SM. 11 MZ. - 9 Lote 10, Puerto Morelos, Riviera Maya, 77580, Mexico

Booking.com Orbitz.com amextravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Disappointing Vacation & Totally Rotten Service!!

Just got home from a week at the Paradisus in Riviera Maya, Mexico. I've never written a review before, but felt this necessary. Heard lots of complaints & grumbling from the minute I got to this beautiful resort & couldn’t help but think there were a lot of spoiled people staying here. From the looks of the place I couldn’t help wonder what they had to complain about! Within 30 minutes I was concerned everyone had valid complaints (all different). Within 4 hours, I was so angry; sad & disappointed my vacation was being ruined & the money I’d saved wasted along with my dreams of a relaxing week in paradise. As each day passed I had more reasons to be disappointed. Forget Royal Service–you don’t get anything special at all. You don’t even get towels, a clean room, food when you want/need it, drinks, chairs to sit in at the pools or beach. I came to think of it as “Rotten Service”. I would not consider the service adequate for a standard low-rate hotel let alone a resort that boasts great service & states they take pride in the service they provide. They should be ashamed of their service–there is no reason for them to take pride in it.

My last full day/night there & the following day that I left, I did not even receive a clean towel. Thankfully I had a hand towel & a wash cloth that were not used previously–not enough to truly take care of my needs but I had to make do. A large bug I killed in the room my 1st day was still on the bathroom floor when I left a week later. The plate of fruit in my room on the 1st day turned bad very quickly–but sat there for the entire week. The bananas were black & the grapes had bugs crawling on them but they were never thrown out. I couldn’t toss them in the garbage myself because it was overflowing already as it had not been emptied since I got there. One day,I was excited to see the dirty towels off the bathroom floor when I got back to my room thinking it had finally been cleaned & hoping my sheets had now been changed, too–only to find that the dirty towels were just hung back up on the hooks behind my bathroom door! The disinfectant wipes I brought along for use outside my room were actually used to clean my bathroom for myself! The slippers left for my use in the room were dirty inside, clearly from someone else’s feet. Some of the bottles in my mini fridge had been previously opened, there were no snacks at all & the 2 small bottles of water didn’t last long & weren’t replaced. No one tells you only 2 restaurants are open for dinner each day or provides the schedule so you can plan accordingly. You think you’re going to eat at a different restaurant each night since they tell you they have several choices, but that doesn’t work out. You can’t get into ones that are open, because you couldn’t get a butler to reserve it for you the day before & they are full–only they are really only 1/3 occupied with lots of empty tables! Your butler is no where to be found after the initial introduction. Most times there were no bartenders at the outside bar areas (beach, pools, etc). You cannot get food anywhere but at the restaurants - if you can get a reservation or at the buffet when it's open (it is not always a convenient schedule depending on your other activities). If you do get lucky enough to get a pool cabana or beach palapa reserved-& there are not nearly enough available as there are guests who need them-you must claim it 1st thing in the am & don’t leave it to eat, go to the bathroom or hunt down a bartender or you will lose it. Met lots of people from many different places & many different lifestyles & expectations–not one of them were remotely satisfied with their stay.

All in all–the service was horrible! I don’t recommend this resort to anyone–you will be disappointed too and no one deserves this kind of let down on vacation. Go to a different resort & enjoy yourself!

