Playa Palms Beach Hotel

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Great hotel in Playa del Carmen

We were in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, and found walking by a beautiful a hotel at the beach, Playa Palms Beachfront Hotel. And we absolutely loved it! The location was great –just at the beach and close to 5th Avenue with all bars and restaurants. The hotel had a cool design and the room was really nice decorated. It was always fresh and clean everywhere. It felt like we where in paradise! We had the ocean as a beautiful view lying in our hammocks to see the sun go up and to see the sun go down… The hotel didn´t have a restaurant, which we could miss sometimes, but the room had a kitchen where we could do our own breakfast and other food if we want to and all the best restaurants were like our neighbors in distance. We loved the nice and professional staff. They always helped us when we needed anything. So, we really recommended this place if you looking for a good place to stay at when you visit Playa!

Unique Quality: Two unique qualities was the location and the really nice and proffessional staff.

• Great hotel in Playa del Carmen

Unique Quality: A unique quality with this place is the location of the hotel and the staff.

More about Playa Palms Beach Hotel

Lovely Hotel by the sea

by TripAdvisor Member Sunny080531

A week ago we came home from our honeymoon at the Playa Palms Beach Hotel. What a lovely hotel. Everything was perfect. The staff with their great service and friendly smile and the room next to the sea was beautiful. The only thing we could say, when we entered our room on our arrival day, was WOW!!! The floor and the bed was covered with rose-leafs and the champange was waiting in the wine cooler.
Thanks to all of you!
Love Marika and Roland Edberg, Sweden

LOCATIOIN! LACOATION! LOCATION!

by TripAdvisor Member jperez135

My fiance and I just returned from our stay at Playa Palms. We were there from 9-11 through 9-16 and we had a great time. We fell in love with the property as soon as we laid eyes on it. The staff was great from Victor at the front desk to the maids who cleaned our room to perfection. We loved the towel art that was provided for us each and every day, it was truly unique.

Breathtaking Views of the Ocean!

by TripAdvisor Member ChgotoCancun

Our stay at the Playa Palms was excellent. It is certainly not a perfect condo/hotel because of a few upgrades that they could do to improve the rooms and because it is right next door to loud construction. However, it was an excellent stay!

Best Day Travel dropped us off in front of the Playa Palms (we shared a ride, but was first to be dropped off) on a narrow street, every car behind him had to wait (very patiently) until the driver unloaded (quickly) our luggage, we tipped him and someone immediately grabbed the luggage from us. The room to check in was rather small but air conditioned. In a matter of minutes we were in our nicely cooled room on the third (top) floor. Our luggage arrived within minutes.

The room is dated. The kitchen (stove, microwave, oven, fridge, counters) all need major updating. The couch seemed new and fairly comfortable while watching tv, with several American tv stations. Plenty of room to move around and plenty of storage. Nice size closet. The bed was not too comfortable because it was hard, but the bedding was brand new and the pillows so comfy! The king sized bed seemed a little short. The bathroom seemed a little old with very little counter space, but nicer than the kitchen section. The unit was super clean.

Then you walk on the balcony. WOW! What a view. I posted some pictures of our view. Unbelievable!! Every night, my husband and I enjoyed the balcony sipping a nitecap. I would use the hammock and he would sit and swing the hammock with his foot. Beautiful view (even at night!), gentle breezes and that sound of the ocean, can't be beat!

The beach in front had plenty of loungers, mostly unused. It felt like we had the entire beachfront to ourselves. There are some fishing and diving boats that come and go, but they never seemed to bother us. There is a restaurant next door that took food and drink orders from the few people that were around us, we didn't order anything. We walked the beach and grabbed a burger at Fushion one day and the other we took the ferry to Cozumel. It cost us $22 US for two one way to get there, but well worth it. We loved the ferry ride and we love Cozumel.

I know I will get some negative feedback from this, but I didn't care for the prices in the restaurants in Playa (not compared to Cozumel). We stayed mainly on 5th and we saw plenty of menus and all the menu prices were pretty consistent. We did wander off 5th a little, but no menus to be found, so I couldn't tell you if the prices dropped or if the food was good. We had a great breakfast at Fiesta Siesta and another great breakfast at The Hot Baking Company and were fairly reasonable, however, for dinner, we weren't as lucky. The food was good, the prices a little high (I felt) and the drinks (unless you were lucky and got two for one) were a little high too. The stores seemed expensive too compared to Cozumel. I figured that Cozumel would be higher because they are an island and everything needed to be shipped, but that wasn't the case.

We stayed three nights then went on to the Riu Playacar for 6 nights. I wanted to compare both the condo/choice aspect of travelling and the A/I choice. I guess my husband and I are A/I people. Though, we couldn't have made a better choice for choosing the Playa Palms. It is a pretty condo unit, with beautiful views.

If for some reason, we wanted to try the condo choice once again, I would stay once again at the Playa Palms. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member TexasTravelerIV

My friends and I needed a hotel for the final night of our trip. We saw Playa Palms as we were heading north after leaving El Pirate Bar (great shrimp ceviche) and decided to check it out. The front desk gal was very helpful, showed us multiple rooms and we made a reservation. The room we stayed in was on the third floor - I think it was 303 - and was an outstanding suite. It had a small kitchen, table with 4 chairs, sofa and seperate bedroom and bathroom. Three girls shared this room comfortably. The balconies are great - they all look out on the ocean. My pictures are taken from the 303 balcony.

The only thing I did not like was that we could hear music from the nearby clubs, but it wasn't bad enough to keep me awake.

It is a great location and you can walk one street over for beer and ice to put in your cooler and take to the beach. The fridge is big enough for leftovers or a few days groceries.

