Dreams Puerto Aventuras Tulum

Blayz's Profile Photo

Now known as Dreams Puerto Aventuras

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2009

I am going to cut and paste my original posting on tripadvisor.com with a few new additions. When I started writing my review I was in the beginning stages of what I will call a 'mild' case of stomach flu/food poisoning. This is now day two with the stomach symptoms and a fever of 101. To be fair to the resort, its possible that it was a combination of the different foods that I tried and not one thing in particular, but either way I am stuck staying close to the room until the bubble guts go away.

>>> Original Post

Staff.
To be fair, I have to say that the wait staff at this resort definitely tries hard to satisfy all of your requests. They are personable and take the initiative if they see you and attempt to anticipate your needs. The front desk on the other hand, is NOT. After you check in and get the initial welcome information that is where their 'good attitude' stops. If I had to choose a shift that I liked more, I would say the day shift over the night shift - but either leaves much to be desired. Daniel, Juan, Caesar, Manuel, Arturo and Xiomara were all excellent, really helpful and pleasant to deal with.

Activities.
There are a few water activities to be found and the compound the resort is built on has golfing, fishing charters and other things to chose from. But after you get passed that you have nothing else to look forward to. Once the night falls the bars close, the pools become off limits and you are let with the 'night club', nothing left for the adults to do but hop a cab or get a rental and go to 5th Avenue in Riviera Maya. Don't get me wrong I don’t expect the hottest night life to be found at an all inclusive resort, but I do expect there to be more to do maybe some torches on the beach, a dance floor or some adult themed activity.

Bugs.
This was not something that I would normally complain about because I understand the region that we are in and the fact that with that comes some flying pests. The problem I have is because they don’t really seem to do anything to get rid of them. Gnats are everywhere and small crawling bugs run rampant on the patios. Apparently, there was some sort of front that came thru the other night and that multiplied the mosquitoes in the area, so much so that it made dining unbearable. Now I know Dreams has no control over such an anomaly, but a few citronella candles and tiki torches should be part of their (just in case) inventory. Guests should not have to run to the gift shop to buy $12 bottles of bug juice so they can eat in peace. IN the end we just took our food back to our room. But whatever you do, make sure you take the empty trays down the hall or you will end up with gnats, ants in your room or in the hallway were you left the tray. Not to mention the hundreds of tiny fast moving bugs that live in our end tables - we called them twice to have someone spray and no one showed up.

Rooms.
We really like the spaciousness of the room as well as the appointments. The air worked well, kept your space cool but there was a strange humidity that you could not get rid of. The only drawback I can say is the fact that they are kind of dark and since we have been spending most of our time inside of them that makes reading a challenge.

Food.
The food here is average, definitely not close to 5 stars. Edible enough, but I am not sure I can give them a star rating at all. They have a variety of restaurants, each with their own theme but all with very limited menus. All of the restaurants that they have use the lowest quality products and the presentation of the food is childlike at best. The sushi restaurant was the BIGGEST insult. All they have on the menu are rolls, no choice to order a piece of ngiri or sashimi, let alone something teriyaki flavored. The meats that they serve in their other restaurants are of such low quality, I am not really sure if could categorize it that far above mystery meat. The burgers are similar to what you might get at a company bbq hosted by a business in financial straits; they only taste familiar because of the flavor you get from flame grilling. The steak they serve resembles the other white meat' and after talking to another diner who tried the filet mignon I can safely say that the flavor (and quality) of them are all borderline offensive.
The breakfast buffet is staffed by a crew of really helpful men and women. The food is ok if your only interests are coffee, fruit and cereal. Everything else is either cold and poorly presented. The icing on the cake is the woman making the eggs; this woman treats you, your food and the whole cooking process with so much contempt that I wonder why she is allowed to work here.
At this point neither of us is looking forward to the time when our stomachs tell us that it’s feeding time. We have limited our choices to order the salsa, guacamole and chips and a variation of the chicken club sandwich that they have on the seaside menu, and maybe the salmon.

AND WE STILL HAVE 4 DAYS AND 3 NIGHTS LEFT :-(

I suggest if you come you limit your stay to 3-4 days MAX and be prepared to buy your food off of the resort property.

Unique Quality: The location is picturesque. The beach area is small and mostly rocky but aesthetically pleasing.

Directions: Built on a 900 acre compound with marina and private beaches.

PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

A great Mexican Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 31, 2007

For the price, I would regard this hotel to be possibly one of the best for value for money that I have ever stayed at.

Our stay included Christmas Day but this seemed to have little difference on the overall price of the holiday and the food that night was indeed magnificent with numerous ice sculptures decorating the main tables.

The hotel and grounds are continually being cleaned and as a result, the property is immaculate.

The hotel has four restaurants so cater for most tastes. There is the World cafe which has a fantastic range of buffet breakfasts, lunch and dinner. Oceana, a adults only seafood restaurant by the marina, El Patio serving lunches and Mexican dinners by the pool area, and Da Mario serving Italian foods.

Unique Quality: Apart from being a great hotel there is not a lot that can be described as unique but I would find it hard to find a hotel staff that are more friendly and attentive both in the bars and restuarants

Directions: Drive south down the 307 coast road until you see marker Km 269. The Puerto Adventura sign is well marked to your left on an overhead gantry

Nearby Dreams Puerto Aventuras Tulum

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Tulum

• Sunscape Puerto Aventuras Riviera
  • Sunscape Puerto Adventuras
  • Dreams Hotel Puerto Aventuras
  • Dreams Resort Puerto Aventuras
  • Dreams Puerto Aventuras Hotel Puerto Aventuras

Address: Carretera Chetumal Pto, Km 269 (formerly Sunscape Puerto Aventuras), Riviera Maya, Mexico

5 Photos of Dreams Puerto Aventuras Tulum

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Puerto Aventuras Travel Forum

Need advice about Puerto Aventuras, Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Puerto Aventuras and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Puerto Aventuras hotel reviews