More about Paradisus Riviera Cancun

My Perfect Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member morgrach

I feel so strongly about this resort and my experience that it warranted a review. For all those complainers out there, you need to enjoy life more! I recently got married May 02, 2010 and the Paradisus Riviera Cancun known now as NOW Sapphire RC. We were there at the time when it was changing over management. The process was so smooth that I would have never even noticed if it wasn't for the change in logos and name tags. Brides ... the romance office is not affected by these changes and continues to operate as they did before.
We went down with a group of 70 friends, family and some kids. There were so many unknowns before going down. Is everything going to go smooth? Will the guest have fun? Will the service be good? Will the food be good? Is the resort nice and clean? Most importantly will they be able to accommodate to all my wedding needs and for what price? These were all washed away from the moment that we stepped off the plane. The shuttle was waiting and easy to find. Our bags were carried for us everywhere. We were at the resort in less than half an hour and immediately checked in. As bride and groom we felt like royalty! We received a beautiful upgraded ocean front room with jacuzzi and cute coconut all inclusive bands that said bride and groom. There was a letter waiting from the wedding coordinator when we arrived that congratulated us and confirmed our appointment the following day.
The following day we met with Cecilia and Adrianna. The whole wedding was planned in less than 2 hours. You may feel that they are not getting back to you quick enough or you have so many questions that once answered you have 100 more? Once you arrive you feel like you are the only bride, all your questions are answered. The romance office works endless hours! These women are often in their office till after midnight returning emails and making phone calls to make your wedding wonderful.
The whole experience was stress free. The romance office has countless options and photos for flowers, cake, decorations and food. They speak great English and are able to incorporate any of your ideas, changes and variations.
The wedding itself was perfect. Victoria at the spa did my hair exactly how I envisioned. Everything was on time and SUPER well organized. The food was 5 star quality and DELICIOUS. The drinks following the ceremony were served immediately. Louis and Omar the Dj and sound system technicians played only what WE wanted and had the whole crowd dancing from the first song till two in the morning. The snack at Midnight was taquitos... they were delicious and exactly what the guest needed. An unexpected treat was to have the wedding coordinators and supervisors there all night to ensure the evening went smooth and to answer any questions. They also blocked off the beach for the ceremony so that people aren't walking along the beach behind. The beach isn't all that busy so you do feel private. The videography company through the resort ‘Mexican Wedding Photos’ was unbelievable. No one even noticed that he was there. The video was ready four days later and the quality was above and beyond our expectations. Advice: Pay to have a videographer because they day passes so fast and you miss and forget so much.
Side note: Cecilia from the romance office was unbelievable. She pre-booked slots at the a la carte restaurants for my guests each night. She coordinated a night to Coco Bongo for all my friends. She was always one step ahead and so well organized. She was always there to help.
All the guests came up to us during and after the wedding to say that this was the best wedding they have ever been to. It was more expensive than I would have thought but negotiations are always possible and it was worth every penny especially considering all the extras we wanted dj, private dinner, late night snack and open private bar. I would not change a thing. This hotel is the perfect place for a destination wedding.
The hotel was beautiful. Many of our guests are avid all inclusive people and say that this resort is a step above the rest. What set them apart was all the A La Carte restaurants. Every restaurant was delicious and 5 star quality. Your food came out looking fancy. The buffet was a favorite, so much variety and different every day. The service is unbelievable. The staff works so hard to make your stay great please tip them. You would tip back home for these services, this should not be any different. Your generosity goes a long way! The resort grounds are clean and well kept. The rooms are tidy and clean. There is some stick like seaweed floating on the ocean but nothing to complain about. It is cleaned up on the shore line multiple times a day. Water is very swimmable clean and little to no waves. The disco was a blast but we had a large group so it was fun every night we went. The evening entertainment was awesome. The performers are very talented.

Advice: Get your wedding attire dry cleaned at the resort following the wedding. They do a great job and the price is right.
My only area of improvement for the resort is their late night snack options. There was 24 hour all inclusive room service but the menu is limited and waiting is hard when you are hungry. A late night burger/ hamburger shack would be great. It would also be nice to have more signs and announcements for daily activities to get the guests involved.

Overall, it was an unbelievable resort and wedding experience. You should go!!

A very nice place to be on vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Ginette1

Comments from Gatineau, Québec, Canada. Week of May 15 to 22, 2010

I've been to Riviera Maya many times and decided to go back to Paradisus for the 2nd time this year. The Resort is now called Sapphire Riviera Cancun. At our arrival, we were guide to the Reception area with a glass of wine and fresh towels. There was no line up, the service was courteous and plaisant. We had originally booked a garden view room but decided to upgrade to a Ocean Front View with jacuzzi. The room was cleaned very well every day. No complaint at all. The food is good and very healthy (no junk food there) and I really appreciated that. We tried the French, Mexican, Mediterraneen, the Reef restaurants + buffet. Staff were always professional and everywhere you go, they smile at you and say Hola or Buena dias. The Japanese resto & Sushi were closed for painting/renovations. Every morning at the buffet for breakfast, we started with a 'mimosa' , the waiters always provided very good service. We always give tips and they well deserved it. I also enjoyed the musician in the restaurant on Sundays and mexican musicians at nights.The beach is beautiful and always cleaned. The shows at night were very good except for one that didn't fit 'the decor'. The Internet service cost $6.00US for 30 minutes. There was a lot of rain when we were there, we had umbrellas in each room, but they always offered transportation service to go back to your room at night. That was really appreciated. The resort is very nice and I will certainly go back. Just an idea for the new owner: may be built an extra pool strictly reserved for parents with their young, young children (up to age 10 yrs will be great). I dont have kids and I know that you have a pool reserve for adults but dont know if this is strictly reserve for royal service. I also really enjoyed the 'Zen place' area with sauna, cold and hot jacuzzi and the massage (that I tried the first time I was there). One thing I did not like: the gym. The new owner will have to change /remove the black rubber carpet on the floor and enlarge the area for more space. It's hard to do your exercise when we are more than 4 people at the same time.

