Mosquito Blue Hotel

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Quinta Avenida Entre 12 y 14 Calle Norte, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

Expedia.com Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com

Satisfaction Average

• AlekToronto's Profile Photo

Cute, Romantic, Laidback

Decided to check out this cute little hotel.
    Location is excellent as it is situated right on the tail end of 5th Avenue which is buzzing with people all day and night long.
    Rooms are small but suitable for 2 people, only drawback was the beds were muy soft and hard to sleep on.
    Service was friendly and easygoing. No meals are included but there are many cafes and restaurants just seconds away.
    The crowd here is mostly 25-45 and couples enjoying themselves and the sophisticated party scene.
    This hotel is recommended as an alternative to the monstrous and impersonal giant resorts in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera.

Unique Quality: Quaint, arsty fartsy, laidback, colourful, reasonable rates for quality.

Directions: Playa del Carmen 5th Avenue Area

More about Mosquito Blue Hotel

Mosquito Blue, Playa del Carmen

What a great place to stay! This charming hotel is serene and peaceful (we had a mini suite), yet located steps from bustling 5th Ave. and blocks from the ocean. Don't miss The Glass Bar if you're a wine lover. We enjoyed sitting at the bar sipping a beautiful Brunello de Montelcino watching the street scene immensly. Although we didn't have dinner there, the food looked great and will be our choice on the next visit! The room itself was spacious and had a very comfortable bed. Outstanding, can't wait to go back!

A Most Pleasant Surprise

A frequent business traveler, I always prepare myself for disappointment when traveling for vacation. Sorting through the easily found hype and criticism, the hotel choice still ends up being a "crap shoot."

Mosquito Blue turned out to be one of those rare experiences that exceed your expectations. Beginning with the attentive staff, your stay should prove to be one of the more pleasurable experiences in and around PDC. The hotel is ideally located and a short walk to all PDC shopping and restaurants. The hotel includes vouchers to the Tukan beach, which is a 10-15-minute walk, and on one of the best stretches of PDC beach.

The hotel facility is not an all-inclusive, grand property. Instead, it is two-story, multi-building facility surrounding two pools, beautiful gardens, and an extremely charming open-air two story “library.” The atmosphere is relaxing, congenial, and pleasant. All of the decorations and furnishings are unique, beautiful, warm, full of character, and in excellent condition. The rooms are of average size and air conditioned, but every room looks out over a beautiful pool and garden with windows and doors that open.

My wife will attest to how fussy I am about where we stay - and we rarely reside in anything less than 4 stars. However, Mosquito Blue taught me that star ratings have much more to do with the scope of facilities than the quality, style, or comfort.

Except when we travel with our family of 4 children (when we usually stay in a villa) we will always return to Mosquito Blue.

No Question. Stay here.

by TripAdvisor Member Freebirdiv

Just returned from Playa on Feb. 24th. Mosquito Blue was possibly the most beautiful, charming and friendly hotel I have ever stayed in. I'm amazed that the previous writer found the staff unfriendly. Not only did we find the staff unusually accomodating (for ex. they ran out and parked our car for us at no charge every time we returned from a drive) but we also found them informative and entertaining. Big smiles greeted us whenever we left or returned. Enjoying my evening glass of wine in one of the little niches by the pool was sublime. In my opinion, anyone who would prefer the ultra hip "Deseo" across the street over Mosquito's layed back, elegant, gorgeous and peaceful atmosphere, only wants to be "in" or "ultra cool." My advice? Stay at Mosquito and just walk across the street for a drink.

Great Intimate Hotel

We needed a hotel for Saturday, March 20th after spending a week at Fisherman's Village. Before we left Canada I booked us into Mosquito Blue. I had read many negative reports on this hotel but it was quite the opposite. It is a lovely, charming, intimate hotel just off 5th ave. The room was clean and very nicely decorated. The staff were wonderful. Their restaurant is probably one of the nicest in Playa del Carmen. I would highly recommend this hotel and only wish that we could have spent more time there. It has two pools and they do not allow children. While it is not on the beach they do have access to a hotel on the beach which you can use. We would certainly stay there again!

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Akgambler

I am another picky traveler and I really enjoyed Mosquito Blue. This is not a large resort type hotel and if you plan to stay here you need to keep that in mind. However it is charming, well located, and has a lovely atmosphere. We spent a lot of time at the back pool and really enjoyed ourselves. The hotel plays nice jazz music each afternoon/evening in the courtyard and at the front pool. There is 24 hr internet access on a computer near the pool also. Our room was clean and we saw no bugs. Although - if you are going to go to Playa del Carmen especially during certain times of the year -you should expect to see some bugs. I saw the staff diligently spraying for pest control - what more can they do? We had a room right on the street and it wasn't too noisy at all. Our bed was actually surprisingly comfortable and I slept well every night we were there! Lastly - you step out your front door and are right in the best area for shopping, dining, etc.

2 negatives however. Our phone never worked and the staff never did deal with the situation. Some of the lobby staff can be a bit "stuffy". The bellman was about as helpful and friendly as anyone could possibly be - but the front desk clerks were not as friendly as they could be, depending on which shift you were dealing with. They could use some improvement in this "customer service" area.

