Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Carretera Federal Puerto Juarez - Chetumal km. 256 - 100, Kantenah, (formerly Kantenah Fiesta Grand
Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

PALLADIUM GRAND KANTENAH RESORT

by TURISTMANIA about RESORT

I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL ,BECAUSE IT IS EXCELENT

THE STAFF IS VERY FRIENDLY AND THE SERVICE IS VERY WELL

THIS HOTEL IS HUGE BUT IT IS EASY TO MOVE ENTERED THE DIFERENT SPACES OF THE HOTEL THE ROOMS ARE CLEAN AND SPACIOUS

THE RESTAURANTS PROPOSE A VERY GOOD BUFFET AND VERY VARIED

THE BEACH IS VERY BIG AND LONG

THEY ARE SO MANY POOLS IN THIS RESORT

Wonderful Getaway

Just returned April 5 from a wonderful week's stay at the Fiesta Grand Resort & Spa (Kantenah side). Upon arrival we stepped into a very large, beautifully decorated marble reception area where we literally had no wait at all to check in. We could not find fault with a single thing during our stay. We both love to walk and winding our way through the pathways that are cut out of the jungle was a delight. Our room location was excellent (building 6, third floor). We left the maid a daily tip of a couple of US dollars and would return to the room to find our towels made into swans and different animals. A little goes a long way here. No complaints with the hair dryer in the room - yes you have to hold a button down but it is no problem at all. The beach was great and there are some coral and small rocks in certain places in the water but the only thing you need is an inexpensive pair of aquatic shoes which you can purchase at almost any Walmark, K-Mart or Zellers. You can get drinks at the beach bar but if you wanted to take bottled water to the beach from your room fridge you might want to bring a small insulated bag to put it in. We met with our rep the morning after arrival and booked a couple of day tours. We can highly recommend the Coba Pac-Chen tour. It's an adventure of a lifetime and well worth the money (US$87.00). You will visit a pyramid, have lunch at a local restaurant, do a zip line and do repelling in the jungle among other things. It was very exciting and a lot of fun. The other day trip we did was the Aquatic Expedition tour where we visited three different places and snorkelled in each place. This was a very enjoyable day (made even more so by our guide Emilio who was very humourous). For both these tours the tour operators recommended that we use biodegradable suntan lotion or wear a shirt in the water. We were unable to find biodegradable lotion at home so we purchased it in the shop at the hotel for approx. US$12.00. We ate at three of the a-la-carte restat the Japanese restaurant was a lot of fun. The buffet restaurants were excellent as well. We would highly recommend this destination to anyone!

