The Fairmont Mayakoba

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Fairmont Mayakoba

Mayakoba Mas Fina!

by TripAdvisor Member fjmcpa

My family and I have just returned from five glorious nights at the Fairmont Mayakoba. The beautiful new resort hotel is truly magnificent and very unique. Our family had never experienced such incredible service before. All of the resort staff greeted us with sincere "holas" or called us by name at every opportunity. We were warmly greeted upon arrival with cool towels and iced beverages and this treatment continued throughout our stay.

The resort is absolutely sprawling, literally nestled into the jungle and towards the beach. You get around the resort on golf carts, boats ("Launches") or bikes ("beach cruisers"). The bikes are great to ride around (take a trip to the beach in the morning), the boats are great around sunset, and the golf carts (with very friendly drivers) are good for getting to/from the lobby, your room and the pools.

We stayed in a Signature Casita with a gorgeous view of the golf course and the lagoon waterway. The room had two very comfortable queen beds, plenty of closet space (2) and a wonderful marble bathroom with two vanities, seperate bath tub and shower. Each casita has a 37" LCD TV with a decent variety of programming.

The resort lists 5 seperate pools (our children loved the waterslide pool!) and it seems as though there are more. We only ate at La Laguna restaurant for breakfast buffett and for dinner one night - the food was slightly expensive but very good. Cafe Maya is centrally located next to the main pools and provides plenty of options for casual lunch (i.e. sandwiches, fruit and such).

The PGA will host a tournament at the El Chameleon Golf Course, located on the grounds of the Fairmont Mayakoba, in February of 2007. This course is very well laid out and quite reasonable ($93.00 twilight for resort guests). All in all, a challenge to play!

Once the entire Mayakoba Development is finished, the area will boast such high end luxury hotels as the Viceroy, Banyan Tree, and one or two others, in addition to the Fairmont. I'm sure that by 2008/2009, this will become "The" destination for high-end travellers wanting luxury in Mexico.

Overall I would say this is the best hotel we have ever stayed on our vacation. The wonderful memories of this place will stay with our daughters forever. We hope to be back next year!

A Truly Beautiful Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Noz

We stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba for 10 days at the start of September . You enter the hotel from a main road and not very impressive entrance which is still being worked on and then this paradise appeared! It truly is a place where you have to accept doing nothing except relaxing! The staff are amazing - great sense of humour - and all speak very good English. We spent most of our days on the beach - and had great fun getting there and back on the bikes - once we had worked out where the brakes were!!!
We went to Playa most evenings - which was great . I agree that the dining options are very formal and currently quite limited - but it was still nice to get out of the hotel. It really depends what you want.
The resort in my opinion is fauitless - the gym is wonderful - dont agree with the daily $15 fee though - so hopefully they will sort that out.
Go, enjoy and be pampered.

Outstanding, Past Negative Reviews Not True

by TripAdvisor Member treyl

We just returned from the Fairmont Mayakoba and had probably our best vacation ever. I took my wife for her birthday and was very worried prior to our arrival b/c of the negative reviews. I have no idea what these people expected. We have stayed at numerous Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons and others similar and believe that this Fairmont ranks as high if not higher than those. The rooms, the service, the construction of the buildings, the layout was tremendous. The longer we were there the more we enjoyed ourselves.

Yes, drinks and food are expensive. But what do you expect when you stay at a luxury resort that has spent millions to give you a great experience. Try pricing out the Four Seasons Punta Mita.

We stayed in a Signature Casita and had Oscar as our butler. Excellent in every way. The golf course is great and very reasonable ($80 for twilight). We highly recommend this place and will probably be back (which we rarely do at resorts -- we like to try something new every year) with our children.

Eco Friendly & Pristine - Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member msbianca2

My sister and I transferred from the Riu in Playa Del Carmen to stay at the Fairmont Mayakoba. I am a Fairmont Lover. Let's just say the moment we stepped into the lobby, we knew we made the right decision to transfer.

