Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach

Ctra. Federal Chetumal, Km 266,3, Puerto Aventuras, Puerto Aventuras, Quintana Roo, 77750, Mexico
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Expedia.com Booking.com Barcelo.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach

Excellent time at Barcelo Colonial

by TripAdvisor Member bj-graham

I am just back from the Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort in the Mayan Riviera. Overall our experience was excellent.

The Resort:
The resort is beautiful, well decorated, well laid out, and not too big. I have been to other resorts that were way too big. The Colonial section was opened in Nov. 2005, so very fresh and new. The grounds are in immaculate condition and well maintained. Lobby big and beautiful, marble floors, big chandeliers,fountains and lots of comfortable seating. Very quiet area, which is nice with Baileys on ice at late night to finish your night.
If you did not know about the hurricane last fall, you would not know from the resort as there are no lingering effects from Hurricane Wilma. All of the buildings (both Colonial and Tropical) are well located and everything is easy to access. All buildings are 3 stories with the asset of elevators for those who did not want to do stairs to 3rd floor, many times (guilty). The Colonial and Tropical sections are identical on opposite sides. Slightly different colour scheme, and slightly different lobby, bar sections, but all in all exactly the same. The Tropical side had very few people staying there, I assume because it only opened in Feb. 06

The Rooms:

We stayed in a regular deluxe room as no jr. suites were available to us. The rooms have alot of space, large bathroom, balcony, couch, desk and entertainment centre, with TV, and mini bar and coffee machine. Our room also had bath robes and slippers which was a nice touch. Also, a ironing bord and iron were in the closet, which was good to have. One other addition to the room that was valuable, was a weigh scale. Not that we needed to know how much weight we put on with all of the food, but we found the scale good to have so we could check the weight of our luggage before we went to the airport. If we were overweight we could transfer some weight to carry on bags to avoid extra cost. Safe was no extra cost and easy to use.

Pools and Beach:

The pools were huge and easily accessible. The one biggest complaint from the guests was that the pool was cold, but that was due to low temperatures at night. (17-18C). No problems getting chairs anywhere (beach or pool). Swim up bars at both large pools. The beach is spectacular as it is huge in size. Beautiful white sand, long coast (great for walking). A 6:25 am. wake up call for a beatiful Gulf of Mexico sunrise is a must at least once. The ocean is beautiful, sandy and plentiful. Some nice coral areas for snorkelling. Jet Skis, boogie boards, etc are available for use. The kids pool (waterpark) was popular for young children. Very safe and lots of fun for the lille ones. A nice touch by the pools were hammocks for a comfortable nap. Lots of them spread around the pools.

Restaurants:

The food was typical of all inclusives. Good but not great. The buffets were plentiful, but in my opinion, not great. Food not always that warm, and some main dishes, not always replenished often enough. Lots of fruit, salads and breads. The restaurants were well decorated (indoors), nice tables and staff always attentive to your needs. Breakfast buffets were good, smoothies a must. Custom eggs and fresh donuts yummy.
Ala Cartes were good. Steakhouse was disappointing, Italian was excellent and I heard that Seafood was dissapointing. Always remember that food and restaurants are opinions. Some will rave, some will be dissappointed. I am used to 4.5 - 5 star ala cartes and overall the Colonial/Tropical restaurants would get a 3.5 out of 5. No problem getting reservations, but remember the resort was not at full capacity, so I would recommend to reserve as soon as you arrive. I heard some say they only got 1 out of 3 reservations. This may have been because of large #'s needed. The ala cartes are not that big, but well decorated. We had no wait times to be seated which was good.

Entertainment:

The animation team was good, but because they are new, not great. Some resorts Ive been to, get people involved better, that being said I had no complaints. Good cross section of music and activities.
The evening shows were very good. Beautiful theatre with bars. The shows were well put together. The Michael Jackson show on the Caribe side is a must. Start working on your kaorake skills...good show. The Captain Morgans beach bar on the Caribe side is a great spot after dark (11:00). Good dancing, good drinks, all beach side and outdoors. Lots of activities for the kids. They will not be bored.

