The Royal Playa del Carmen

Avenida Constituyentes No 2 (formerly Royal Porto Real Resort), Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya 77780

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Please read my reivew...be cautious

The Royal Resort in Playa del Carmen is great for weddings...absolutely terrible for your guests. I can say if you are the bride and groom you recieve excellent treatment. We invited 24 guests come to the Royal and most if not all recieved 2nd or 3rd class treatment just because they didn't purchase a $2,000 wedding package. The worst moment of the trip involved my own Grandparents whom are both in their 80's being turned away from a restaurant we were all eating at the resort...they were guests at the resort just like everyone attending. Everyone had different wristbands, different room arrangements within the same room class, and even from the beginning it took most of my guests 2+ hours to check in and some reservations were cancelled which involved nearly a day of wasted vacation until they recieved their reserved rooms.
    When booking and planning a wedding through their travel consultants. I was completely mislead about details, costs, extra costs...and basically all details including how I would get to the resort. What price you recieve for either your stay or wedding, add another $1,000-$2,000 in extras you will either incur during your stay or your guests.
    If the Royal representatives would like to contact me about this (and finally address my concernt which were not addressed my wedding code was RRW70386031

• Just got back, MAYBE we'll go back.

Just note that Ocean view rooms really mean you could get a glimpse of the ocean or you might be able to view the ocean. Ocean FRONT gives you a view of the ocean.

Got to our room (Junior Suite Ocean View) which was very nice and clean. Looked outside and had a view of the dive pool, and a bunch of propane tanks on the near-by roof; if we leaned over a bit on the balcony we caught a glimpse of the ocean. ugh. Our luggage did not follow us, we think it went to a different room.

Went to the lobby to complain and was offered a room facing the street! It was spring break so there wasn't anything available. We settled on spending 2 nights in our "ocean view" room and paid extra to upgrade to an ocean front room (Room 637) where we spent the last 3 nights.

The two nights in our "ocean view" we asked for beer and never got it and our bed didn't get made until about 2:30 on both days. (We were asked a time and requested 10-12). The pillows we requested were wrong (they request that too). We didn't let these things bug us, but thought they shouldn't ask if they can't follow through with the requests.

The three nights in our "ocean front" room was better! Identical room, better service, better location, and quiet. We had a private bed outside, and walked right out onto the beach. The room got cleaned later than requested, but we blew it off.

We know it was spring break, but for what we paid we've had better. We were celebrating our 20th wedding Anniversary so we wanted something nice. Not saying we wouldn't go back, but it won't be our first choice.

Unique Quality: - You do not have to bring anything with you. They have sunscreen & reading material by the pool.
    - They supply hand-sanitizer, straightening irons, decent shampoo/conditioner/body-wash in the room.
    - Upscale food in all restaurants. Buffet is more casual with a good selection
    - Rooms are clean and quiet.
    - Beach is nice
    - GREAT location

Directions: Next to the pier. Next door to the Gran Porto Real, 2 blocks south of 5th Avenue.

More about The Royal Playa del Carmen

Royal Porto Real

by TripAdvisor Member aprilnj

Royal Porto Hotel
I Stayed for 7 Nights from 7-20 thru 7-27 2 Rooms.
This was 2 days post “HURRICANE EMILY” and they really did a great job of cleaning up, some broken windows but by weeks end all was repaired except for still trying to get the 2nd pool with swim up bar cleaned out.

See my pictures when they post

Property- The property is set up very nice with everything no matter where your room is it is close to everything. Fountains, nice walkways, very clean, always picking up landscaping maintaining the beauty.

Pools- They have 2 pools , 1- Very Large you never felt crowded the other was closed due to Emily it was full of sand and debris so the swim up bar was also closed, not there fault though. (see pics)

Rooms- I stayed in rooms 516 & 518 these are Oceanfront 1st Floor Rooms, your literally steps away from beach, pool and beach bar, very convenient (maybe too close to bar, hehe). As said in previous reviews the rooms are absolutely gorgeous the best I have seen in the Rivera Maya area. Marble Floors, Nice size rooms , High ceilings with Ceiling Fans, Jacuzzi’s for 2, Mini Frig, Stocked bar. SShowers are completely marble with handheld shower arm so it makes it easy to wash off all the sand from the beach.
Note- Avoid Rooms 160 thru 186 they have no view except of the new building they are constructing on that side and it can be noisy on that side also. All 5 rooms are Oceanfront, 515, 516 517 etc etc.

