Mosquito Beach Hotel

Calle 8 y Zona Federal Maritima (Formerly Albatros Royal), Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya 77710

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• tzech's Profile Photo

Designer & Swank

I stayed at the Mosquito Beach sister to the larger Mosquito Blue hotel and was really impressed. It's a small designer hotel with great rooms and NO KIDS!!! The pool is perfect for small lounging groups listing to their chilled out selection of music. The really great part is it's located on one the best and most centrally located parts of the Playa del Carmen beach.

Unique Quality: They have a little attached Beach Club with a restaurant serving up some really great meals. The spot includes these great huge cushions on the beach that allow you to just hang out and watch the world go by. I highly recommend it!

Directions: Just off 5th Ave.

More about Mosquito Beach Hotel

We loved the Mosquito Beach!

by TripAdvisor Member Anitamarita23

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Mosquito Beach hotel March15-21 and it was excellent. We read many reviews before we went, and laughed at all of the picky people who clearly needed everything beyond perfection. The rooms were dark but not too dark. After being in the sun for 7 hours everyday a nice nap in a dark room was perfect. There was definetly enough light to do your makeup. The beach was amazing and the service was excellent. Because it is not all inclusive everyone was very attentive. The only downside to this hotel were some of the other guests staying there. Clearly they were too high class for this great hotel and too demanding as well. Everything was within walking distance and probably the only problem we had was a couple issues with our room key. We couldn't get our room to lock our first day arriving, and an hour before we were going to leave we couldn't get back into the room. Other than that, the staff was very accomodating, the bartender Zac was great and our servers Julio and Jose were excellent. It was the best vacation either of us has had and we would definetly reccommend it to anyone who is going to Playa del Carmen. The best resturant that we visited in Playa was La Palette it was directly across the street from our hotel. The owners were very accommodating and the food was exquisite. It was our last meal of our trip and we only wish that we had found the resturant earlier. Definetly worth checking out. Overall the hotel was amazing, the service was amazing and the whole trip was just perfect. Definetly check out the Mosquito Beach!

Outstanding!

by TripAdvisor Member WaterfordGroup

First a TIP: When arriving in Cancun airport, more likely than not, it will be a zoo. Make your way as efficiently as you can to the outside. Ignore all pleas of any person, specifically, inside the airport that they will help you. In reality, it is a way for them to sell you something. Once outside, relax and get your bearings. If you have arranged pick-up, I found the 'authorized' porters to be very efficient in assisting to the right bus, van or other transport.

Yes, this is a long string of thoughts; however, if you only read two reviews, this one and the one following, you will see the real story of Mosquito Beach.

Having read all the reviews on TripAdvisor on Mosquito Beach, I did not have many surprises awaiting me. Except perhaps a pleasant surprise once I realized just how picky some people are. So here is my review of the hotel, it's staff, the restaurant and our trip.

My husband and I booked our vacation through worldlinks.com who were extremely helpful. Our stay was for 14 days.

Arriving at Mosquito Blue early is good, as the street is still accessible, with the OK of the police guarding the road. Since you have to cross 5th Ave. I guess they try to keep road traffic to a minimum. We arrived well before 3:00 check-in, but we were happy to enjoy a delicious lunch and margaritas down at the beach restaurant. The service was excellent and certainly set the stage.

We had booked a White Sands room with the request of an ocean view. Yes, you can see the ocean through the trees, but it is not right on the beach. Perhaps I was a little disappointed, but that quickly went away. None of the rooms are with the exception of one of the suites.

Once in our room, the cleaniless jumped out at you, and I found absolutely no odour. It is a challenge without a dresser; however there is plenty of room in the closet to hang-up your dressier items. Efficiency is in order in finding spots for everything. And yes, the toilet is square. Not the most comfortable and definitely in Mexico, where if you are like most, you do spend some time in there. LOL. Oh, and don't plan on plucking your eyebrows for the duration, there just isn't enough light in the bathroom.

The TV was great and made even better as we had brought our portable DVD and hook-ups, so were were able to watch movies every night.

