The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

Costs 79% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

There's plenty on...

by Sandrine77

There's plenty on Accommodations of all kind in the whole country. Accommodations are very very expensive on the Mayan Riviera in winter.

Still Grand despite Hurricaine

Grand Mayan – Riviera Mayan (Cancun)

Our Family has just returned (March 2006) from another terrific Mexican Grand Mayan Holiday.
Please refer to a previous posting about the Nuevo Vallarta Grand Mayan, on the Nuevo Vallarta site of Trip advisor.

Overall, we had a great time, and my 3 and 5-year-old girls would have no complaints whatsoever. In the past, we have also been to the Acapulco location as well, and I will try to compare and contrast our experiences for you.

Comparing Mayans:

We have been to the MP in Acapulco in March 2004, the GM Mayan Riviera Nov 2004 and the GM Nuevo Vallarta Nov 2005.

Only Acapulco and Nuevo have Aqua parks, although the one in Nuevo is exclusively for GM guests, whereas the one in Acapulco is open to all guests. Nuevo’s has a huge waterslide, 2 huge wave pools and an awesome lazy river but the small children’s slide area is a bit sparse, compared to the one in Acapulco. Smaller kids (3-6) would probably prefer Acapulco in my opinion. They will eventually have an aqua park in Cancun as well, but the Hurricane has delayed that for the time being. It will be about 2-3 years before the resort is finished.

Beaches:
The west coast beaches are dark sand, and thus get very hot during the day. The Cancun beach sand is beautiful and white, but the entry into the water is very rocky, and you definitely need to have water shoes. They have organized a man-made breakwater 100 yards offshore with the idea that eventually, the rocky entry will be covered with sand, but I will believe it when I see it. You can walk 500 meters south, and you will find a beautiful beach that you can swim in. The water is beautifully clear in Cancun. On the west coast, the tides tend to be very rough, and therefore swimming, much tougher. On the other hand, the beach on the West coast is very expansive, and great for running on or playing various beach games. This time we noticed that the sand on the beach in Cancun was dirty and we found several pieces of glass. I think that this was due to the damage from the hurricane, and the staff is aware of this.

Restaurants:

The food was very average in Acapulco (2004), much better in Nuevo and Cancun.
Golf Courses

Acapulco and Nuevo both have regulation 18 hole courses, while the Cancun property has a Nicklaus 18 hole par three course, which is very challenging. All are very good.

Gym & Spa Facilities

Brio is the name that is given to their work out facilities. They are all very well equipped, although, I can’t recall the Acapulco property one. The Cancun facility is superb, and would rival your best private club gym in any major city (Granite or Cricket Clubs in Toronto). The top floor has the main workout facilities as well as a health food “snack bar” which makes excellent smoothies and salads among other tasty things. There are separate rooms with treadmills, another for spinning, another for Pilates/Yoga, and then the main room with Precor exercise machines. One floor below is the spa facilities, which include separate male/female Jacuzzis, steam saunas, hot saunas, and a Swedish shower. There are also full service massage and body treatment options at all locations. All in all, this is first class.

Specific to the (Cancun) Mayan Riviera property:

Airport transfers

Airport to Mayan:
I called the concierge (011-52-984-206-4000) before leaving Toronto to arrange pickup. They charge $15 US per person, although when I asked, they stated that kids <4 are free, and between 4-12 are $7US. This is a good deal, and very easy. Someone waits for you with your name on a board, and there is no hassle. This is a shuttle that usually fits up to 8 people. I strongly suggest calling vs. emailing them [--------------] , as their replies to email is still slow. The cost is added to your room, and therefore all you need is a couple of $ for a tip. This part is headache free.
A private taxi would cost you $55US, and similar shuttles that you would arrange on site after arriving will cost you more, $15 per adult and $12 per child.

Return to Airport:

This really depends on how many people are in your group. There are pre-determined flat rates to and from the airport, although leaving from the airport is always more expensive, in most places in Mexico. The taxi rate was $27 US. You don’t need to pre-book, and it was very smooth. If you use the Mayan’s shuttle service, it will cost you the same as what you paid to get from the airport.

