Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts

Lote Hotelero No. 6, Desarrollo Playacar, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya 77710, Mexico

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• ebnoia's Profile Photo

Wonderful Resort

My husband and I stayed here for one week in June 2003 for our honeymoon. I wish we could have stayed forever. The staff was amazing, the food was wonderful, eveything was spectacular. Exactly what we wanted for a honeymoon. Very relaxing. We were pampered and felt very spoiled. I have been to all-inclusives before and I did not feel like I was at one while staying here. Everything was top notch. We are going back in 2008 for our 5 year anniversary but this time, staying for 2 weeks!

Unique Quality: My husband and I both received massages at the spa while vacationing. They were amazing!!

More about Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts

Royal Hideaway (be careful)

by TripAdvisor Member Spyke

We arrived in September following the Hurricane Isadore and before Hurricane Lilli. Unfortunately, our travel provider, Apple Vacations, and Ryan International were not upfront about conditions on the Yucatan peninsula. (see other reviews on them - don't use either of them!!) The hotel has all of the big details down. Rooms are okay (but I've paid less for better in Vegas) good service, good food (for the most part). It's the little details that would keep me from giving them five stars. We arrived and the floor was wet, we waited over an hour to get a maid to clean it up and the bathtub had debris in it from an open window. No rugs on the floor even after we found out about the slippery condensation from the a/c. My wife fell at 3:00 a.m. from the wet floor and injured her knee. Required surgery and 6 months rehab. Forget about suing. The Mexican court system makes that almost impossible. The rest of the vacation was limited. Restaurants were average to good, service was great if you tipped them. The resort says no tipping, but if you don't, you may have to get your drink yourself. The grounds were nice, but be careful of the little bridges, if they are wet, you'll end up in the water or worse. Drinks seem to be watered down at the pool, I had several and never felt a thing. (not that getting drunk was my aim). Amenities such as snorkeling trips were average. Book them through another company. One offers full and half day and all you have to do is take the ferry to Cozumel. It was supposed to be adults only, but rugrats kept intruding on the pool regardless of my complaints to management. Most people were there for their honeymoon. So if you are a social person it may be too quiet for you. All in all, not bad, but certainly not worth the money. Would not return....unless it was free!

The Royal Hideaway Resort in...

by tfly

The Royal Hideaway Resort in Playa Del Carmen is pure luxury. We have never stayed at a better all-inclusive resort. 24 hour room service and our every whim catered to almost instantly was a real treat. The gormet food is among the worlds finest and the service was impecible. The place is only a year old(1999) and the rooms, restaurants and common areas are kept extremely clean and beautiful all the time. The resort is VERY laid back so be prepared to simply relax and let the staff do everything for you. My wife and I loved the place. If you want to spend a little more money for the very best stay at the Royal Hideaway.
The LOWEST price for the basic luxury package is $260.00 per person per night double occupancy--without airfare. Facilities are the best and the service is beyond compare - see my general comments above. You will be very pampered here.

We were fortunate enough to...

by barbenorton

We were fortunate enough to stay in tow resorts in Playa. We stayed at teh Vica Azteca the first week and enjoyed it a lot. It's a lovely place with a cool thatch roof bar just above the pool area.. the pool area leads right to the ocean which provides plenty of cots and shade if you need it. The room we had was nice, nothing too elaborate.. the bed was not very domfortable but that was my only complaint. The food was plentiful, again noting too outstanding, but not bad. We then moved to the Royal Hideaway ( this was a paid for business thing. The Royal Hideaway is luxury all the way.. everything was superb! Everything!The grounds, the pools, the rooms the food.. it was all fabulous!