Restaurants- We ate mostly at “Spice’s” Buffet International Food) they offered quite a nice variety of food every nite and changed the menu daily, although deserts where always the same for the duration of our stay. Pelican’s was Al a carte food was also good but service a bit slow. Maries Maries (French) Ala carte & Buffet was good also. Asianos was closed due to EMILY so I cannot comment on that.
The 24hr All Inclusive club consisted of pool tables, a stocked bar with beverages to make your own drinks and various snacks, fresh fruit, pastries, cheese etc for which you can partake in anytime of the day or nite.

Spa- The Spa is “open” and is wonderful we used the steam rooms and saunas they have a Women & Men have separate areas, so you can really relax.

Nightclub- This was not open yet, so I cannot comment on this, but with being steps away from 5th Aves many bars/nightclubs it really doesn’t matter. In talking with the Concierge, she informed me there “grand Opening wasn’t for 3 Months? The ever-changing Grand Opening date, I was told it was July 2005 per website…
Timeshares- I was asked 1 time and declined and they did not bother me further, I know people has complained in previous reviews but they did not bother once you said sorry not interested.

Beach- What a Shame, really this is my only gripe, Well it cant all be good, here goes I have been to Mexico/ Mayan Rivera 3 times and unfortunately this was the worst beach and water of the 3. The beach is a good size Ill gives it that, but the sand is not white like in Playacar/ Tulum area.
The water was never that baby blue turquoise color that I expected and adore and travel to Mexico for.
The water is Rocky with LARGE rocks in the water , Note: bring the water shoes if you have kids, and A LOT of seaweed they clean it every morning but it just comes all day. If you walk 2 minutes north to “Public beach” it is much more sandy bottom and clearer & bluer. However, you are paying for beachfront you should not have to walk to public beach to enjoy nice water and be crowded. In addition, on Sundays it’s so busy and crowded on these area of beach tons of people/locals drinking and littering really a shame I never experienced this before in Mexico I guess because of its close proximity to 5th Ave, but that was a MAJOR turnoff. If you got up from your pal papa they would literally go under yours people were nervous there items would be taken and asking others to watch there stuff when they went in the water. There are security for Royal’s beach but I talked with them and they said on Sundays its just too hard too control so many people and they are drinking so they don’t want fights! My advice if you want nicer water/ beach go further south for large beaches and turquoise water, even Cancun has great water but narrower beaches.
70% of the guests were by Pool only 30% at beach.

Staff- Very helpful & friendly, always a smile. The beach waiter service is very good as well as buffet dining waiters.
Would I recommend this Hotel yes, will I go back hmmm Maybe, I am a beach person Questions email me. avl109428@aol.com

Pampered Honeymooners

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Porto Real for our honeymoon, May 16-21, 2005. We had a wonderful experience. The weather was perfect-- a little cloudy on a few days, but it never rained. The resort had so much to offer-- activities throughout the day (from beach volleyball to water aerobics) and entertainment by the pool at night! The activities/entertainment staff is so helpful and friendly.
Our favorite part of the trip was the food. We bought the All-Inclusive package-- it is SO worth it! The service was amazing-- the cabana boys and wait staff were always willing to get you whatever you needed. Drinks by Alex, the poolside bartender, were awesome-- try a Miami Vice! The buffets were very good for lunch and breakfast. Dinners were also impressive-- you have so many restaurants to choose from within the Royal and the Gran across the street. 24-hour room service was used very often, and the staff was very friendly. They give you a room service menu in your room, but they are very accommodating. I ordered many things that were not listed and got whatever I asked for. The best snack was the guacamole-- We could not get enough! We enjoyed it so much, it was hard to leave. I almost cried when the airport shuttle arrived!
We will definitely be returning next year for our anniversary.

Absolutely the best EVER!!

by TripAdvisor Member Punxsey

My boyfriend and I along with my 19 year old son transferred from the Gran Caribe Real in Cancun to the Royal Porto Real. The hotel in Cancun did not have working A/C and we weren't given a double room as we requested. So after spending one night there, the hotel offered to transfer us to their brand new hotel, to promote business. What a difference! I am not an easy person to please but I was elated with the Royal Porto Real.

I left my very expensive digital camera in the cab on the ride from Cancun to Playa del Carmen. Apparently there is only one cab company in Cancun with about 5,000 cabs. I alerted a bellman, Armando, and he made numerous calls back to the Gran Caribe to talk to the Bell Captain and bellmen to alert them to look for my camera. When Armando left, he left instructions with Ramiro regarding the camera. Low and behold, a couple of hours later, my son received a phone call from someone saying that the camera was on its way back. Sure enough, Ramiro drove up in a Real van with my camera (and accessories) in the front seat.

The food at the Spice buffet was wonderful. Their presentation was great! The service was fair depending on who waited on us but it seemed to get better through the week.

Pelicanos was very good too. The filet was awesome. The service was very good.

Asiana was wonderful. The sushi was very good and all the entrees were delcious. The service was great!