Yes, the room is dark ... but there is nothing better than crawling up to room after a day of drinking on the beach for an afternoon siesta ... closing the curtains and being in total darkness. And, incredibly quiet. We really cannot figure out the complaint of noise, as we heard nothing outside of our little world. We really didn't spend much time in the room outside of sleeping, which I would hope you wouldn't with so many things to do right outside your door.

It's the little things in hotels that make it. The outstanding service jumps out at me in every aspect. The cleaning staff, under Claudia, the Front Desk crew (I met and spoke with Fernando and Tania quite a bit), the restaurant staff.

From the very first day they went out of their way to be helpful. My thanks to Brad, Pedro, Manuel, Carlos, Jose, Julio ... and especially Gonzolez ... who worked the hardest. The food was excellent, a great variety to choose from. My compliments to the chef.

When it rained, which it did a fair bit, they ran around handing out extra towels. In the evenings, they would show up at your door with extra towels ... how wonderful. In so many places, you have to beg for an extra.

We noticed that so many people did not appreciate the decor and within minutes after checking, were asking to be moved. As with everything they did, they were polite and accommodating to every visitor, no matter how abusive they were to the staff. Which we did see on several occasions.

Tania was so helpful in booking our tour to Tulum/Xel-Ha. I would highly recommend that if you are considering doing something to check with the hotel first, as it was the best deal on the strip ... and by far an excellent day. Of course, we had hooked up with a great couple (Bill and Noel wonderful meeting you) to spend the day with.

If you don't want to spend your time fighting for a beach towel, dealing with hordes of people (as in an all inclusive) and children ... they definitely I would recommend Mosquito Beach. A smile goes a long way with anyone, and the staff here are no different. They are wonderful people, and contributed to an excellent vacation in Playa del Carmen.

Restaurant recommendations: Cafe del Agua, Hemingways, The Glass Bar, Ajuu, Media Luna and of course Mosquito Beach for lunch.

A great evening can be spent at Siesta Fiesta or was it Fiesta Siesta. Live music and entertainment.

If you are Canadian ... There are at least 3 sports bars that have multi-tv hockey games ... hmmmm.

Enjoy your stay ...

Wonderful place in Playa

by TripAdvisor Member playaTx

After reading several mixed reviews, I was hesitant to book Mosquito Blue. I could not have been more pleased when I arrived at the hotel. I arrived early and the staff was very kind to keep my baggage safe until my room was ready. When it came time to check in I was told that there was a problem with my room and as the bad reviews came rushing to my mind I was instantly relieved when Fernando upgraded my room with no hassle. I had originally booked the white sands room and ended up in one of the two larger suites. I stayed in room 215. The room was what a salesman would call ambient and ladies would be smart to bring lighting. I found it relaxing. The room had a large plasma tv and the furniture was ultra modern and a little uncomfortable. The beach is wonderful with an attentive staff and terrific location. Bedding could be improved. While the sheets are decent, the matress is a little stiff. I was concerned about the mildew comments. My room had a very nice smell to it and my feet were never stained from the floors. Perhaps closer to the beach there may be more moisture in the room but mine was fine. There were quite a few europeans there and I saw them hassle the front desk quite a bit about their rooms but for the most part, I saw happy people. The views are not outstanding. I could see the water from my room but I do not see how any of the rooms could have a terriffic view due to the hotel layout. I spent most of the time on the beach and the restricted view of the rooms was not a concern to me. To wrap this up, I would and will stay here again. The staff was wonderful to me and the hotel was clean and well maintained. The beach was very nice and I had no trouble at all getting a chair on the beach. They are very restrictive about guests only using the facilities. The crowd is not what I would call young but they seemed a little less "spring break" than the hotels my companions were at. I am back today and wishing I was there. It is very relaxing. One note, I also visited the mosquito beach and although it is not on the beach, it is also very nice. It is in a bit louder location than the mosquito beach.

