Viva Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Budget Travel Spa and Resort
See Amenities

the worst hotel ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 5, 2010

This was the worst vacation ever thanks to the viva wyndham azteca personnel. They were rude & mean. They opened our safe box and stole all our money, ipods and jewelry, this was done by cloning the key card and they said it was us, the security camera was not working and they said they were gping to kick us out of the hotel if we said anything to other guests in the hotel.
We called the police and we saw how they paid them of so we could talk to them. My grandmother has a heart and pressure condition, and for all this she was not feeling good and when we tried to get the hotel "doctor" to measure her blood pressure he wanted to charges us 25 bucks, which we did not have since they just stole all our money.
The viva wynham azteca is the worst hotel, the receptionist can not answer any questions since they don;t sem to know any spanish nor english. Don't waste you money, pay 200 extra bucks and go to the riu, iberostar or any other hotel some where they don;'t treat you as if you were not paying. It's your job learn how to do it or how to treat people, the customer is always right and no you can't yell at us, be rude, tell us we are stupid. don';t go to this hotel!!!

Unique Quality: the pool is good, the food is really bad, we paid all inclusive and ended up eating out almost all the time, they can't even make a decent hot dog or french fries.

Wonderful Wedding at the Azteca

by written on August 7, 2008

My husband and I were married at the Viva Azteca on July 26, 2008, and we and our 14 guests had a fantastic experience! The Azteca is one of the best values in the area and has the best beach we saw. It's also only about a two-mile walk to shopping and sightseeing in Playa del Carmen (some resorts in are relatively isolated). The staff is incredibly hardworking, friendly and eager to please. We especially appreciated our wedding coordinator, Marco Castillo, and highly recommend this hotel for a destination wedding. Our guests were all treated like VIPs. A few were drafted into the nightly entertainment, including dance contests and beer drinking contests, and had a lot of fun. Everyone was happy with the buffet and a la carte restaurants, with Il Palco (the Italian restaurant) being the hands-down favorite.

Unique Quality: Best beach in the area. Very intimate for an all-inclusive. Friendly and fun staff.

toemayn's Profile Photo

Good value

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 11, 2008

Nothing really outstanding just an above average value especially the food and drinks. The only problem we had was that we were given a room on the third floor even though I had called when I booked the trip requesting we be given a room on the ground floor. I immediately complained and was given a ground floor room the next day.

DiggerDawg's Profile Photo

Nice small resort in Playacar

by written on March 17, 2008

Smaller resort which translate into almost no line ups. Longest I had to wait for anything was about 2 minutes for a drink during the busiest time. Room we had was 3216, it had absolutely no view and a bit of a musty smell when we first arrived. Got over the smell quickly, it had confortable beds, hot running water, very little water pressure, easy safe to use, small stocked fridge, close to lobby bar and buffet and about a 1 minute walk to pool/beach, in other words perfect.

Could always fine something good to eat at buffet, omelletes were great. Only ate at the Bamboo ala carte, despite them misunderstanding my order, food and service was great. I do think they use MSG in their food though, not certain but had that bloated head achy feeling afterwards. We ate at Don Diego's over at the Maya and had a wonderful time with excellent food and margaritas.

Lobby and beach bar had great service but remember each bartender makes his drinks differently. Beach bar always has something to snack on, during the day they have pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs as well as some other hot dishes, chips, salsa and plenty of non-alchoholic drinks. The home made sals at the buffet and beach bar is the best I have ever tasted.

The pool was always clean and fresh, a litytle cool in the morning but quite warm by late afternoon. About a dozen palapas by the pool for those that want them. Have to reserve your seats quite early, 6am despite the signs that say you are not suppose to.

The beach was one of the best in the area but it still wasn't the best I have seen. Lots of shade to be had there too. Reserve seats like at the pool if you want a good one. I found that they are a little over the top when its comes to ocean safety. They would put up the red flag just when the waves were getting good enough for boogie boarding and of course with the red flag up all water toys were suspended. The Azteca does have a life guard on duty at the beach all day long. I guess the safety comes into play because of the strong under tows in the area and the and the idiots who thing they are better swimmers than fish. Did not see any problems though.

The animation staff did a great job entertaining people throughout the day with lots of activities for all. Their dance routine at night was good but watching people dance only got old quick, would have enjoyed a little variety.

We ended up having a great time and would definately go back.

Unique Quality: The fact that the resort was small was a big plus.