5 Star at great value for $$

Stayed on the Kantenah side from June 8th-15th ,2003 and was afraid of the rainy season but got 7 days of sunny hot 36 degrees weather!!! This is an amazing place THE GOOD: 1. Food in general is top notch * or course some stuff look strange and you don't touch but a resort that serves Gigantic prawns and smoke salmon in the buffets is good in my books. Desserts are very good * moist cakes, somewhat sweet but not overpowering. 2. Excellent cappuccinos and expressos (house wine is fair) 3. Genuinely friendly workers (this is sometimes hard to come by) 4. Huge pool with 4 columned off jacuzzis and a swim up bar. Smaller private pools in the spa or adult pool area- great if you want the feeling privacy. 5. The beach is nice with turquoise water 6. Plenty of lounges and papulas (pool and beach) 7. Snorkeling off the beach is ok but not the greatest 8. Steakhouse and Italian a la cartes were very good 9. Proximity to Tulum/Akumal/PDC/ Xel ha THE NOT SO GOOD (MINOR): 1. The Japanese a la carte was pretty bad despite a good show by the teppanyaki chef. Worst tempura I've tasted. The sashimi was so thinly slices * paper thin and the tuna looked BROWN. The negiri was 4 diff pieces to be shared by 8 people. The teppanyaki was not very authentic but they did give you enough to eat. 2. There is only one towel place which made it a pain to get if you use the beach or smaller pools 3. The main pool's water a little salty 4. Mini bar is stocked only every other day. HINTS: 1. Email the resort ahead and request what you want. (eg King bed (very few rooms with it), Tub, 3rd floor, and an ocean view). I did and got everything I asked for!!!! 2. Grab international drinks from Hemingway and bring it to the cigar bar or the lobby instead of drinking the inferior booze. 3. If you want the best beach go to the Kantenah side as the sand is better and there are no rocks upon entering the water, just fine sand. Bonus is nobody is over there as everyone hovers in clusters around the beach near the bar/pool i.e. the Colonial side. 4. Snorkel early in the morning (approx. 8-10am) if the tides / wave are high as the water is calmer and visibility is better. 5. Book the a la cartes right away. Arrange your a la cartes based on the buffet themes you'd like to skip. Go for the later sittings as you get more pool time! 6. Do yourself a favor and use 45 SPF sunblock. The sun is brutal. Fifteen minutes and you are toast. 80% of the people had 4th degree burns. I used 45 SPF and still got slightly burnt - and I sat in the shade all the time!!! EXCURSIONS Off the Resort: You can do virtually any excursions on your Take the Collectivo white mini vans (red/orange striped) to almost anywhere as its cheap, convenient, efficient, safe and most, important air conditioned. SCUBA COZUMEL (full day) (15 Peso to PDC then 146 Peso (return) for Hydrofoil. It'll cost you about $60 for 2 dives. Dove at Santa Rosa Wall but current was too strong and we lost a few members as they got swept away. It was next to impossible to swim against the current as I swam to shelter in a cave your air disappears quickly. Really scary. Everyone had to surface and we realized that we had one missing party member. Search of the missing person took 20 mins. Everyone was freaked!!! They finally got spotted very far away. Used remaining air to do a quick 20 min dive on Chancanab Reef. Clear visibility, shallow dive 40-50 ft with baraccudas, lobster, moray eels and lots of other marine life. There is also a sunken vessel nearby. Second dive was Paraiso Reef. Extensive reef with lots of marine life. Very colourful and relaxing drift dive in a slow current. Nicer than Chancanab. TULUM (1/2 day)(15 Pesos * 15-20 min) 10 min walk from highway (no need to take the tram for 15 peso Entrance free 37 Peso/person and video camera is 30 Peso Bring bathing suit as there's a nice beach * you'll need it after the heat Lots of water is essential as it's stifling hot . You can listen in to all the other guides and take your time. There are signs with explanations of the major buildings. PLAYA Del CARMEN (1/2 day) (15 Pesos * 20-25 min) No brainer ride from the resort Collective drops you off near Main street - 5th Ave The beach is there and so are all the souvenir shops selling much of the same stuff. Most places have fixed prices so its good as you won't get ripped off as much as if you bought from a market or unmarked item. T-shirt stores abound at $8 US for most designs. A 980 litre of Kaluaha is $8.50 US but is only $8.00 at a COSTCO like superstore which is 10-15 walk from centro by the highway called Chauradu (big orange building). Good place to buy stuff at good prices (reg clothing/beach stuff/Tequila/groceries etc). YAL KU LAGOON (AKUMAL) (1/2 day) (10 Pesos * 5 min) Take Collectivo and say you want to get off at Akumal Caribe or the Playa in Akumal and walk 5 min into town then from town you must continue towards the lagoon via a road passing by lots of villa/condos (approx 15 min) Try to hitch a ride if any car passes by Entrance fee is 60 Peso into the park (8:30am -5:30pm) Go early in the morning no one is there plus visibility is better in the water Buy biodegradable sunblock at home * much cheaper and bring a T shirt to snorkel in otherwise you will burn. (can't use regular sunblock as it kills the fish) Bring a towel and water no need to rent lockers as it's pretty safe and low key there. If you choose, lockers are avail and showers 10 Pesos You can rent snorkel equip there or in Akumal town at the dive shop for 50 Peso (snorkel & mask) 40 more pesos for Fin for all day. Hint: bring some banana to feed the Sergaent Major (black stripe with yellow) fish. They go crazy (hundreds will eat off your hand) Lots of boulder and caverns under the lagoon. Very calm water. Its like you are snorkeling in a canyon/cave. Really cool and strange as it's fresh water. You will see huge parrot fish/angelfish/yellow or blue tangs/surgeon fish/gunts/sea bass and even a barracuda or turtle if you are lucky. You can venture further out toward the bay where the water meets the sea and gets saltier and there are normal reefs. The water is a little rougher there. Bonus same as Xel Ha but without all the tourist and Disneyland atmosphere. Great if you just want to do snorkeling without all the other stuff without the hoards of crowds of Xel ha (which cost $25 US to get in or $53 for all inclusive) Yal Ku Lagoon is still undiscovered so it was great!!!! To summarize this is an amazing resort and given the price it's even better. Excellent value for money and I would pay even more but I got a great deal last minute. Go away at the end of May or beginning of June or beginning of Dec as less people and better prices. If you have any question you can contact me at namabeer@hotmail.com

Loved it!!

The resort is beautiful!! This is the third resort I have visited in Mexico. The Palladium takes the cake. The resort was amaxing. Everything was outstanding. The atmosphere was first class. We can't stop talking about our visit. The food and service were top notch. We highly recommend this resort for anyone who is looking for a place to relax in sunny Mexico. The resort is located about an hour south of the airport, but is well worth the drive. It is still convenient to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. We stayed for 7 nights and were definitely not ready to go home when the time arrived. The main pool is huge and never overcrowded. The resort services many vacationers, but it never feels like it. I think it is in part to how it is layed out. Another huge plus is that the water is safe for drinking!!! If you get the opportunity to go to Mexico, treat yourself to the Palladium. You deserve it. I hope to go back as soon as possible!!

