Petit Lafitte

Carretera Cancun - Chetumal km 296 + 2.1, Xcalacoco, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, 77710, Mexico
Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 73% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Petit Lafitte

loved petit lafitte

by TripAdvisor Member Diane019

We had a fantastic, relaxing stay at one of the few resorts around that isn't packed with hundreds of guests. The hotel only has 30 rooms. The food and beach side bar are wonderful and the people who work there are as friendly as can be. There are also Mayan ruins and great snorkling near-by .

Petit Lafitte is treat!

by TripAdvisor Member Punkypaw

We spent the first half of our Honeymoon at Petit Lafitte and it was wonderful. It started off on a bad foot though because we took a cab from the Cancun airport, and our cab driver had not heard of Petit Lafitte, but he did know of Capitan Lafitte, the old hotel. It is not easy to find this hotel! There is a small road sign on the highway heading south, but it doesn't clearly mark the entrance to Petit Lafitte. You need to go down Azul Fives (through a good bit of construction) to get to PL. Long story short...our cab driver could not find PL, and we went to the entrance of Capitan Lafitte to try to get to the hotel through that entrance and a security guard there had not heard of PL, so we came to the conclusion that it wasn't open and we had been scammed somehow. Our driver ended up taking us to the hotel we were booked at for the second half of our honeymoon since we couldn't find PL. After 45 minutes on the phone with Travelocity, we were connected with the hotel, and Enrique, who works at PL, ended up coming to pick us up at the other hotel. He is very friendly, and we were very happy to have him taking us back to the hotel rather than getting another cab driver lost.

Once we arrived, we realized it was a hidden paradise! It is nestled on a very private area of the beach and the water is absolutely gorgeous! We stayed in a cabana right on the beach and had two hammocks strung between plam trees right outside our front door. This place is great! It is truly a beach hideaway. The rooms are not luxurious - they are very simple, clean, comfortable and take you miles away from reality. Bring your favorite book, because it's the perfect place to get lost in a good story and take some time away from constant news and information coming your way on internet or TV/radio.

We had one lunch there (went to PDC for lunch every other day) and ate every breakfast and dinner there. The fresh fruit in the morning for breakfast was so delicious and pretty to look at. Breakfast was always good - we loved motulenos! Dinner was always 4 courses - appetizer, soup, main course and dessert. We were always pleased with dinner (the soups were always amazing!) and we were able to make a change to the menu one night because we didn't eat either of the two main course options so we talked to our servers and for dinner the chef made us a special meal.

This place truly is a hidden gem, and the staff are friendly and welcoming, and will learn your names and greet you each day. Even though it doesn't tout the large tours that other big resorts do, you can go anywhere. PL arranged for cabs for us each day, and we ended up with the same driver for nearly every outing, which was nice and comfortable for us. We went to Tulum and took several trips to PDC, all arranged by the hotel.

You will enjoy this place. Don't go if you want to play drinking games at the pool, do water aerobics with a big group, and want 24 hour room service - do that at the all-inclusives. Stay at Petit Lafitte for privacy, serenity and a feeling of being at home in paradise.

Beach Bum Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member Thegypsies

Petit Lafitte is a small, beautiful, quiet resort. As soon as you arrive, staff begin welcoming you, and make you feel like family. If you prefer a large, glitzy resort with a lot of activities, nightlife, choice of pools, fitness room and spa, and variety of restaurants, Petit Lafitte will NOT appeal to you. However, this resort is perfect if you truely want to escape the hecticness of the real world, relax on the quiet beach by day and enjoy great drinks and food by night.

Rooms are either hotel style (3 floors) or individual bungalows. Hotel rooms are basic, but suitable and clean. Honestly, a different color palatte for the walls and drapes, and I would be raving. The best part is that the rooms are steps from the beach. We stayed in a bungalow right on the beach. The bungalows are rustic in appearance, a bit dark inside, but very comfortable and air-conditioned. The best part is that when you walk down the steps of your bungalow, you step onto the sand of the beach.

The food was excellent. All of our meals were creative and delicious. And, unlike our previous experience, the food, especially lunch, is traditional mexican fare. Breakfast and dinner are included in the rate, but unlike other hotels with meals included, they are still "better reataurant " quality dishes. Breakfast and lunch are served in the main dining room and lunch is served on the beach patio.

Petit Lafitte has an attractive beachside bar. Bartenders, Jesus and Victor, are very personable and mix up excellent Margaritas and Mojitos. During our stay, guests from several countries, age groups, and walks of life tended to hang out by the bar before dinner and get to know each other.

Service overall was very attentive, but not overwhelming. We were greeted by every staff member on our first day. They quickly knew our names and our likes and preferences. Javier, the server at the beachside restaurant, knew which beer my husband liked to start with, that my oldest daugter was the chip eater, to put salt in a bowl for my youngest daughter's french fries, and to put the garlic dip in front of me because it was my favorite. We were impressed!

The beach is lovely. There are 8-10 palapas and some palm trees. Beach chairs are plentiful and people were very considerate about their use both at the beach and pool. The water directly in front of the hotel is rocky, but if you walk 50 yards east, there is an easy entry. We brought water shoes, which allowed us to explore more areas, but ended up not using them by the end of the week.