Lovely Resort

by TripAdvisor Member suziebirdz

We wew initially booked at the Paradisus Resort, but found out it had changed names. We were prepared for the worst after reading some of the reviews. First let me begin by saying check in was a breeze. However, the hotel was not at full staff. The staff was curteous and helpful. We were escorted to our room which was Ocean Front. The resort is lovely. Our room was exquisite. It was large and had beautifully designed with a Jaccuzi on the deck. Cannot say anything bad about the room or the staff taking care of the room. It was immaculate every day with plenty of fresh towels and water and soft drinks stocked daily.

The pool is huge and clean and there are plenty of lounge chairs. We did not experience any problems with chairs or towels, but then again the resort was only 1/2 full. Also, the staff was quite attentive at the beach with serving drinks and getting us water.

Now for the bumps in the road. I do yoga on the beach everyday, so the first morning, I brought my mat to the beach and when I finished I left it on the lounge chair to save the chair. It apparently blew off. When I went to retrieve it, it was gone. I immediately went to the lobby desk and asked if they could tell housekeeping not to throw it away, but they were not very helpful in this area. They suggested I stop back at noon, which I did to know avail. I said what is my next step, but they didn't have a next step. So I knew it was pretty much gone. I asked if I could leave my name and room #, as they never offered.

Next, both my husband and I got pretty sick. We were very careful, only drinking the botttled water and not eating the salad, however, that didn't seem to matter. We could not leave the resort,as we were so sick and needed to stay by the bathroom. I had chills and fever for three days. We have been home 4 days now and we are still not feeling well.

The next bump was the restaurants. Of the five or six, at least two or three were closed every evening. This was not that big of a deal for us,as we were too sick to eat most nights. One night we went to the French restaurant and they were closed, so we popped into the Japanese and they had a 1/2 hour or so wait. I didn't feel like waiting, because of not feeling well, so we walked to the Buffet, but that was also closed,so next we went to the Mexican, where we were told they were short staffed and there could be 1/2 or more wait, they were not really sure how long. So we went back to the room for room service. Because they were down to 30% occupancy they were closing restaurants and only partial staff was on hand.

The beach was cleaned daily, but the water was full of sea weed and very murky. A little bit of a dissappointment, but there is nothing they can do about that.

If we didn't get so sick, it would have been quite a wonderful experience, as the resort is something else. Really quite beautiful and the people very pleasant.

Wonderful trip!

by TripAdvisor Member miss_dabeach

I just came back from a 1 week stay at the Now Sapphire Resort. After reading the handful of reviews I was extremely concerned about having a "rock bottom " experience at the Now Sapphire Resort and tried in vain to change our reservations . My family and I went expecting the worst. Much to our surprise our experience ended up being amazing! From the first moment we arrived we were greeted as special guests by the polite and friendly staff. Our room was very nice and clean and our mini frige was always fully stocked. The food at the restaurants was excellent and we never had to make a reservation to get in. I suspect this may be a temporary solution until the new owners figure out how to improve the reservation system but it was a really nice touch regardless. A friendly waitress brought us drinks by the pool and at the beach and the drinks were always very good. The grounds were lovely and the pool was very clean. Overall any request we had was literally met immediately and we felt like we were in a 5 star hotel. The most important part of my review though is that everytime we spoke to other vacationers during the week they were as pleased as we were with the service, cleanliness, food , staff and resort.

great trip

by TripAdvisor Member conor76

i,too, was apprehensive about going to this hotel given the recent reviews. However,start to end, our vacation was wonderful. The service people top to bottom were friendly and accommodating. We were with our three year old son. and he attended the kids club. The staff made him comfortable and they were very responsible regarding the sun,snacks,etc. We had an ocean front room and I would recommend it. The food was fine.
I have not written a review for anything previously, but given the the prior very negative reviews, I felt a justified counterpoint was in order. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Absolutely amazing

by TripAdvisor Member mleppell

My Fiance and I came to Sapphire not sure what to expect since the resort had changed management but we were pleasantly surpised. Everything was clean, the food was delicious, and the service was exceptional. The staff FAR exceeded our expectations of an all-inclusive resort. Every meal was elegant and the staff was very accomodating and friendly (even the buffet).