Bars:

Many bars, lots of alcohol. Self serve at beach bar, pool bar with slushy machines and alcohol to add if needed. Corona draft beer is good (dark and light). Tequila everywhere you look. Miami Vice, Tequila Sunrise, any daquiri were poular. Main lobby bar has upgraded liquor like Baileys, Jack Daniels, J&B Scotch

Conclusion:

All in all we enjoyed our time at Barcelo Maya Colonial Resort. Although new, the resort ran smooth. The location was great for most attractions. I recommend taking the collectivo (mini van) at front of resort to Playa Del Carmen $2 each way, lots less than taxi. Also available to go to Tulum and or Cancun, stopping at most attractions. Tulum Mayan Ruins and beach is a must and only $4.50 US each. The beach there is out of this world beautiful. Great photos.
I would highly recommend the Barcelo Maya Colonial or Tropical Resort. It is definitely a step up from the Caribe side and worth it. Whether you have kids, want nightlife, or quiet romantic, its all their.

Fantastic Vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member FamilyFun!Fernie

My Husband and I along with our 4 year old and 14 month old stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial from Feb 3rd - Feb 10th. It was absolutely Fantastic from the get go. The rooms are bright and very clean, the food was terrific, however we did not eat at any of the a la cartes because we felt the kids may not sit through them and the staff, waterpark and beach were great. Yes, there is coral in the water but it provides great snorkeling, the water is all shades of blue and is warm. The beach is very long, so there is a lot of area to spread out and it isn't a problem finding beach chairs and a place to relax. The only inconvenience we came across was that there was not a beach hut supplying water equipment (paddle boats, snorkel gear etc...) you had to go to the Barcelo Caribe Resort down the beach. I am sure they have a future hut planned on the new side, but for now that is where you go. If you have younger children, you may want to request a room away from the amphitheatre, it is very loud and the shows finish around 11:00-11:30p.m.

We will definitely be returning to this Beautiful Resort, it was our best vacation yet!

Best Vacation Ever!!

My husband, 4 year old daughter and I have just returned from the Barcelo Maya Colonial after a weeks vacation.I just want to let everyone know what a top notch resort this is. Fantastic choice of ala carte restaurants, great buffets, exceptional service, and spotlessly clean. This website was very useful to use before our departure.

This is one of two new hotels on the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort Complex. The entire resort is great - but there are definite advantages to staying in the new section. I would recommend the Colonial or Tropical. Worth the extra as you get 4 ala carte choices instead of 2.

Ala carte choices: Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Seafood, Steak House, Japanese/Thai.All great - we did not try the Japanese but heard they had amazing Lobster tails!!

I have been to multiple all inclusive resorts over the years and this is a high calibre place.

This hotel has an exceptional kids water park with 9 water slides and shallow water that comes up to an adults knee. The kids club is great with crafts, movies, games, playground. My daughter made cookies one day. Great job to Anna and Adilene - very caring and loving staff.

Activity staff - wow - so much fun. Dance lessons everyday - Chantal!! you are the greatest - Thanks for showing us how to Salsa.

Beach is beautiful - some rocky sections - but plenty of sandy sections with sand bars, my daughter was able to see beautiful fish in the water close to shore without having to snorkel. Reef close by. Tons of water activites available if you choose.

Only complaint is that the Pools are really cold and don't seem to warm up over the week - Ocean is warm and beautiful! Lot's of pools to choose from - but not many people in them.

Great shows at night - 2 theatres with different shows - some are early in the evening for families.

We will definitely be going back next year.

Great hotel worth every penny !!

I am writing a review for Tripadvisor because I found it useful when making the decision of where to go down south. There are so many different resorts, and hopefully this review may help you decide on whether or not the Barcelo Maya Colonial Resort is for you.

My friend and I stayed at the resort from Feb. 14 - Feb. 21, and had a great time. We arrived in a packed airplane, but found the flight to be comfortable and fun. People are always social and willing to talk during these flights. Since we had already been to Cancun before, we were prepared for the downright hectic nature of the airport. Once you clear customs and grab your bags just keep walking till you reach outside. People who have never been don't understand that the tour operators aren't right outside the door and inside the terminal. Most of the people you immediately encounter as you walk out from the customs area are either porters and or time share reps.... They will try to grab your bags to carry, or try to coral you to a counter.... just keep walking till you get outside... this is where the actual tour guides are, and they will guide you to your bus.

