we kept laying out money as a tip for the cleaning staff & they never took it!), hairdryers, bathrobes, mini bar, etc. and the views!. Even if you happen to have a garden view, you step out your balcony and see the ocean peeking from behind the trees across a beautifully manicured grounds. The Adventura Palace is all inclusive if you choose to go this route, or not if you don't want to, but not having to deal with money while laying on the beach or heading out for a night of relaxation on the differenct activities on the grounds is well worth the All Inclusive price.

The Adventura Palace has many outstanding features including the activities that they conduct throughout the day. There's a kids camp that keeps the kids busy, occupied and happy while mom & dad play at the pool, the beach, or going out for one of those tours that is included in the price. The beach is just gorgeous and you can snorkel right off the beach. That was a lot of fun. If you prefer you could partake in the various activites that the Adventura Palace had going on. Pool Volleyball, water arobics, beach volleyball and so many other's that I can't remember. If you choose not to spend your time down by the beach, the beautifully layed out pool was there with that cool refreshing water and in pool bar. Now how cool is that to continue standing in 4 feet of water while ordering your dacquri? There was also a fitness center, complete with a climbing wall and some of those Palapa's you saw on the beach were designated for only for the most relaxing event at the Adventura Palace...a massage! All around the Adventura Palace was a great experience & I would not hesitate to stay at another Palace Resort! Oh, did I mention that if you stay at 1 Palace Resort you get to play at the other 7 including the ones in Cancun & Cozumel.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written May 7, 2006

Part of the Beach at the Hotel

La sirena Akumal: About 25 minutes south

Ok there is getting to be quite a bit of traffic in Playa..and you are going to be sharing a lot of space with tourists, but that's fine, because you are one too. But if you need to get a change of pace, try La Sirena Condo's in Akumal. On half moon bay, zero traffic, this actually has a center which still feels like the sleepy fishing town playa del carmen once was. You won't find as many restaurants, no mcdonalds or carlos and charlies...you WILL find peace and quite. And stunning views from these condos. This photo was taken off the 3rd floor. You can also snorkel RIGHT out into the water. Check my Akumal travelogue below, or my Akumal Page for more information!

Great pool, great views, very quiet, awesome breezes. Snorkle right out. Ocean views from all but the 2nd bathroom.
Satellite TV if you must, air condtioning if you ask for it. This is a view to live for yes?

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Eco-Tourism
  • Written February 6, 2005

Nice View, yes?

• LiamJackson10 profile photo LiamJackson10
  • Reviews: 35

Grand Sirenis Resort Mayan Rivera: 5* Mexico

We stayed here at the Grand Sirenis Resort Mayan Rivera which was the first 5* Hotel we have been and stayed in. We stayed all inclusive for the full 2 weeks. The hotel is spilt into 2 area's which both have a sperate Reception area which means you get seen to quicker. We stayed in the beach side one but i am lead to believe they are both the same , just easier for the hotel to look after. We was in a Junior Suite which has the following: -

- 450 square feet Standard Junior suite
- Living Area
- 2 Full size double beds
- Individually Controlled Air Conditioning
- Mini-bar (including Water, Soft drinks & Beer. Replenished daily)
- Ceiling fan
- Double Jacuzzi
- Hair-dryer
- Telephone in Bathroom
- Bathrobes & Slippers

The hotel has 3 large swimming pools, which 2 of them have a swim up bar. The other has a health bar but isn't swim up. There is also a lazy river which runs around part of the hotel. There was 6 a-la-carte retaurants :-
steak house open in the evenings
Mexican
Italian
Mediterranean
Brazilian barbeque
Japanese
French restaurant - You have to pay for this one.
Cajun
We did the steak house first which was very good. Then we did the italian which was very small portations and the service & food was very poor. Then we did the Japanese which was very good and abit of a show as they cook in front off you. Then we did the cajun which was good and the brazilian which was also very good. We paid extra to have a lobster and steak dinner on the beach where there was only 2 other couples with live music playing. While we was out having this dinner , our room had rose petals and candles etc put in it. The food was a very good standard and alot to pick from at all times. The beach was a nice white colour and the sea was lovely. When the weather turned though the sea got a little rough but nothing to much. There was 2 bars at the beach and one had a snack bar as well. There is PADI scuba diving center which does course, trips and other water sports. There are also a few ruins on site which where good to look around and had lights in on a night time. There is a quite large spa on site which has to been paid for extra but you can use the Gym free of charge which i did around 9 days out of the 14 which had all the equipment. We have a private message on the beach which cost around $94 for 2 people for 25 minutes on our own on a private part of the beach and this was very good but a little but expensive due to we only got about 20 minutes in total after we walked to the area and that.