Food Shopping:

There is a very rudimentary small store on site where you can buy some staples, and this might be perfectly adequate for some, but for small families with kids, it might be most cost effective to go into Playa de Carmen. There is a brand new huge grocery store called “Mega”, which has everything you might need. It is just down the street from Wal-Mart, so you can choose. We took a cab to the Mega from the highway in front of the Mayan for $10 (It costs more if you take the cab from the front desk at the Mayan, so take the free shuttle to the front of the complex and walk across the highway). The cab home from Mega to our building in the Grand Mayan was $16 US.

Restaurants:

There are 3 choices (4 if you count the “snack bar “ in the health club).

The Tramonto is labeled as an Italian and Steak House fine-dining experience. It is excellent, and very reasonable. The wine list is good, and relatively cheap.
The poolside Balche is very good as well, obviously more casual, and good value in my opinion. Try the shrimp satay with scallop appetizer! It is located near the children’s activity centre, where they show children’s videos every night, so that your kids will be entertained while you dine.
The buffet restaurant Del Lago by the main lagoon is my least favorite, since I don’t really enjoy buffets. They have a different theme every night along with a show. I would recommend the Mexican fiestas, which are held on the Tuesday and Thursday nights.
The room service is also very efficient, although the food is not that warm by the time it gets to you. We ordered pizza on one occasion, which was very good.
Hurricane Wilma has destroyed the beachfront TumTah restaurant in Cancun and they are in the midst of re-building it.
The Snack bar in the Brio health Club has a limited selection, but the quality is excellent. They make excellent smoothies, a couple of superb salads, and basic wrap sandwiches.

Kitchenettes in the Grand Mayan:

Although they look great, they are somewhat sparsely equipped. There is neither a dishwasher nor oven. There is a good microwave and a stovetop with 4 slow electric burners.
There were no wine glasses in our unit, but when we asked, we got them. The cooking knives are dull, and they could use larger strainers and bowl. These are relatively small deficiencies in the big picture.

The daily maid service and nightly turndown service are excellent and a big help.

Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Sincerely

Charles Knapp

Really Grand??

by TripAdvisor Member mtofell

This is the third Mexican Resort I have stayed at in the last few years and unfotunately, The Grand Mayan was not near as enjoyable as the others. The following are my high and low lights from the week I spent there.

The property is way, way, way too spread out. Our building was actually fairly close to the pool in comparison to most of the others. That being said, it was well over a quarter mile walk. The restuaruants/bars, gift shop, etc. were all similar distances. The on-site transportation advertised is a joke. We could actually see it go by our room so I know just how infrequently it runs. If you stay here, you'd better bring your walking shoes.

The house keeping was wonderful. They exceeded our expectations throughout the entire stay. I don't know how this resort has managed to get so many quality people but they better hang to them.

The room itself, at the Grand Mayan (the newer, high end rooms at the resort) was very nice and modern. The decor was great and the layout of the room was nice. The only complaint is that the single bathroom for a room of this size was a bit inconvenient. This room is setup to hold up to 6 people. I can't imagine 6 people sharing the same bathroom.

The view from the room (and from most of the rooms it appears) is awful. If no one told you the ocean was nearby you'd miss it. The gravel employee parking lot has a better view than the rooms. We were on a lower floor and had a view of a grassy hill and a service road. This is compared to the ocean view at the previous places I stayed.

The pool was way way too hot to be enjoyable. I'm sure they're aware of this being that there is no hot tub on the property. All kidding aside, I don't usually shower in water as warm as the pool is.

The food was hit and miss and overall nothing special. The pool snack bar was for the most part good. The buffet rotates each night and we had it during an asian food theme. It was pretty marginal, at best. The room service pizza was good. The drinks were weak and expensive throughout the resort.

The on-site mini-mart was handy but minimal and outrageously expensive.

There was ongoing construction that was a bit of a hassle to walk around but not really all that bad. What I can't figure is why they are building more stuff farther and farther away from the beach.

The gym facility was actually really nice but is an extra cost which seems a bit much after how much you pay to get there in the first place.