We arrived at the resort on Tuesday afternoon and were surprised that even though we had arrived prior to the hotel check-in time, most of our rooms were already ready for us. The only frustration was that there were only 2 people at the front desk, and we had to wait quite a while to actually get to check-in. (Hint ***We were actually lucky, because we sat closer to the front of the bus, and we immediately went to the front desk so we were near the front of the line)

The review is long so please skip to the areas that you are most interested in :

Beach Review - Everything that you have read in previous articles about the beach is true. Both the good and the bad. My friend and I personally found the beach to be good, but we aren't really "beach" people. Most of the people on the bus ride back with us were totally elated with happiness of their "beach" experiences. One gentleman told us that he was snorkelling right by the resort, and saw a sting ray, sea turtle and tons of fish. The beach is deep and long and therefore great to stroll during the days. There were always tons of activities going on, but there were also pockets of quiet areas to enjoy. The hurricane had obviously take it's tole on the area. The neighbouring resort was totally demonished, and you could walk over to see the effect. As a result the palm trees lacked leaves, but this problem will solve it's self very shortly.

Pool Review - The pool was spectacular. A bit cold but spectacular. The older part of the resort has small pools, which twist and turns, and have tons of small islands with green grass and trees. The pools on the Tropical/Colonial side are big and have tons of area to swim in.

A la Carte Restaurants - This was probably the most annoying part of the trip. We went the first day right after we had checked-in to book all of our a la carte reservations, but still found it really difficult. We were getting most of the reservations at 9:00p.m. to 10:00p.m. Totally frustrating. We ended up going to the Sante Fe Steakhouse because everyone was raving about it... but personally we found the food to lack flavor. The service was excellent though and the waiter was friendly. The Capri (italian) restaurant was good, but the dishes were hit or miss....... The Appetizer buffet was great..... my main was just average, but my friends was fantastic.

Buffet - Buffet selection was great, and at first you will over eat. The buffet for lunch was much better at the actual dining room rather than by the beach. The beach grills were also always packed and usually short staffed. The line-ups for burgers usually were atleast 10 - 15 people long.... With regards to food in general... these resorts are always going to be hit or miss... just go and have fun and enjoy the people rather that the food, and you will never be dissapointed.

Rooms - Colonial rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable, and the air conditioning worked well.... A trick to note though is that someone had mentioned in an earlier review that the air conditioning was set and just maintained the room temperature without having to leave a room key in the cradle. This was untrue. The room is actually equiped with sensors that detect motion. Once the door is closed and there is no movement in the room, all lights and air-conditioning shut off until the door is opened again. The room when entering was always a little humid, but cooled down very quickly.

Staff and Service - The staff in the resort were amazing.... They were always friendly and we must have been greeted by atleast 25 "hola's" when we would walk anywhere in the resort. The Staff at the dining room were great as well. Always friendly, and wanting to talk. The maids although not able to speak english perfectly were always wiling to try and communicate. This was probably the best part of the Barcelo Experience. You can tell that they really pick and choose who to hire in the resort.

Entertainment - The shows were fun, and I guess standard for resort entertainment.... I personally found that the music was too loud, and the singers were only power singers who had not true voice.... They were entertaining though, and it is worth finding out what show is at what theatre.... The Kukulcan theatre is on the older side of the resort, and as a result is smaller... The smoke seemed to be kept in the room, along with the heat and humidity. The Palenque theatre on the Tropical/Colonial side was much more open and airy.

The start to the bus ride back was absolutely chaotic. The tour operators weren't really organized, and therefore we were never informed that there were 2 buses, so everyone started to rush towards the first bus with all luggage in hand, and were pushing and shoving. My advice to the tour operators next time is to try to organize the people before hand, and let them know about how to organise themselves. Maybe even split them up before hand, and have them organize the luggage in 2 rows.

The actual bus ride back was a lot of fun... Everyone was talking and swaping stories. It was a double-decker bus, so if you get motion sick don't sit on the upper level... the swaying was a little much.

When we got the the airport we again new to avoid the throngs of people trying to get our attention. We just rushed our way to the counter, and as a result got great seating.... The airline does suggest to pay the extra fee to be able to pre-select your seat, and a previous entry on this website also had a couple complaining about the fact that they were seperated when seated. The key here is to check-in early. If you get to the counter first, and get your boarding pass then you get a good chance of bieng seated together. If you are the type of person whom likes to check-in at the last minute(under 2 hours before departure) then book the seat selection... I still found the flight back to be fun. I had a great couple sitting next to me who had some great insights on future vacation spots for my friend and I.

Overall..... Great experience. Would I go back... For sure. I think the resort is great for an all-inclusive package, and is definitly worth trying.