This is heaven!

by TripAdvisor Member anakhyte

Review of the Occidental Royal Hideaway Playacar Resort and Spa, Playa del Carmen, Mexico We have just returned from our Honeymoon where we spent a week at the Royal Hideaway, February 17th through 24th, room 3112, and I must say that this is the most perfect place in every way that we have ever had the pleasure to stay at. We have traveled extensively throughout North America, Europe and the Caribbean, always staying in luxury accommodations. The level of professionalism, with regards to the service, accommodations and dining establishments on the resort was second to none. We were told by many other travelers not to expect a 5 star resort in Mexico to compare with a 5 star in North America or Europe, but the Royal Hideaway proves this to be wrong. Perhaps they are the exception - this is our first trip to Mexico. When you first arrive at the Royal Hideaway you are courteously greeted by the staff and presented with a chilled glass of champagne and a cool towel. No standing in line at a reception desk - the Royal Hideaway has intimate desks set up throughout the lobby with two chairs for you to sit at as you check in. Check in was a breeze - we were escorted to our villa, our luggage was promptly taken to our room (within 10 minutes!) and all of the room amenities explained to us. All resort staff is fluent in English. The staff is the most professional, courteous and genuinely helpful of any that we have ever encountered. Everyone really seems to enjoy their job and they go out of their way to ensure that you are treated royally. A very rare quality that we experienced at the Royal Hideaway was this extremely high level of professional service combined with genuine warmth and caring. This is not often seen, but the Royal Hideaway seems to have it perfected. After our first night at the resort (we were in room 3128) we mentioned to the staff in the lobby that the room was a bit dark, and asked if it would be possible to get a room with morning sun. Without question, we were escorted to a different room, # 3112, which faced the beach and received full morning sun. This room was heavenly. All of the rooms are very spacious. Ours had a king sized bed, but rooms with two queen beds are also available. The bathrooms are phenomenal. As large as some hotel rooms, the bathroom consisted of separate toilet area, double marble sinks, separate marble shower, jacuzzi tub (with window overlooking the beach!) in a curtained area, and a walk in closet. We really couldn't have asked for better. Our room was on the first floor, which we really enjoyed, as it afforded us the luxury of feeling that we were in a tropical garden. The large balcony was equipped with two lounge beds with thick padded covers. On both sides of the balcony there was lush foliage and flowers. This gave a sense of privacy even though we were facing the beach and pool area. Each villa has only 12 to 18 suites in it and is attended by it's own concierge. Our concierge was Luz. She was wonderful, always pleasant and of course, extremely efficient. We booked all of our dinner reservations on our first day there and did not have a problem getting reasonable dining times at any of the fabulous restaurants. The beach is wonderful. White sand, turquoise blue water, gentle waves (a couple of days we had moderate sized waves, but nothing outrageous) and always a breeze to keep the temperature from feeling uncomfortably hot. The resort also provides "tents" on the beach for those who prefer to have a bit of shade. Unlimited plush beach towels are also available at the beach. The unobtrusive yet efficient security staff keeps peddlers from bothering the guests at the resort. You may approach these beach sellers if you desire, but they will not come up to you and pester you.Beach service by the many waiters serving the oceanfront is fabulous. Most days our waiter was Nelson. He is the best! Our drinks were replaced whenever they got warm; we were never without something cold to sip on for the entire time that we were there. Food service to the beach is also a treat. Real china and cloth napkins accompany even the simplest snack. The resort offers numerous water sports, but we did not participate in any of them. Others seemed to be enjoying them though. The beach never felt crowded. We were always able to secure a set of lounge beds, even if we didn't arrive at the beach until after noon. The grounds and buildings at the Royal Hideaway are magnificent. The architecture is superb in all instances, and in every building the d├ęcor is fabulous. This place is really a thing of beauty. I could not possibly describe everything without writing a book, so you will have to go there to see it! It is far more beautiful than any of the pictures on their website. The dining, without exception, was wonderful. All restaurants are a la carte, with the exception of one breakfast buffet. The menu selection was superb. All dishes were prepared expertly, presented beautifully and tasted exquisitely delicious! The service was faultless. All waiters are trained as per a 5 star restaurant. The service is without exception professional, friendly and efficient. You will not find service better than the restaurants at the Royal Hideaway anywhere in the world, as far as we know. The resort offers cocktails and music until 1 am at the Allegria Bar. Again, we have never received better service anywhere. Our server on most evenings was Paula. She was one of the nicest people we have ever had the pleasure to deal with. Professional and extremely efficient, as with all Royal Hideaway staff, and with such a beautiful personality that we now consider her a friend. What a treat! To sum things up, this is definitely the most wonderful place that we have ever had the pleasure to stay at. There is not one fault that we could possibly find with anything at the Royal Hideaway. This is true excellence. We will definitely be back. Elaine Salo-Ablack and Prem Ablack Victoria, B.C. Canada