Would not return in the immediate future

The resort is very beautiful, however, it is currently experiencing some growing pains compared to other resorts we have stayed at. The majority of the staff are excellent but some just couldn't care less and are a struggle to deal with. I can live with this, however, they can do a few things that could implement now that would make a huge difference.The exercise room is not air conditioned. It is impossible to take advantage of this facility unless you like to work out in a sauna. I work out almost everyday and simply could not endure the heat no matter how dedicated I wanted to me. It should definately be air conditioned to be a 5 star resort. It was empty all day as people cannot use it. It would have been nice to be able to go for a workout in the heat of the day. This was a big disappointment as we were there for two weeks. Also the equipment in the gym is old. I will never understand why a brand new resort would put old fitness equipment ( some pieces had rust ) in their 5 star facility and advertise it as a fancy exercise facility and spa. It is like putting used cheap tires on a brand new Cadillac. For the extra dollars, they could have had a first class fitness facility which could have been on par with the rest of the resort and other 5 star resorts. This is a good example of being penny wise and dollar foolish.Another problem with this resort is that they don't have "swinging" public bathroom doors which is part of the building code in most countries. With the all the diseases, especially with SARS now, it was appalling to me to have to grap a door handle to get out of any public washroom at the resort after thoroughly washing my hands. You have people at the resort from all over the world. I saw too many people leave the toilet and urinals without washing their hands. It was sickning. Staff also use these washrooms. I ended up grabbing a paper towel when I exited the washroom. I did get quite ill one day and I told several staff and they didn't seem to care which makes me querrive at the resort.My reason for never returning or recommending this resort to anyone would be based on the exercise facility and washroom doors. One these issues have been corrected I would return as the resort itself is beautiful. It will be interesting to see if the resort with invest the few extra dollars to correct these items to make it into a first class facility.The beach is also beautiful but rocky, however, very little can be done about this. The staff should get better as the bad ones get weeded out and the new ones get more experience.

Almost, Almost Perfect!

My family & I recently visited the Fiesta-Palladium Grand Resport & Spa on the Riviera Maya from 5-16/5-24, yes...we just got back. This resort has a perfect beach, perfect food, perfect room ( we stayed in a junoir suite, which I certainly would recommend for more room), perfect grounds which were extremely well maintained, perfect shows & fun group, perfect nature setting, perfect care of you as a guest, they simply can't do enough for you, and of course...a perfect selection of Cuban Cigars!...The "almost perfect" part of this review is that this resort is wonderfully ideal for those who enjoy a simple Pina Colada, or Rum Punch or even a cool Cerveza...but if you are interested in an Absolut Vodka or a Tanqueray Gin after dinner, you are simply out of luck as the amount of so-called Top Shelf Liquor is not readily available. Only the Hemmingway Bar serves a very weak variety of better brands, all else is really, really cheap stuff @ best, heck...even the bartenders apologized for the lack of quality brands, but like I said, if your mixing Rum Punch...I guess all is well! We made arrangements to visit a local liquor store for our in-room evening cocktails). The question is... will we be back? Without a doubt, we will be going back for sure!! This resort is "almost" a Perfect 10 and deserves serious consideration when planning a vacation. Apple rates it a Red 5 Apple, if they offered Top-shelf Brands it would rank a 6 Golden Apple. Also, when there, take a $10 taxi to Jones Sport Bar in Puerto Adventuras for lunch or dinner, it's a nice break away, in a really neat little marina village & ask for a Cohiba Siglo II, best deal in the area:) R.E.Schmit, Wisconsin, USA

One of the Best...

by TripAdvisor Member brs0956

If your looking for a great resort in Mexico, this is the place. In reference to the one negative review I saw on this page about the fitness facilities and public bathrooms, give me a break. Vacationers are not in the fitness room because it doesn't have A/C, but rather because they are on vacation. Obviously there is not a high demand for a Bally's type fitness center, otherwise they would have one. As far as my experience, the service is great. I go to quite a few bars, and have never had service in the states, as I had at this resort. The two bartenders who worked the lobby bar began pouring me a Amber Dos Equis every night before I even sat down or ordered. The entire staff was great, very friendly and courteous. Go to the Hemmingways Bar to get topshelf. Some people can fart through silk and still have something to complain about. I urge you to not hang around these types of people as their attitude is contagious. Relax and enjoy...