Great week

Barcelo Maya Beach/ Caribe/Colonial/Tropical
Feb. 10 to 17 2006.
We stayed in the Colonial section, which is only a couple of months old.
I shall not revisit all the information on the postings already written here. Suffice to say, this is a wonderful resort, and we set high standards. In terms of ambiance, the Colonial and Tropical sections are almost on par with the Aventura Spa Palace we visited two years ago. The Colonial and Tropical sections are much superior, being more grand, spacious and attractive than the original Beach and Caribe sections.We found the staff to be extremely well trained and supervised. All immaculately dressed every day. In the a la carte restaurants the head waiter is like a sargent major, which on one occassion led to the staff being far too rushed for our liking.. Staff are constantly cleaning, tidying, gardening, etc. Food is good to very good with great selections. We had a lovely room. Happy to say we were not anywhere facing the disco at night.
Thumbs up from us.
Keith and Beth - Canada

5 star/ great for kids

We've stayed at 5 stars - this is as good.
Lots of kids, great for families.
Great food, try all of the restaurants. Never got sick like you can in Mexico.
Disregard any negative ratings. If you don't like something at the resort - ask them , they'll change it until your satisfied.
Good Beach, good snorkeling.
Very Clean, Very friendly.
Lots to do.
Take the local bus - its easy (just go to the highway) $2. Comes frequently.
We didn't do any organized tours. Just took local bus and payed minimally.
Wished we would have gone for 2 weeks. Will return. Great Value!

Awsome Place

by TripAdvisor Member fear

Awesome resort. Visited Feb 3 - 10, 2006. Had a great time. The rooms, grounds, beaches, eateries, pools, bars and entertainment were all great. The staff were all very friendly and went out of their way to please.

Had a bit of a problem with the language barrier at times, but with the help of sign language always managed to get the point across.

The only complaint we had was the hairdryer in our room had to be repaired 2 times as the heating element in it kept packing it in. The staff were very helpful and had it running pretty quickly after we called with the problem.

Had occasion to exchange some US for Pesos,they give a pretty good rate at the resort.

Check in and out could be a little more organized if they put a few more staff on when the buses are arriving and departing. Also a single file line up would be a little more fair and organized.

Always lots of room and plenty of staff in the Buffet restaurant, and they are wonderfully helpful. The selection of food was great with lots of variety. The coffee leaves a bit to be desired, but once we caught on to the fact they serve Cappuccino Coffee, problem solved. Also the fresh blended juice bar is a must.

The Japanese restaurant was the favorite for us. Also tried the Seafood & Steak House. Exceptional service and very creative good quality food.

The beaches were raked and clean every morning and very beautiful white sand. Plenty of loungers and lots of privacy both at the beach and around the pool. Nice shade covers near the pools. Should be some of those along the beach also. They work great!

Hope to go back again and would probably try to stay at the same resort, as long as the price is right.

Fabulous Entertainment

We were guests at this resort from Jan. 27 to Feb. 4 2006 and were absolutely delighted! This was not our first all-inclusive holiday and while we couldn't help but compare it to previous experiences in Cuba and Fiji, we travelled with friends for whom this was a first experience.
The food was very good with lots of choices, the service was always good and friendly. The bars provided fine service. The decor of the resort was delightful, the housekeeping was immaculate, the grounds were clean and constantly being upgraded. There are huge statues throughout the hallways of the building we stayed in, at intersections open to the sky above. Covered walkways kept you in shade from building to building. The white sand on the beach was great (how does it stay so cool?). Snorkelling was good, check out the sting rays! More shade on the beach would be very welcome. Water shoes are useful - but you can do without. The pools are cool and very refreshing!
But the entertainment! It was top-quality, varied and always interesting. Make sure to catch the nightly shows, and don't forget the 2nd theatre at the adjoining Barcelo resorts - you even get choices in entertainment! Everything from a band to vocalists to dancers, and even some humour! Two comments - these 45+ ears found sound at the theatre at the adjoining resort too loud at times, and the bars at the theatres could use additional staff at the busy hours. However -we were on vacation!
We're very happy with our choice for our holiday and would definitely recommend it to anyone. We only wish our children could someday enjoy it - they'll like it as adults and would have loved it when they were little.
Oh, and take the trip to Coba - the swim in the cenote is amazing.

The Barcelo is beautiful!!

