Royal Haciendas Resort

The Royal Haciendas
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 112% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Royal Haciendas Resort

Royal Haciendas......great!!! With the best yet to come.......

by TripAdvisor Member jamaicajc

Husband and I rented week 48 on r------ for this hotel.....LOVED IT!!! You will not be disappointed. Staff was great, food excellent, rooms are to die for. Construction not noisy, but dusty, they try to clean very well, I did have some allergies to dust so bring benedryl especially if you are on side D. Maid were told by me first day about dust so they scrubbed all services really well and floors and we left $$ for them evreyday.

The resort is clean and beautiful, so peaceful. Cozumel lights you can
see at night from your balcony and HOT TUB :)

5th Ave. is about 15-18 minutes away by cab, $10.00 each way plus a small tip. The shuttles are not many yet.

The market is great for the first 2 days and milk etc, but Walmart had
it all--again a 15 minute ride, cabby will wait for additional $$ if you ask him too.

Buffets and main restaurant we loved plus we went to dinner in Playa a few times. Food, well contrary to other beliefs is wonderful in the ala carte, husband a chef, he was impressed and met sous chef for special recipes he wanted to take to US with him. Service in the dining room for dinner was awesome, we ate there THREE times which is huge for us, we never stay at resort for dinner that much.

Timeshares, yes they are there, people walking, talking and selling. Just say no thanks and they will leave you alone.

All the hotel staff is so friendly every day-- towel people, activities guys, waitstaff, front desk---only sales people not smiling
all the time---hmmmm guess it depends on revenue they made for the day :)

Beach, well sand and space and drink service is perfect, only on non rough ocean days can you see the bottom and make your way through the rocks. Go to the left towards new area and more swimmable water. We went to Kool Beach club for one day to get our perfect ocean fill--it was a blast.

Pool was excellent, warm but cooled you off, great pool bar--NO bracelets YEAH!! And huge--so much room for all. No kids rules for pool bar stools and jumping and hot tubs was pretty much ignored, which was not welcome by the many couples trying for relaxation....we did call a complaint one late night at the pool with many KIDS screaming in the hot tub while security just stood there on the beach---

All in all it was a great time and a stunning resort, with excellent staff, the bumps will work themselves out over time.

Let me know if you have any questions--we loved it so much going back again this year!!!

jc

Nov 24 - Dec 1 Royal Haciendas vacation with kids

by TripAdvisor Member wogdiml

We just returned from our long anticipated week in Playa Del Carmen (PDC) at the Royal Haciendas. Overall we were very happy with our week there, but there are a few issues I think most people would not even think of that I wanted to post once we got home. We took 2 families - 4 adults and 4 kids (2 of them were under 1 year old) so we learned a lot about international travel with small children. The shuttle to PDC is now provided free of charge, with limited times it runs (10am-1pm on the hour) and a couple of times in the afternoon. This was nice but fairly limiting for us. We took a taxi to/from town a couple of times and it is $10 each way for a 4 person taxi. This was a lot more convenient, but added up after you took it a few times. We initially made a Walmart run and stocked up the villa since there are only a couple of restaurants open at the resort (the one at pool side - The Aqua Grill - closes at 4:30 pm so it's basically a lunch only). The main restaurant - La Palapa Del Sol - is good, but gets pricey for dinner. It also has an express delivery that you can order for room service. The breakfast buffet was very good for $10 and they offer a continental breakfast (breads, cereals, fruit) for $4 which seemed very reasonable to us (also includes coffee, juices, milk).