Best resort in Mexico

Wonderful place to go. Husband and I went the week of June 8th. The luxury of the lobby and restaurants, the vastness of the pool, the spotlessness of the rooms...everything wonderful.I do have some advice for people traveling there soon:Insulated mugs - not needed, save room in your suitcase for something else.Sweaters, pants - don't bring them. Way too hot.Plastic shoe holder (dollar store) - good idea for hanging in the bathroom for all your toiletteries - keeps them off the counter. A la Carte restaruants - book as soon as you get there.Water shoes - not necessary but may be a good idea. There are some areas that are coral.Excursions - try to book on your own if possible. Very expensive when you book through hotel. Xel-Ha was very cool but you need all day there.Shows - very good but parents beware...very much adult content and the woman ware thongs.Pool chairs - you can always find some available at any hour of the day.Tequila - be careful. Mixed with too much sun - bad combination.Cancun airport - when we left, it was very long line ups and took quite a while. Be prepared for that.If there is anything I didn't cover that you may still have questions about...email me.

ABSOLUTELY the BEST!

by TripAdvisor Member limbiclady

I started to write this several weeks ago, when we returned from one of the best vacations that I have ever had! We stayed at the Kantaneh side of the hotel. Beautiful room, well kept. We had a little difficulty understanding the 2 push buttons for the toilet * ( ha ha). Perfect food. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. The service is impeccable. The drinks are not top shelf, but we didn't pay a top shelf price to go here and got top shelf in every other category!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the lizards, the variety of pools (although the beach is where we were most of the day- which is gorgeous). There are lots of activities for all; volleyball, Spanish lessons; dancing; water polo; bocce (sp?). Willie is a blast!!!!!! You will walk a lot, but we love that; and we aren't shoppers; Playa del Carmen (about 20 minutes away) or Cozumel will have that for you. Kid - friendly, although topless was the order of the day for some bathers, but very discrete. We took scuba lessons and dove 40 feet!!! wow, superb, they took extra care of us on that excursion. I can't remember their names, but MARTIN watched over me like a guardian angel and was a doll. Roberto took video which we watch and laugh. DO IT even if you think you can't - I am 5-0 (like Hawaii 5-0) years old and thought that I could never scuba dive and they helped me tremendously!!!!!!!! The food THE FOOD, was great. choices galore, fresh, healthy, great fruit. The restaurants were okay, we ended up at only at the Japanese because the buffet was SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!The facilities are gorgeous - MARBLE everywhere (don't slip when wet from the pool (ha ha)), but clean, clear....The servers at the buffet took VERY VERY good care of us - so we decided to tip them (in American dollars) - sheesh, they were so grateful and couldn't THANK us enough. The bartenders also were wonderful, so we tipped them too! bring $1 and share with the staff - they go a long way.We had a honeymoon package, which included a last night dinner at the Mexican restaurant - from sombreros to the mariachi bve been), the men were offered TEQUILA shooters and we 'played' with the servers - slamming the shooter on the table and 'shooting it down' - my husband does this every night now, since we have returned (okay, not every night)Bring books that you might leave there, as they don't get many and appreciate what you leave.WE LOVED IT, MET MANY NICE PEOPLE from the US, CANADA and would return.

Planning a second trip next year.

We stayed at the Fiesta Grand from June 28- July 3, 2003. If you love a quiet relaxing vacation this is a great place to go. Been to other areas of Mexico in the past, gotta say I prefer the Rivera Maya. And the Fiesta Grand hotel. The staff is so very friendly, the service is top of the line service. The staff were quick and always served with a smile. We also were happy to see that the staff knew english very well.The food was also excellent.... didn't care too much for the Mexican restaurant selection or food, I've had better. The Italian, Japanese and the buffet was very good. The buffett offered a large selection that I must say was very good food.The resort is very big...lot's of walking. Which I considered to be a good thing....had to burn off some of those calories from eating all that great food.The staff kept the hotel and our room very clean. Fresh towels every day. The grounds were very well maintained, just gorgeous.Transportation was cheap, 1.50 per person to catch a bus, we didn't even have to walk all the way to the bus stop before a bus picked us up. No problem getting around.I really didn't care too much for the work out facilities. The room was very small, and crowed, they did not have a good selection of equipment. Also the staff in the work out room seemed to care more about working out themselves than helping out the guests. Also, the nightly shows started usually close to 10:00 every night, this was a bit late for me ( we have a 4 year old child). Plus I'm one to rise at 5 or 6 in the morning, so by 10:00 I'm kind of tired. Wish they started the shows at 8:00 instead. That's all I can complain about...all else was fantastic.The best thing about this resort... The beach!!! Just loved the beach, it was clean and well maintained. The water is so clear... as your walking into the water you can see fish swimming 3 feet in front of you.We had a great time and look forward to a return visit.

Comments