Gran Bahia Principe Coba

Playa Aventuras Akumal, Crtra. Xetumal - Cancun, Km 249, Akumal, Riviera Maya, 77760, Mexico
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Expedia.com BookIt.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Gran Bahia Principe Coba

Mexican style

by jel118981 about Bahia Principe Coba

BP Coba is part of a resort of three 5 stars hotels( BP Tulum, BP Akumal & BP Coba), it doesn't matter in which one you're staying cause you can use the services & faciliites of the others. We stayed in villa 24b, and our room was 32410, a large room with a king-size bed, sofa, balcony and bathroom with jacuzzi!!!!, I think most of the rooms are Junior suites.
Service and food are excellent. Not only you can enjoy a wide variety of bars and restaurants, there are also a lot of installations such as spa, gym, club for chidren, tennis courts, swimmingpools, rent- a- bike...........
The hotel has the "All inclusive system" which includes all the meals, drinks, cocktails and snacks in all the bars and restaurants ( you receive 3 restaurant vouchers per person for a 7-night stay to dine at the thematic restaurants, we chose El Charro, Le Gourmet and El Pescador), as well as towel service, mini bar, water sports without motor, sunbeds, and a great entertaiment program.

Loved the Coba

We stayed at the coba January 13-20. I will admit that i was a little apprehensive about the resort as I read several comments about the resort after I booked our vacation. I think alot of people who complained about services ect. are just way to picky and expected to be waited on hand and foot. When I booked (selloffvacations) I asked where exactly the resort was located and was told that is was not beach front (I was ok with that), as the price was a factor for us.

Air transit was terrible! The seats are not at all comfortable as they say they are especially if you are shorter! The seating is very cramped. We had a late flight and the stewards and stewardess didnt seem to want o be bothered with anyone, they came around with duty free, and I asked if they could come back as I was not finished looking at the brochure, they never did come back! They made sure that we knew that we were economy class. I pre booked our seat selections, on the way to cancun was ok, but the way back it was not what I booked, so I was upset about that.

We arrived in Cancun, going through immigration etc. was fast and efficient. On our way to the buses, air transit had people there to take your luggage to the bus, that was a bonus as we were very tired! On the bus we had a great guide and they stopped for refreshments! It was an hour and 10 minute trip to coba.

As we were staying in the golden club side of coba, we arrived at the coba main lobby and then boarded the shuttle over to the golden club lobby. Dont expect the check in to be fast, especially if you booked this with Air Transit as it seemed everyone was going to the golden club. We arrived shortley after 10:00 in the morning not expecting to have our room until 3:00 in the afternoon. We did have to wait 1 hour and only because we requested to have a king sized bed. Most people were able to get into their rooms right away. I made sure that there were robes in the room before we had our room so that we would not have trouble getting them as I read some people did have problems. We also got our lock for the safety deposit box right away to avoid not getting one.

Yes these resorts are big but never seemed crowded. We did not have any problems finding our way around the resort as you do get a map at check in. The walk to the beach was not at all long, I did think that it would be way longer after reading what others had said about the resort. There are always plenty of beach buses driving around, so you never have to walk much if you dont want to.

We found the service outstanding, these people work very very hard to ensure that your stay is good, every thing is very clean.

There are plenty of pools to choose from, some with a swim up bar, sometimes hard to get a seat up there! there are 2 jacuzzi pools which are quieter and have nice padded lounge chairs, there are 4 pools 2 of which are quieter (the premier pools) and have padded lounge chairs , and the other 2 our for more entertainment and geared towards people who want to have something to do, while hanging around the pool.

The rooms are wonderful and big, the lighting was a little dull, the basket of ammentities was wonderful, however they only restock the lotions, soaps, shampoo, and shower gels, the bathrobes and slippers were also a nice touch. The beds were comfortable, another thing I was worried about after reading the comments of other travellers, and yes the mini bar was always restocked with chips, smaller chocolate bars, juice, water, beer and pop. One day we came back to the room and found it not restocked, so I wrote a note, when we arrived again in a couple of hours it had been restocked and a note with the mans name who restocked it! We also had the towel art everyday! Our room was always nice and cool, they also have nice metal sliding doors outside or the patio doors that you can close to black out your room, nice touch when you want an afternoon siesta! One afternoon the maid came and we had the do not disturb sign on the door, I wanted clean towels so I called down the concierge and they arrived in 15 minutes, the man even asked is we would like our room cleaned (6:30pm)!

