Shangri La Caribe

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Calle 38 Norte con Zona Federal Maritima, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

Mahekal Beach Resort
Orbitz.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Costs 224% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• domerta's Profile Photo

The Most Incredible Resort In Playa

This magical resort was staffed by the best of the best in Mexico. Everything was clean, delicious and comfortable.

Unique Quality: Perfect indoor and outdoor dining facility, pool, outdoor bar, room service, and community room to play ping pong and pool. What a blast!

More about Shangri La Caribe

Shangri La Caribe: If you...

by svillegirl

Shangri La Caribe: If you are looking for something romantic and casual this is the place for you! The rates are good and include breakfast, dinner, tax and tip. They have a cool little out door bar complete with swings.

Please do not attempt to swing after too many 'adult' beverages. The landing may be on sand, but I'm sure the embarrassment tends to linger.

Didn't Get What We Paid For!!!

My family and I stayed at Shangri-La Caribe in Jan., 2002. The place is beautifull. Unfortunately, our vacation was not as pleasant as we had hoped for. We were promised & paid for an ocean view room. What we got was different. We could barely, & I mean barely, see the ocean from the patio of our jalapa. The management did absolutely nothing to accomadate a change. I felt ripped off big time!!! I wrote letters to the company in Colorado that owns the establishment hoping to receive at least an appology. But I never heard anything. My travel agent did the same with no reply. Needless to say, I do not recommend this place to anyone, unless you want a bad taste in your mouth after your vacation!!!

Slice of paradise

A terrific slice of paradise at a wonderful price. Truly a diamond in the rough and we highly recommend staying at this location. The rooms are nice, staff is very friendly, and ocean is spectacular. A wonderful place.

Shangri-La is aptly named

We stayed at Shangri-La in early March. We wanted laid-back, quiet and
peaceful. I was recovering from surgery and wanted to take lots of
naps. We were in a single bungalow nueve Caribe which was one row back
from the beach. We we had lovely view between two bungalows in front of
us which also shield us from beach walkers. The beach was clean,
usually quiet and we had no problems finding chaises. One woman I
talked to at the pool on a Sunday complained that the beach was full of
Mexicans and their families on Sunday. When I replied that I thought it
was wonderful that the beaches were public and that the very people who
served us so well during the week were able to enjoy the same paradise
as we did - in their own country, she said she hadn't thought of that
and agreed. It was fun seeing the little kids having so much fun. The
remainder of the week, the beach was ours. Our room was very clean, no
bugs, no mold and promptly cleaned each day. The food was good to very
good especially when you are expected to serve masses each day. The
staff was fun and encouraged everyone to speak Spanish even if badly.
The bar had some wonderful music one evening - Segovia influenced and I
was surprised they didn't advertise it more and only a handful of
people enjoyed the happy hour treat. The mixed group of people were
very friendly and we talked to many couples. Those with small children
controlled them very well. I like the livliness of a few kids around
even though we are older. When they are unruly, I try to remember when
our kids were small and not always little adults. Vacations are for
relaxation not stressing about small things. Go and enjoy. Maria
PS: It was a little annoying how people claimed chaises early in the day, but we always found a spot. If there is nothing but a towel, move it aside and say the staff must have thought it was abandoned.

Relaxing...but...

Okay, first of all, the proximity to the beach is amazing. Literally 10 steps and you're on the most beautiful white-sand beach in Mexico. The staff is nice and helpful. All that being said, here are a few tips when staying there: splurge for the ocean front or ocean view. It's HOT there, and with no air-conditioning you'll really appreciate the breezes off the ocean at night. Do not stay in the pueblita section, as they are older and lack the charm and proximity to the beach. Also, if possible, stay in the PLAYA section. This is the newest and nicest section. The better pool, the newer cabanas, etc etc. We stayed in the Caribe section and it was okay, but we were yearning for the Playa section the whole time. The food is mediocre at best. (for the exception of breakfast, which is lovely). Even though meals were included in the room rate, we ended up walking to town every time for a decent meal. And that brings me to the walk to town. About 15 min (which doesn't seem like much, but wait til you're in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity). Everytime we wanted any civilization-food, drinks, bank, etc, it was a trek. On the upside, I have NEVER slept like that in my life. There's nothing like the breeze wafting over you and the sound of the waves right outside. If you want to totally CHILL, no TV, no phone, no entertainment - this is the place for you. Great hammocks, great beach, total get-away. If you're not into the whole sensory deprivation thing, you may want to stay at one of the beachfront hotels that are a little closer to town.