Absolutely the Best Vacation spot!

by TripAdvisor Member getoutofOmaha

My husband and I stayed at the Mosquito Beach Hotel March 22-27 and absolutely loved it! First of all there is no need to do an all-inclusive because the main road is full of great restaurants. The restaurant in the actual hotel was great for eating breakfast or during the day while lounging on the beach but for dinner definitely explore 5th Avenue. Drinks can be a bit expensive but there is a convenience store right there where you can buy cold beer and bring it down to the beach. The staff was extremely helpful - they always helped us to set up our beach bed with a table and umbrella. The beach beds are the way to go and are usually available until 10:00 a.m. - so just get out there to reserve one before taken. There are plenty of chairs and lounges available too. The rooms were beautiful - and it was great to have a plasma TV in the room to watch at night with lots of English channels. We did not have a problem with lighting in the room - made it very romantic. The wood floors definitely had a musty smell but nothing that bothered us - just very natural. The hotel property is absolutely perfect and VERY well taken care of. We travel quite a bit and this hotel is special because it is very unique and right on the beach. It truly is a perfect vacation there. We have stayed in Cancun and prefer Playa Del Carmen for the older and laid back crowd. TIP: for getting to the hotel - save yourself some money and take the bus from the airport. When you come out of airport take a right and go all the way down to the buses - it only cost $8 a person to get right to the bus station in Playa Del Carmen (about 1 hr. ride) then just walk 5 minutes to the hotel!!!!

We recommend highly for food: La Parilla right on the corner and Bruno's Italian restaurant down the way on 5th Avenue.

Perfect 4-day weekend!

by TripAdvisor Member kmd3

We just returned from a really nice long-weekend trip to PDC and stayed at Mosquito Beach Hotel. We loved it! There is no other beachfront small hotel that even comes close. On past trips to Playa we have stayed other places...this is the best.
We parked our car on the street and walked to the hotel with our rolling suitcase. (Most every guest in Playa is doing the same thing).
The public areas are lovely and interesting. We wached a group of guys enjoy the pool. I agree that the rooms were dark but we mostly were only in them to sleep-too much to do in the daytime to be spending time indoors. No, there isn't a lot of storage space but we travel very lightly and it didn't phase us. Many guests sat out late at night on their balconies and porches and it created a nice atmosphere.We did have trouble with our doorlock and kept having to re-program the room key. There was a weird smell in the room but we found a ceramic container hidden under the TV that had some kind of room deoderizer or something in it. We put it on our porch and it was better after that. On past trips the beachfront noise from bars and music was really loud but this time it was very quiet. Not sure why but we guess it is just not predictable. The guys helping with beach chairs were just great. They didn't bug us to order drinks or food like at other places and they were so pleasant. Many beaches in front of other hotels are filled up with fishing boats or other boats but other than a snorkeling pickup/drop off once a day, the beach in front of Mosquito beach is clear and lovely and clean and inviting.
The only thing that bothered us was the young woman at the check in desk. We booked through Expedia and everything was in order when we arrived. However, she had trouble checking us in, didn't really know if we were in the right room, and didn't know who to ask. She kept forgetting things and would have to check again for the room number and then check again to see if our name was on the room and then check again at Mosquito Blue to learn when we were leaving though it said it on the paper she was using. We asked if water bottles were provided to us and she didn't know. Could we have an extra towel - no. She was just ditzy, couldn't focus and was not knowledgable about the hotel. Maybe she was new? On the other hand, when Fernando was at the desk, service couldn't be better. He was wonderful. The check in desk has no internet access so Fernando and the young woman would have to keep calling Mosquito Blue with questions...a little weird.
We will definately stay there again since it we don't like the big all inclusives and no other small hotel is as nice or has as nice a location on the beach as well as convenience to the middle of town.