The food was outstanding, we enjoyed the both buffets always something different, and at the main buffet there was always a different ice sculpture in the evenings, we were serenaded one evening by a marichi band! Do book your al a carts early as they do fill up. When we booked ours the one restaurant was full, so the front desk manager called there and made special arrangements for us for a seating it was earlier that what we wanted but we got it! Our favorite was arlequine at akumal, it has a nice view of the ocean and the food and service was outstanding, nice selection of foods! Mikado was fun the japanese chef is amazing with his show! The mediterranian was interesting, the tuna was great! Le pescador was good service was slow though, the sword fish was outstanding. The 24 hour snack shops were ok, they did get a little boring as there was always the same things being served.

We enjoyed the music bar, the entertainment was great and service good. We went everynight before the shows, they have menus for all of the cocktails they serve as with most other lounges. There were lots of choices and they will make drinks to order.

The entertainment was great, they were tallented and also had audience paticipation which was always funny. We seen cats, broadway, latino and others. We found the entertainment to be exceptional as did others we talked to.

Beware of the tours, with Air transit you can go the next morning to an information session about the resort, tours etc. We did pay for the tullum tour, dont, it is expensive! It is a half day tour, they provide no refreshments, if you dont want to walk to the site there is transportation in way of a tractor pulling a cart with seats, for an additional fee. Our tour guide was very very hard to understand, he had a thick accent and missing teeth so we never caught alot of what he was saying as with the others on our tour said. They dont give you enough time to check everything out, including the swimming in the ocean that you can do. I suggest taking the collecto van in front of the resort for 2 dollars per person each way and paying 4.50 for the site fee. Also they will try to collect 3.00 for video cameras, as they will tell you it is for the government, we later found out that the government does not collect taxes. This happened on both of your tours.

The other tour was the coba jungle safari, this is worth the money, we had an excellent guide (a mayan himself), they take you to a mayan village, then on the coba pyrimid, lunch, lots of refereshements, and then to the celentes (underground swimming cavern. This takes all day. At the coba site do take the coba limousine, as it can be exhausting especially if it is hot and you plan to climb the pyrimid, it is 7.50 both ways and 5.00 one way.

If you want to go into playa del carmen, take the collecto vans again, it is cheapest. We also found the souviners etc. to be cheapest here, cheaper the tullum, the hacienda etc. And if time permits take the farry to Cozumel.

All in all we loved it a gran bahia principe coba, it is wonderful and we were taken care of here, we felt safe and the people work very hard here. We would recommend it to anyone!

Great Time at Coba

by TripAdvisor Member Barstool_Prophet25

I'll start by saying we had a great time at the Bahia Principe Coba in Mexico. I would recommend this resort.
I won't cover what everyone else has already stated, I'll try to cover some of the things that were missing.

Restaurants:
I won't go into detail about each restaurant, as multiple other users have done it already, but here are a few tips.
1 - When you arrive, in your package you will have a list of the a la cartes. You are to pick a day\time and drop it off at the Public Relations area beside the check in. Do this early. We did it after the meet & greet with our rep, and it took quite a long time to book (1.5+ Hours) and some were sold out.
2 - The Mikado (Japenese Restaurant) is a must
3 - If you book on Thursday at the Oriental Restaurant (Located at the Hacienda) there is a Mexican show that you need tickets for. Might be worth doing both that night.
4 - Some of the restaurants are at Coba, some are at the other two resorts, keep this in mind when booking. You may have to hop a golf cart ride to get there

Excursions:
Here's a partial list of what is available from reps at the resort:
1.Tulum\Xel-Ha - Daily - 109 US
2.Xel-Ha (AI)- Daily - 87 US
3.Tulum Half Day - Tues\Thurs\Sat - 38 US
4.Chitchen Itza Deluxe - Mon\Wed\Fri - 79 US
5.Caribean Funday - Mon-Fri - 67 US
6.ATV & Speedboat - Mon-Sat - 69 US
7.Dolphin Swim - Daily - Price Varies
8.Xcaret - Mon-Sat - 85 US

I would suggest going to Xel-Ha, it's a nature park with snorkeling, cliff jumping, tube rides down the river etc (----). YOu can do the half day there and Tulum (ruins), but I think you will run out of time. You need almost a full day at Xel-Ha. Take the collectivos (See below) to Xel-Ha, it will save you on transportation costs.

Just an FYI - If you go into Playa Del Carmen, you can save quite a bit of money by booking in town, then from booking at the resort from the reps.

Also, take the Collectivos (communal vans) everywhere you go. They are safe, and cost only 2 US. IF you take a cab, it will cost you quite a bit, and will not get you there really any faster. This goes for tours as well. Just take the Red Ford (modified truck) with seats to the Hacienda, and walk to the highway. YOu will see the white vans, just flag one down.