A couple of our main complaints were the ongoing construction activities at the resort and the isolation we felt compared to Cancun. The construction starts at the crack of dawn and doesn't end until the sun goes down. There are hundreds of workers, a huge tower crane that it constantly honking and squeaking, chainsaws blaring, things crashing - all typical for a big construction project, but this was our vacation. Inside our villa the construction noise was very little and most of the time not even noticeable since the air system is always on, but outside we were always aware of the next door project. It isn't even closed off from the open side of the resort, so there are always construction workers staring you down and checking you out. I think it will be a really nice resort once all phases are completed and more restaurants are available. I also think we felt a lot of the isolation because of all of our young kids' schedules and getting to town was a pretty big effort. After construction shuts down for the evening it is very quiet at the resort.

The beach is nice right off the edge of the resorts, but there are still a lot of rocks, coral and debris in the water - which ultimately prevented us from letting the kids wade into the water. You definitely can't run down the beach and dive into the water here. The reef is probably at least 100 yards off of shore, so you basically have to swim out to snorkel in the good stuff. Once we got far enough out there there were thousands of fish, beautiful plant life, a sea turtle, etc. It is just a different experience from our previous 2 vacations at the Royal Caribbean and the Royal Sands in Cancun (both of which were before the kids).

The villas are definitely the latest and greatest that the Royal Resorts offers. They are laid out comfortably, and very elegant. Our unit was on the top floor so we had vaulted ceilings and an overlook of the pools and beach below. Very nice walk in showers, furniture, kitchen, etc.

If I had to choose again, with what I know now, I would go back to Cancun for our next trip - which may now be a few years down the road when the kids are older. It was, as always, a very memorable experience in Mexico.

WONDERFUL!

by TripAdvisor Member DuckSausage

Stayed a week at the Royal Haciendas through Interval Timeshare in late April. It was amazing! We could not have asked for more!

Great pools, great beach, great staff, great rooms. Everything was better than anticipated!

Our favorite things:

Beach waitstaff/service...awesome food and drinks while you soak up the sun.

In-house market...a small grocery store is inside the resort with an amazing selection of food and drinks.

Location...closest resort to downtown Playa makes for easy, quick access to the city!

We would definitely go again!

A Beautiful Resort

by TripAdvisor Member ScrappingMom

Last year we traded week51 to stay at The Royal Sands in Cancun. We went to the time share presentation and saw that the The Royal Hacienda Resort looked beautiful. This year we decided to go through an internet site and rent a week at the Haciendas.
We arrived on Friday and therefore had to move to our unit on Saturday. The unit we rented was beautiful. It was on the beach and had a very large patio with a jucizzi tub outside. The rooms were clean and appointed well for a timeshare resort. Unlike most timeshares, we also had maid service everyday which did a lot to promote the resort to tops on my list. Infact, everywhere we went in the resort we saw cleaning crews making the place shine.
We did not like the food at the LaPalapa Restaurant and felt the resort could do itself a lot of good to get another place for people to eat. I know there will be more when the next phase of construction is finished but it is needed now. The pool bar and restaurant were good but never opened at night.
The resort had a beautiful pool and beach and as snorklers, we really enjoyed being able to leave our patio and go out into the reef right infront of our resort.
My daughters, age 15, 13 and 11 did find some children to 'hang' with but I would say that there were not very many childern even though this was Christmas week. Depending on your family, this could be good or bad. I think this is the place to go if the hustle and bustle of the city is not your idea of relaxation. We enjoyed Cancun but we RELAXED at the Royal Haciendas.

Should Be Rated in the Top Ten!

by TripAdvisor Member ls1013

I will start off with wonderful and amazing. I've traveled many places and stayed in many different resorts, but this resort is by far the best yet You have everything you need. The service is great, the views are amazing and the rooms are top notch. Even though there is construction right next door you wouldn't know it, and once it's completed, the resort will only be bigger and better.

They give each person staying in your villa a key card to use to charge food and drinks to your room. You can pay the bill the night before you check out if you have an early flight. We were a little concerned about not paying cash, but we kept all the receipts and since you have to sign for everything they wasn't any problem. You can pay cash at the grocery on site and it was priced right.

The food at both the bar and restaurant was very good. They do offer a buffet at the restaurant, or you can order off the menu. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and the view is terrific, right on the beach.