The laundry facility is handy but at $8 a load is outrageously expensive. Again, with how much it costs to get there, was a bit tough to swallow.

Overall, it's Mexico. So, the weather is nice and it's vacation. That being said, I wouldn't dream of going back to this resort. From the places I have seen before, this place isn't even in the same league.

The Grand was GRAND!

We enjoyed a week at the Grand Mayan the end of March. The room (in the Grand, bldg. #2) was the nicest that have had while vacationing in Mexico. The drawback was the location of the rooms, so far from the pool/beach area. Sure, the exercise and the scenery is all good. We just prefer when we are on a vacation to be able to look out the window or step onto the balcony and view the ocean and pool area. We were on vacation for the first time without our son (now a college student), who has been his sisters traveling companion. The first trip to the beach/pool area, we wished we had brought our walkie talkies along so that we could keep in touch (too bad the cell phones don't work down there!). It seemed a little uncomfortable at first to not have our daughter in site in such a large area. It didn't take long and she made some nice friends that we felt she was safe with and it wasn't long until we felt like we were getting to know the place and seeing people over and over again. Then, when we got home we found out some neighbors of ours were vacationing there also and we never ran into them once! The beach was rocky, however that didn't bother us too much as we don't usually spend too much time swimming in the ocean. The Italian resturant was excellent! The pool bars and pool snack bars were also very good. The first day we got there we took a trip into Playa Del Carmen and walked around and got some groceries (Wal Mart seemed to be the best place for that). We didn't leave the hotel again until we left for the airport...guess we enjoyed it there! However, next time we would prefer a place that we could look out over the pool and ocean.

Very nice resort!

by TripAdvisor Member JeffN

The following is a review from a trip taken from May 28 through June 4 2005. This is from the perspective of a group of 5 of us between 30 and 33 (2 couples that are dating and a single girl). We were looking for a relaxing week, but also some golf, fun, drinking, etc.

Positives
•Staff was very nice and helpful 99% of the time
•Pool was nice and the biggest one we’ve ever seen
•Prices for room service and Balche (casual restaurant at pool) were very reasonable
•Room was VERY nice. We stayed in the Grand Mayan. About 1/3 of the complex is Grand Mayan, the rest is Mayan Palace. Grand Mayan is the much nicer section.
•Pool has a large entertainment staff that holds activities all day such as water polo, drinking contests, water aerobics, water volleyball, etc. Even if you don’t participate, it’s still fun to watch.
•Senor Frogs in Playa was a very fun place. The resort offered a group outing to there one night that included a van ride there and back and unlimited drinks for 3 hours for about $35. Well worth it. The whole staff there makes sure that everyone has a great night.
•In Cancun, if you want a nice meal, Lorenzillo’s is a very nice seafood restaurant. Kind of pricey, but you sit on a deck hanging over the water. Great food and great service. It’s close to the bars and clubs of Cancun too.
•Also in Cancun, Coco Bongo was a very fun bar/club. We paid $45/person to get in, but that included open bar for beer and lower quality liquor/mixers. This bar plays fun music (not techno) and has shows occurring all night. The shows are amazing and include mock music videos where they would play a song (like Ice, Ice Baby, Beetlejuice song, etc) and a look alike and many backup dancers would re-enact the video. A few of them involved Cirque de Soleil circus acts that would all happen above you. Very amazing stuff.
•They gym and spa are very nice, and the locker rooms are country club quality. If you’re staying at the Grand Mayan, the gym is free, it’s $10/day for Mayan Palace guests.
•Decent place for all ages. Not a huge party scene, but not boring either. There were some kids, but not an annoying number of them