Beach:
You can take several different golf carts to different beaches (Coba, Tulum & Akumal), but we had red flags most days, and it's a rocky shoreline. Tulum is the furthest beach, coba closer and smaller.
Waves at the coba beach were smaller, but it is shallow water and you cannot go past the markers.

If you take the collectivo to Xel-Ha there is a beach just before that, which is a lot better.

Food:
Never had any issues with any of the food either at the buffet or a la cartes.
The main buffet service is a little slow, sometimes you need to track someone down for some coffee in the morning, but beyond that, pretty good.

People that were just amazing at the resort are:
Francesco (Coba Pool Bar) likes Canadian smokes, so bring some along for tips
Luis (Coba Beach bar with Swings)
Carlos (Server at Coba Main buffet)
Julien (Server at Coba Main Buffet)
These guys are great, tip them well.

Don't really have any cons to the resort, maybe that it's not directly on the beach, but this is not much of an issue due to the carts that go by frequently and drive you to the beach.

That's all I can think of, if you have any questions, feel free to email me, and I'll try my best to answer it.
Thanks.

Had a blast at the Coba!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member cobacrazy

This will be a detailed review.

Myself and my partner ( 29 and 33)just returned from our one week stay at the Bahia Principe Coba Club Golden.( Jan 19-26) I found it very difficult to find any info on this resort so I felt compelled to help out others who may be in the same boat.

Flight:
We flew air transat and felt it was an excellent experience overall. Compared to the huge line ups for skyservice( Signature, Sunquest etc) Air transat was very quick and organized which makes all the difference when you travel. The plane was new and the seats were leather and comfy. You do not get a whole lot of space so if you're a taller person you might be uncomfortable. The flight is only 3.5 hours so it's not so bad.

Rooms:
We stayed in villa 6 in the club golden section of the coba. The rooms were big, clean and beautiful.We had a king sized bed which was firm but we slept well. The sheets were crisp and white which made us feel very comfortable. There was tons of space and the bathroon was huge, clean and very impressive. We were extremely happy with our location. We had a great view of the jungle from our balcony and spent a lot of time out there drinking coffee in the morning and coco bananas in the evening...so yummy!! We tipped the maid everyday and felt that overall things were kept very neat and tidy. The mini bar was stocked o.k....coud have used more water from time to time.

Food:
On a whole we thought the food was good. We always ate at the smaller Coba buffet called the Cozumel for breakfast and lunch. It had a great atmosphere, cool, and never very busy. From reading other reviews we stayed away from the main buffet (Kulculcan). We had family of ours staying at the Tulum resort so we tried their main buffet a couple of times. We enjoyed that there was more choice but the atmosphere wasn't as nice in our opinion. We had the Oriental, Frutus Del mar, Mikado, and El charro for our 4 A la cartes. We enjoyed the Oriental and Mikado the best. The rest were average to poor. Our friends tried the Tequila and liked it.

Beach and Pools:

Myself and my partner were aware of the fact that the Coba was not beachfront. I can understand how it could start your vacation off on the wrong foot if you had not known this. I think all things are relative to each persons own experiences. We like to run 5 km everyday so a short.. and I mean short walk to the beach made no difference to us.It was a 5 minute stroll from our villa to the beach and took between 10-15 min max to get to the spot where we liked to be closer to the Tulum resort. We enjoyed the walks and felt that previous reviews suggesting a 15 minute walk from the coba to the beach were misleading. The pools at the Coba are beautiful although we did not use them once. We prefered the beach. As you have read before it is tricky getting in the water due to the rocks but once you get past them it's all sand. It was windy during our stay so there were a lot of waves. The water was a gorgeous color and it felt like more of a vacation to us to be in the sand near the water. You will not be disappointed by the pools if you like to hang there.

It worked out well for us that the resort was on the larger side as we got a good 4 km run in each morning which would not have been possible at a smaller resort. We actually felt like we got a lot more out of the vacation because we saw and used so much of all 3 resorts. Warning: We had a pair of sunglasses stolen from our sunchair on the beach while we were in the water. Lesson learned. I also had some clothing stolen from my suitcase while we were out to dinner one night. I suggest you lock your cloths in your suitcase and always use your safe for your valuables.

Night life:

We usually did dinner then lobby bar then disco. Had piles of fun although I thought the music could have been a lot better and that they should have started things off at the disco a lot earlier... maybe with some latin dancing...getting guests involved etc... everything was pretty slow until well after 12:00 and I never once saw any of the entertainment crew at the disco.