We will definatley visit Patit Lafitte again. It is a unique escape, especially amoung the choices in Cancun/Riviera Maya.

Great to see our old friends!

by TripAdvisor Member vermonttomexico

It was great to return to see our old friends from Capitan Lafitte after so many years. The crew were warm and sincere in welcoming us back. We were sad that the old location has changed as it has been part of our family vacation for many years and it was a unique place. The crew at Petit Lafitte has done a great job of bringing that feel to the new spot. The bungalows that were under construction look like they will be a cozy and intimate addition to the hotel. Food was excellent, Victor and Jesus's marguaritas are still as excellent as ever. The people were great. Rooms were clean and very comfortable. Pool and beach were great. It was a great reunion visit!

Un-plug here!

by TripAdvisor Member Shoresfine

As a long time traveler to the old Capt LaFitte, I was apprehensive of what I might find at Petit LaFitte. My worries were a waste of time, I just returned from a weeks stay, and can't say enough about the comfort, cleanliness, and friendliness of this resort. The food was superb, the chef is very creative and every meal was perfect. It was the slow season, and the resort was not fully booked, but I can tell you I had a great vacation. I stayed on the second floor in a corner room facing the ocean, each morning the sunrises from my balcony were spectacular. The beach is literally steps away from the resort. The bar is big, and they serve wonderful lunches right on the beach. Plenty of chairs, palapas, and if you are as lucky as I was, the wait staff makes sure you do not go without your cold beverages while on your lounge chair. The staff was friendly and accomodating, they will arrange any day trip you might want. This place is the place to unplug, unwind, relax, and forget the world. I do not suggest this resort for younger travelers who are looking for action.. the only action here is the sound of the waves, and the laughter of the guests and staff. Oh did I mention the pool? Wow. Go, see for yourself!

WoW!! Is This Place For Real?

by TripAdvisor Member bookmarksf

this resort is not for everyone. if you feel the need to be in the middle of multitudes and crowds this is not for you. if you salivate at the thought of bellying up to mass produced buffets this is not for you.

if, however, you are a discerning individual who appreciates the quality of a privately owned and operated resort where you are made to feel at home then this resort is definitely for you.

clean spacious rooms, tastey sensibly sized meals (with a meat and fish option every night), an open sandy beach with the jewel-toned water beckoning, and a caring professional staff all combine to make petit lafitte a huge advantage over the megas and all-inclusives that continue to crowd around the maya rivera.

ivan fuentes has assembled a staff from the (now closed) resorts of capitan lafitte and kailuum who are the kind of team most resorts can only dream of having. friendly, attentive, caring, and responsible are modifiers that come to mind. they even have fun while they're doing their job (check out "best bartenders in mexico" on youtube!}

for anyone who wants to relax and enjoy their mexican holiday this resort is for you. thanks, y'all, for being there.

A True Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Adventure1Arizona

Walking into Petit Lafitte, I felt right at home, as I saw the same friendly staff who had been at Capitan Lafitte. No worries here, with the staff so quietly anticipating the guests needs. I love the fact that I met people from Italy, the United States, Mexico and other European countries. To my enjoyment, the chef still continues to offer plenty of delicious food choices in the same Capitan Lafitte style. I wanted a relaxing vacation, and I found that I just didn't want to leave the white sand beach and well maintained grounds filled with flowers and palm trees. I came to recognize the other visitors (also basking in the sun and ocean) , as we relaxed on the beautiful white sand beach, lounged by the pool and outdoor bar, or enjoyed an outdoor massage! And yet, it is so close to Playa del Carmen, and so many outdoor activities - if only I could have gotten up the momentum to leave my hammock! Petit is the ultimate relaxing vacation - absolutely no worries, no stress. I'd recommend it to just about anyone who wants to relax and enjoy the beauty of the Mayan Riviera in a peaceful setting!

Welcome Regulars

by TripAdvisor Member ColoradoBeachtime

I have to admit that in a way I hate to write this review...When you find paradise there is a part of you that doesn't want to share it with anyone while the other part of you wants to scream it from the top of a building.

I have been going to LaFitte since the mid 80's and have seen many, many changes in Cancun, Playa and all along the highway so I was heartbroken and worried when I found out they were moving down the beach to Petit Lafitte- but change is ineveitable. So, we read the reviews and finally decided to book our trip and hope that what all the other "old-timers" were saying was true- "come it's the same."

It is the same. Not the same beach, not the same restaurant, not the same small cabanas right on the beach- but it is the same. All my favorite waiters, Jesus at the bar, wonderful breezes to cool off the afternoons and those ever peaceful evenings. Those of you who know Lafittes understand the feeling of happy hour at the bar before dinner, those long breakfasts goofing with the waiters and being part of the family.

A new added feature is massages on the beach and they are not to be missed! Bertha did such an awesome job that I fell asleep each time she worked on me. I never thought I would feel so comfortable as to have this done- but believe me you want to do it!

The rooms were nice and convenient and the new cabanas are almost done. We loved the pool and the deck out by the ocean. So although things change it seems they also stay the same.

