Occidental Allegro Playacar - All-Inclusive

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Serious lack of security

We (myself, husband, two grandchildren) stayed at the Allego Playacar (12/9/09 - 12/15/09). We booked two adjoining rooms. The place was lacking in many areas (rooms smelled, little/no air conditioning, extremely small beach) but what concerned us most was the lack of security.

On our second night, around 11:20 p.m., while I was sleeping with my grandaughter, a drunken man used his key card, entered our room, and started to argue "what are you doing in my room?" I screamed, tried to call security, and found out the phone did not work. The door between our rooms had swung shut, so my husband could not come to help. After I had called security (from his phone) I also discovered that neither of the rooms windows would lock (they could easily be slid open from the outside). I and my grandaughter were upset and frightened. We walked up to the lobby and requested that the locks be reset, and the windows locked. The night manager, Manuel, took care of our request, but the general attitude was that it was no big deal. No one else inquired as to what had happened. We stayed the week, but my grandaughter had a hard time sleeping. The phone in our room was never fixed.

We should have doubled locked the doors (and certainly did thereafter) but with two kids running from room to room, this was overlooked. We travel quite often, and have stayed in many different hotels, and I have never had an experience quite like this.

• Worst Vacation Ever!

We stayed from Dec 29/08 to January 3/09.
    We were a party of 5. Two teenagers, an 85 year Grandma and ourselves.
    To begin the drama the accommodations weren't what was promised.
    The facility is decaying and has very poor maintenance. Rooms and bathrooms have mold and the furnishings are totally outdated. The equipment as TV and phones is also old and malfunctioning and the channel selection very limited.
    There is barely a beach front. Don' be fooled by the promo pictures: the beach is totally eroded. The pool and beach equipment is old and non functional. The beach towels (US$ 50.00 if you loose one) are decolorized rags. The food is well below average and the staff is not friendly or well trained which is strange in Mexico. Dinner reservations were misplaced and we were mistreated.
    It gives the impression that Occidental management is squeezing the last penny of and old rundown facility and is not treating or training personnel well.
    Since there is a lot of walking from the rooms to the restaurants or shows, we even had to fight for a wheel chair, the only one avaialble there, for the 85 year's old grandmother. It's a pity that we had to spend New Years Eve there. We hope that after that disaster everything will be better during 2009.

Unique Quality: The only positive are the ocean views and leaving the place to never return again

More about Occidental Allegro Playacar - All-Inclusive

Loved the Allegro

My family and I vacationed at the Allegro Playacar April 8-16 2002. Its the only all inclusive I've stayed at so i can't provide comparisons but my family and I loved it. I''m 15 and. my brother is 17. While we were there, there were quite a few other familes with kids our age so finding things to do and people to talk to was no problem. The staff, especially the activities people (they all wear yellow shirts and are in charge of games, ect.) were incredibly friendly and spoke english very well. They are alot of fun to talk to and i'd encourage you to participate in the games/contests they offer. Also the shows they put on at night are really good and usually hilarious. One thing you HAVE to do if you stay at the allegro playacar is take the ferry across to Cozumel and may a day-visit to the Allegro there. Its about a $20 taxi ride. Once you get there go to the desk in the lobby that offers tours and sign up for the glass bottom boat. This was my favorite part of the trip. When your boat arrives you go down to the dock on the beach and a small boat pickes you up to take you out looking thriugh the boat and snorkeling. There was only our family and two other couples on teh boat when we went and that is probably about all it could hold. I wouldnt recommend wearing the life jackets when you snorkel inless you really feel you need to. I did the first time and couldnt hardly move. We stopped 2 other times and i went without and it was much better. They give you goggles and snorkel and flippers to use though i think you can bring your own. We had a wonderful time at the Allegro Playacar and i would reccommend it to anyone looking for a quality family all-inclusive

Fine, but not the Ritz

Before we went to the Allegro Playacar on March 1 - 8, 2003, I read this website daily and was absolutely panicked that we were going to a dump. I felt like I had to write a review because I found the other ones so helpful. Overall, I must say that my husband and I were impressed with the Mayan Riviera. The beach was gorgeous, with some of the nicest sand and the clearest water we'd ever seen. The resort was fine, not the Ritz, but we knew it wouldn't be. The pool areas and the grounds were lovely - the staff were forever sweeping off the pool area and the beach chairs and every morning a guy would rake the beach! They did seem to make an effort to make the place look nice and neat. The activities pool was fairly large and almost always empty, except when there was some sort of game going on. The relaxation pool (at which you could still hear all the activity going on) was nice too, and they both were kept fairly clean. It was sometimes tough to find shade because the shady areas are snapped up early in the morning. My husband had to go out before 6am to put our towels at a good spot, but we knew from other resort stays that this is pretty much the norm. And shade was definitely welcome later in the day - the weather was gorgeous - hot and sunny for the whole week. A couple of days were windy, with a strong current in the water. As for our room, we did request a renovated room when we arrived. You could tell that it was freshly painted and that some of the furniture was new, as well as the bathroom fixtures. The air conditioning was definitely new, it was FREEZING, which was great, especially considering other people's complaints. (Our room was #1511, by the way.) It wasn't the cleanest room ever - they didn't once wipe down the sink (toothpaste everywhere), but I think they changed the sheets daily. Our TV didn't work very well, but they replaced it with only a little bit of fuss. Unlike other resorts, they didn't charge a fee for the safety deposit lock for the safe in your room. The food was only OK, although we didn't eat at the a la carte restaurants. We enjoyed lunch - we ate junk food everyday at the pool snack bar, and dinner at the buffet was fine - I certainly wouldn't recommend the food. The drinks were weak, but yummy and there was lots of purified water available. A nice touch were the waiters who circulated around the pool and beach areas, serving drinks. Other resorts of this calibre don't have this. The staff was friendly, we avoided the time share people, and they weren't overly pushy. Overall, the resort was fine, it was probably worth the money. We would definitely return to the Mayan Riviera, but would probably try another resort.