Weather:

The temperatures were excellent in the mid twenties to low thirties during the day and low to mid twenties during the night. Always a warm breeze. We never had to wear a sweater at night which made up for the fact that we got so much rain. Yes, that part was a bummer. Usually we were on the beach from 9:00 until 1:00, mostly sunny at this time but at times overcast but still warm so we stayed put. There were only 2 days that we didn't get rain during the afternoon, and at least three nights it poured. It made it difficult to get around because all of their floors are marble so there were women in heels going down left right and centre. Not so fun. The shuttle services are very organized and they have rain covers so going from a to b was not an issue.

Overall:

This resort is grand and gorgeous. You really feel like you are at a 5 star because everything is so clean and well kept. There is marble everywhere. The bathrooms are kept very clean and the grounds are as well. The service on a whole was good although the room service thing is a bit of a joke. I usually had to call several times if we needed something in our room. We also felt that it was a bit Americanized. When we travel we like to experience the music/food of the place that we are visiting. There was very little of the Mexican culture infused in the food or the music here. I could have done with a little more of their music and a little less bon jovi/acdc etc.

We loved our trip, hope you have great time. Keep an open mind and treat everyone with respect, they work hard and put up with a lot from some visitors.

The best local Mayan food around.

by NormRoy about Hotel Bocadito, Coba, Mexico

Great food!. The rooms are about $10.00 a night. Nothing special about the rooms. Twin beds, ceiling fan, cold showers. The owner is really nice and interestign to talk to. The food is great. Real close (a 10 minute walk) to the entrance to the Coba Ruins. The local people, mostly native maya, a realy interesting to talk to. Particularly the children.

Coba

by harmlessphil

The ruins are pretty good (still too many fat Americans from cancun) in a jungle setting next to a really nice lake (walk around but don't swim). Where the bus drops you of is a restaurant/hotel Bocadito which is fine,cheap and gives you the opportunity to get to the ruins before the coach tours.

There is a club med place on the lake (don't be stupid and stay there) walk in just to wander on their jetty for the view.

A fabulous vacation at the Coba!!

by TripAdvisor Member Chel24

Overall: My husband and I stayed at the Coba (golden club) from January 18th to 25th with our 6 month old son and we had an outstanding vacation. I agree with the others that have said if you don't like this resort you won't be satisfied with anything. I have travelled extensively and this is one of the best resorts. Nothing is perfect but if you just relax and enjoy what is given to you you will have a fabulous time.

Hotel Transfer and Check-in:
Air Transat was fine..cramped but hey you pay less than with Air Canada so what do you want?
The ride from the airport was about 80 minutes and check-in was a dream beginning with a welcome drink upon arrival. We were part of the Golden Club so we had a separate check-in. It went very quick and rooms were ready upon arrival at approximately 3pm.

Rooms:

I had requested a room on the 3rd floor but luckily for me the hotel had the foresite to put us on the ground floor since there are no elevators and it would have been a hassle with stroller. We were in villa 5 near the smaller Iguana pool and it was nice and quiet. The rooms were absolutely gorgeous…brand new, all marble, beds were firm and I liked that. Everything was clean and spotless…very few bugs all week except a few of those tiny caterpillers. Yes the bathroom was a bit dim but it was no big deal. The jacuzzi was great. We received complimentary beach towels, robes and everything that was supposed to be included. Whatever kinks needed to be worked out at the Coba have been – it was up and running in style.

Location:

The Coba resort is about an 8 minute walk to the beach but there are shuttles. We preferred the walk since it was handy taking the baby for a walk in the stroller. We actually preferred the location since you feel almost as if you are living in a small community rather than part of a hotel. It is very quiet and perfect for families. There are numerous pools in close proximity and restauarants as well. The grounds are immaculate and clean.

Food:
Overall the food was very good. There are 2 buffets at Coba - a large one Kulculcan and a small one Cozumel. There is more selection at Kulculcan but the service is much better at Cozumel especially at night (Ask for Rigoberto –he’s great! ) The food and selection were quite good although breakfast and lunch do get a bit redundant after a week. Dinner had more variety. We also tried the large buffet at Akumel and it was similar to Kulculcan

A la carte: We had 4 choices as part of the Golden club and we chose both seafood restaurants, the Gourmet international and Mikado (japanese). All were excellent especially Mikado and Gourmet! The 2 seafood are pretty much the same but both good. Definitely book your restaurants asap and try different combinations of nights to get the time you want. On weekends the Gourmet was busy but we managed to get it on a Monday night no problem. Also, if you go for Mikado try and get the early reservations at either 5:30pm or 7:00pm. We met a few people who had the 8:30pm reservations and they had to wait a long time and apparently they had run out of dessert selections.
Drinks were pretty good and they had a lot of variety. I especially liked the flavoured Tequila and Porto! The only disappointment was that most of the fruity drinks were made from mixes and didn’t taste that authentic..with the exception of drinks containing bananas. I noticed they always put real bananas in them. My husband liked the beer and we found the house wines quite good too.