I highly recommend using Thomas Moore for your transportation to and from the airport, we flew into Cancun. They are very organized and priced right. Once you arrive at the airport just walk on out to the guys in yellow, they have Thomas Moore on their shirts and will be waiting on you.

The only time share people we had approach us was at the airport, never had a problem with anyone from the resort. They do contact you by phone but once you tell them no thanks, it's not an issue. This place will sell all by itself, they don't have to be pushy.

All the photos they have been posted online at royalresorts.com and tripadvisor are just as they appear. It is that beautiful.

We rented a car for the day at the resort, Lily was so wonderful and helpful and she gave us tips on local beaches to stop at along they way that were free. We stopped at Akumal to snorkel and saw sea turtles, string rays and numerous fish, great place. You must go to Tulum it's worth the trip, make sure to have you swimsuit, you can walk down to the beach and cool off. The water is amazing, and the beach is perfect, we know why it is rated in the top 10 Mexican beaches.

We also did a day trip to Cozumel and rented scooters to drive around. It's a little hectic until you get out of the traffic, but there is a little side road for the scooters to get you off the main road. Go to Paradise Beach which is by San Franciso Beach, they have all kinds of ammenties. If you drink and eat from their bar you can use the chairs and umbrellas at no charge. The prices and very reasonable, food was great, all you need is a towel.

Royal Haciendas will give you a list of places to eat in downtown Playa, they were right. We ate at La Parrilla and the Blue Lobster it was great.

We would like to thank Jeremiah the Bell boy, Lily at the Hertz on sight and Luis and Alberto for the great service at the pool bar.
You guys made our trip very enjoyable.

This is one fantastic resort!

Peacefully Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member TexanCowgirl

Overview: We stayed at the Royal Haciendas from January 26-February 2, 2008 for a girl’s trip getaway. I am a seasoned Mexico traveler and have stayed in a variety of places (villas, hotels, resorts, private homes (both all-inclusive and European plans). There were just two of us and we rented a “lockoff” unit from an owner. Overall Rating: 4.5*

ROOMS:
-Pros: Clean and well-kept. Travertine and granite mixed with nice solid woods for the décor. Bathroom vanity area is separate from the shower/toilet area and the vanity is large with double sinks. The shower/bathtub combo is large/oversized (loved the bathtub) and there was always plenty of hot water. We loved having the little kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, sink, few dishes, coffee maker, and toaster) and made ourselves simple meals many times during the week. The TV channels are the best selection I have ever seen in Mexico (got to watch the Lost season premier!). Free wireless internet connection was a huge plus for us! There is a nice desk area to use for your laptop, etc. There is also a smaller table and chair on the other side of the room. The closet is large with good storage areas and the mini safe is large and free. The balcony (even in this lockoff unit) was plenty large and we enjoyed sitting out there almost every night.

-Cons: The a/c fan was a little noisy…not a huge deal as I had my earplugs.

FOOD/RESTAURANTS:
-Pros: STORE: We were really nicely surprised with the on-site store. We were thinking that we would definitely have to make a trip into Playa del Carmen to stock up for the week. We never went! The store was well-stocked with U.S.-type items (things I see in Costco!) and they were reasonably priced. For just two people, it wasn’t worth a trip to Wal Mart. RESTAURANT: Our owners told us to eat at the restaurant for lunch i/of dinner as it was cheaper and better (as per their opinion). We did the lunch (which is all-you-can-eat buffet) one day only. It is good/fine…very comparable to other 4-5* Riviera Maya resorts I have been to. GRILL: We walked into the restaurant one night to see if we could get something to go and it turns out they have a Grill/To-Go order area. We ordered the “Gourmet Pizza” which they then delivered to our room. It was really good!!!