The hotel is set in a jungle setting which is nice to look at and the beach line is lovely. Very good gym and spa area.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling, Spa and Resort
  • Written August 24, 2010
Tip Photo

The hotel from the beach

• ciaobella55 profile photo ciaobella55
  • Reviews: 61

Posada Suuk: Yoga holiday in Playa

Posada Suuk has studio and larger apartments, all self-contained. It is very tastefully decorated and each apartment has a verandah onto the lovely garden.

Ananda Yoga From The Heart has its yoga school here in the palapa on the roof, and for 600 pesos a month you can do unlimited yoga classes - there are at least 5 daily M-F, fewer on weekends.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 7, 2010

My room Apartment 5

• Pat&ZoAnn profile photo Pat&ZoAnn
  • Reviews: 164

Hotel Plaza: Close to the beach, affordable

We found a number of hotels with vacancies, but this was close to the beach. We found it to be very clean and comfortable. It has a small parking space in front, usually only two cars can fit. We would definitely stay here again.

Close to the beach, however, if you are in a ground floor room that faces 1st. Ave., the hotel across the street (a diving hotel) marshals it's diving clients in the morning.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 15, 2008

Hotel Plaza, with Faro and the beach in background

• graz-ie profile photo graz-ie
  • Reviews: 101

Hotel Santa Barbara: Hotel Santa Barbara

I also stayed three days in Playa and in this Hotel. It was very nice, clean and the people working there were also very friendly - helping me out with informations.
That one morning I had a Towel-Dog standing on my bed - that was so cute.
The one thing I have to say as a negative thing is that there was no save inside the room and the young girls working downstairs told me about one big one but for me too many people were running around there and at the end I felt safer taking my stuff (camera etc) with me or just leaving it in the room and hoping for the best.

• Written October 8, 2005

the room - had two beds

Maya Tulum: Wow

We did not stay at this hotel but can tell you from what we SAW there it is stunning. Palapas on the beach, powered only by candlelight. I am not sure,but I don't believe they have electricity. Once you see the rooms and how your door of your palapa opens right onto the sand, you won't miss it.
Beautiful Palapa restaurant offers vegetarian food by the menu full, plus some seafood.

A beautiful cove all to itself.

• Written December 21, 2003

Maya Tulum

• Joan58 profile photo Joan58
  • Reviews: 238

Playa Maroma: An Italian holiday village

I was at 'Playa Maroma', an italian holiday village immersed in the natural jungle. Here they are trying to maintain an intact environment. From the reception and the main restaurant you have to take a long straight path for to reach the swimmingpool and the beach. Along this path another ones branch off that reach the residential blocks hided in the jungle.

On the whole is a very nice village full of facilities. There is only one thing wrong, it's 3 kilometers far from the main road , so you must take a taxi for to go out. I called it 'a jail in heaven'!!

• Written September 7, 2002

• DellyM profile photo DellyM
  • Reviews: 97

We specifically chose to stay...

We specifically chose to stay at the Omni Peurto Aventuras hotel. Situated directly on a secluded sandy beach, this 30 room hotel with its friendly, helpful staff suited us perfectly. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a quiet, peaceful holiday in a secluded, relaxing spot.

Although this is a small hotel, there is a large swimming pool, a gym and dive centre within the grounds. Each room has its own jacuzzi on the balcony area, coffee making facilities, mini-bar, satellite tv, safe, air-conditioning, telephone, radio/alarm and hairdryer. You are also provided with clean beach towels daily, plus a bathrobe for use throughout your stay. The only bad point to this hotel, which was minor, was the smell of mildew in the room. The bed headboards are made of a raffia, which emits the mildew smell, I guess due to the humidity. However, our noses got used to the smell as we didn't notice it after the first couple of days.

• Written September 3, 2002
Tip Photo

• jopapa profile photo jopapa
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa de Gopala: One of Playa's best low priced.

Larry is the owner and hails from Wash. DC. The entry to this hidden gem will put you in the Caribbean MOOD!! The rooms are clean and spacious. Very friendly staff. "Leave a MINT and some pesos on your pillow in the morning and get great service from the cleaning staff. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is a jungle in the middle of Playa.
I have stayed there two years in a row...

Casa de Gopala shares a pool with another great hotel, Hotel Tucan. They connect through a beautiful tropical garden with a 14ft. deep pool. Scuba trainning!!!. On the roof which you find climbing a spiral staircase has a great view of Playa and the Caribbean.

• Related to: Family Travel, Diving and Snorkeling