The appetizers at Maria's were very good. We were not very impressed by the entrees or the service. The lobster was overcooked and very tough. My steak was not cooked correctly. Both were sent back and the second round was a *little* better.

The lobby bar was excellent! The bartenders were great. German and Victor are excellent bartenders. The server Carla was great, very friendly, quick and absolutely adoreable! Her smile was as big as she is. I can't say enough nice things about the staff at the lobby bar.

The swim up bar is great. Alex, one of the bartenders, was excellent and has a wonderful and entertaining personality.

Our room was very clean and the fridge was well stocked. One small problem is that the fridge is in the TV armoire which didn't allow the proper ventilation to the motor. We found that if we left the armoire door open, the fridge was colder. The A/C worked great. I loved the detail of the room right down to the Mexican pottery and the two person spa tub was wonderful.

We were approached about the 90 minute tour of the facility by Jorge. We knew what we were getting into and chose to go. 90 minutes ended up being 4+ hours but it also had an entertainment factor to it too. Look out for Omar the obnoxious though. He was very arrogant and rude. Clayton was our tour guide and he was very, very nice and knowledgeable. We declined buying into their vacation plan and were approached a couple of times but simply said that we had already gone on the tour. We continued to enjoy our relationship with Jorge and Clayton throughout our stay. Whether we bought or not didn't seem to make a difference. Jorge has a wonderful personality and we enjoyed greeting him daily.

Lisa, the concierge was very helpful and most pleasant. There were no lines to wait in to make a reservation at the restaurants. She was helpful in almost every regard.

The spa and workout areas are beautiful. Unfortunately we just toured the area and did not have a chance to use them as they had just opened.

One thing to keep in mind... if you are 18-20 then Cancun is the place to be to party. Playa del Carmen was great for the more mature folks because it wasn't such a party palace.

We were a bit disappointed that the pool closed at 9 p.m. We thought that it should stay open until 10 p.m.

No, there wasn't a bar menu but the bartenders could make any drink that I could think of. No, there wasn't a room service menu but when I called room service, they too made whatever you wanted. To me, this was small stuff so long as you could get what you wanted or needed and I attributed this to the resort being so new. But because it was new, it was really, really nice.

Also, don't rent a scooter! It's way too dangerous there because of road obstacles such as broken concrete and round speed bumps. My son almost bought the big one on a scooter.

We were all-inclusive but still tipped exceptional staff. Needless to say, there were so many exceptional staff that we tipped quite a bit. All resort personnel seemed happy to get anywhere from $1 - $5. Tipping goes a long way there.

This is by far the most enjoyable vacation we have been on. We attribute this mainly to the very accommodating staff. We were very pleased. It is a beautiful-beyond-belief resort.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. In fact, we are looking into going back next spring. I'm hoping that all the wonderful staff members are still there in the spring. I am looking forward to relaxing, eating, drinking and partying there again very soon.

Amazing!!!

by TripAdvisor Member laur580

My husband and I stayed at the Royal from May 28 through June 3 with our 21 year old son and his girlfriend, our 18 year old daughter and our 11 year old daughter. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on May 31. We were a bit concerned having read the mixed reviews. We were very pleasantly surprised. I don't know where to begin. I'll start with the positive things. First, the food was amazing. The best beef fillet we have ever had at Marias (at the Gran) and at Pelicanos. Also, Il Pescatore at the Gran was very good. Service at all the restaurants top notch. The buffet was also very good. Chicken parmesan, chicken cordon bleu, pasta and a variety of other food--always very good. Service excellent. You could not leave hungry. We ate breakfast there a few times and also at Pelicanos. Breakfast at Pelicanos was very good and with the view of the ocean, it was spectacular. The room was amazing. Pool view. Loved the jacuzzi, balcony. The pool was great. Spent most of the time there. Poolside drink service was the best. Our favorite and most frequent waiters were Chan and Angel (those are their last names). Ocean beautiful. Very warm. Nice being close to 5th avenue for shopping. Didn't eat anywhere there as we did the all inclusive. The only way to go with 5 people able to legally drink. Nobody got sick from the water or the food. The girls did feel a bit ill after a night at a club in town, sponsored by the excellent hotel social staff. There are not a lot of evening activities at the Royal, but the Gran had something every night. I suggest going over there. Very good entertainment. Also the water aerobics at the Royal are fun and they also have beach volleyball. This is a beautiful hotel. Real luxury. The nicest place I have ever stayed.