The grounds are GORGEOUS. I am an avid traveler and I must say the Fairmont Mayakoba is the best resort grounds I have ever been on. It was lush and spread out. I didn't think I was in Mexico. The resort is so large that they provide you with bikes to get around. And if you do not feel like peddling around the resort, golf carts circle the grounds 24hours a day, or you can catch the boat to different stations.

ROOM: We had the garden view rooms. It was nice, large, and clean. The beds were HEAVENLY!! The bathrooms are large and airy with floor to ceiling windows. The rooms have flat screen TV’s, goose down comforters and large balconies.

SPA/GYM: Gym was nicely equipped with earphones and TV’s on some of the equipments. The spa was large and tranquil. I felt my service was just so-so. I have had better at a much lower price. I think your paying more for the atmosphere than the service. The eucalyptus sauna was my favorite.

FOOD: Hmmm. . . . Let's just say that it is very pricey. Nothing to really write home about. I felt that something’s were outrageously priced. My sister and I brought some drinks and goodies from our previous hotel (it was all inclusive), so that saved us paying outrageous prices for water and liquor.

BEACH: The BEST!!! White sand and blue water. No motorized water vehicles anywhere around to be seen or heard. Just a note though, there are no trees or shade on the beach - but the umbrellas they have provide plenty of shade (& this is coming from someone who despises sun). With two umbrellas you should be fine. The beach butlers come by and set up your spot for you which is a nice added touch.

OVERALL: I would definitely go back. I would probably again bring my own drinks and snacks (I am cheap like that). But please remember that the resort fee you pay upon check-in covers ALL TIPS. So it is not necessary to tip everyone - it's covered. This hotel was quiet, tranquil, and relaxing. There is no night life or employees trying to make you get involved anything. It is just peaceful. When they have another special I will definitely try to take my family there.

Enjoy!

READ this Review if it is the only one you read...

by TripAdvisor Member gyani_travels

If you only read one review make it this review. My wife and I are from NY and have traveled around the world, Asia, Europe, Hawaii, and other corners of the world where deluxe accomodations have a meaning unlike anything you find and avergae travel destinations.
When comparing the Fairmont Mayakoba we compare our visit to places like the Four Seasons, the Banyan Tree Hotels, the Park Hyatt's, etc of the world...and I can confidently say that the Mayakoba Fairmont was the BEST all around hotel we ever stayed in.
The room was exceptional, we had a suite with a private pool on the beach...we had a butler that would have done anything for us (we love you Oscar,) and we had a resort that was so naturally placed in its environment that it feels as if you are a local.
BUT beyond all that the staff and it willingness and honest desire to make our stay the best ever was supernatural. They went out of the way for us even for the smallest of details. In the room, the bar, the pool, the beach, the restaurants everyone knew our name, knew what we liked and made sure we were always pleased. We were there for our anniversary and the staff made it one that we will never ever forget!
Thanks to everyone at the hotel!
You only live once, splurge and enjoy the best hotel in the world you will not regret your stay!

Fantastic Resort

by TripAdvisor Member WorldTravelBoy

My wife and I just returned from the Fairmont Mayakoba where we spent four days. We, too, had read the couple of recent negative reviews and were a bit concerned. I am so glad we ignored those reviews and went anyway.

Upon check-in, we were upgraded from the standard Fairmont room to a deluxe casita. It appears that they are doing the finishing touches on the standard rooms. We didn't have much of a view in the deluxe casita but we don't spend much time in our room. The deluxe casita room itself was extremely nice and the bathroom was phenomenal.

We spent most of our time at the beach or the beach pool. The papal roof of the restaurant by the beach was hit by lightening in July and it appeared that work would not be completed until September. However, the kitchen is open and you can have lunch on the terrace overlooking the water or at your seat at the beach or pool. The main pool is very nice with a waterslide, swim-up bar and Jacuzzi section and a separate adult pool. Although the pool is large, the design also makes it fairly intimate.