FABULOUS LOCATION & HOTEL!

by TripAdvisor Member LeilaniGirl

I read your reviews posted on tripadvisor before I visited Playa del Carmen. My husband and I have stayed at the Blue Parrot and were looking for something different. Adult's only! We have a timeshare in Cancun and always take a side trip to Playa del Carmen for relaxation! We had my brother in tow for this was his first trip to Cancun and we didn't want him to miss the scene at Playa del Carmen. When we arrived at Mosquito Beach we did not have reservations and had asked if they had anything available. We lucked out! The room that they set us up with was fantastic! Room 209. It is a little dark, but if you open up the windows and the patio doors everything has that nice moody glow. The staff is very friendly and have gone out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. We spent the day bathing in the sun on their black beds on the beach and sun chairs that have shades attached to them so you don't burn your face sipping Mojitos! THOSE WERE THE BOMB! The pescado (fish) cerviche' is very tasty! They also had a loud sound system that would pump out a variety of music so you were never bored! As the sun was setting we went to our room to sit on our patio to take in everything before the evening began. Our neighbors were fun next to us and across - we ended up partying with them that night! The hotel's pool is very refreshing and deep. They have a couple of black beds on the water if you feel like lounging around. The sound of their trickling water feature is so soothing also. So I asked my brother what he thought of the place. He said he was so amazed that he will be returning this summer!!!!

Side note - don't get too drunk there is no railing to get to your rooms if you are on the second floor. When we return I think we might ask for a room poolside. It would be nice to sit on your patio overlooking the pool and just dip in when you feel like it.

Lovely Hotel - and I'm really picky

by TripAdvisor Member SadieCO2

We booked our room for this hotel in January but after reading all the horrible reviews at this site I started to get worried. So, I sent Mosquito Beach an email voicing my concerns. Specifically, the comments about dark rooms, mold on walls, floors staining feet. They wrote back essentially saying that their hotel is wonderful and unique, there are specific challenges running a hotel in a tropical climate but they are continually working on those issues. Since all other hotels were booked for the week, we had no choice but to go and find out for ourselves. Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised.

To give you a bit of background, I am very hard to please. Most hotels never live up to my expectations. However, upon arrival at Mosquito Beach I was thrilled. Their entrance is lovely, the staff was friendly and accommodating, the grounds were beautiful, the beach location gorgeous.

The first evening we were in room 207, a top floor "White Sand" room. I had requested a room w/ an ocean view but that room (206) wasn't available until the next day. The gentleman that showed us to our room was pretty cute though and put an ocean scene on the plasma TV for us. Since we arrived in the evening, this did not bother me one bit.

Quick breakdown of the rooms (206 & 207) - they were spotless, the wood floors did not stain our feet, the closets had plenty of space, the bathrooms were great w/ a really cool black tile shower (although the floors of bathroom in 207 had water seeping up from below - probably from shower?).

I hate rooms with tile floors in the bedroom and floral print bedspreads. All Inclusives are a nightmare in my book. SO to me, this room was lovely.

No bugs, no mold, no staining, no musty smell, plenty of counter space and closet space (what are you people bringing on vacation w/ you?).

Now the downside -

The rooms were dark, no doubt about it. During the day, if you open the curtains you have sufficient light. At night, although the lighting was romantic, it was not good for getting ready to go out. Ladies, I don't wear much makeup but if you do - bring a lighted mirror. There is NO WAY you'll be able to see what you're doing. This bugged me. I've stayed on an island where the electricity to the entire island is turned off at 6pm and that didn't bother me. However, that island didn't have much of a night life.

The walls are paper thin. Our first morning we woke up to our neighbors chatting and their TV. It sounded like the TV was in our room. I could hear it, word for word. Luckily, after that first morning we didn't have neighbors again until our last night. They, thank goodness, never turned on their TV and spoke quietly.

Construction next door. Every morning at 7am the banging would start, but it only seemed to last for 1/2 hr. Actually not as bad as you would think. I am easily irritated and somehow this noise didn't bother me.

The bed sheets were a bit rough. Odd because the pillowcases were soft. If you had a sunburn it would be a painful sleep

Wow, I'm writing a novel, let me wrap this up.

The beach was gorgeous and that's where we spent our days. The chairs are just as comfortable as the loungers (unless you're trying to get a tan). Their food although good is over priced. One exception is their fruit w/ yogurt and granola - very tasty and inexpensive.

It seemed our room (206) had the only full ocean view other than the suite. Other rooms, if you look sideways from your balcony you can see the ocean. Seemed rooms over pool would be nice also.