Beach:
I thought the beach was fine especially between Akumal and Tulum. You do not need water shoes unless your feet are hyper sensitive. I saw kids everywhere in the water without them. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas. Yes you need to come before 9am to grab a top spot but you can always find chairs and sun cover if you look enough but maybe not prime time location. It is a bit crowded but there is still plenty of space. The water at the time was a bit cold but when we were there it was very humid so it was nice to take a refreshing, although short, dip.

The pools are numerous and all very beautiful. Plenty of chairs. The Coba pools have a bit less animation. There are smaller pools that are more quiet…again something for everyone. Yes they are quite cool though.

Shows/Entertainment:

With a small baby we didn’t see any shows or entertainment although friends of ours found the animation staff to be excellent and the shows entertaining if a little cheesy. They didn’t care too much for the discotheque but the live music in some of the lounges was great. Personally I noticed that this was more of a family or couples resort so if you are going for a big party place with lots of singles to hook up with I don’t think this is it. Although the resort is huge so there is something for everyone. You can definitely have a great time. I was told that the main pool at Tulum was the most fun with all the activities.

Service:

Overall, the service was outstanding. I have been to other resorts in Cuba and Dominican Republic and nothing could compare to the hospitality of the Mexican people. Everywhere you went people said Hola and were so friendly. There are people working eveyrwhere on the resort to keep it clean…polishing marble, cutting grass, trimming hedges…it was impressive. The cleaning person always filled our mini-bar and made nice decorative towel art. In addition one day a light was fused in the bathroom and someone came to fix it without us even complaining about it. I suppose the cleaning person noticed. The only slight lacking in service was in the larger buffets when it was crowded. Sometimes the service was slow. The service in the a la carte, however, was always excellent. We tipped whenever we had good service but it is not necessary.

Negative points:
The only major complaint and the only reason I would rate the hotel a 4.5 instead of a 5 would be the sound proofing of the rooms. It is true that you can hear a lot from the hallway and the other rooms. We were lucky to have quiet neighbours but we did hear other people complain about noise. Definitely bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper and if you want to get in a daytime nap..especially if you are located near a bigger pool with music.

For Families:
Just a note that this is a perfect resort for families of young children. The resort is massive and this allows you to find quiet areas if you like. We enjoyed taking the baby for walks around the grounds in the stroller and relaxing at the quieter pools. The restaurants, except the large buffets because of live music, were perfect for sleeping babies. The staff were attentive to our needs and we never had a single problem.

Overall it was a terrific vacation and I highly recommend this resort. It most certainly a 5 star resort..I have been to 2 or 3 star resort and trust me, this is top quality.

EXCELLENT RESORT

by TripAdvisor Member ruda

We have been in Bahia Coba for a week ending 01/23/06 and we really liked it. Check in was very fast, after some misunderstanding, but this can happen anywhere. Service at buffet restaurants was very friendly although not as quick as some might expect, but there is no rush you are on vacation. Ala carte restaurants are very good, we recommend Japanese and French restaurant, and remember to reserve them as soon as possible when you arrive. Most service people at the resort speak English or some English, but you will probably not carry out conversation with them since they are mostly "language qualified" in what they do (drinks, for example), but hey if that is a problem to you you should learn Spanish before going. The resort is huge, it consists of three seperate lobbies and the newest one is Coba, they give you a map but when you follow it you really go around too much, there is shortcuts you can take and then everything seems very close, but do remeber to bring comfortable shoes. Of course, they have little carts which drive around the resort for your comfort, but when you find your way, you will find that you can get there faster on foot. Room was clean and the maid did her best everyday. Food was good and very good at ala carte restaurants. As for drinks, don't expect too much, they pour liquors from the lower shelves, but it is not diiferent from any other all inclusive hotel. The beach was alright, it could be better but I guess we went after Wilma so they are still working on it; same is true for plants around Coba, the hotel is new and the hurricane did not help them much. The only bugs we saw were some flies and that was by the pools and only because people spill food and drinks around
Overall we had a great vacation and I honestly recommend this hotel. Just remember that when you go to any hotel in any destination you just have to remember that you are on vacation, relax, don't expect too much and just enjoy all you can, breathe in the sea, the sand, the glorious weather, after all vacations do not last forever but memories do.