My husband and I were at the colonial from Feb 5 to the 12 for our 10th anniversary.We researched as much as possible before choosing this resort and it exceeded all of our expectations! All of the reviews we read on trip adviser were extreamly helpful as this was our first time at an all inclusive and did not want to go wrong.Our first impression was "wow" of the lobby and grounds( as we had seen other hotels while dropping people off at other resorts-not nearly as nice).Our room was very clean and spacious with a very nice bathroom(great shower!) We were overlooking a group of trees a little ways from the theater but didn't have any problems with the noise from the shows like others did-probably because we were at them almost every night.The shows were surprisingly really good and entertaining.The beaches were absolutly amazing with lots of sandy areas for wading and many rocky/coral areas for snorkling.We would have liked to have seen some water sports equipment at the colonial side instead of having to go to the other side-but no big deal.
We found the food to be very good.There was lots of variety at the buffets,nice and fresh and the seafood buffet night(monday)was the best!The a-la-carte restaurants we went to were the mexican,which was excellent but we felt a bit to rushed for our liking,the steakhouse,which in our opinion was horrible-don't even bother,and the Japanese which was really enjoyable and the food was excellent!We didn't use our seafood reservation because we found out that night there was lobster at the buffet,so we went there instead-and very glad we did.The service everywhere was wonderful,especially from Jorge in the buffet who always had a genuine smile on his face and always put one on ours!
I agree with other people who have said the pools are too cold.My husband didn't think so, but he was one of the very few crazy ones in there.They're beautiful to look at but that's about it this time of year.The ocean was a much more bearable temperature.
There were always activities going on during the day in and around the pool and beach area.
The resort was nice and big but not too big that you can't get around without walking.The caribe side looked a bit more lively to us but we liked the quieter side of the colonial.
As far as leaving the resort, we only ventured out twice, as we were there to relax and this was definately the place to do it! Once to Playa del Carmen (we weren't impressed) and one day to Xel-Ha.(highly recommend this if you love snorkling).
There seemed to be quite a big mix of people,from families to older couples,definately not a party place if that's what you're looking for-mostly couples and families.
Overall we had an amazing time and are already thinking of going back-but next time with our kids who would love it! No major complaints, just little stuff not even significant enough to mention.
Everybody working there always went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect!
We'll definately be back here!

Riviera Maya

by fabiandmicha

"Carribian Feelings"

If you like the beach, then is there never a better place to visit the Riviera Maya. They are 2 nice resorts what I can recomment. The one called Bravo Club El Mandarin and the 2nd is Barcelo Maya Beach. Direct at the beach with beautiful turquoise water, a paradise to swim, snorkel, dive and relax.

Both resorts just minutes away from Playa del Carmen and 60 miles from Cancun. But also for sightseers they are a lot. A trip to Tulum or Chetumal are worth it or Merida, just 2 hours away, are a place to visit.

If you are more the lazy type of person, both resorts have a fun, energetic animation team, which holds you awake, with games, tournaments and evening shows.

CANCUN AIRPORT TRANSFER TO AKUMAL

by TOMAN71

I'll stay in Barcelò Maya Colonial resort in Akumal.
I'm looking for transportation from/to Cancun airport.
Any suggestion ?
Thanks
Andrea

RE: CANCUN AIRPORT TRANSFER TO AKUMAL

by mracine

You may be able to get to Akumal via the Riviera bus, but maybe not directly to your resort. The bus leaves from outside the main arrival hall at the airport. Just before you exit the terminal, there is a Riviera counter where you can buy a ticket. If they do not stop at your hotel, you may have to take a taxi or a shuttle. All of this information and more is available on the website of a travel agency called Do Cancún! - www.docancun.com. To get the airport transportation details, click on Reservations/Airport Transfers in the navigation panel on the right-hand side. There is also more information under Travel Info/Transportation.

Hope this helps,

Martha Racine Taylor (Author of Live It and Learn It! The Complete Guide to Language Immersion Schools in Mexico)

RE: CANCUN AIRPORT TRANSFER TO AKUMAL

by pedrocarlos

Take a taxi.Its simple.

RE: RE: CANCUN AIRPORT TRANSFER TO AKUMAL

by Nataha

How much is a taxi from Cancun airport to Akumal (Grand Oasis Rivera Maya hotel)?

RE: RE: CANCUN AIRPORT TRANSFER TO AKUMAL