The service was phenomenal. The staff are extremely friendly, very accommodating and appear to sincerely enjoy chatting with the guests. We also found the food to be very good. While the menu items are generally expensive, the Mayan and Mexican breakfast and dinner items at La Laguna Grill are reasonable. For the most part, we ate the local dishes and breakfast usually cost us about $35 for two and dinner around $75 with a couple of beers each and one appetizer. A typical dinner at the more formal El Puerto Restaurant will run you about $150 per couple. Personally, I thought that dinner at La Laguna Grill was just as good if not better. We ate most of our lunches at Café Maya near the main pool which has great sandwiches for $8.50. You can also get beer and snacks for your room there at about half the cost of room service or at the restaurants.

I recommend taking an evening boat tour of the canals and cenotes. It takes about an hour so stop by Café Maya first and pick up some beers or wine for the tour.

Wonderful stay at this beautiful resort

by TripAdvisor Member bossids

We just returned from a seven-night stay at the Fairmont Mayakoba and we loved it. In our opinion, it’s a beautiful, five-star resort. After reading some of the earlier unfavorable reviews, we considered not staying there. However, we are now very glad that we did.

ROOMS: The rooms are nice and spacious, and this appears to be true regardless of location or room type. The furnishings and amenities are high quality. The beds are comfortable, there is plenty of storage space and the bathrooms are huge. Large windows and an enclosed private garden provide a very unique addition to the bathrooms. We were in a Private Signature casita down near the beach, which includes the services of a butler. Our butler, Oscar, was awesome. He was very friendly and accommodating and he went out of his way to add extra-special touches to our vacation.

GROUNDS: Due to the fact that the resort is relatively new and they are entering their slower Fall season, the resort was only 20-30% occupied during our visit. We enjoyed the peace and solitude of a very un-crowded resort. There are 5 pools and they are all sufficiently large that I don’t think the resort will feel crowded even when it is full. The grounds and pools are absolutely beautiful. In addition, there was never a long wait for a golf cart to drive you around the property. It’s about a 3-to-5 minute ride in the golf carts between the beach area and the main part of the hotel. In previous reviews, we read a lot about bugs in the evening, so we typically sprayed ourselves before going outside in the evening and we got very few bites. It does get a bit buggy in the evening, especially after it rains, but the bugs were not nearly as bad as we had been led to believe by some earlier reviews. Also, be sure to take the boat tour of the resort lagoons. It’s a beautiful way to see the varied ecosystems within the resort.

FOOD AND DRINK: We found the quality of the food to be very good and the pricing is comparable to (or even slightly less expensive than) other 5-star resorts (i.e., Fairmont, Rosewood, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons) in the Caribbean, Florida, Mexico or Hawaii. Drink prices are high, especially the specialty drinks and wine, but we found wine to be fairly expensive even in restaurants in Playa del Carmen. The breakfast buffet at La Laguna restaurant was excellent and we also really enjoyed eating lunch on the Terrace at Las Brisas, overlooking the beautiful beach. We had dinner twice at El Puerto, which was very good and the service was excellent. Be sure to try their lime & chocolate parfait dessert, which is fantastic. Unfortunately, Las Brisas restaurant was closed for dinner during our visit due a recent lightning strike that caused a roof fire, but it is supposed to open again within the next few weeks. We also went into Playa for dinner on several evenings ($15 cab ride in each direction), and ate at several good restaurants that were recommended by the hotel staff.

SERVICE: In our opinion, this is where this resort really stands out. Across the board, we found the hotel staff to be among the nicest, friendliest people we have ever encountered at a resort. Everyone seemed genuinely warm and committed to insuring that guests have a wonderful experience. They offer a lot of special touches (cold towels, fruit, etc..) at the pools and beach. The golf cart drivers are very knowledgeable about the resort and its ecosystems, local attractions and restaurants, and they often strike up very interesting conversations with the guests, which make the trip to or from the beach pass very quickly.