Wonderful - The Best!

I am very surprised to read some of the reviews from other readers. I spent my honeymoon at the Royal Hideaway and it was nothing less than spectacular. I could go on and on...the food was wonderful, the staff was very helpful, the weekly entertainment was great, the beach was beautiful, the pools were relaxing, the resort was spotless and overall it was a wonderful value. Being an all-inclusive that is - some people think that is not a good thing - but it was so nice to just have everything you could possibly want anytime you wanted it! The beach/pool staff was very attentive too. They arranged everything we wanted to do in Mexico and were very helpful. I would for sure go back again! Jennifer

Best Honeymoon Ever

by TripAdvisor Member Playatraveller

We have just returned from 10 full days of relaxation and pampering. My wife and I debated over the extra $$$ that the Royal Hideaway was in comparison to the surrounding resorts and we are so happy that we chose it.

We arrived at 10:30am and expected to wait until the afternoon for our room to be ready as check in at 3:00pm. While sipping our glasses of champagne and cooling down with a fresh towel, the concierge indicated that our room was being cleaned and would be ready in 30 minutes. Better yet, the room requests that we had e-mailed weeks before had all be provided.

Upon arrival to our Villa, our Concierge Ruben welcomed us by name room as escorted us to our room. A chilled bottle of champagne was waiting as it was our Honeymoon and Ruben gave us a quick tour of the room and explained how the stereo/TV/VCR all worked. We asked about dinner reservations and within 5 minutes had dinner set up for the week. The room was spacious and very classy. We quickly unpacked and headed to the beach.

The service throughout our entire stay was fabulous. We met the General Manager one evening who was walking through the resort and speaking with all guests about their stay. You can really see that they focus on personalized attention. It was our first time there and definetly not our last.

I truly do not think that any of the below reports could be from the same paradise. We ony received the highest quality of service!!

Wonderfully Surprised

Before my husband and I booked this trip we both did some research...we found that the reviews were literally split down the middle. Our travel agent conviced us to go so we did. I am completely shocked that so many reviews were negative! We had the most wonderful trip ever. The staff was so friendly, willing do do anything for us. The food was fabulous and the grounds were beautiful. I couldn't find a bad thing to say about this place even if i wanted to!

I have heard that it can get noisy if your room is on the side of the resort that is next to the Allegra but our room was on the opposite side and as quiet and peaceful as can be! I would absolutely reccomend this place to anyone and promise that we will be back soon!

Elegant, Relaxing and Fun

The hotel has beautiful grounds and each little villa offers private concierge service. All the rooms have terraces or balconies. The best quality of the RH is the level of service it is exquisite. From the moment you check in, you are treated very special. This is not a place you go for activities and discos, but a place to relax and enjoy the beauty of the surroundings. The staff is prepared to offer you anything possible. We had a problem with our dinner reservations (prime times fill up quickly during peak seasons), and the manager himself took care of it, and called the next day to make sure that everything had gone well. The restaurants are wonderful no tacky buffets. The quality of the food and liquor is impeccable (the house wines leave a bit to be desired). A wonderful treat!

Weddings at Royal Hideaway

by rosieanded

I am getting married at the Royal Hideaway Playacar.Has anyone been married there? Do you have any pictures? Any good advice??

RE: Weddings at Royal Hideaway

by pedrocarlos

This is the best hotel in Playacar area.Good choice!!

Comments