The pool bar staff remembered our names and made our stay very special (special shout-out to Oliver, great bartender and made our trip enjoyable). The entertainment staff were also very friendly and Fredy made a point to speak with all of the guests in the pool area to get people involved in the activities. I would definitely recommend this resort. If you're thinking that the negative comments about the food and such may sway your choice, remember that at all resorts you MAY get sick, its Mexico and it happens.

Only downside was that the beach was not dirty but had sea debris all along the coast and made it difficult to hang out in the water. The pool was very nice though and since it rained while we were there it was good enough, so if you're looking to spend your whole trip in the ocean, maybe see what other resort beaches are like. Still a great resort and Thanks for the great trip

Outstanding Service

by TripAdvisor Member czimmer

I visited Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun with my fiance' last month and had a wonderful experience. I have visited numerous all-inclusive resorts in Cancun and was pleasantly surprised with the outstanding service and accomodations of this resort. I was hesitant prior to the trip due to the recent change in management and less-than-stellar reviews that I had previously read. However, I do not have any complaints about this resort.

The food was delicious and elegant. Each restaurant had a variety to choose from on the menu and the service was PERFECT. As soon as we were seated, we had water and wine or another beverage poured without having to ask. The staff was so friendly, the food was delicious and the presentation was just beautiful.

The resort was clean and well-kept. Our room was kept in top-notch condition and we had 24-hour a day room service. When we called the front desk for something, they had a butler at our door within 5-10 minutes. The bar staff (especially Oliver) was amazing. The drinks were great and they were friendly and loved having the guests around. They kept the place entertaining. Freddy, the activities coordinator was also great. He organized activities in the water, soccer on the beach and different evening entertainment.

Everything was perfect. The reviews that have stated there is poor service were not accurate, in my opinion. We never had to ask twice for anything and the staff was very friendly and happy to serve us. The only complaint I have about this resort is the beach is not the best I have visited in Cancun. There is a lot of seaweed on the beach and until you get about 5 feet out from the sand. The resort works hard and has people going up and down the beach multiple times throughout the day to sweep the beach itself, however, it is hard to wade out into the water due to the massive amounts of sticks and weeds. However, the pool is great, the resort is spotless and always being cleaned, and I would still stay here again no matter what.

You are greeted at the lobby with champagne and cookies, what could be better? :)

Very Surprising!

by TripAdvisor Member lolibear

My family, friends and I just returned home from a wedding at the Now Sapphire Resort in Puerto Morelos. Reading the previous reviews had left us with little hope and no expectations for this particular resort. Fortunately, we had a completely different experience than those before us.
The staff was absolutely FANTASTIC. I have never experienced a resort with so many happy, helpful employees. All individuals working in the restaurants, bars and front desk spoke English very well, making communication much easier than expected. The staff working in the restaurants and bars were extremely accommodating and made sure that you were never without anything. The maid service kept the rooms impeccably clean and always stocked with towels, drinking water and pop. The front desk did a wonderful job at accommodating every one of our requests (and always did it with a smile). As far as tipping is concerned, I did not tip because I felt obligated to or because that was the only way to get decent service, I tipped the servers, bartenders and maid because they absolutely deserved it. If the staff was at all concerned about new management or possible job loss, it was not apparent to me, they all seemed genuinely happy to be there.
The beach and the pool were wonderful. Some previous reviews mentioned the mess of seaweed on the beach. Yes, there was seaweed (we WERE on the ocean) but the beach was combed many times a day, cleaning the sand and making the water a wonderful place to go and cool down. The pool was humungous and beautiful.
The rooms and food were great. The layout of the rooms was perfect and the hard beds were surprisingly comfortable. The food was wonderful. You were able to eat at the al a carte restaurants as many times as you desired and they were all fantastic. The buffet was always good and the 24-hour room service was extremely convenient. The resort was extremely well maintained and a beautiful place to spend a week.
Last but not least, the wedding was perfect. What better place to celebrate than on a beautiful beach with friends and family?
I would absolutely go back to this resort and recommend it to others.

Paradisus Riviera Cancun

by Henry13

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this resort. I have booked a Honeymoon there in November. I have read the guests may have a different status royal or normal. Whats the difference? How do you go about booking Restuarant reservations. Can this be done well before arrival? Thanks.

Comments