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member cdnjaime

Hola!! Hi all…My husband and I just returned from Bahia Coba on Jan 14 and we had a great time!! This was our second time to the Mayan Riviera, first time was at the Barcelo…If you’re looking for a DETAILED report, tune in – because I have a feeling this is going to be a long one, lol!!

FLIGHT: Skyservice and Signature Vacations…An early AM departure out of Toronto meant us leaving our house at 230AM and only making it to our resort at noon! So, a very long day indeed! The flight was uneventful and we actually landed in Cancun ahead of schedule. But after LONG custom lines and waiting for our luggage the early arrival really made no difference. We made our way to NACHOS, the grand luxury bus taking us to our resort. There were no cold Coronas waiting for us, but our rep let us get off the bus and go buy some from the vendors outside…The drive took about 1.5 hours.

CHECK IN: Our bus was filled with Tulum & Coba guests, and we went to the Tulum side first. There was a mix up and our rep told them to check in at Coba in the meantime. (We later found out that Tulum overbooked and that those people stayed at Coba for 3 days then moved to Tulum) NOTE: If you’re on an early flight like us, pack your swim suit in your carry on!! We got there at noon, were told check in was at 2, then 3, then finally at 4pm we got our room! They give you the bracelets right away, so we ventured off to explore and eat…but it would have been nice NOT to be in long pants J We were in 33023, a nice villa near both pools and a short walk from either buffet.

HOTEL: BEAUTIFUL!! This place is gorgeous, and SO clean it’s AMAZING!! Take a real good look around. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING has the BAHIA SUN LOGO on it. We couldn’t believe how much branding they do there…

ROOM: Fantastic!! They’re BIG, CLEAN and really nice. The beds ARE firm as others have stated, but you can request a piece of foam to make it softer. After being in the sun all day, having a few (sometimes more) drinks – at the end of the day, I could have curled up on the tile and slept…so they didn’t really bother us. The housecleaning on the other hand…Well, that’s probably our biggest complaint and its not that huge. We are NOT picky people, when we checked in the room was immaculate! Fancy curtains, bed and even shower curtain!! We brought lot’s of gifts from home (pens, notepads, hair clips etc) and left them all over the room daily, and I am telling you it made NO difference in service. Nothing was consistent…One day we had no towels, the next no shampoo. One day a bedspread, the next day it was rolled up on the couch. Half way through, we left MONEY AND GIFTS, and they took the money and left the presents!?!?!?! They had the cart outside our door when we needed shampoo, so Darryl went and took 5. Next day, they took back 4 and left us one, lol!!! We met lot’s of people in the same boat. A bunch of friends were staying in the same villa and they all agreed to leave the same tip daily. One couple got towel swans and Kleenex flowers and the other couple nothing…So at least we weren’t the only ones. I think it’s because they are still SO new…that they’re still getting used to their duties and what’s supposed to happen. Maybe our person didn’t know how to make it fancy. In the end – it was clean and I guess that’s what really mattered!!

POOLS: AWESOME! There are 2, one quiet (no music), one loud…which just means there is music going all day and the entertainment group is there getting people to join in things like Tequila volley ball, BINGO and dance lessons. If you don’t want to participate you didn’t have to…but this is where we hung out. Wasn’t too loud, we liked it because of the music. The pool bar is great too!!! They’ll make anything up for you there…there is also 2 jacuzzi pools…these are cool! 3 jacuzzi’s in one making a swirling mini pool. They each have their own bar, but fill up pretty fast.

FOOD: GREAT! Two buffets on Coba’s side; one is the Kukulcan (bigger)and the other is Cozumel. Both serve the same stuff…But we ate at both to mix it up. There are themes every night…and there is LOT’s of variety. Even the pickiest of eaters could find something they like there. My personal fave was the Mexican sauce, I put it on everything (home made salsa) and made to order pasta!! There are also 2 24-hour snack bars by each pool…nuggets, pizza, fries etc. We ate there if we missed breakfast and late at night if we were still hungry.
A LA CARTES: 2 out of 3 ain’t bad J Medditerranean – no good. As said above, we’re not picky and my husband will eat anything and we ended up going to the buffet afterwards, lol! Gourmet was AMAZING – but be forewarned the portions are TINY!!!!!!!! Our fave was TEQUILA, the Mexican a la carte over at Tulum. Food, service and atmosphere were good, and it’s RIGHT on the beach, so you get a nice view too!!!