Now some of the negative things, and I only say these for the benefit of anyone else going there who wants to know everything. None of these things really bothered us. Others may be different. There were workers around the hote and inside the halls working during the week (not on the weekend). There was no real construction noise that we heard. One waiter at Pelicanos in the evening seemed a bit rude. I don't know what it was, he would ask where we were from trying to be friendly, but just did not come across very friendly. Didn't affect the service. We had thought we had a room with a king size bed for myself and my husband, but had one with two double beds. We had to stay in that room for 2 nights and then switched to a king size bed room. That was a bit inconvenient as we did not want to unpack and then repack in a day or two. We also did the thing with the Real staff on buying into a lifetime program. Way out of our league. It was a bad use of time in such a beautiful place, but we got a $100 voucher which we used toward the tour to Tulum. The head guy was very pushy. The trip to Tulum was great, I suggest it. It is very warm there and little shade, so be prepared. We were under the impression there would be swimming at the second half of the Tulum tour, but it was snorkeling. Not really the best for just swimming with the slippery rocks. My 11-year old did not snorkel but loved being in the water with the fish. There should also be a poolside snack bar. Maybe this is going to be at some point in the future. We did use the snack bar at the Gran a couple of days for lunch. Burgers, chicken fingers, fries. Tasted good for a change. It was a bit windy when we were there and the water a bit wavy. But still very warm and refreshing. Rain at night one time, quite heavy. Made walking in the hallway dangerous because of the tile floors. But they were working to clean them up immediately. Clouds in the afternoon sometimes, maybe a drop of rain, but mostly beautiful weather.

Be sure to use sunscreen. We used SPF45 and still got burned. Bring a lightweight long sleeve top and pants or a wrap of some sorts for Tulum to keep the sun off you and a hat.

All in all we had a great time, would definitely go back. Our son and his girlfriend got engaged on the beach the last night there. That was so special. And my husband and I renewed our wedding vows on the beach at sunset on our anniversary with our kids around us. It was so special.

You can email me if you have any questions at kglattierre@aol.com.

Great time at the Royal Porta Real

by TripAdvisor Member bdg

My wife and I just returned from the Royal Porta Real. We were orignaly booked at the Gran Porta Real, but upon our arrival we were asked if we would like to stay at the Gran. After reading many of the reviews I little concerned about either hotel. After a couple of extra minutes to check in we were shown to our room and we were pleasently suprised, the rooms a large and beautiful.

We spent the frist couple of hours wondering around the hotel and the beach and found everything to be very nice. The hotel has two large pools with plenty of room and a swim up bar. The beach was great for swimming and relaxing, although it is a little rocky near the south end of the beach.

We found the staff to be very helpful; on the first evening we accidently locked the bathroom door. We found a person cleaning room on our floor who call a maintenance person to our room and the problem was resoved immediately. Around the pool and beach area the wait staff were very attentive and were quick to ensure that our drink glass did not remain empty for long. If you drink Daiquiris you may find the drinks to be a little weak, but be careful if you order a Bourbon and Coke. The bartenders down by the pool tend to make bourbon and coke much stronger!!

The food at the Gran was great and had a good variety. We only ate at the Pelicinos resturant for breakfast and lunch. For diner we ate out on Fifth St or ordered room service.

The only downside to diner is needing to make a reservation for the specialty resturants. I can not speak poorly of the Gran for this practice since it is common place at every hotel that we have stayed at in the area.

All in all a great time. The hotel has a great location, beach, rooms, and service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling the area.

Very Good, but some service problems

We stayed at the Royal from June 28th to July 1st; we started our vacation by staying across the street at the sister hotel, the Gran, but switched to the Royal because we decided we wanted to try it out. (We were originally going to book the Royal, but were scared off by previous reviews about construction noise.)

First, the facilities. The facilities are gorgeous. The hotel is laid out in a U shape with the beach on one end. To avoid construction noise, stay in the wing that is closer to the sister hotel, the Gran. (Next to the other wing, there is still construction of another building going on.) One other thing: our reservations through American Express didn't specify a king or two doubles--just the class of room--so call the hotel a day or two ahead to specify the type of room.) Rooms are decorated in neutral tones with a bit of Mexican flair. There is a large jacuzzi tubs in the room next to the bed near the patio door, which seat two and the bathroom has an additional shower. There is an iron/ironing board, coffee maker, a numeric-coded safe, which is different from the Gran, which has no iron/ironing board or coffee maker and a key lock safe, which was a bit primitive. The Gran has nice rooms, but they are a bit older, and the color scheme is pale orange with green accents

There is a DVD player in each room at the Royal so bring your own DVDs if you want to watch movies. While we were there, there was cable, but no English channels, except for the movies, which were broadcast in English with Spanish subtitles.