FINAL NOTES: This is a wonderful resort with an incredibly warm and friendly staff, which makes for a very nice and relaxing vacation. However, you should be aware of a few things in choosing this hotel. First, it’s pretty quiet and low key, so if you’re looking for a lot of activity and night life, you’ll need to go into Playa. Second, there is no water sports center on the Fairmont’s beach, as there are at many Caribbean resorts. Hence, there is no noise from motor boats or jet skis on the beach. However, if these or other activities, such as sailing, wind surfing or snorkeling, are important to you, you will need to make arrangements to do them elsewhere. Also, there are currently no tennis courts on the property. There is a beautiful golf course and a Willow Stream Spa, although we didn’t use either during our visit, so we can’t comment on them other than to say that they look very nice.

We believe that it’s only a matter of time before this hotel and the Mayakoba complex are "discovered". We’re very glad we found it and got to experience it now, and we look forward to returning in the future.

What a fabulous resort! We loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member LavaJava96

Our family of 4 (me, husband, two small boys ages 5 and an almost 3 year old) stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba for 6 nights for a family vacation, as well as to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. It was fabulous!! The hotel is beautiful, serene, and spread out. Our boys loved traveling by the golf carts (exciting for them, especially going over the bridges), and by boat. It was very scenic, and pretty. My husband used the bikes to go bike riding around the complex during the mornings. We never had to wait long for the golf carts. It usually came by within minutes.

The people who work there are so nice. They are genuinely kind and thoughtful. We stayed in a Signature Casita Suite and had two huge bathrooms, and a butler. The rooms are gorgeous, and the bathrooms are huge, with glass windows (overlooking a private garden so you feel like you are bathing outdoors), rain shower heads in gorgeous showers, and there is a big sunken tub. Tons of closet space. The beds are very comfortable. The rooms feel very clean. We had two queen size beds, and I think our sofa had a sofabed. We also had two flat screen tvs. My boys loved our room! The hotel celebrated our anniversary with a gorgeous floral arrangement, along with a bottle of wine and fruits, with an extremely thoughtful card. I thought that was very thoughtful of them. They also arranged for us to have a private tour of the premises via boat one early evening.

The pools and beach are pristine. The pools have a swim up bar, as well as areas where you can lie in the water to suntan. The pools are the perfect temperature, and felt super clean. Never too cold, and in the evenings, it feels perfectly warm. All the pools are about 4 ½ feet or so deep. I brought along two floatation vests for my two boys, and they had a blast swimming all over, and I didn’t have to worry as much about being right next to them. They also have a slide, which the kids loved! It wasn’t too steep, but went fast, and went into the 4 ½ feet of water, which is perfect for me and my husband because we can’t swim that well. The beach is beautiful, and not crowded, and the chairs are cushiony and comfortable. I liked the fact that the kid’s pool and the beach had lifeguards on hand. Not a lot of hotels have this. The infinity pool (adults pool) was stunning.

We ate at the hotel restaurants. The food was good, with great service and presentation. Yes, it’s expensive, but most restaurants in hotels usually are. This one is no different. And look around you… you are paying for being in a gorgeous atmosphere so we didn’t mind. We also balanced it out by going into town to eat, which was also very fun. The 5th Avenue at Playa de Carmen reminded me a bit of Lincoln Road in Miami (lots of cool shops and fun restaurants). We ate the breakfast buffet at La Laguna (at the hotel), and they had musicians playing there in the morning, as well as in the evening for dinner.

My husband and I took turns and went to the spa. Gorgeous spa! In the women’s spa, there is a whirlpool, an inhalation room (smells like eucalyptus and other nice scents), and a steam room, as well as a swiss shower (imagine twelve shower heads hitting you, along with an additional rain shower head above – bliss!). There is also a pretty pool on the third floor – I think it is a mineral pool, and a lounge area. We could have went to the gym, but didn’t feel very inclined to work out. There is also a free kids club which I brought my boys to for about 30 minutes. I left them there to try it out, and my youngest started tearing after 15 minutes, and the person who worked there held him and hugged him until I got there. That was so nice of them.