Negatives
•Many reviews mention going to Aluxe (??), the cave restaurant in Playa. We thought it was overrated. Cool atmosphere, but we were about the only ones there (on a Sat. night) and the food was average and the service was horrible.
•We paid $35 for the resorts snorkeling expedition. But, it wasn’t really worth it. Decent snorkeling. It includes “free drinks” too, but that ended up being about one beer each.
•To leave the resort is kind of a pain. You must shuttle to the front gate, then wait for a bus going to either Playa or Cancun, or take a taxi. Taxis have a set rate of $17 to Playa and $35 to Cancun. Vans are like $2.
•There are 2 bedrooms, and each has one king bed. We were hoping for 2 queens in one, but they couldn’t do that. Each bedroom has a couch that could be slept on, and the family room has 2 futon like things.
•There’s not a ton of options for restaurants on the resort. One is a fancy Italian restaurant (we didn’t try this one), Balche – casual restaurant at pool that gets nicer for dinner and has some very good food. Tramondo – Buffet each night. We went to the Mexican buffet on Thurs night (they make a huge deal about this one). It cost $45/person and has entertainment, but we thought it was a letdown.

Misc Tips
•No need to rent a car unless you plan on making many trips to Playa del Carmen (20 mins away) or Cancun (40 mins away) for shopping. Most of our trips involved eating/drinking, so we wouldn’t have been able to drive at those times anyways (didn’t want a DUI in a foreign country)
•We had reserved a rental car through Orbitz. Supposedly, the total cost was about $160 for the week. When we got to their offices, they tried to trick us by putting the bill in pesos. We realized that it converted to about $260 and then they told us that there’s a mandatory $12/day insurance charge that you HAVE to take. We ended up backing out of it because of that.
•Take a taxi (or drive) into Playa to Walmart or Mega (Mexican Target) to stock up on food/drinks.
•The lower the building number you’re in, the better. The higher the number, the further from the pool/restaurants/gift shop. We were in building 4, which was about ¼ mile away. Building 20 or so is the farthest and that’s probably ¾ mile away from the pool.
•To get a “cabana” at the pool you have to get there early. It wasn’t as bad as we had heard (5:30 am), but we still had to get there by 7:30 or so. It’s key to have one, especially if you burn the first day like most people do.
•Taxis will only take 4 people at a time. We had 5 people, and a few times had to split up, or bribe the taxis
•Stores stop selling alcohol at 5:00 on Sundays. We got told this at 4:55 by a taxi driver and luckily made it to a store.
•We heard about getting hassled by time share people, but we never got asked even once. But, we heard you get $100 and 15% off your total bill for the tour, so it may be worth a few hours one day.
•They were accurate on our bill at the end of the week as far as billing us only for stuff we bought. The resort is “cash-less” so everything you get, you say your room # and they just have you sign.
•Arrange an airport shuttle through the resort to get there from the airport.
•You can pretty much always use US dollars to pay for things. Sometimes, people will try to pay you back in pesos or a mix of pesos and dollars. While doing this, they’ll try to rip you off. Know the exchange rate (11 pesos = $1 when we went), so that this won’t happen.
•American snacks (i.e. Doritos) are not cheap in the gift shop. It was $7/bag, while their Mexican equal were like $2.
•The golf course at the resort is a par 54 (all par 3s). Looks to be in great condition and very challenging, but I didn’t play it. I heard it was $120 to play, but heard later in the week that it only cost $65? May be worth playing. I did play at PlayaCar resort in Playa del Carmen. It cost $170 or $120 after 1:00 (twilight), which is what I did. The course was VERY nice. In great shape, all the employees were nice/helpful. Pretty tough/narrow course. I usually shoot around 95, yet I shot 110 here and lost about 15 balls. But, extremely nice/fun round. Plus, we saw a few giant lizards, as well as some cool looking/exotic animals that we had never seen before (later found out one was a coatimundi?). The $120 included a van picking up and driving back, the round, the cart, and free food/drinks while golfing. We’d see the beer cart guy every 2 holes and he’s stock us up on sandwiches, chips, beer every time.

Mayan Riviera

by travelgirl3

"Barcelo Maya Beach Hotel"

What a fabulous resort! We visited in 2000, and loved it so much, we went back again in '01. The second time, my Aunt from Scottsdale joined us. I hadn't seen her in several years, so my eldest son and I waited up til 11pm our first night to greet her - what a joy!!

The resort was beautiful. It had just opened late in '99, so I'm sure the landscaping has matured nicely since then. At that time, there were no other resorts left or right, although I understand the Xpu-ha Palace has now opened to the south. But no worries, the beach goes on and on, with few tourists, due to its secluded position.