BARS: All good – definitely NOT watered down. You see them crack the bottles right there, and they pour like no tomorrow. There are bar menus at all of them, but if you ask they can pretty much make anything you like. Hubby’s fave was Mexican Sombraro, and I liked anything frozen – try the MUDSLIDE at the pool bar J It’s probably a million calories but delish! Our fave was the MUSIC BAR near the lobby, live band every night…and dancing!

ENTERTAINMENT: They have a pretty good group at Coba. There seems like there is always something going on, even when it rained, they were in the lobby in 2 minutes handing out board games and cards. The nightly shows were okay. Hubby didn’t like them, I think one person said cheesy and they were. I peeked my head in every night though just to make sure we weren’t missing anything, lol! Every Thursday they have a Mexican show at the Hacienda…you have to pay to get in, and due to others reviews we opted out. We thought that there wasn’t going to be anything else offered, but the Music bar was still hoppin, so we just hung out there.

HACIENDA: This is a section at the front of all 3 properties, where they have the disco (which only starts at mid-night) sports bar and little shops. We checked it out one night and it was fun…live entertainment outside, then when that was over the disco opens. We’re young (25 & 27) and like to have a good time, but the disco was SO LOUD you couldn’t even talk….the crowd the night we went seemed to be the 18-20 years old…probably traveling with their parents and this was their outlet every night, lol!! We stayed for a bit though.

TRIPS OUT: We met with our Signature reps the second day and they told us all the hot spots. They give you a sheet and if you want to book anything, you mark it off with your name and room number, go back later that afternoon and sign up/pay. We did the Tulum ruins, ½ day trip. If you want to see an AWESOME beach go here – it’s beautiful!!!!! The second trip was our Swim with the Dolphins! AMAZING!!!! It’s offered at many places but Dolphin Discovery is supposed to be the best…It was pricey - $129 for the Royal Swim, but its something we’ve wanted to do every trip and never did! AMAZING!!! The last thing we did was the Pub Crawl. SUPER FUN! Signature arranges it, (our reps were AWESOME!!) $50, Bus ride to and from Play del Carmen, VIP entrance and all you can drink. There were 2 buses of us, so about 80 people and it was a riot!!! The first bar was called Carlos and Charlie’s and I would have liked to stay there all night it was SO fun – pub style, dancing and the bartenders get you to do whacky things. NOTE: Tequila flows like water here so be prepared, the shots are never ending!!! Then we went to the Mambo Café…Big bar, with a 12 piece Latin Band. It was very cool!!! Highly recommend it if you’re looking for a good time off the resort, it’s totally safe and a FANTASTIC time. The next day however, was a different story, lol! I never want to see Jose Quervo again!!

CHECK-OUT: Okay. We were leaving early 620am to head for the airport, so our rep suggested checking out the night before. We went down to the front desk at 1020pm and they wouldn’t let us check out. Apparently, they close at 10pm. Darryl said “it’s the front desk, are you not open 24hrs?” The answer was yes, but not to check out. I am not sure if this was true…I mean, you would think they’d be able to do it?? My guess is that again, with them being so new, with newly trained staff etc. maybe this guy didn’t know he could? Not too sure…It didn’t matter that much in the morning as we were up early enough to avoid a line. The actual departure from the Cancun Airport was a DISASTER...before we arrived the rep on the bus said there are 4 Skyservice flights out that morning, no problem, just get in the line, doesn’t matter which because any agent can take you. The departure board also showed a 3hr delay…then there was mad chaos, airport staff and Signature reps were saying, you go here, you go there, one line here etc, trying to rush us through. Nobody knew where they were going, and finally we asked why there was such a rush when our flight was so late – turned out it was earlier than planned (as were the rest) and they needed us to get through ASAP!!!! We finally made it to the terminal with a few moments to spare, but by god, getting there was hell. If you’re leaving on a Saturday, be prepared – although it could have just been our luck that day too.

Anyways…I think I have covered everything, if anything I may have gone overboard. Was a great week away – Absolutely! Would we go back – probably not, but not because of the service or anything but because I would love to try somewhere new…(Mayan Riviera though is still TOPS on my list!!)