We had a wonderful time. The service there was top notch. We would definitely go back there again, and again, and again. Prior to going, I read all the reviews on Trip Advisor, and was nervous after reading some of the negative reviews. After being there, I can’t imagine the things that happened in the negative reviews. Everyone is extremely friendly and nice. If you ask for directions, they don’t just point you, they gladly walk you. We didn’t have any bugs in our room, except for a few of those very tiny ants, but you get that in any other hotels. We never had a problem with our room key. I think this hotel is perfect. It’s elegant, restful and relaxing. The décor is outstanding. It’s perfect for parents with kids who want a nice and elegant hotel, but also one that welcomes kids. I like the fact that they had lifeguards. Also, when you exit the hotel by car, they keep track of who is leaving and destination, as well as who comes in, and time. I like that. I feel more secure knowing that they have good security. We felt extremely safe being there, and we drank the regular water at the hotel (if you can eat their ice, their water is usually fine) and we were all completely fine and no one got sick. There were also some honeymooners there and they looked like they were in heaven. I think it would make a great honeymoon hotel. Very romantic, and the pools have lots of semi private sections that you can go off and be alone. It wasn’t crowded at all either (we went in 2nd week of August), and we liked it that way.

Also, we didn’t rent a car, and am glad that we did not. Unless you plan to drive a lot, or will know your way around a strange place, it’s so much easier to just hop into a cab. After all those Mexican taxes get added to your car rental, it comes out to the same amount or less for taking cabs, and it is definitely easier with no headache and stress. I hope this review helps some of you out there, as a lot of the reviews here have helped me.

"Oh My" akoba

by TripAdvisor Member invancouver

If you are basing whether or not to stay at the Myakoba on reviews, then be sure to read them all for fairness. I did read some positive reviews but felt the need for harsher information. Needlesstosay, I was not expecting much from this hotel (that we had already booked) based on some reviews. With that said, here is how I feel about the Myakoba.
Every square inch of this resort has been planned out in detail. The decor is a marvel and the ambiance of the lobby is inviting. Okay, so all of the reviews that mention the lack of people are true. But if you want to look at it another way, this makes for a peaceful and very relaxing holiday and let's face it, the staff will have more time for you! For those who do not need a lot of people around while you are enjoying the gorgeous white sandy beaches and managable surf, this may be the place for you. I usually love to have swarms of people around but after experiencing the smaller popuation at this resort, I got quite used to fewer people. After the PGA tournament that starts on February 19th 2007, I don't imagine that this resort will remain the secret it is today. If you enjoy being treated on the beach with many little surprises that I won't give away, again, this could be the place for you. The staff is beyond helpful , and it is obvious that their goal is for you to have a restful and memorable stay. By night-time, we were ready to take on bigger crowds, so we took a taxi to Playa Del Carmen most nights for dinner as the food at the hotel is a bit pricey. Playa is filled with shops and restaurants and many people milling about. If you want to check out the club scene, Saturday nights at the Blue Parrot and directly accross the street at Om seem to be popular choices. The Blue Parrot is a club on the beach while Om is more of a lounge-type venue. Apparantly, the locals know of yet another 2-level club that is frequented after the other two until the wee hours of the morning.
We also took a day trip to Cozumel which is an island reachable by ferry from Playa Del Carmen. We went on a snorkling adventure in the Carribean Sea and saw some interesting sea life. Be aware that 'glass bottomed ' only refers to a small portion of the boat! On another day, we took an adventure tour full of zip trecking, snorking in a cave and visiting Mayan ruins at Tulum. All of these activities were accompished by my 74 year old mother as well-it was quite a day!!!
Okay, so the bottom line is the Myakoba is a worthwhile destination if you don't mind being treated extremely well. If you want a crowded beach, give it a few years for the hotel's popularity to catch on, which it no doubt will. If you are fine with fewer
people, enjoy this blissful setting.
Do take your bug spray wherever you go because you would not want to be without it when the sun goes down. I hope this helps you with your decision!