Just our style!

We went to Playa to attend a friend's wedding and were a little leary about staying right in the center of town with the rest of them...Shangri La was the perfect alternative for us. It was quiet and quaint with a beautiful big beach just steps from our room. I, too, would recommend splurging for the Playa section and go with an oceanfront or oceanview room. We did and it was perfect temperature and a great view.

Breakfast is the best of the two meals, with the freshest fruit you have ever had. Dinner was hit or miss, but better than spending money in town either way. The staff was outrageously helpful and very detailed in their work...Sunday night Mexican dinner buffet was great.

Town is about a 15-20 minute walk, but we were happy to make the trek considering our hotel area was generally much less crowded than town. Taxis are easy to catch on the main street two blocks up; they cost about 15-20 pesos and were a nice way to get around a night. You can catch them all over town for a ride back to the hotel. If you want to make car rental reservations, we found it easy to do through the hotel and spent a great day touring Tulum and snorkeling in nearby cenotes.

Of all the hotels that our friends stayed in, ours was definitely the most coveted. Many of the hotels in town have raging beach bars and a loud night scene. It was nice to visit, but better to grab our cab and go back to our private little beach. Shangri La came the closest we've ever experienced to the perfect beach trip. If you're shoppping for a place in Playa on a medium budget, Shangri La is a must-do!

Relaxing Resort

by TripAdvisor Member GlobeTrotter2000

My husband and I stayed here in August 2002 and loved the place! The staff was helpful and friendly and the beach is by far the most beautiful in Playa del Carmen! We loved the beachside bar which is great for afternoon margartias and snacks. The breakfasts are also lovely. On the downside, there are a lot of bugs so bring plenty of spray and citronella candles. The dinners are so-so at best. There are some good restaurants in town but they can be expensive and very crowded. Be prepared for the crowds.

Stay Here! You will love it!

Seven of us just returned from a week at the Shangri-La. It is absolutely wonderful. The staff is incredible and friendly. We asked that our rooms be close to each other and all of our decks faced one another. It was perfect.

The whole resort is beautiful. Make sure you stay on the Playa side with a view room so you can catch the breezes off the ocean.

The walk into town is very close. I kept reading it was a 20 minute walk but really only about 10. Very safe. Never took a cab. The breakfast is soooo good. All the fresh fruit you could ever want. Dinner was good. Sunday's are Mexican Night with a great buffet!

There is a little store at the end of the street where we bought a styrofoam cooler and then bought ice and bottled water every day. Very inexpensive.

Go here on your next trip and you won't be disappointed!

svillegirl's new Mexico Page

by svillegirl

What can I say about Mexico? It can be relaxing, exciting....it can be anything you want it to be. I have only travled on the Caribbean side of the country.
I have been there 3 times under different situations. All were fun.

The second time I was there was to escort a group of 200 Italian business men. We stayed at the Marriott in Cancun. It is a lovely upscale resort where the service was friendly.

The first and last times I was in Mexico I stayed at one of my favorite resorts in the world! Shangri La Caribe.
This resort is not for everyone! It isn't a sky rise, with 24 hour room service. Heck the rooms don't even have T.V. or a phone!

What they do have is a relaxing feeling that is rare to find.

This is my favorite place to stay...Shangri

Hotel Shangri-la-Caribe or Costa del mar

by Roland40

We are planning a trip on Feb. 12 - 16 for 2 days of cenote diving. What are the pros and cons of these 2 hotels. We are also looking for a dive shop to take us diving. Do these hotels offer dive packages? Can we catch a bus from cancun airport straight to playa or do we have to go into cancun city? Thanks Roland..

RE: RE: Hotel Shangri-la-Caribe or Costa del mar

by k80

Hi,
We stayed at Shangri La last year and it has an excellent on site Dive Shop. They will organise anything you want to do. It has the best part of the beach and is only a 10 min walk to 5th Avenue. Good service, good food and very helpful. Check out their web site (just type in Shangri La Caribe and hit return) - it's very informative and the pictures are very true to life.

RE: Hotel Shangri-la-Caribe or Costa del mar

by k80

Sorry - forgot to say that you can catch a bus from the airport- go to the Info Desk and they will direct you. I think the buses run every 1/2 hour and depending which service you get it will take between 60 - 90 min.

Comments