Met high expectations...

by TripAdvisor Member jaytee44

There are many very detailed reviews so I'll keep mine as brief as I can. It's a very large complex but nobody says you have to visit anything beyond your own immediate Coba resort complex. The carts whisk you back and forth from the beach in a jiffy. Staff is extremely friendly, food is great and it's a very clean and beautiful property. A la Cartes are very nice - especially Mikado. Buffets are very nice. It's tough to complain about anything and I suppose if I had to find something to say I'd suggest that being so large, it's tough to find staff that you'll actually get to know during your stay. Not a big deal since I didn't go there to make lifelong friends with the workers. They remain anonymous to you but are extremely friendly. Oh, and our housekeeper did not make us any swans or anything even though we tipped the first day. Our friends got tons of nice extras like swans and special towel figurines. We just moved them into our room to give our housekeeper a hint and then she finally made us an elephant! No vendors on the beach and no timeshare sales pitches. A GREAT VACATION. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Cenote at Coba, MexicoCenote at Coba, Mexico

Nicte-Ha, in Coba, MexicoNicte-Ha, in Coba, Mexico

Coba, Mexico's tallestCoba, Mexico's tallest

Old and In the Way - Coba, MexicoOld and In the Way - Coba, Mexico

Vaccinations

by Colz_83

How many people went to Mexico without getting Hep A or B vaccinations? I had my Hep B about 12 years ago but have not been planning on getting my vaccinations. We are staying at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal in Mayan Riviera. It is a 4.5 star. The water and ice cubes have a filtration system. I know, it just takes one ice cube, on contaminet, etc. I would just like to know what other people did.

by madamx

I got my hep A; you can also get it from the people preparing the food.

by Etoile2B

I lived in Mexico and traveled all around about 15 years ago and never got a Hep vaccination. I finally got my Hep vaccines (A & B) done last year. And they're supposed to be a lifetime so you don't have to get them done again once you're done with the cycle. At least that's my understanding. As with anything there is always a risk, but I came out fine.

by gfinesilver

i've been with and without both vaccinations. without when i was young. you're probably less likely to get hep A at the bahia principe than in some places in europe/US/canada/etc. but you never know.

by Kakapo2

It is like with questions about safety in certain areas etc. Most travellers will tell you that they were fine without getting vaccinations, that they were not assaulted, their car not broken into etc. However, it can happen, so I would take the precautions. And by the way, it is good to have those vaccinations, even at home, as you can get in touch with infected people everywhere.

by Jawnuta

We didn't have any vaccinations.
We stayed in no star hotel in fishing village. We ate raw fish preserved in lime juice. WE ate everything else MExican people gave us to eat. WE never asked about ice cubes or any kind of bacteria killing stuff.
WE were chosing the restaurants where tourists did not go, as we like authentic food.
They only sick people we ever met were those who stayed in large resorts. IT is the same thing that happens on the cruises. Once one person get sick the whole resort kiks the bucket.....or rather dive into toilet bawl with two ends at the same time.
So, really....bring some purell with you and wash your hands more often than you normally do, and helpfully all people who arrive at your hotel will not be bringing anything "extra" with them.

Yucatan Peninsula, Coba

by MikeySoft

I will be arriving in Cancun on March 1 and renting a car for 10 days. I'm thinking of driving to Coba the first day, spending the first night and see the ruins the next day. Then drive to Valladolid for about 2 nights then to Merida.

My question is: Can anyone recommend a hotel in or around Coba? I'm looking for a clean place with private restroom. It does not have to be fancy but clean with private shower or bath.

Do you also suggest making reservations or should I just show up? The price should be what is for this type of commendation.

All addition suggestions for my trip are also welcome.

Thanks

Re: Yucatan Peninsula, Coba

by gfinesilver

if you are renting a car then i wouldn't recommend staying in coba. there just isn't anything there. better to continue on to valladolid the same day. and, as it seems you are interested in ruins, from valladolid definitely hit up the ruins at Ek Balaam. very cool.

and if you are really interested in ruins, since you have a car, you can head down to Kalakmul and that area in southern campeche near the guatemala border. it is the most important set of ruins historically in the mexican mayan region and only accessible by car.

Re: Yucatan Peninsula, Coba

by MikeySoft

Thanks, I found some pictures of the area and I see what you mean.

Which Hotel/Area?

by zebedeepink

Hi

I'm planning a holiday to Mexico for summer 2007 and am really torn between 2 hotels; the Riu Cancun and the Gran Bahia Principe at Tulum. Both hotels look fabulous and most of the reviews I have read on both of them are excellent. My ideal holiday is lounging around the pool/beach and reading during the day, with the odd excursion and eating/drinking out at night, but my husband prefers to be more active during the day and doesn't like sunbathing much. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are going for 2 weeks.

Many thanks