The beach in front of the Royal is shared with the Gran, but the Royal takes up the majority of it, and there is a pier that separates the two beaches. The Gran does have an additional beach around the corner from the shared beach, but it has a lot of fishing boats grounded on it. Overall, the beach is terrific, the sand is very soft and white, and probably extends 100 feet or more into the water so you can wade far out. There are a few few rocks in the water directly in front of the Royal, but just a bit right it is all sand. The waves, while we were there, were small--not really enough to body surf.

In terms of business services, there is supposed to be wireless Internet, which we did not try. The business center does have Internet access for 2 pesos a minute, but the computers do not have Microsoft Word or Excel so you cannot edit documents.

On the service side, the Royal was uneven. The front desk was helpful as was facilities. The front desk was very efficient with check in and check out, and helped with minor problems in our room. (The hot water went out for about thirty minutes.) Ordering room service, however was an unpleasant experience because the person taking orders was extremely rude. The person kept making us call different numbers in the hotel and you could tell he was lying about the numbers. However, the person who delivered the food was very nice, and the food was very good. We had a club sandwich the steak strips, and the flan. We tried Pelicanos, the beachside restaurant, for lunch and dinner. For lunch, the food and service were excellent. For dinner, both the food and service were poor. The steak was tough and below average and the shrimp was just average. Service was among the worst that we have had anywhere. We would not suggest the all inclusive.

A better bet is the Glass Bar Restaurant on Fifth Avenue. The prices are similar to Pelicanos (about $80-100 US dollars for two, including tip, two glasses of wine, appetizers, entrees, dessert, and coffee), but the food, presentation, and service are 100% times better. My wife had the seafood pasta, and I had the sea bass, and both were very good. Another pretty good place is John Gray's Place just off Fifth Avenue. This is restaurant started by a former Ritz Carlton Chef, which has received good write-ups in Conde Naste Traveler. cream spinach and asparagus sides that we ordered. The shrimp was good, but not particularly exciting. The gazpacho that we ordered as an appetizer was good. (Price here was closer to $100 for two, including tip, two glasses of wine, appetizers, entrees, two sides, dessert and coffee. Also, they only take cash, not credit cards.) We also ate dinner at Ulla Gula, which was good and less expensive, but not as good as the other two restaurants.

In terms of night life, we went to the Blue Parrot upon the recommendation of the Royal staff, and it was great! The Blue Parrot is a club on the beach, with outside seating and dance floor. They have a fire show around 11:00 p.m. (although it started at around 11:20, the night we were there was a Friday night). Get there by 1O:45 to get a good seat. The fire show is excellent, and the dancing is a lot of fun. The museum is a bit techno pop, but still fun. The cover for weekend was nominal--$5 US dollars per person, which gets you a ticket for two beers or one drink. The dancing starts around midnight after the fire show.

Shopping on Fifth Avenue is just OK, although there are a lot of stores. Probably between 75 to 100. If you are expecting more than souvenirs and medium quality silver jewelry, you will be dissapointed. There are only a few higher end shops--a few jewelry stores and one souvenir shop. However, if what you want are some nice T-shirts, silver jewelry, tequila, and Kahlua, you'll be just fine.

Fifth Avenue itself is charming, with a lot of outdoor bars and restaurants on the first and second floors. Lots of thatched roofs. There are jazz bars; others playing Mexican music--all of which are great.

As for day trips, both Chichen Itza and Tulum were great. We preferred Tulum a bit because of the seaside location, and the fact that there were no vendors inside the grounds coming up to you and trying to sell you you souvenirs. We also went to XelHa, which was terrific. Everything there is very clean, and they give you new snorkels wrapped in plastic wrap, which are yours to keep as a souvenir. My wife, who does not swim well, was able to snorkel in the lagoon without any problems, and she loved it. You will see large and small fish--some brilliantly colored blue ones. To see more fish, swim out to the rocks in the middle of the lagoon. Although we did not do the dolphin experience package, we would recommend it. What they do is let you swim with the dolphins, but more interesting is that they do this thing where the two dolphins propel you through the water. You float in the water with your legs in back of you and the two dolphins swim and push you from your feet so that you look kind of like you are water skiing, with your body halfway out of the water. Looked very cool and very safe. Kids were doing this with no problem!

If you are choosing between Cancun and Playa del Carmen, what we can tell you is that we took a day trip into Cancun. Cancun is very nice, but it is larger than Playa and more Americanized, which is good and bad. The shopping centers have better shopping, and there are more brand name American restaurants. The major drawback is that you have to take a taxi to most of the shopping centers since everything is so spread out.

If you are looking for a resort experience and want to spend time walking around and eating at different restaurants, then the Royal is for you. It is the nicest place to stay on the beach that is within walking distance of Fifth Avenue. However, if you are the type of person who wants an all inclusive, the Royal Hideaway, the Riu, and the other hotels in Playacar are still within a five minute taxi ride of Fifth Avenue, and many of them looked very nice from the outside--especially the Royal Hideaway and the Riu.

