The Royal Playa del Carmen

See Amenities

Lighten Up

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 19, 2015

I see many reviews indicating the residents are rude, disrespectful, etc....name it. I have to set the record straight. First, judge yourself before judging others...as the impression you get of them is typically in response to your own actions/persona. I am retired 29 USCG, trust me, I've been around...especially the Caribbean, Yucatan, Colombia, etc. Now, I travel for pleasure. My "pleasure" trips to the Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and the like have been nothing but ecstatic! I love the history, the culture, the whole environment...and therefore, I show "interest"! I am always accommodated beyond expectations; I am outgoing and do not mind sharing stories insofar as culture and whatnot with the locals. I wouldn't dare walk into downtown Detroit and try this method!!!! Or several US cities for that matter. If you walk around and gaze at the locals as if you're in a zoo....what would you expect. They're human, YOU are their livelihood! I know we have bad apples in every bunch, okay. But in all honesty...nothing but positive things to say from my end! Go, enjoy, and go again....you will love it! Keep your Atlantic City Five Star expectations at home...you're going to Mexico!!!!

Please read my reivew...be cautious

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 27, 2012

The Royal Resort in Playa del Carmen is great for weddings...absolutely terrible for your guests. I can say if you are the bride and groom you recieve excellent treatment. We invited 24 guests come to the Royal and most if not all recieved 2nd or 3rd class treatment just because they didn't purchase a $2,000 wedding package. The worst moment of the trip involved my own Grandparents whom are both in their 80's being turned away from a restaurant we were all eating at the resort...they were guests at the resort just like everyone attending. Everyone had different wristbands, different room arrangements within the same room class, and even from the beginning it took most of my guests 2+ hours to check in and some reservations were cancelled which involved nearly a day of wasted vacation until they recieved their reserved rooms.
When booking and planning a wedding through their travel consultants. I was completely mislead about details, costs, extra costs...and basically all details including how I would get to the resort. What price you recieve for either your stay or wedding, add another $1,000-$2,000 in extras you will either incur during your stay or your guests.
If the Royal representatives would like to contact me about this (and finally address my concernt which were not addressed my wedding code was RRW70386031

Just got back, MAYBE we'll go back.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 27, 2012

Just note that Ocean view rooms really mean you could get a glimpse of the ocean or you might be able to view the ocean. Ocean FRONT gives you a view of the ocean.

Got to our room (Junior Suite Ocean View) which was very nice and clean. Looked outside and had a view of the dive pool, and a bunch of propane tanks on the near-by roof; if we leaned over a bit on the balcony we caught a glimpse of the ocean. ugh. Our luggage did not follow us, we think it went to a different room.

Went to the lobby to complain and was offered a room facing the street! It was spring break so there wasn't anything available. We settled on spending 2 nights in our "ocean view" room and paid extra to upgrade to an ocean front room (Room 637) where we spent the last 3 nights.

The two nights in our "ocean view" we asked for beer and never got it and our bed didn't get made until about 2:30 on both days. (We were asked a time and requested 10-12). The pillows we requested were wrong (they request that too). We didn't let these things bug us, but thought they shouldn't ask if they can't follow through with the requests.

The three nights in our "ocean front" room was better! Identical room, better service, better location, and quiet. We had a private bed outside, and walked right out onto the beach. The room got cleaned later than requested, but we blew it off.

We know it was spring break, but for what we paid we've had better. We were celebrating our 20th wedding Anniversary so we wanted something nice. Not saying we wouldn't go back, but it won't be our first choice.

Unique Quality: - You do not have to bring anything with you. They have sunscreen & reading material by the pool.
- They supply hand-sanitizer, straightening irons, decent shampoo/conditioner/body-wash in the room.
- Upscale food in all restaurants. Buffet is more casual with a good selection
- Rooms are clean and quiet.
- Beach is nice
- GREAT location

Directions: Next to the pier. Next door to the Gran Porto Real, 2 blocks south of 5th Avenue.

Nearby The Royal Playa del Carmen

• Royal Porto Real
  • Royal Playa De Carmen
  • Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
  • The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen

Address: Avenida Constituyentes No 2 (formerly Royal Porto Real Resort), Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya 77780

Amenities at The Royal Playa del Carmen

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Playa del Carmen Travel Forum

Need advice about Playa del Carmen, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Playa del Carmen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Playa del Carmen hotel reviews

DIY daytrip-Tulum, Akumal, Yalku
Travel from the airport
Ferries to Cozumel
Transportation
Buyers Beware....I was lied to and ripped off
Do not go!
INCREDIBLE!!!
Luxury Snorkel, Fishing, High Dive, Karaoke Tour
Car rental and Driving in Playa del Carmen
Walk along the beach
Portal Mayan bronze sculpture
Parque Fundadores
Things to Do
The main area of tourist activity
Colonial Town Valladolid
Ik Kil Cenote
Chichen Itza
Things to Do
Streets with no name or number
Aero Feninco - Parking