Heavenly!

"The Ruins at Tulum"

A 30 minute drive south of the resort brings you to the ancient ruins at Tulum. Make sure you go early, before it gets too hot, and before the busloads of tourists arrive. My advice is to hire a guide. For about $20 the guide will walk you around, give you the history, and answer all your questions.

Tulum is situated right on the ocean, and the views are stunning. The contrast between the ancient grey limestone buildings, pinkish sand beach and the turquoise sea will take your breath away. After your tour, make sure to go for a swim.

"Other Things to do"

On your way back from Tulum, stop in Akumal, and visit 'La Buena Vida'. Its a funky little restaurant right on the beach, and no kidding, you expect Jimmy Buffett to show up any minute! Very cool and great photo-op.

Back at the resort, a short walk across the highway brings you to Kantun Chi, a small park with 5 or 6 cenotes, or sinkholes. The admission is only around $8, and you can wander around and even go in swimming or snorkelling.

Christmas at the Mayan Riviera

by Hermanater

"Beautiful beaches......."

I really hate to say this but from the first step past customs until the moment we left, we hated this part of mexico. No stop hassles from the locals and (I know people will get upset but) arrogant IDIOTIC AMERICANS

1). We witnessed a father from Michigan (overheard him talking) ordering drinks for his kids and himself at the pool bar. As soon as he got it he dumped it on his 3 year old's head and laughed. He then then asked for another. The father and three kids basically had a food fight (with drinks) in the pool.
2) The same father later was throwing french fries at his kids in the pool.
3) We put towels on a beach chair (4 chairs since 4 of us). We came back 20 minutes later. This was 7:00 am and there were many empty chairs. Someone had the nerve to put their stuff on top of ours. They didn't move our stuff but put theirs on top. I put their stuff at the chair beside us knowing full well it was also their stuff and then sat down. We were accused of taking their chair. They then accused us of taking their towels and sunscreen. They kept looking through our stuff trying to find it. One of them said out loud, forget it, I just went to another chair and stole towels and sunscreen.
4) Had a towel on a chair 4 feet infront of us. Someone from Illinois (heard them talking) grabbed our towel. When confronted, they denied taking it. We got charged $40 by the hotel for a lost towel. The same people that threw all their garbage on the beach even though a garbage can was about 20 feet away....

On the bright side we meet a very nice lady and her cousin from Pittsburg.

...YUCATAN and MAYAN RIVIERA ....

by pedroebc

www.caribemexicano.gob.mx

LOOK http://caribemexicano.qroo.gob.mx/

"History in general.."

...theory is true , in the old times one metheorite fell in Yucatan and create a crater of hundreds of kilometers.. the crater is in open sea..
the zone of Yucatan is an amazing jewel of Mexico, this state includes the MUNDO MAYA (Mayan World) with other states as Tabasco, Campeche, Quintana Roo, Chiapas, ....Guatemala and Honduras.

The history says ..in this land the first spanish arrive to Mexico by accident, they were searching a ship and their tripulation that naugrague to that area... the persons who survived , 2 spanish, one helped the indians of the region to develop their economies and share knowledge, and the other spanish was founded and helped as translator to the spanish , this one came back with the spanish army and the other stayed with the indians.

The Yucatan peninsula is mix of nature, history, culture, people, and amazing beaches.
I this area the french inmigrate and bult the enequen industry, the african slaves were brought for the hard works in the haciendas, the mayan people start to mix with this people . the region had a lot of variety of people.

The MAYAS lived and create rutes of trade using the Sac be (sacred rute), they were masters of astrology, they invent the CERO with religious and mathematics use.
The zone have one of the most importants pyramids in Mexico and worldwide, the Chichen Itza and Ruta Puuc pyramids its an example.

its cheaper to rent a car in Merida, then explore the small towns around, you wont forget it... traveling to HACIENDA (big old colonial houses), also visiting pyramids , the beach , etc..