Have a good time!

Royal Porto : the Good and the Bad

We stayed at the Royal Porto from July 1 - 8, 2005. We chose the European plan ( Non - Inclusive). My husband and I travelled with our 2 sons (8 and 6 years old), and overall we had a good time.
The Good : The hotel is really georgous, brand new and clean. The room was spacious, with a large balcony on the second floor overlooking the pool and the ocean. The jacuzzi in our room was wonderful. The shower was also very roomy. Location of this hotel is also great. You are in the heart of Playa del Carmen, just a short walking distance from restaurants and shops, and lots of it. Great food in the restaurants in Playa Del Carmen.
The breakfast buffet at the hotel is nice and offers lots of choices (16 USD per pers)
The Bad : Construction noise off and on during the day, and early morning (8h00AM). Drilling sounds, hammering. It seems that there is construction or repairs been done all over the place. The price of food at the hotel is awful. Expect to pay 10 USD for a hotdog lunch. We paid 40 USD for an afternoon snack at the Pelicanos (4 desserts + 4 sodas). 5 USD for a pina Colada, which was extremely watered down. There is no kids club at this hotel. You will need to go across the street (Gran Porto), and the room where the kids are staying is not airconditioned (ceiling fan only) and rather small. The kids at the club go swimming in the Gran Porto' s pool
(No kiddie pool).
Try to get a room away from the main lobby: The music in the lobby is on all day, and shows take place in the lobby at night.
The beds are very very hard.
Service is so so, not memorable.
And as usual in Mexico, you will find these lovely "time-share" people strolling the main hotel lobby trying to get your attention and trying to engage you even after you told them we weren't interested
Trip : We highly recommend a day trip to Coba (1h30 to 2h00 drive from Playa. These ruins in the middle of the jungle are a must see. No crowd, just a lot of walking (2kms each way), and great pyramids (better than Tulum). Most of the walking is in the shade, but take lots of water, and insect repelent.
Also good restaurants outside the park, and people were so nice and helpful, and we did not feel like "walking dollars" in Coba. We had a great time there.
Overall, we would recommend the Royal Porto, as this is a brand new hotel, and the location is just great. If you are ready to overlook the construction, and service, you will have a great time

As good as it gets

by TripAdvisor Member Tennesse Traveler

We stayed at the Royal Puerto Real June 30th 05 to July 7th 05. We have made several trips to this region of Mexico and found this trip to be one of the most enjoyable. The resort was definitely a Mexican 5 star facility. If you haven't traveled much outside the states you will quickly learn that U.S. 5 star is pretty much unobtainable unless you have extremely deep pockets. If you are that hard to please stay at home and don't embaress the U.S. with your petty complaints and rude behavior. The Mexican people of this region are truly warm, friendly,good humored and go to extremes to make Americans feel welcome in their country.
Things to know:It is my understanding that the average wage in Mexico is around $10.00 Per day. A 1 or 2 dollar tip goes a long way in showing your appreciation for their hard work. I generally take 200 one dollar bills for a one week trip. Place 2 on the bed each morning for the maid and 2 in the refrigerator under the drinks you want restocked. I gurarantee you that you will never have to worry about towels or beverages. I tipped the beach waiter 1 dollar each round. I finally had to stop tipping him because he would bring me a drink every time he came by and I was getting smashed before noon each day. Resturants I tipped 2 dollars if the service was good @ breakfast and lunch. Dinner at the reservation resturants I tipped as much as 20. This was probably a bit much but the entire resturant staff at the Asian resturant splits the tips and the entire staff waited on us hand and foot. The last night they worked us in (third time, food is wonderful) made us special coffee with desert and made us feel like family. There is a dress code, long pants and collared shirts for men. It was an embarressment to see guest bully their way in in shorts and tee shirts. The head waiter said that he accomodates them to keep complaints down... what a shame. Resort jobs are highly sought after and I understand that if a complaint is lodged against a Mexican citizen for an abuse of a tourist he can lose his permit to work in the tourist industry for up to 4 years. We utilized room service once: It was good and quick. We called maintenance once: They were quick and efficient. We called the front desk to unlock our room safe: They were there within minutes no complaints. The liquor was good and top shelf. The beer was domestic (hello- domestic means their domestic not ours) and one sometimes two choses. The bartenders are not all created equal in their abilities. The lobby bar is by far the best. Victor and Herman and their waitresses entertained us every night and became friends before our week was through. The tequila bar down stairs is good also. The pool bars were hit and miss, sometimes undrinkable. Just pour it out and order another. People make their own misery. Your on vacation, relax and enjoy it!! The beach is one of the best in Playa del Carmen. You are steps away from fifth ave. The weather is hot, humid, and sometimes rainy this time of year. There are kids at this resort. There are mosquitos at Tulum. There are a great many topless sunbathers up and down the beach. Not everyone speaks English as well as us. You do have Jerks who lay beach towels out in the early mornings to claim chairs and then don't show up til noon if at all. There is a construction project going on next door. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR PERFECTION DON'T GO THERE. STAY AT HOME. I'M SURE IT IS PERFECT AT YOUR PLACE!!!!!