We just got back on Feb. 2,...

by Tom_Scull

We just got back on Feb. 2, 2001 from staying at the Allegro Resort in Nuevo Vallarta. This is a picture of it below. Nuevo Vallarta is about 15 to 20 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta and has many great hotels.

Great beach, beautiful grounds, good food!

by TripAdvisor Member Can_we_go

Just got back from the Occidental Allegro today. Everything there was wonderful. We arrived at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday fully expecting not to be in a room until after 3:00. NOT SO! Our room was ready, no waiting. The rooms....small....but has a nice hammock on the front porch of each, good strong water pressure with HOT water and the maid made cute little animals out of our towels daily. Besides the smallness of the room, it was nice. The buffet food was very good. I've been to all-inclusives before and quickly became tired of the food, but not so this time. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit, a grill, pasta bar, good wine, smoothies for breakfast, an omelette grill, fresh squeezed orange juice. No complaints at all on the food. A couple of the shows at night were corny, a couple were very good. Good location, we rode bikes to town one afternoon (bikes included) and it took about 10-15 minutes on a very scenic route. The grounds of the hotel are extremely nice. Lots of foilage and birds chirping everywhere. We would definitely return here. Loved the beach too.

Had a Great Time

My family and I just returned from a a week-long vacation at the Allegro Resort. After traveling 6 hours (flight and airport time), we were greeted at the front desk by Ricardo who promptly gave us all a cool refreshing fruit drink as we checked in. Our first room, overlooking the relaxation pool, had a plugged bathroom drain which flooded the room whenever we showered. We asked to be moved to another room which was accomplished the next day. The rooms were small but the air-conditioner worked great! The hammock outside the room was a nice touch. My two sons, ages 18 and 15, loved the Pizzaria and ice cream stand. Casual dining and the bar near the pool offered hamburgers, fries, salads, fruit, nachos, guacamole and salsa, as well as, unlimited alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. The main buffet was good but not great. The pools and beach were superb! In general, the staff were energetic, friendly, and helpful. As previous reviewers indicated--AVOID the Time Share people. We plan to return--had a great time.

Suprisingly good time

Three girlfriends and I visited the Allegro resort at the end of March and had a great time. Worried that it might be overrun by Spring breakers we were delighted to see it was a plcae that has fun for all ages. A good mix of people and nationalities. We couldn't get over how friendly the staff and service were. We would go into the ocean to return to our beach chairs with our favorite drinks (banana mamas) waiting for us without even asking! You are always greeted with a smile and the activities were great and inclusive. Fun for all ages. The activities staff were helpful, fun and entertaining ...they were never pushy as I have experienced at other resorts. The grounds were immaculate but the rooms were average at best...but who cares you are never really in the room. The nightlife at the resort left much to be said but the town was happening. Great bars like the blue Parrot and Tuttix were a blast and the town was clean and inviting. I have been all over the carribbean and the beaches and water match those of even the virgin islands. Great destination. I would recommend this resort in a heartbeat...for the price...you just can't beat it. Itwasn't the lap of luxury but what do you expect for a cheap all inclusive vacation.

Great Resort...So So Rooms

My friends and I recently visited this resort the first week of November 2002. The weather couldn't have been any nicer. We arrived at the resort at around 11am but check in wasn't unitl 3pm! So we had to put out bags in a locked closet. In the meantime we switched out of our street clothes and into our swimwear. Yeah it was aan inconvenience but oh well what are you to do? The resort grounds were nice. At the time of our visit they were undergoing a renovation project, which closed off some areas of teh grounds but nothing improtant. Finally, we were able to get our rooms around 2pm. The rooms were ordinary. A flat mattress on a wood platform. A minor ant problem (but if you have been to Mexico before..the whole country has an ant problem). The upper level rooms have thatched ceilings which is cool. The a/c was old and need to be replaced (and the maid would constantly turn the a/c off when she cleaned the room..this made is kinda hot when we returned to our room). Overall the service was wonderful...the people were very generous as opposed to some of the other resorts in Playa.STAY AWAY FROM THE TIMESHARE PEOPLE. While you are walking around toward the lobby people affiliated with Allegro will offer you a free t-shirt and tequila if you visit with one of their resort staff. We agreed to a 30 minute run around for the free stuff. We showed up to be given a tour of the resort by a nice saleslady and then returned to an adjacent office building on the grounds. She gave us a timeshare sales pitch. After about 45 minutes she couldn't get the sale so she sent for the manager to try to close the deal. He would not let us take materials home to look at or think about it. He wanted us to sign up right then and hand over a credit card to charge up $6000 to $12000!! This was uncomfortable and he became rude and hastly gave us our free items and we left after about an hour. This was the worst part of hte visit. So if you don't mind wasting time and being insulted get the free stuff if not make a uturn from the Allegro timeshare staff.Overall feel good about staying here good resort, good wait staff, average rooms, great beach!

Our Base: the Occidental Allegro Playacar

by LizTungsten

"Checking In"

A tropical storm delayed our landing in Cancun, and when we got to the resort we found it had swept away all the sand from the beach.

Comments