Riu Playacar All Inclusive

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Avenida Xamen-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 6, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

Orbitz.com Despegar.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• No refunds for Scuba diving if you can't go!

My friends and I stayed at the Riu Playacar in July 2012. The hotel is actually 3 star not 5 star. But, the pool, beach and food are great. The staff and guests are very nice also. I especially liked that there were palm trees on the beach instead of beach umbrellas. The hotel's alcaholic drinks are not watered-down like the disco's in town. The air conditioning in the room is not so great. The chamber maids are cheap with the soap. They want you to use your old soap from previous days. Its not fun to go out and beg them for more soap. The thing to look out for is that the scuba diving company wants to be fully pre-paid in advance, before they train you for it. They will not give a refund if you can not actually go on the scuba diving trip for medical reasons, or if you don't like the starter class. They do their best to avoid a refund. They are not like American companies that give refunds to maintain customer satisfaction. Before the scuba diving is paid for, they are so nice and friendly. But, if you want a legitimite refund, suddenly, they become all about the money and not so friendly. So, as far as the scuba diving is concerned in this hotel, its "Buyer beware!"

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Another Riu all inclusive

2nd visit December 2012

We stayed at the Riu Playacar in 2011, it was cheaper and on the beach so it seemed like a no brainer to book it. We returned to the Riu Playacar in 2012, the price for it and the Tequila were about the same. We still had access to the Riu Tequila as well as the Riu Lupita and Riu Yucatan for breakfast, lunch, activities, pools and bars. You weren't supposed to eat dinners at the other resorts but the wristbands were the same so I guess we could have. We did not have access to the two higher class Riu Palace resorts although they said we could get a day pass.

The Riu Playacar was closer to Playa del Carmen than the Tequila, it took us about 25-30 minutes to walk to the edge of town at a moderate pace. The clientele was mostly European, lots of German, French and British guests but also a wide variety of other nationalities. Many of the European women sunbathed and walked the beach topless. The resort appears to be family friendly, we saw plenty of kids but not so many that they were annoying. Of course over the Christmas holidays there are probably more.

The Riu Playacar seems to be the smallest of the Rius, there are six buildings, most of which do not have ocean views. Our room had a view of the walkway but being the 1st building near the lobby, no view of the ocean. The room itself was fine, two queen size beds that were on the hard side pushed together. There's an in room safe, ironing board, a small refrigerator, mini bar with water and soda and 4 bottles of alcohol set up tap style, TV with several cable channels. There's air conditioning and an overhead fan.

The shower had great water pressure and always had hot water. Toiletries were minimal, shampoo (I think) in a dispenser on the wall and bar soap. The towels were big.

Unique Quality: There are three reservation restaurants, a steakhouse, Asian and Mexican, last time we only ate at the steakhouse which had two set times for dinner, the food was pretty good. This time we stuck with the buffet. The buffet restaurant was great for breakfast and dinner and OK for lunch, at breakfast there were freshly made churros and donuts with a variety of sauces and Mexican food if you can handle quesadillas and empanadas for breakfast. There was also French toast, pancakes, breakfast meat, fruit, cereal, pastries, juice, coffee. Dinner was also very good, especially on Mexican night. The non Mexican offerings weren't as good as I remembered from the Tequila but still plenty of variety. And I couldn't resist the yummy coconut ice cream for dessert or the guacamole at lunch.

We didn't use the pool but there was one with a swim up bar. The beach had plenty of chairs and palm trees, the beach is currently is very good condition with plenty of room for walking, volleyball and lounging.

Non motorized water sports are included, we used the catamaran a couple of times with no problem or waiting.

There was free wifi in the lobby but it was limited to 90 consecutive minutes. It was important for us to check work emails so I was a little disappointed at the time limit.

• Nice place for the price

I have stayed at the Riu Playacar many times (my wife likes to go there). I have read many reviews from others and I half to shake my head. Here is the deal with this resort.

Great Service, good food, nice location and beach. If you want 5 star treatment and luxury room then shell out another grand somewhere else. If you get sick of the food after a few days then go into town and have a meal, that breaks up the monotony a little. The staff is very friendly and the grounds are kept very clean. Nice beach seen with volley ball court and great swim up bar. The entertainment is not great but the people entertaining try hard and give you their best. People who go to this resort and whine about everything are the same people you go on vacation to get away from. Enjoy the resort and have fun!

Unique Quality: Swim up bar

• vGeesink's Profile Photo

Very nice hotel for a vacation without worries.

I went twice to this accomodation. The first time that my wife and I went there we went there for diving and get a tast of the culture.
    We found an excelent diving school (Tank Ha) were we did all our dives with.
    From Playa it is very easy to travel to Xcaret - Tulum - ChitzenItza and other interesting places. If anybody has a question, please let me know. I will try to complete this site when I have more time.