-Cons: The desserts look fantastic, but really aren’t that good. (Note: I’m not sure I can justify this fully as a “Con” because most of it is a matter of being in a different country. However, I’ll make it anyway as my hope remains that someday a Riviera Maya resort will learn how to make simple chocolate-chip-cookies and brownies with milk chocolate (not bitter).)

BEACH:
-Pros: Palapas for shade; loungers were well-kept and comfortable; there is beach wait service (and they give you a red flag that you can stick up in the sand when you would like to order something); nice beach walking (we walked all the way to Playa del Carmen one day. It took us about an hour of straight walking at a comfortable pace. There is a public beach on the way called “Esmeralda” that is great for swimming as there are no rocks! There was also a nudist beach on the way! We spent the entire day walking in, having lunch in Playa, and walking back. It was a great day activity.) Bathrooms are fairly close and they are well-maintained.

-Cons: I am an experienced Riviera Maya snorkeler and I have to say that the snorkeling at RH was the worst. However, at least there is snorkeling off the beach - because some resorts in the Riviera Maya don't offer that or are not close enough to the reef to have it. The snorkeling was poor due to lack of visibility and also because you are constantly on alert for motors (jet-skis, boats) cutting through the snorkeling area (there is nothing buoyed off to keep it safe—which would be my suggestion as there are motorized water crafts in the vicinity). That being said, I did see a sea turtle for the first time ever.

Note: ALWAYS bring water shoes to Mexico (rocks, coral—the things that make for great snorkeling, etc. can also be a pain!) I wore hard-bottomed shoes when we kayaked, my sis-in-law did not. We tipped over and her feet were getting cut on the coral. (We were on the “tour” and they were telling us to come in diagonal to the waves. We knew better but were trying to be obedient.)! Just wear them.

POOLS:
-Pros: Main pool was large and heated. There were plenty of loungers and shade umbrellas surrounding the pool. There were also large Jacuzzis (one on either side of the main pool), a lap pool, and a children’s pool. Plenty of swimming for everyone. We did the dive introduction one day with Javier in the main pool. He was fantastic and even got me to stay under for 20+ minutes! One other pro that we loved was the little “foot bath” as you walked from the beach to the pool area. Great idea and it keeps sand in the pools to a minimum.

-Cons: IMO the jacuzzis could have been warmer.

SPA SERVICES:
The beach-front massages looked fun – but we did not use the service so I really can’t give an opinion on how it was.

SERVICE/STAFF:
Fantastic! Best ever! Everyone was friendly, warm, and genuine. Maid service was perfect; food service staff was happy, knowledgeable, and hardworking; front desk staff was friendly and efficient; towel & activity shop/window staff was happy and helpful; and the dive shop staff was our favorite.

Note: Only con with service for the entire week we were there was the bell-hop service when we were leaving. It took them ½ hour to get to our room and we were right next to the lobby. Just plan ahead and give yourself time would be my suggestion. Other than that, they were friendly and courteous – just took a little long to get to our room.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT:
There is a Sunday welcome party where they have music and games and drinks by the main pool/beach area. I know there were crafts, but I didn’t do them. There’s an activity room behind the main lobby bar. It was empty – but it has TV’s, a piano, books, and I think I saw some games. I also saw water aerobics in the main pool.

Kayaking, beach volleyball, and snorkeling were our main activities…all of which you can use/check out for free at the towel/activity window.

SECURITY:
I have never seen such detailed round-the-clock security in my life. And yet they didn’t intrude on space or privacy. They also have security cameras installed in various locations around the resort that are watched by live security people.

Shuttle to PDC: Great! Free! (We did give the driver a $1 tip from each of us). Plan ahead and sign up the day (or two) before as they were filling up and seats were not available the day of. Note: We took the free shuttle in to PDC and stayed for dinner so we took a taxi back to RH for $10 (last shuttle was at 6:00 pm).