Read First_The Most Wonderful Experience Ever!!

Let me first start by saying, I have been called a little "high maintenance" before so hopefully you will appreciate this review. I have traveled to Playa several times and stayed at other resorts and of course read all the reviews on this hotel before going. I must say I was truly WORRIED about the trip, BUT let me tell you, you have nothing to fear. Flew out of Houston, into Cancun, no problems, had round trip transports (which i would recommend), arrived at the hotel around 10:30 was able to check in immediately (Estrella and Isabel were wonderful hosts), room was correct as being a junior oceanfront(WOW) what a view. got into room and noticed it did not have a hammock, upon bell boy's (PAZ) arrival, expained to him the issues and we were moved next door immediately with no blinks of the eyes or hesitation. Rooms were all that people had said, wonderul spacious, awesome large jacuzzi for two. balcony was great too. very clean and nicely decorated. beds were very hard, but did not seem to bother us in the least. the mini bar was stocked, but the only problem there was never got cold enough, but they did attempt to fix upon our requests. we did not use it enough to worry about it though. a/c worked wonderfully and also had a ceiling fan that we kept on high the whole day and let me tell you it was extremely cold in there during the heat of the day and even at night. we did all inclusive and would not have gone any other way. all the resteraunts were incredible and service was again great. the only place we encountered slow service was at pelicianos during the lunch crowd; however, we were not in a large hurry either so we did not mind. spice was the only buffet there and was great breakfast, lunch, and even dinner, but did pretty much have the same thing everyday to choose from (loved Ariel). Maria Marias was not in fact a mexican, more french, but presentation was wonderful and veal, chicken, seafood, all great again. never could reservations at Asiana. Did eat across the street at the Gran and felt the food was just as great over there. The best meal of the week was at Il Pescatore-could not brag enough, loved the rolls with cream cheese (you must make reservations early though). the beach was awesome, but a little bit rocky in some spots as you got closer to the gran area. bar service was great again at the beach. i tell you this though we had a very hard time getting a shaded area at the beach. we had to get there quite early in the am to get a spot, but the hotel was full when we were there too. the pool was another plus, lots of early afternoon pool activities. swim bar and pool was fun too. not too many hard times finding a spot at the pool. it did rain on us the first day we were there but only for a very short time. we were there duting the whole hurricane dennis time, so that was to be expected. the mosquitos were TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! you should have seen all the people running around with bites that looked like whelps all over their body. the best $6.50 we spent was on OFF lotion. they said it was the worse it has ever been, due to all the rain and the season. might think of taking some just in case. we could not enjoy anything outside until we were able to get some spray!! did 5th avenue, but must say that we did not get any great deals. we bought cheaper stuff in the mexican airport then we did on 5th avenue and appeared to be better quality. tried la parilla on 5th and was not all that. you have to understand where we live has the best mexican food places and none of those in mexico could match up, was a little disappointed at that. did the alltournative jungle tour and loved it all. the only negative could not wear anytype of sunscreen or bug spray due to the manmade reef and cenotes. it was still worth the little bit of sunburn that i got, but i am a redhead too. if you choose to do this, just an FYI, has a rough but sometimes fun ride in an mercedes army vehilce, but LENZ and LOUIS made it awesome. it was the best snorkeling that i have ever done!! truly a wonderful experience.
there was not a lot of activities at the hotel. the michael jackson show was not all that, but it was worth a laugh. the karoke show at the gran on sunday night was more fun and did not check out any other shows there.
check out was a breeze and getting back to the airport was easy too.
i would love to help any of you out with any questions or concerns. please just send me an email.
the only negative that i would end with would be we thought about tipping to get a little bit more personalized service and we did to a few bartenders (GERMAN AT THE LOBBY WAS WONDERFUL (try a cabana) and so was GORDO at the lobby bar. JESUS WAS great too at the Pool bar, JUAN CARLOS at the beach); however, i felt like there were truly too many people at the resort to get the most personalized service that you could, even tipping might not have helped.
all in all it was the most relaxing, beautiful time had by myself and boyfriend. already told several friends about it and would highly recommend it to anyone. i would say that it was more i think for couples and relaxing times then partying stay up all night kind of place. if you have children you might think of staying across the street at the gran, they have a kids club and ton of kids staying there!!
dont have photos yet, but you will need to see yourself to experience. again if you need anything please feel free to email me at stacymcintyre@marinerrealty.net

Playa del Carmen Trip - Jan 25 -29 2006

by Steph&Kara

"Playa del Carmen"

We had a great time. Stayed at the Royal Porto Real. Very nice, but all inclusive is just too expensive when you want to adventure outside and get the local flavor. We paid a lot of money for meals and drinks we didn't have because we were hanging out on 5th

"Day Trip to Akumal"

We spent $2 for a bus ride to Akumal.. worth so much more... great place!