Unique Quality: Central position, easy to get anywhere.

• moondeaux's Profile Photo

Relax and be pampered

My wife's niece was getting married in Play Del Carmen. Thus the stay at the Riu Playacar all inclusive. And since we have taken a tropical vacations during our anniversary (February 7th) for the last several years, this was the obvious choice.
    This is the only time I have ever been to an all inclusive. So that certainly doesn't make me the best advisor on such a place. I will say that my feelings of an all inclusive haven't really changed much, after I went to this one. I always felt that it was over-rated and more for people who are a bit nervous of adventuring on their own in a foreign land. It was not much of a cultural experience, even with the side trips that were tainted by rip off artist's trying to scavenge our dinero's for illicit gain.
    At the Riu, the resort staff were friendly and polite.
    The food was wonderful, but by the end of the week, kind of predictable. It was harder to find something that I hadn't already tasted.
    The drinks were okay, but I prefer beer, and it was mainly tap Corona's. I did manage to get extra bottled Corona's most days, but it took a lot of my time, and should have been available all day at every bar.
    The entertainment at night really felt like what I always imagined a cruise ship would be like. My wife confirmed that as true, since she had been on a cruise once.
    Now I know more than ever that I will never take a cruise.
    None of the rooms had a view of the ocean.

Unique Quality: Food was great, but boring by the end of the week.
    Staff was helpful and courteous.
    Beach was washed out and difficult to get to.

• Nice resort on the beach near town

We had a wonderful time here at this all inclusive resort. It was our first time in Playa del Carmen. It is a small resort. The food was fine and the staff were nice. It was clean and quiet here. You can visit the other Riu resorts.

Unique Quality: A short walk to the beach. You are able to visit the other Riu resorts.

Directions: South of Playa del Carmen

More about Riu Playacar All Inclusive

riu group

by rachel1105 about riu playacar

3 hotels in one absaloutely fab, staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful.
Food fantastic
Clean and the rooms amazing Pool is great fun cocktails by Maria from Manchester are the best

Ask for a ocean blue and sea what they say!!!

Our feedback of the Riu Playacar!!!!

We had a wonderful time at Riu Playacar. People could not be nicer, weather was great.. Place was clean and scenic to a beautifulbeach. Our complaints were there should be more variety of food choices in restaurantsbuffet dinner should allow men not to wear pants where women can wear anything and rooms were a little musty. In spite of the negativem we would stay again.....

Caribbean village Playacar...

by fumauro

Caribbean village Playacar (Allegro Resorts) It's located in a gorgeous 'eden' with a golf club, kid's club, 2 swimming pools, 3 different restaurants and a private beach.

Continental Plaza Playacar - Playa del Carmen

by graz-ie about Continental Plaza Playacar

In comparison with other 4 star hotels I was not very pleased with that hotel - but maybe I just don´t like huge hotels.

And we had a bad experience there too. Kind of our own fault but still. We just got there and we went swimming - during that time the cleaning lady came and we didn´t put our stuff in the safty box and so our money way gone. It wasn´t that much and I don´t even know where we had it - but surely not laying around. We went to the boss and he was an a.... and pretended nothing happened... that was very unsatisfactorily.

I´ve seen a lot of hotels during my trips through México but that wouldn´t be one I would go to again...

WARNING ABOUT RIVIERA REALTORS

by oleLu about Riviera Realtors

I just want to warn everybody about a realtor in Playa del Carmen in case someone wants to rent a villa or apartment from them.

Riviera Realtors in Plaza Antigua are the greatest scamp!!.

We booked and payed in advance for a 3 bedroom house in Playacar and when we arrived they told us that we couldnt use the house due to an electrical problem. This was a lie and the only problem was that they had rented the house to 2 families at the same time and we got there 2nd. We were a 4 people family with a 2 years old baby(2 people traveling from Spain).

We had to stay at a 2 bedroom apartment and then move to another one December the 30th. Both apartments were dirty when we moved and we spend a lot of money calling the guy because he never returned our phonecalls. A nightmare!!

They ruined our Christmas holidays!!.

Their website is: www.rivierarealtors.com

the Best vacation.....

We stayed from August 20-27 th. the weather was wonderful, beach was beautiful. the Riu Playacar was immaculate and the people could not be more accomedating. it was our 29 th Anniversary. Met alot of great people... Best vacation ever!

Drinking @ PlayacarDrinking @ Playacar

Playacar beachPlayacar beach

Lobby at PlayaCarLobby at PlayaCar

Choppy entrance, PlayacarChoppy entrance, Playacar

Wedding at Riu Playacar or Iberostar

by tmelton

Considering having wedding ceremony at the Riu Playacar or one of the Iberostars. I have been to the Iberostar Paraisio Beach and I know that resort is great. Just wanted someone's input that has done this before at one of the locations. Any help is greatly appreciated? Thanks!

Comments