I might stay there again. What makes me hesitant is only the thought of having noisy neighbors the next time , it's a crap shoot on that. We just got lucky it seems. Also I would make a trip to the local WalMart and buy a lamp for our room. If it weren't for those 2 issues I would definitely stay there again.

Keep in mind, we tend to remember every detail of the bad when writing reviews. Overall, we had a wonderful time.

Note: For comparison, hotels I've loved - Ana Madara - Nha Trang, Vietnam , Hotel Monaco (Miles Davis Suite) - Denver, CO. I like Westin, W, Sofitel, Omni (sometimes)

Exactly what we have been looking for!

by TripAdvisor Member sistersweetly

Memory is a bit sketchy after a week of margaritas, so I'll start with day one and work forward from there.

Upon arrival at Cancun International, we were to meet our pre-paid, pre-arranged transfers from the Mosquito Beach. Either due to the HUNDREDS of drivers waiting with signs or because the hotel didn't show up at all, we were a bit lost for a while. We finally found a driver from the Mosquito Blue with somebody elses name on the sign and he ran to get our car and within 10 minutes we were on our way (wonder what happened to the Nelson party?). He was a sweetheart and even stopped at a 7-11 so that we could pick-up a 6-pack of Corona. We're not total alcoholics, but were used to the all-inclusive deals where they great you on the bus with an ice-cold mexican beer and we'd been waiting for this vacation for over a year. We made it from CUN to the Mosquito Beach in record time and were able to be driven right up to the front door. We did NOT have to walk from a block or more to check-in. Granted, our driver did blow past the street cop without a glance...

Reception truly is nothing more than a table and a laptop, but, really, when there are only 33 rooms, what more do you need? The woman at check-in was warm and considerate. Decor is phenomenal. Really, we've always stayed at these monstrous all-inclusives and this hotel is so simply chic and clean-lined. No pretension, no marble floors and chandeliers. Seriously, why do you want to see Italian marble in a small seaside town in Mexico. I certainly don't.

Since we were so early, we grabbed our bathing suits to head to the beach and they watched our luggage until our room was ready. Had a lovely afternoon drinking margaritas and watching the people walk by.

The beach is quite lovely and the hotel staff is fierce about making sure that non hotel guests don't commandeer the chairs. Just like every other resort and hotel in the WORLD, people go down to the beach at 7:00am and "reserve" their chairs with a towel. It's what people do and to expect otherwise is quite simple-minded. The hotel has a limited number of lounges, but quite a few of the sling-chairs, which are really quite comfortable. If you're unable to score a lounge, they will provide a nice, large mat to lay in front of your chairs so that you can sun your back.

Our second day there was an issue when we found two lounges in the front row, right by the ocean, that had no towels. We grabbed them, thinking they were the "place to be." Not 5 minutes after we sat down, Brad, the manager, asked us to leave explaining that he was saving them for a friend of the owners. I became, basically, beligerant because I, as a guest staying in the Open View room, was being asked, no matter how kindly, out of a chair that we were entittled to. I threw a fit, left the beach and moved to the pool.

Sweet, poor Brad did us the biggest favor of our stay. We have no idea why nobody uses the pool. It's in the sun from 11am until 4pm, primo sun-time. The water is cold?!?!? When it's 95 degrees out in the full sun, I certainly don't want a heated pool. We felt like royalty and to apologize for the inconvenience of having to move, Brad sent us a bottle of quite good champagne. He took off his shoes, and actually walked into the water to serve us champagne in a silver ice-bucket and long-stemmed champagne glasses. Couldn't have hurt the hotel much to have us sitting in the middle of this beautiful pool drinking champagne...we felt like royalty. For the rest of the trip, we would spend the first couple of hours at the beach and then move to our own private "mattress' in the pool. Lovely.