Beautiful Ecological Experience

by TripAdvisor Member debfromsandiego

The property is exquisite...you come to a dead stop and feel the Mayan influence immediately. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated using natural wood and stone. The bathroom has a huge window looking into a garden filled with very large elephant ears phyllodendrums (sp). To get around the resort you can either use the golf carts which run every 5 minutes or use one of the many bikes which are made available to the guests. The beach is very nice with large chaisse lounges and an attentive staff. The pools are expansive and cover a huge area and one in particular is a vanishing pool overlooking the mangrove forests. We loved our stay and would stay again except for there are so many other places in the world we'd like to see and so little time. For those seeking a quiet and relaxing experience, this is the place. There was no night life and dining at the resort is limited in that dinner is a formal expereince in all the restaurants. The drive to town is about $15.00 way and takes about 15 minutes. We only wish there was more to do especially after the 4 or 5th day. I understand from the staff, who are educated and friendly that the there are plans for the future to provide more activities. Overall, we loved the property and would recommend it.

Jellyfish, Playa del Carmen, MexicoJellyfish, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Sunrise at Playa del Carmen, MexicoSunrise at Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Travel to Sandos Caracol Beach Resort, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

by Leslie1209

Please advise condition of hotel and area after Hurricane Wilma, very interested to know how it fared. Any photos or first hand advice would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Travel to Sandos Caracol Beach Resort, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

by LotusV8

Im in Playa right now and its absolutely perfect, we just had a wonderful meal at a restaurant, big discounts in the shops and so on, the beaches is alright - go for it. Playa isnt that damaged as the magazines or TV shows, they are looking for the worst pics (as usual), You will be surprized, its so beautiful here.

Restaurants

by melrag

What are some great restuarants to eat at in Playa?

by nospam

Try Club Alux, pronounced Ah Loosh, on Juarez Avenue 3 blocks west of highway 307. It is in a cave (really), just Google it. Live music at night with an adjoining restaurant. It is suppose to be very cool, er, hip.

by Bursland

I have just returned from Playa Del Carmen and although I didn't eat at any of the restaurants there as our hotel was all inclusive on 5th avenue ther did seem to be a load of places to eat and they all looked good.Also there appeared to be a number of local people eating in them which is always a good sign .The Blue Parrot was always advertising using a plane hauled sign and that looked like a fun place ,but again that was only from outside.Hope you find somewhere good ,we had a great time.

by TeamLunaBlue

We have a list of some of our favorite (and not so favorite) PDC restaurants on our blog, PlayaZone: http://playazone.wordpress.com/category/dining-in-playa/. These are just some of the many great places to eat in Playa del Carmen. Have fun!

Tony & Cheri
Luna Blue Hotel & Garden
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Beach question (Riu Maya Riviera)

by fulanito_uk

I will be going to Rui Maya Riviera Resort in Playa del Carmen Mexico, in just about a week. I would like to know are there any nice deserted beaches, (I understand due to the date there may be many tourists there) I would like to find so empty beaches to take some photos. Does most of the beaches belong to private resorts making walking them hard? I have never been before so any info about the beaches or indeed about playa del Carmen would be great!

Re: Beach question (Riu Maya Riviera)

by nospam

Hi
I sent you an email as my response to your question is really long. There are many photo opportunities for beach shots there, have a blast.

Re: Beach question (Riu Maya Riviera)

by ermintrude_moo

I'd recommend you go further south for deserted beaches. There's a lovely one off the Highway 307 towards Tulum called Xcacel - an important protected turtle nesting area. Beyond that, keep going to Tulum and make a left at the crossroads by the supermarket San Francisco. Keep heading straight down that road (don't turn off left towards the ruins at Eurostars Blue hotel - bear right) and the beach stretch is gorgeous and quiet from Maya Tulum hotel onwards. If you keep going you'll eventually get to Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve ("Where the Sky is Born" in Maya) and there you'll find the most deserted beaches of all - beautiful! Sadly though there's lots of trash that washes in and since there aren't many hotels, nobody cleans it which is a crying shame. Still stunning though.

Comments