Kaspian's Profile Photo

Viva Wyndham Azteca

by written on April 5, 2007

Lunacella is a statuesque, stunning, young Italian woman with curly dark hair and bright green eyes. I am convinced that she's made it her personal mission this week to drive me crazy.
Standing at the cozy open-air beach bar waiting for a drink, minding my own business, I turn around to see her facing me, inches away--nose-to-nose. "Ciao!" She says, with a perfect white smile to my surprised look. She struts away in her Mediterranean-blue bikini chuckling to herself.
The Viva Wyndam Azteca is a great little resort. In truth, it's almost not large enough to be called a resort--even the rooms furthest from the ocean are under a 3-minute walk to the beach. Looking up and down the coastline I'm happy because this place is the only hotel that still has a beach at all. Many were washed away during Hurricane Emily several years ago.
On check-in, I complained that the "superior room" I paid a bit extra for was not very superior at all. It's on the ground floor and faces a tree grove. They tell me at the desk that "superior" only means "two beds". I give up arguing and come to love my peaceful palm grove within days. Although the bathroom fixtures looked a little old, the hotel's rooms are kept very clean. The maids even show up in the evening for a bed turn-down service.
The buffet is one of the best of any resort I've visited. I didn't bother to book one of the 4 "a la carte" restaurants because regular meals were so excellent. The wait staff are quick and friendly, but it was sometimes difficult to get a coffee.
The town of Playa del Carmen is only a 20-minute walk from here and the resort has bicycles you can use for free. My travel companion and I had tons of fun exploring the area!
Although the resort's nightly shows leave something to be desired, the daily activities are plentiful--exercise, dancing, and Spanish lessons.
Thanks to this place, the sun and sand, and the beautiful Roman goddess playing hide-and-seek with me, my winter funk is completely lifted over the course of a week. Viva Azteca! Viva Lunacella!

Unique Quality: Only two miles from Playa del Carmen, free use of bicycles, well kept pool, and you can use the facilities and restaurants of the "Viva Wyndam Maya" resort located only minutes down the street.

Directions: In Playacar. A 20 minute walk from Playa del Carmen.

Good for families, good food, not much nightlife

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 11, 2004

This was our first trip to Mexico, we had a great time! The place is not huge like some of the all-inclusives on Playa. It's big enough to have lots of activites and a nice beachfront, and the rooms are comfortable. There are 4 al a carte (dinner only) restaurants included with this place, 2 at this location and 2 down the street at the Viva Maya, you can eat in all of them with your stay. Also of course there is a big open buffet dining area for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That was ok, nothing exciting, but all in all pretty good Mexican buffet style food and WONDERFUL guacamole.
Also there is the VIVA CAFE in downtown Playa, it is also included in the hotel inclusive plan. You do have to make reservations like the other ones though. We only ate ala carte once, in the Italian one, it was ok, but not super. Service was wonderful, food was ok.

They have a kids program, we don't have kids so I can't tell you much about that, except the kids looked to be having a blast.

Viva is a short walk from the little shopping village on avenida 10, they also have free bikes you can ride at this hotel.
There is a cool bird aviary down the street, and I think it was like $5US, we are bird people so we enjoyed that. Lots of beautiful birds and gardens. Don't remember the name, we just walked down there, it's halfway between the viva and downtown, on the opposite side of the street from the hotel.

We did rent a car and go to Cancun, you may not want to do this, but we are pretty independent, so ...It was fun, but I am glad we stayed in Playa, Cancun is too fast and busy for us.

Bottom line: Good reasonable hotel for families or couples wanting to just relax, not alot of partying going on here.
Nice location, close to town!
Pool closes too early and no snack bar or food of any kind to be had after about 10pm, so if you get the munchies late at night, you will want to hide some Snickers in your luggage for a snack! LOL

Unique Quality: I did get a pedicure at the Spa, and my husband got a great haircut, they are VERY nice and hospitable there.

You can walk down the street to the Viva Maya and use all of their facilities as well as Viva Azteca. I think they have a bigger pool and a swim up bar. Buffet is pretty much the same.

Directions: On Avenida 10 in PlayaCar

• Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
  • Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
  • Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
  • Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen

Address: Paseo Xaman-Ha, Lote Holetero No. 8, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, 77710, Mexico

15 Photos of Viva Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive

• Continental Breakfast
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Playa del Carmen Travel Forum

Need advice about Playa del Carmen, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Playa del Carmen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Playa del Carmen hotel reviews

DIY daytrip-Tulum, Akumal, Yalku
Travel from the airport
Ferries to Cozumel
Transportation
Buyers Beware....I was lied to and ripped off
Do not go!
INCREDIBLE!!!
Luxury Snorkel, Fishing, High Dive, Karaoke Tour
Car rental and Driving in Playa del Carmen
Walk along the beach
Portal Mayan bronze sculpture
Parque Fundadores
Things to Do
The main area of tourist activity
Colonial Town Valladolid