In Yucatan you can see amazing rose flamingos reserve in CELESTUN you can admire nice harbor in PROGRESO, an amazing yellow colorful city in IZAMAL, admire the great gold you can get in VALLADOLID.
CHICHEN ITZA piramids (worldwide wonderful), CENOTES (try Tzinup).

For food in Yucatan state I recomend totally lime soup , panuchos, and chicken at lime.... yummmii

Riviera Maya or Mayan Riviera that going from Cancun to Tulum.
Dont forget to visit Punta Allen and Holbox island...

ENJOY_YUCATAN

Is you want to snorkel and dive, and do not have to much time just go to XCARET is a nice park that have all the services, and there is a really nice Mexico show of dancing and music at night. the price is not so cheap but you can spend full day there.
Some people is concerned about MALARIA in the yucatan area but I can say just appear in certain parts of the rainforest in the months of september and october, but authorities inform all the time.
Most of Yucatan is safe and possible to visit.

Topless is permited in some beaches at CARIBBEAN, most of the beaches you see that and no problem.
Ironman trihatlon is celebrated there, jazz festival also...

mayan room in antropology museum in mexico city ITS REOPENED.....
the best mayan museum is located in Chetumal, Quintana Roo(mexico)

The rute PUUC near merida city is a nice rute of special mayan architecture like Uxmal, Labna, kabah, loltun, etc.

"www.yucatan.gob.mx, www.qr.gob.mx"

the rainy seasson in the area is from the month of September and October, tropical storms are in the area since El Nino weather changing.

You can find good spots for diving in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Tulum. You have a fast course of diving and you can do it, even when you dont have the dive international licence.

the buses between Merida city and Cancun run every 20 minutes, there are buses running all day from different destinations.
Buses from Cancun airport from/to Playa del Carmen run each 40 minutes.

in the city of MERIDA you can find all budget acomodations now bunch of hostels in the city, from there you connect by bus going to cancun area or in Valladolid city connect bus direction to Tulum skipping cancun.

You can rent a car , and enjoy all you can !! good highways there and please dont drink beer driving otherwise police will catch you.

hostels in CANCUN
Soberanis hostel, weavery traveler , blue hostel, nest hostel, tulum hostel

**in MERIDA **

www.vazquezfotos.com
www.hostelito.com HOSTEL IN COZUMEL
hainahostal.com
hostelmirage.com

From Cancun to Chetumal, there are buses and van trucks that run all time from/ to any place, you can find this white new trucks in highway or in town with good air conditioner. Taxis and rent cars is possible.

"Isla Mujeres"

This island have a nice beaches easy to reach walking, quiet streets, and few bars for that ones that one to chill.
The place was damaged before with the huracaine Willma but now is recovered again.
You can reach the island from Cancun, there is a ferry terminal called PUNTA SAM, there each 30 minutes starting 6 am the ferry goes from Cancun to Isla Mujeres.

Avalable acomodation all budgets in the place, cheap food and 2x1 drinks in happy hour... in mercado there have good fish nice size with rice and beans..

Ferrys/ ships to/ from cancun/ isla mujeres
ULTRAMAR ferrys goes each 30 minutes from 6 am to 11 pm

01 998 886 0070

www.mundojoven.com.mx TRAVEL AGENCIE
www.asatej.org

"Tulum"

here is one of the best pictures of Mexico, the blue sea recive in land the ancient ruins of Tulum, near there the great white beaches of Tulum have bunwalogs and acomodation , also in town you find.

South Tulum you will find Chetumal, Majahual, Xcalak, Bacalar all these places is worh to stop and see it, they hide amazing nature treasures

Topless,........ is permited as tradition in the beach, I can say in few places is permitted as tradition in Mexico..

Hostels in Tulum
www.ranchotranquilo.com.mx
www.wearytravelerhostel.com
there are 2 more new ones.. infront almost ADO bus stations..

"PLAYA DEL CARMEN"

In case you want to go direct from the airport of Cancun to Playa del Carmen , there are special buses ADO running direct from parking place in Cancun airport to ADO bus station in Playa del Carmen.