"4 - Wheeling in the jungle"

ATV adventure tours.. $48 for a 2 hour tour.. Worth every penney. Go early in the day to avoid to large groups. Exploring the caves and swimming in the cenotes was 1/2 the fun. We topped 50 MPH on the ATVs. Fun Fun Fun!!

The Royal Porto Real is very niceThe Royal Porto Real is very nice

Question for local members

by mlry6e

Can anyone give me a lead on a local vendor (name and phone/email contact info)with whom bride and groom may contract for a wedding tent or canopy? Wedding is May 22, The Royal Playa del Carmen. Hotel does not have/supply tent or canopy. Wedding is for 100+/- guests. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Mary

by Dabs

I've had good luck finding restaurant recommendations and day trip info on this website, it's run by locals and people who frequent the area. I'm kind of surprised though that you are bringing along 100 people who may be staying at their resort and they can't help you find someone to supply you with a canopy

by mlry6e

You're not as surprised as I am. There are already at least 50 guests under deposit, more every day. I had to fight tooth and nail just to get permission to contract locally. They turned me down the first three times I asked. Had I known then what I know now... Thanks very much for your help!
Mary

by mangifii

Just saw this post from Oct. - so maybe it's too late to reply. I'm not sure what size tent/canopy you're looking for, but I was just in Playa and saw a wedding on the beach at the Royal Playa del Carmen and they had a canopy set up on the beach. It wasn't huge - didn't cover all the guests, but was large enough for the entire wedding party to stand under. I didn't see who set it up, so don't know if it was the hotel or not, but it looked like it was part of the hotel setup.

Gran Porto Real Resort + Wedding

by jbohr23

Hi,
My fiance and I are going to be getting married in Oct. at the Gran Porto Real resort in Playa Del Carmen. Has anyone gotten married at this resort and if so would you recommend the resort to get married at? My travel agent is going next week to take some pictures, etc. but we've just been informed of a great package price and was curious how the wedding went there.

By the way....any pictures of the resort/wedding site would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Jenny

Re: Gran Porto Real Resort + Wedding

by travelnick

Check your email.

RE: RE: Gran Porto Real Resort + Wedding

by jamurray49

My nephew is planning on a wedding February 2006. If possible, I would appreciate any info on the resort/wedding site as well.

Many thanks!

RE: Gran Porto Real Resort + Wedding

by Jody24

WE are going to a wedding there in 29 days. I will let you know how it goes.
Jody

Weather in NOvember / Gran Porto Real

by Beasly

Hello! I'm so excited, my husband and I are going on our honeymoon from Nov 7 - Nov 16th (although we were married in August) to try and get good weather. What is the weather like that time of November?? Also, has anyone stayed or know about the gran porto real? We love to dance - we really dig electronica, any suggestions / comments??

Re: Weather in NOvember / Gran Porto Real

by hayward68

I was in the Mayan Riviera in November a couple of years ago. We had sunny mornings and early afternoons and then the clouds would roll in so we'd leave the beach by about 3pm as it would rain for a little while. I think it all depends on whether the hurricane season ends early or not. You might get lucky and have 7 days of perfect sunshine :-)
It was still quite hot though.

by Dabs

We're heading to the same resort in December, would love it hear about it when you get back. Here's a good website someone pointed me to

Have a great trip!

by Beasly

Thanks I will check out that webpage. I will be sure to tell you all about the Gran Porto Real. I am also working on posting more pictures etc. so I will be sure to create an album about my trip for you to see!

Love the dog :)
Dawn

by Dabs

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing your tips :-)

The hotel should be really close to the ferry going over to Cozumel, I think it's about a 45 minute trip.

If you haven't been to this area before and are interested in going out to see some Mayan ruins, Tulum is the closest and has a beautiful oceanside setting, Coba is a little further and a bit harder to get to (we rented a car and drove there) and Chichen Itza is fabulous but is an all day trip. If you don't want the added hassle of renting a car there will be all kinds of bus trips going over and I think there's also a public bus. But I think it's best seen with a guide that can explain some of the Mayan customs and the functions of the remaining buildings.

Kristi