Oh...our room. We upgraded from Expedia's White Sands room to the Open View Suite. It was huge. We walked around barefoot all week and, being a huge clean freak, found no issues with the floors. Yes, there are no dressers and we ended up keeping our undergarments, bathing suits and non-wrinkables in our suitcase for the entire 7 nights. However, the closet was plenty big to hang up our nicer clothes and the shelves in there worked great for shorts and t-shirts. The room IS dark at night, but we knew what to expect. The decor was striking. Towards the end of the trip, when we had a couple days of rain, we did notice an odor of mildew as well as a bit of a water stain from the shower in the room above us.

Okay...my boyfriend is mocking the length of my post but I just want everybody to know how kick-[--] this place was.

NOT a big fan of the square toilets. Trying to fit a round bottom into a square hole? Uh-huh. Other than that? The shower is kick [--]. Yes, again, it's dark but I planned for that and brought a lighted make-up mirror.

I've read some complaints about some type of techno or dance music at the beach but I have no idea what anybody is talking about. The bar at this hotel closes at 7pm...if you're going to bed before then, then yes, you should be staying at a much stuffier, boring hotel.

Noise level in OUR room was non-existent. The beds are so incredibly comfortable and neither one of us had a complaint about the softness of the sheets. Only problem that my other half had was that we couldn't get a second blanket. First night we asked for one, front desk said they'd have to go to the other hotel to get one and it never came. They recommended turning down the A/C, which works INCREDIBLY well.

Housekeeping was wonderful and we always had a fresh set of sheets. Balcony was great and the other furniture in our suite was mucho comfortable.

The waiters on the beach and at the bar, Manuel, Rikki and Pedro, were all absolute sweethearts. Every single one of them. The food in the restaurant was amazing and no more expensive than any other mid to upscale restaurant in Playa.

Internet cafe across the street and right next door for only 15 pesos an hour. Face it...you're on vacation...GET THE HELL OFF THE COMPUTER. Also...empty all the crap out of your fridge, store it on one of the shelves in your closet until you're ready to check-out, and fill it with bottled water you've bought from a Mexican convenience store on 5th avenue. 6-pack of 2 litre bottles for 6 bucks...definitely better than paying 60 pesos a bottle at any hotel or restaurant. What else for my brain dump? Book your excursions thru the company the hotel recommends (I'm sorry, I wish I could remember their name). We took a full-day tour to Tulum and then Xel-ha and instead of being crammed into a tour bus, we were in a private little van with only 4 other people. We got a PERSONALIZED tour at Tulum and seriously detailed instruction at Xel-ha from the most amazing tour guide EVER all for only $70 a person.

To be honest, boyfriend and I are completely flummoxed and entertained by the frivolous and petty complaints we've found on here. We've stayed in 5 and 6 star hotels, and we found the Mosquito Beach completely charming. We're done with all-inclusives. There are far too many amazing restaurants and wine-bars in Playa del Carmen to even consider down-grading ever again.

All this being said...there could definitely be some future issues...I sincerely hope that the hotel can address the few problems they have with the moisture in the rooms...it would be a terrible shame to see all this beautiful wood just rot.

We've already booked our trip for next year.
Hi Crystal and Steve!!!!

xxxooo

Let there be light

by TripAdvisor Member KeithWare

This review should really be in two parts. One for the exterior of the hotel and one for the interior. First off, no problems with the service, more discreet than freindly in a lot of cases but that is fine by me. The hotel is "cool" looking and has a great location right on the beach. That is the primary drawing point about the place, its location and exterior is great and the bar on the beach and restaurant are also quite good. The craziest thing about this place has to do with the interior design of the rooms. All dark Brown, grey, and black. The floors are stained so dark that the first night I was there I dropped my passkey and could not find it until I could open the blinds and let some sunlight in the next day. Very strange design choice. That combined with the fact that there is an absence of lighting. (there were two bedside lamps in our room, one of which was red and shaped like a uterus), combined to make the experience of being inside kind of disorienting. However, it was clean and the outside of the place is great, but they should have taken a hint from their other Hotel, Mosquito Blue, and lightened the rooms up a bit. Make that a lot. Sometimes you can try to be so hip that you end up shooting yourself in the foot, and that is certainly the case with this place.

Comments