The life in Playa del Carmen is nice, exotic, fun, and the best compliments, just expect a town with all acomodations all kind budget, cute people around, shopping , nice beaches, and great party at night.
The party tour is:
Mamitas lounge, Blue Parrot, La Santanera, Bali, mezcalina

www.lasantanera.com
www.mayainplaya.com

Playa del carmen has direct buses to/from the airport of Cancun.
You can take a ferry there to visit Cozumel, this island is a great place with acomodations and do some diving or snorkeling.

Classifieds newspaper

Mayan Riviera, Yuacatan Peninsula, Quintana Roo

by jamesyGimp

"Maroma 90210"

Ahh...smell the Maroma!
Scenic, lush, and currently a disaster area, thanks to Hurricane Emily this past summer, Maroma is slated to re-open in Fall of 2005.
--UPDATED FALL 2005--...make that re-opening Winter 2006.
Wilma Strikes!!
(how can those little feet do so much damage???)

"Pass the poi..."

Rich folks love this place... which scars it a bit towards the pretentious side. But by-and-large they leave you alone! ("Back, Thurston, Back!")

Sean Penn and Robin Wright Penn were staying here while we were on our honeymoon. That Sean Penn... What a crack-up!

While we didn't get to party with Sean and Robin, I learned that their 11 year old son Hopper Jack (that's "Hopper"...like in...toilet) has a thing for gambling websites. There he was gamblin away all his dad's hard-earned Ridgemont High money.

"reefer hut"

no kidding, I took this one! :)

As you can see it was taken at night. You might have noticed that Maroma doesn't seem to have many people hanging around. That's because it doesn't have many people hanging around. So if its nightlife you crave this aint your kinda place.

On the other hand. Maroma is all about r-e-l-a-x-a-t-i-o-n. Ahhhhhhhh.

It is a spa, you see.

So if Temezcal massages with Essence of Fortescue, Brussels Lace and Mayan Beetle Dung are your gig, they will be happy to charge you a nominal fee to rub that crap all over your face. ....I'll be over at the bar. (Which closes early by the way, so bring to-go cups.)

A PERFECT VACATION IN THE MAYAN RIVIERA

by Frisbeeace

" Winter at the beach? "

This last summer (your winter, northern hemisphere inhabitants) I decided to skip my traditional holidays at the beautiful beaches of Punta del Este in Uruguay to taste the famous Mayan Riviera for the first time. Most, if not all of the people I met were running away from tons of snow and ice but I was leaving summer at home to spend a week during winter time at the Mexican Caribbean. Kind of odd, isn't it?

" Cancun, Playa or further south? "

After the usual 1,000 + hours of research I arrived to the following conclusions which proved to be accurate.

Cancun has nice beaches but it is more a party place, with huge building type hotels lined up over the ocean one after the other and more American oriented. As you travel south the ambience is more quiet, family oriented and less American with more European guests.

Playa, as most people address this town, is 68 km (42 miles) south of Cancun. Not to many years ago it was a quiet village which lately has doubled twice in population in mainly due to Europeans who prefer its quieter lifestyle, gorgeous beaches, soft surf and coral reefs. The affluence of foreign people provides a singular bohemian traveler ambiance. Certainly the place keeps its own Mexican flavour and offers a good arrangement of gourmet restaurants, lively bars and souvenir shops. May be Playa is not a hidden retreat anymore but a good start point to enjoy great beaches, lively nightlife, archeological sites for families, couples, backpackers and trendy people. The backbone of Playa is the pedestrian-only 5th Avenue, running parallel to the beach, which has many hotels, stores and restaurants. However, I think this is not the best place to pick a hotel. The close Playacar residential area, only a 10’ walk from dowtown, has some of the finest hotels in one of the best beach strips of the Mayan Riviera.

The more expensive island of Cozumel is just in front of Playa, a short ferry trip to discover the best snorkel and diving spot in the world.
If you head further south you’ll find huge hotels located in large properties with miles of semiprivate beach for their guests. The area between Akumal and Tulum is where we chose to stay at, with a perfect combination of white sand and reef, being less crowded and surrounded by many interesting areas to explore and visit.