So if you are an "old-timer" don't hesitate to book your trip and if you are new....well, I guess you found our paradise and we will have to welcome you too!

Intimate & Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member celtic0704

Family & Friends have been traveling to the Old Capitan Lafitte for many years. I needed a break & decided to try Petit Lafitte. Stayed in the Hotelito until a Bungalow became available (I booked last minute). I'm so glad I did.......(hello to new Denver & Texas friends--all old friends of Capitan Lafitte). The evening arrived, dinner was being served in the open, on the promentory overlooking the beach, full moon on the water, torches in the sand, mild breezes, ...--this is the correct way to start a vacation!

Hotel layout - beautiful landscaping and foliage. Road to Lafitte is rough - lots of construction - apts and condos - once at the entrance, you're in another world. Gift shop is on the end, then reception, huge dining palapa with game/rec room on 2nd level (TV, video games, book exchange, pool table, 2 computers).
Dining are overlooks lovely lawn & huge hibiscus plants, coco palms, & small play area for younger children. After that, a screen covered with plants leads to the gorgeous pool, lots of sun chairs. Hotel on right, bungalows on left. Ahead is the bar on a raised & sandy promontory overlooking the beach, then a wood-plank area with unbrella'd table for lunch/drinks, etc. This area has wood steps down to the beach - several palapas & lots of beach chairs. Beach directly in front is rocky, but a few steps north is a large sandy area to enter the water easily.

Hotel rooms---only 3 stories, comfortable rooms with good showers, mini-fridge, coffee maker, hair dryer, chilly AC, lofty, luxurious comforters, nice linens, iron & board in closet, safe, TV, telephones, balconies with chairs & table (most with some ocean-view-others with 'garden-view' -i.e. foliage & beautiful swimming pool). I had ocean-view King - both balcony & window had direct ocean view & breezes if opened. Lined curtains on balcony door & windows. Outside of building has lots of added wood rails & thatch -- little gardens in front of 1st floor rooms--pretty.

Bungalows--- (mine was ocean-view)--rustic feel, all wood bungalows, sliding wood paned doors allow great views, lined curtains on door & 2 windows for privacy. All bungalows have large porches, right on the sand, units are angled to overlook the coconut grove & the beach. Covered Porch has table & chairs plus plenty of room for a beach lounger (I moved one from the beach to my porch). Inside, comfortable & reclusive feeling. All rooms have cold AC although on 2 windy nights I left my screened windows open & had wonderful ocean breeze & surf sound all night. Feels very private. Inside, AC, table & chairs, stool, bed tables, small built-in dresser, mini-fridge, safe, and LOFT with a double bed - stairs to the loft are attached to the wall, secure but not for me - my opinion: Loft is OK for children over 5 or agile young adults. Great for families--both bungalows on either side of me housed families with 2 children each. Bathroom is smaller than hotel unit & rustic, more like the old Lafitte bathrooms. Loved the privacy of the bungalow area. Hammocks in the coconut grove & several under palapa on beach. **My only constructive criticism: need to add hooks to back of bathroom door & near dressing area to hang swimwear, nightgowns, robes, etc--***

Dining Room: Open, huge thatch roof (similar to Kai-Lum's dining palapa)-very breezy & cooler than Capitan's dining room. Has canvas curtains that can be closed for rain and/or excess wind.

Breakfast bar: fresh range juice, beautiful fruit selection, pan dulce (sweetbreads), cereals, granolas & yogurts. Coffe or tea or hot chocolate delivered to table, & can order off menu - eggs any style, bacon, pancakes, french toast, etc--TO CLARIFY - BREAKFAST (& dinner) IS INCLUDED IN THE RATE - THEY DO NOT CHARGE FOR BREAKFAST AS ONE REVIEWER MENTIONED. THIS IS REITERATED ON THEIR RATE BOARD AT RECEPTION. They never charged for breakfast. (Try the Mayan Omelet.....)

Dinner--usually buffet for soup & salad only - these were different & wonderful every night. Soups were absolutely delicious. Main course ordered at table, good wine selection. New chef serves more sophisticated entrees - some international, some Mayan/Mexican cuisine. Sometimes full meal served at table--sometimes musicians. Pleasant & comfortable dining. Excellent & fun wait staff, as usual.

Overall: Beautiful grounds - Same wonderful & endearing Lafitte staff - they made my trip...as usual, they will go out of their way to accomodate the guests needs. Can't say enough about them--especially Humberto at reception, waiters Manuel, Martin & ??, excellent & fun bartenders Jesus & Victor. I hated to pack-up & leave. Go before this area is overrun with All Inclusives. It still maintains an easy atmosphere of privacy & intimacy that is so relaxing -- thanks Lafitte, for a relaxing vacation.

Great food, right on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member gcherbst

This is a smaller hotel on a slightly more secluded beach. because of the size you will be able to get to know the staff on a more personal basis and the food here in the all inclusive stay is truly phenomenal- it was among the best I have had. The rooms themselves were fair- nothing above average- but they are all within 100 steps of the beach. I would prefer to stay here any day over one of the large impersonal and overcrowded resorts in the area.

Comments