Airport Transfers:
We used Thomas More going down (which was great!). Going back up to the airport there were just the two of us so we used a taxi which was the same price ($36 dollars). Knowing that, if there are only two of you in your group I would opt for a taxi as you won’t have to wait for anyone else to get loaded into a shared van.

Tips
1) Bring a Bubba Keg type drink container to fill in your home and take to the beach/pool with you. It will stay cold for hours!
2) We brought Crystal Light “On the Go” packets to add to our bottles of water. Also the individual Gatorade-type rehydration packets are my newest Mexico must to keep the salt, etc. balance in your body (I mix/drink one of these a day).

Comments:
We absolutely loved our week at the Royal Haciendas. It was a perfect fit for our needs/wants: 5* accommodations without the fluff (I don’t need turndown service but I do like granite countertops!). One of the best things about our week at RH was the people—both staff and other renters/owners. By the end of the week we had made some good friends that we enjoyed sharing a few memories (and pictures) with! It is a small enough resort (other half still being built) that you don’t feel crowded and yet it is large enough to offer a variety of services. We will definitely be back!

PS - If you’re interested in my “Mexico Packing List” I’d be happy to share. It includes things (like earplugs) that I have found extremely helpful to have on vacations in Mexico. Just send me a message and I'll send it to you.

Good but stil working at it.

by TripAdvisor Member TexasPoppa

We just returned from a week stay, Jan. 19th - 26th.

RH is a beautiful resort with tone of public space and greenery. They did a nice job of not overbuilding this place. When finished it will house 250 rooms on two mirrored u shape sides. The finished side has 125 rooms open, a swim up bar/grill, huge pool, lap pool, childrens pool/ playground, 2 huge hot tubs. Very nice and like I said tons of space. You won't feel scrunched in here. Never an issue finding a good seat either at the pool or on the beach.

Rooms: typical Timeshare rooms, nice, nothing over the top, very spacious. full kitchen, huge bath with double vanities,nice big patio with jacuzzi out there. Master has King bed. Living room has two murphy beds. Lock off side has 2 queens, a microwave and mini fridge. Bathroom again is huge with double vanities. The lock offs here are much bigger than most places for sure. You could do quite nicely with just this side. This side has a nice balcony as well.

Food/store: The grocery store on site is great. Tons of selection and prices aren't bad at all. Best I've seen yet at a resort/Timeshare. Food at the poolside grill is very good. They make a good burger, good shrimp tacos, ceviche, salds, etc. They have specials daily so ask if they don't tell you. I had awesome fish tacos and a grouper sandwich off the specials and they were great. Weakest thing we had here is the Chicken sandwich. Sliced breaded fried chicken, it is OK. Happy hour daily from 3:00 - 5:00. Great drinks! Restaurant is right on the beach. Incredible views and they have outside seating. It serves a breakfast buffet that is pretty good for around $10. Lunch and dinner are buffet as well as a full menu. You can order either. Dinner buffets rotate with a pasta night, asian, carribean, etc. Buffet is good but the menu food needs some work. They admit it is a work in progress. Not bad overall. I wish they would do one or the other. Doing both menu and buffet is hard I'm sure. A specialty a la carte restaurant will open late 2008 inside near the Rotundo Bar.

Service: good for the most part but again a work in progress. Pool bar guys/gals need some work. Dive shop very good, restaurant people good, Towel hut/sports desk need work as well. They speak pretty good English all over, really. Overall good but being new, some issues. Anything we requested from the front desk was seemless. I called for service on a smoke detector beeeping and maintainance was right there. We also had maintainance come again as the maid noticed a burnt out light and a fan that wasn't working. It shows the attention to detail Royals has. When checking out to pay the bill on Friday they asked what time I wanted the bell guys to come up. I told them 8:30 thinking "yeak OK, that won't happen." Well, sure enoguh 8:25 phone rang and they asked if we were ready. Great service there.