JumpingOLGA, VTer Olgaehr, Mayan RivieraJumpingOLGA, VTer Olgaehr, Mayan Riviera

Sofi and me in a hidden streetSofi and me in a hidden street

Playa del CarmenPlaya del Carmen

the tiny ship was tossedthe tiny ship was tossed

Mayan Riviera

by Cal_Al

Hi, I just booked a 7 day all inclusive package in Tulum for the first week in July. I know that this is considered the "rainy" season. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how rainy it is at this time of the year. Are we talking torrential rain daily or just short bouts of rain during the day? Anyone visited at this time of the year before?
Thanks in advance! Al

by yvr

You booked during Hurricane season and with a hurricane you get rain.

by pwlewis

Usually short bouts in late afternoon or at night.

by Gatopardo

Have you ever heard of the afternoon +/- 1 hr downpour?
Well, the way I will describe it is simple. It may be a very nice morning, then in the afternoon somehow gets cloudy and suddenly it rains, it doesn't really last all day long and it feels so good and it cools down enough to ease the humidity after the shower. Then, you can head out again.
If it's too much up there in the sky, well, you may consider buying a good wine and spend the afternoon indoors or get a good and relaxed day off.

by Laura_Mexico

Yes, I've been there. It's hurricane season so yes it is rainy. It does rain almost everyday but not all day long. As gatopardo said, it's usually a downpour in the afternoon but then it's over. Sometimes it could rain at night too and maybe it could be cloudy in the morning.... but nothing that will ruin your vacation.

by ViajesdelMundo

Up here at the opposite side and other end of Mexico, we just got our first rain via a tropical storm today!!---which is at very least 6-8 weeks EARLY! makes me wonder what the hurricane season is going to be like this year, especially as I am expecting to be here-- OH NO!

Seas are pretty rough and the winds have been picking up all afternoon, so our little boat is really bobbing; sometimes I can't even see it!

Mayan Riviera in February

by pauleast

Hi everyone, what is the weather likely to be like in mid February on the Playa Del Varmen area.
Are the evenings still likely to be cool?

Thanks

Paul

Re: Mayan Riviera in February

by cachaseiro

i was there last december and the evenings were fantastic.
i think you wont need to worry too much.

Re: Mayan Riviera in February

by Ronald_T

I believe you need info about Playa Del Carmen, instead of Playa Del Varmen ;-)

I was in Cancun (what is near) in February 2002 and be sure it was hot. Maybe you will be happy that for some fresh wind in the evening. At least, with me the evenings there were still warm...

Re: Re: Mayan Riviera in February

by rachel_sun

I went to Cancun in 2001, begining of march and evenings were warm , but not humid, sticky,,,,warm enough for short sleeved t-shirt..

Re: Re: Mayan Riviera in February

by pauleast

Thanks everyone!

Luggage storage at Xcaret water park (Mayan Riviera, Xcaret, Mexico)

by sashanyc28

Does anyone know if there is any sort of luggage storage facility at the Xcaret water park?

We were hoping to check out of our Cabana in Tulum in the morning.. then drive up to Xcaret and spend the day there and then drive onwards to Cancun arriving in the evening staying one night and then catching our flight back home the next morning.. but it probably wouldn't be safe to leave our luggage in the trunk (boot) of the car while we spend the day at this water park.. Surely they must have some sort of lockers or luggage storage facility... Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks / gracias !

Re: Luggage storage at Xcaret water park (Mayan Riviera, Xcaret, Mexico)

by Dabs

There are lockers there but I remember them being the size they are in the attached photo, so not big enough for luggage. At the very least you could bring that stuff that you can't lose (ie passports, money, camera, etc) and put that in a locker and then just make sure the rest of your luggage is out of sight in the trunk of your car.

Re: Luggage storage at Xcaret water park (Mayan Riviera, Xcaret, Mexico)

by om_212

you have brought our luggage with us to the park and left it in the locker area without any problem (we didn't have a car), but I am sure that your luggage would be safe in the trunk of your car. as for Xcaret water park, we found it extremely touristy and not worth spending money we paid. but it all depends what things you like to do. enjoy your trip to Mexico, Olya

Comments