Over all a really nice experience and we would go back and stay here again.

If you like Hip places, and not All inclusive, you found it!

Here is the deal... If you wish to stay at a hip joint then this is the place. Its not the Five Star Hotel, its simply a cool relaxing joint. Its not a MEGA resort so just don't expect what you would from the million dollar resort. It has a Europe feel to it and if you wish to avoid a place that has ten billion people from the States complaining about this and that then I strongly recommend Mosquito Blue. Wonderful grounds, fab location on 5th Ave, you walk out the hotel and you can cruz 5th Ave, enjoy the shopping & food at your doorstep. I tend to enjoy culture and adventure and this is a Hotel that will encourage you to get out and about enjoy the settings in Wonderful Playa Del Carmen (or just chill at the 2 small pools they have, also onsite a pool table, reading area and Internet access). They have coupons for a local beach about a 10 minute walk from the Hotel. If you dig Urban things give this place a try. I have stayed here twice and the first room we had was noisy, but so cool inside overlooking 5th Ave (hence the noise), we asked to move the following day and we found ourselves in a nice quiet room. For what it lacks in elegance it easily replaces in a coollio setting, and it seems to me to just be a healthy retreat. Last time I stayed I did see single large bug in the room ( I considered him to be my Amigo, but my girl didnt care for him to much ), the trip before I never once saw a bug in the seven days I was there. Its basically a jungle down there and im sure bug control is just impossible unless your locked in a vault, and part of me feels good that perhaps the hotel is not over sprayed with bug spray. ( I would rather see a bug here and there as opposed to having say Alztimer disease when I am older as pesticides are just so bad for you... just my 2 cents). Bottom line, its a clean, nice, cool place to stay and would take it over any mega resort any day.

A must read

I stayed there Feb. 18th-Feb. 21st of 2004 and I must say that it was a wonderful stay. Origianlly we had plans to stay at the Deseo but they were booked and so they recommended we stay at Mosquito. That's how we heard of this place. After visiting the Deseo my first choice would have been Mosquito. I was very happy with Mosquito. I am very visual and if you are a person that is taken by visual beauty and ambiance this is the place. We had a mini suite and it was very quaint. It's quite an attractive place. It truly gives you a sense that you are truly on vacation. The location is perfect and you have many attractions near by that you can walk to. One review said that the room smelled musky but we brought a scented candle that help eliminate that smell. It was not bad at all. It's just how Mexico smells. It's unavoidable. It's in the air. The workers were pleasant and also provided a blow dryer I needed that was not available in the room. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. The only negatives would be the linens on the bed. The sheets were soft but they need to invest in quality coverings. It was a little on the rough side. And by the way there is no gym. Walking everywhere though provides your daily workout.

Lovely place - but keep your belongings locked up

My daughter and I spent a wonderful week at this little gem in the middle of Playa. After a recommendation from my sister, who happens to live & work at the Lunata in Playa. ( no pool at the Lunata - otherwise would have stayed there ). The staff was extremely friendly, room was OK - curtains and bedspreads are in need of cleaning desperately. I made the mistake of not locking my pesos in the room safe, instead left my coin purse in the closet under T-shirts on the shelf, was poolside at the hotel the whole day and returned to our room to discover my $800 pesos ($80 U.S.) gone. I immediately informed management - and was given the money that was taken. It is unfortunate that the staff feels the need to rifle through closets looking for $ or valuables. The hotel is a wonderful little place - I hope they inform guests it is always wise to keep valuables close at hand or locked up - even if you are only a few feet away.

Do NOT stay at this Hotel

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights returning just yesterday. I stayed in a $150.00 per night deluxe room on the first floor overlooking the pool area. The air conditioner went out after the 2nd night. The refrigerator did not stay cold. There were BUGS in both the bathroom and on the bedside table. And the toilet seat was not connected to the toilet and my partner nearly fell in! We spoke directly to the front desk staff multiple times asking that these things be addressed. They were not addressed. On our final night we again complained and were not given satisfaction. They did not offer to put us in a different room and subsequently we did not sleep the entire night between the heat and the bugs. Upon checkout we asked that our last night be taken off our bill. The manager was called and he refused. Also, the night desk woman was very rude, was on personal calls the entire night(forcing us to walk to the desk every time we had a request as the desk # was busy), and did not hang up her calls to answer questions, instead looking at us like we were imposing on her phone calls!!! Do not, I repeat, do NOT stay at this hotel.

Nightlife

by jbrown25

What are the most fun and lively places to go at night and which nights are the best at each place?

by gfinesilver

the blue parrot is good most nights, i think thursdays is ladies night. cafe mambo is really fun huge salsa place with a big live band.

by YVRDave

There is anothe really popular place next to Mosquito Blue Hotel, I can't remember the name, there is a VW Van Taco stand outside of it.
Tequila Barrel is also popular as a pub type place.

by YVRDave

If you are male apparently Chilly Willies is also a popular late night place

by trvlrtom

Blue Parrot is always popular, but there is no harm in walking the beach for a short while just to see what is going on. Trust your own judgement - Playa isn't that big that you can't just wander and find things.

Comments