Of course the big bonus was being right on the beach. There are actually palm trees and comfy lounge chairs - pure relaxation! You don't need an umbrella since the trees are more than adequate. You can move forward towards the water if you want full sun. There is an outdoor shower where you can rinse off on the way to your room and also a pool that runs between the two buildings.

The staff was great - the guys carried our bags up to the 3rd floor and down again when we left.

I cannot wait to go back to Playa Palms. I usually stay further north around 26th but this place may quickly become my favorite in PDC.

Stay for the VIEW !

by TripAdvisor Member Texassun

This was our 6th stay in Playa del Carmen but our first here. Playa palms is just what we wanted. We wanted a small resort on the beach - close to 5th street and wanted a refrig and micro for small meals and snacks. The people here are great - the rooms are VERY clean - no issues at all, all the resort personel are very nice. The room size is average, the bathroom seemed a little more modern ( shower only - no tub ). Each patio has a table and two chairs and we really enjoyed sitting out there. They supply very comfy loungers on the beach and plenty of shade. You can supply your own drinks on the beach or have service from the resort next door. The ONLY down sides to the resort was the loud base music from the club two doors down - we talked to several people and no one said it kept them awake -- if you woke up around 2a you would here it -- but was not an issue unless you are a very light sleeper. There are boats that anchor in front - but really we felt like it was our private beach most of the time. We were able to meet people from all over the world here and all the guest were very nice too.

Nice little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jaydfwtx

We enjoyed our trip to PDC and Playa Palms. The hotel staff was very nice and accommodating, no problems at all with service. The balcony views of the beach are nice, although you do tend to get cozy with your neighbors since the hotel is small.

There were several things that could have made our trip better, although it is hard to fault the hotel for them. There was apparently a bachelor party group that stayed there a few days - these guys were basically spring breaker types. Hooting and yelling at all hours, the security seemed to finally crack down on them when they started using inappropriate language. I don't know if would have made a difference if the hotel had phones, these guys were basically talking across the courtyard.

Also, you should be prepared to hear the thumping music of Coco Maya beach club past midnight. It wasn't that big of a deal for us, but it could be for some who are looking for quiet.

This was our first trip to PDC and a small hotel like this. The one thing we missed from the big resorts was the purified water and ice machine. It makes it a bit harder to take a cooler down to the beach, but we made do.

The beach was very nice in this area, although there are fishing/sport boats directly in front of the hotel. There was a small area, maybe 50 foot opening where there were no boats that people used to go out into the water. The good thing is that it is swimmable here, the waves are fairly small compared to Cancun, and there are no huge rocks your way. There are some rocks hidden out in the water though, that you'll no doubt find with your toes.

There is construction going on adjoining the north end of the property, so if I were you I would try to stay on the south wing. The construction noise was minimal when we were there, and we just made sure to sit on the south side of the beach away from the construction and it was hardly noticeable.

I think the biggest selling point of this hotel is the location. You are within walking distance of just about everything. We walked to the MEGA grocery store and were able to stock up on snacks & drinks a couple times. The room has an under-cabinet refrigerator mini-bar that has room for your own stuff. The front desk said they would remove the mini bar items if we needed the space, but it didn't come to that. And actually, the mini bar prices did not seem that outrageous if you want to use them.

Be aware that there are no phones in the room. Not an issue for us. They have two free wifi routers if you have an iphone or laptop, just get the passcode from the front desk. I wasn't able to get a signal inside the room, probably because the walls are concrete. And one of the routers seemed to be down for some time, which I imagine is what is causing their webcam to go down.

In all, we had a nice experience. I am not entirely sure if we would immediately come back to this hotel, or try another one.

Can't beat the location

by TripAdvisor Member travelnowLosAngeles

I stayed in two different rooms: oceanview (304) and oceanfront (301). The oceanfront was not available for some of my trip. While not perfect, this is the best hotel you can get in Playa (for almost any amount of $) if you don't want to stay at an all-inclusive resort. The view from the balcony for the oceanview room is excellent. The hotel is right on the water (very few in playa are). The hammock is nice and spacious. The mini-fridge and toaster came in useful in the morning. The oceanfront room is a LOT more expensive but is very luxurious. The waves break right under your balcony, which is large enough for a hammock, a couple of lounge chairs, and a table with armchairs. Well worth the price. Our room on the 3rd floor has a 10ft+ high palapa, which is very atmospheric. The only real complaint is the noise from a nearby night club. You could sometimes hear the bass late at night. The hotel guests were all polite and quiet. The staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to help you with any minor issues. Highly recommended.

Small and Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member haydee951

My husband and I stayed here 5/9/08-5/17/08 in a studio on the bottom floor.The staff was very friendly and always cleaning!The room was the perfect size with AC, and with a kitchenette which included a sink, mini fridge,microwave,toaster and coffee maker.The room had a small patio area with 3 chairs, a table and a hammock.The hotel is right on the beach and also has a pool in the middle that you can see the beach from while swimming.The beach in front of the hotel is a lot less crowded then the rest of the hotels on the beach which we loved. The hotel is also next door to the most popular clubs and bars in the area and a street away from 5th Ave where there are many restaurants stores and bars.However I do not recommend you eat on 5th Ave because the prices are very high and the food is not that great. If you go up a few streets past 5th you will find delicious and affordable places to eat. We really enjoyed our stay and will stay there again everytime we return.We also did the Edventure Tour which took us to the Dos Ojos Cenote, Akumal beach to snorkel and see the sea turtles as well as Yakul Lagoon to snorkel some more. This was an awesome tour everyone would enjoy!You can get more infomation on their website [--]
One thing I do need to mention about the hotel is the very loud construction that is going on next door to the hotel. It was minimal and only during the day but can get very very loud! Other than that I would recommend this hotel to eveyone.

Comments