All in all a great stay. When complete the additional restaurant, the spa, the other pool/bar/grill, etc. will make this place top dog. Accross the road will be a golf course and a shoppiong mall. The same people who developed La Isla Mall in Cancun will do this. It well be the best in Playa for sure.

One MUST is to venture into Playa Del Carmen (5th Ave) at night. It is simply incredible down there and not enough people sing it's praises. Go you won't be dissapointed.

Mostly Sunny...

by TripAdvisor Member bjm3747

This was our first trip to Mexico - so we may have been a little awe-struck with the Carri bean beauty, but we thoroughly enjoyed our week - with a few exceptions. The property is meticulously clean, and the service is great! We had a deluxe villa that we shared with another couple - lots of room- and it was on the 1st floor on the oceanfront. The initial view caused me to tear up; it was so unbelievably beautiful. The beach and the ocean are fantastic there in front of the Haciendas. We went snorkeling on our own and found the beautiful fish and even an eel. The food at the restaurants was very good and the service impeccable! The only downside was the selling strategy - they were very pushy and needed a decision that same day. When it was obvious that we were not biting making an impromptu decision, the meeting was abruptly ended and we were out of more than 4 hours of our vacation - in the middle of a beautiful sunny day... Additionally, when my husband and I went out snorkeling, he had a ripped fin that the sports desk tried to charge us for. My husband had to find a manager to straighten this out - a word of caution - when you are signing the slips to check something out at the sports desk - you are also indicating that you have inspected it and found it to be in proper working order. We ended up not having to pay for the flipper, but it was an argument with the manager to get to that point. Overall, we enjoyed our week beyond our wildest imaginations - we would still stay at the Haciendas again.

Haciendas - Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member MontrealPierre

I travelled a bit since 10 years, but this resort is so confortable, so convenient for any families, difficult to ask more. Paradiseé On site, you have restos, pools, a small market, good beach, 15 mins from WalMart, a great service. Loved it so much, that I consider to buy a property there, see tug.com or redweek.com.

No doubts, you will enjoy.

Everything you could want!

by TripAdvisor Member jen007

Spent spring break there with my husband and 4 kids. Property was brand new and sparkling. Pools and swim up bar were fantastic. Structured activities to keep kids happy and busy was wonderful. Kayaks were available no charge, and jet ski rentals were on site for a fee. They also had snorkel and tennis available complimentary. The boys saw many sting rays out on the jet skis.Onsite mini market was nice. We had a 2 br so there was plenty of room. Daily housekeeping was a blessing for me! We did not even use the pull down murphy beds. Shuttle into Playa was a nice feature as well. There was construction going on at the resort but never posed a problem for us and we were right next to it. Overall a magical week of fun in the sun!

Begging coatis (Dec 2009)Begging coatis (Dec 2009)

Coati (Dec 2008)Coati (Dec 2008)

The Hotel DriveThe Hotel Drive

relax and enjoyrelax and enjoy

Beach Erosion?

by pip60

I've heard that the beach has been damamged by the recent Hurricanes along the Mayan Riviera. Does anyone have updated information about the state of the beaches?

Re: Beach Erosion?

by tripster1

The hurricanes damage you are referring to happened last year. After the damage was done, Mexico hired a company out of Europe somewhere to blow the sand back up to the washed out beach region in the Riviera Maya. That has been completed and the beaches look great. Some of the beached are not quite as deep as they were before but the beach is back and in good shape. The government is currently working on building barriers about 50 yards out in the water to prevent the washaway effect that hurricanes cause when they blow through. There is no guarantee that there won't be much damage the next time around but they are doing all they can to limit what mother nature does to those beaches. Enjoy Mexico, it is a wonderful paradise.

Re: Beach Erosion?

by nospam

Just returned from Playa. In comparison from our first visit 5 years ago the beaches are basically unchanged. Still amazingly beautiful. A few more sand bags to protect from erosion and Playa in general is much bigger and busier. You will have a great time.

Comments